• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

new 4K monitors @ CES: Will it become the next PC standard?

CES has just started, and already some 4K ish monitors have been revealed.
This is possible due to same new LCD technologies that has made high res mobile screens possible (Nexus 10, iPad etc.)

clipboard05d1bx9.png

CNET & LG Press release via Engadget said:
LG Display, a leading manufacturer of various displays, will showcase AH-IPS (advanced high performance in-plane switching) 30” 4K-class monitor with 4096*2160 (CNET Press Release on Engadget)

Sharp Press Release said:
clipboard04szz8j.png

Sharp Corporation will introduce into the Japanese market a new 32-inch-class LCD monitor, the PN-K321, a professional monitor featuring proprietary IGZO technology and delivering 4K × 2K resolution (3,840 × 2,160 pixels), four times that of full HD. The introduction of this unit marks the beginning of Sharp's continuing commitment to strengthen its lineup of ultra-high-definition displays.(Press Release) (Spec Sheet with more details)

Price: Around $5500 (from Engadget)

Additionally they introduced some very expensive ones like the ViewSonic VP3280