• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

new 4K monitors @ CES: Will it become the next PC standard?

whitehawk

Banned
4K will become very popular, but the growth will be a lot slower than 1080p. However we already have Apple spewing out products with resolutions larger than 1080p (Macbook Pro, iPad Retina) so the demand is obviously there. Wouldn't surprise me if the next iMac sports a Retina display.

The XBox 720 and PS4 will support 4K video in some way. I'm guessing 4K blu-ray playback will be there (at least on the PS4), each system will be able to upscale to 4K, there will be tech-demos on the store that will run at 4K, and it's possible that the dashboard/menu will have native 4K assets. Games will run at 1080p though.

1-D_FTW

Not a problem.

But I anticipate getting a pair of GTX780s to replace my GTX580s anyway.

That would be 8k

I didn't say it couldn't be done, just that it would be a pain;)

4K will become very popular, but the growth will be a lot slower than 1080p. However we already have Apple spewing out products with resolutions larger than 1080p (Macbook Pro, iPad Retina) so the demand is obviously there. Wouldn't surprise me if the next iMac sports a Retina display.

The XBox 720 and PS4 will support 4K video in some way. I'm guessing 4K blu-ray playback will be there (at least on the PS4), each system will be able to upscale to 4K, there will be tech-demos on the store that will run at 4K, and it's possible that the dashboard/menu will have native 4K assets. Games will run at 1080p though.

I remember getting into arguments about how PS3 supporting 1080p would be a good thing since 1080p panels would be commodity priced by the time it released. I was right about the pricing, wrong about consoles actually doing 1080p. Won't be making that mistake again. At this point, I feel we're going to be thankful if they even support 1080p as a standard rendering resolution.

Dennis

Banned
I am so happy that Apple pushed the whole Retina Display thing.

I imagine they will launch a 4k 30" monitor and that will really drive that segment.

whitehawk

Banned
I don't even have a fucking 1080p monitor yet. Do you need dual GPUs to run games on high comfortably at this resolution though?

YES. I am entirely for this. I'll take 2880x1800 for 1080p retina or whatever over super tiny text any day.
Wait, you don't want 4K, but you want high pixel density? Those two things go hand in hand.

My quick notes:

Why the hate on 16:9? Our eyes naturally have a wide viewing angle so 16:9 is much more natural to use. Or is it that you prefer 16:10?

Deadstar

Graphical beauty and gaming aside, would a 4k computer monitor cause less eye strain than one that runs 1080p? I will buy whatever is able to give me less eye strain while on the computer.

1-D_FTW

Graphical beauty and gaming aside, would a 4k computer monitor cause less eye strain than one that runs 1080p? I will buy whatever is able to give me less eye strain while on the computer.

I don't see why it would. Turn down the brightness if you haven't. Most monitors ship at 100 brightness and should be set at more like 20 when properly calibrated. It's like staring at the sun. Don't know how anyone can stand it.

That sounds perfectly plausible. Assuming the new consoles come out Winter 2013/Spring 2014, what year do you think we would see 4K/8K gaming?

whitehawk

Banned
That sounds perfectly plausible. Assuming the new consoles come out Winter 2013/Spring 2014, what year do you think we would see 4K/8K gaming?
On next-gen consoles? Never, unless 1 or 2 are released as games/tech demos. Kind of how we have a small handful of games this generation that support 1080p (Wipeout HD, Virtua Tennis 4 etc). I imagine new systems in 2020 would support 4K for every game though.

Also because Sony is pushing 4K TV's themselves, you will be seeing a lot more 4K content on the PS4 over the 720.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Nice. Can't wait to get a 4K monitor.

This will also push the need for improved GPUs to keep up with the resolution increase. Good stuff all around.

mephixto

Banned
Most of console ports runs at 45~60 fps at 4k and some modern PC games too, the only issue is that we can't run them natively cause we don't have the monitors capable of 4k yet.

Software and GPU are ready, monitors not.

Derrick01

Banned
I see no need for it. 1080p is perfect for me and I don't want to sacrifice even more power to run at a resolution that I probably won't even be able to tell the difference.

On next-gen consoles? Never, unless 1 or 2 are released as games/tech demos. Kind of how we have a small handful of games this generation that support 1080p (Wipeout HD, Virtua Tennis 4 etc). I imagine new systems in 2020 would support 4K for every game though.

Ah yes, I keep forgetting that few games actually support 1080p. I first realized this while playing Dishonored, of all games. Late to the party, I guess. Having every game look as crisp as Super Stardust HD would be great.

Also because Sony is pushing 4K TV's themselves, you will be seeing a lot more 4K content on the PS4 over the 720.

I would assume this would (somewhat) help Sony's financial troubles.

I'm still going to need 3 monitors to play anything PC related because triple monitors are the only reason I play PC games anyway.

Its only natural progression. Im happy with 1080p gaming at the moment though. I will be looking forward in building myself a 4k rig one day. Unfortunately I dont see this industry switch for another 5 years at least since the new console generarion wont be 4k.

Jinko

4k OLED or nothing.

I'm not sure we even need this high definition, I'm quite happy with 1080p + AA.
Sure if you have a 80-100" screen I could see the benefit.

Nibel

You mean 4K directly in my face?

I would love some nice pixel density; I start to notice that 1080p isn't good enough anymore for me

spuit*11

Banned
I think Eizo already sells a 16:10 4k monitor, for those interested.

I believe it was around 30k. But that was a while ago. So these are probably 10k-ish, or 9k plus something.

4k OLED or nothing.
Samsung still needs to get Laser-induced thermal imaging (LITI) up and running
don't now what LG uses
liti-fmm4gj58.jpg
http://www.oled-display.net/liti-la...ess-suggest-high-resolution-oleds-in-q2-2012/

Got to get people to upgrade their gpu's after they are on par with next-gen, so this is one way. Right now we've had so much gpu power and most games don't take advantage of it.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
What do you think will happen on average mid-end next gen?
  • PC gamers playing at 1440p or higher
  • PC gamers playing at 1080p with more demanding graphic options
  • PC gaming getting cheaper with games running on tablets/All in ones/mini-PCs etc

Edit 1: Official Press Releases with more info

The correct answer.
Assuming the length of next gen isnt vastly longer than our current gen.
Im willing to bet a 2 month ban on that.
1080p & 1200p will still be the PC "standard"

If 2560 x 1440/1600 arent even making a % combined......4K isnt going to do shit....its gonna be less than 1% by the end of next-gen

Why is it called 4k and not 2160p?

4K = 4000

4k is around 4000 pixels across.
4K has a bunch of different resolutions covered, not all of them have 2160 pixel vertically.
But all of them are around 4000 pixels horizontally.

angelfly

Considering the fastest cards now can hardly push 60fps @ 1600p depending on the game I doubt 4k will be the standard anytime soon. I'd be happy with 1440p becoming the new standard.

Reallink

I'd be happy with a 32" - 40" 1440p monitor at a realistic price. Get that 27" garbage outta here already.

Considering the fastest cards now can hardly push 60fps @ 1600p depending on the game I doubt 4k will be the standard anytime soon. I'd be happy with 1440p becoming the new standard.

Eh, what?

My GTX 690 eats most games alive at 1600p.

A lot of the poor performance is due to driver issues and developers who don't care to optimize for PC.

Pagusas

Elden Member
I'd say more realistically we are going to see GPU makers push for advanced scaling options. Yes it would be wonderful to run a game at 4k, but more realistically I expect nVidia and ATI to have an advanced "pixel doubling with antialiasing added and some temporal processing".

Who knows, but I dont expect native 4k modern games anytime soon.

DocSeuss

Forget AA.

What we really need is super high pixel density ("retina display" pixel density).

This is a step in the right direction.

I am down for either a Sharp or LG 30-32" 2160p monitor but we are still quite a way from a sufficient pixel density.

The same 1440 LG panels used in Apple displays can be purchased from Overlord for ~$530 and allow overclocking to 120hz.

kinggroin

Banned
I'm no tech buff but, O_O

You mean to tell me the higher the resolution, the less need for AA?

:O

Learn something new everyday.

More like, the higher the PPI, the less need for AA. Which of course is also affected by display size and seating distance. Resolution alone isn't a good determination of needing AA or not

Edit: All this crazy res talk and in two years I'll probably still be gaming on a 720p display. Heh.

Top Bottom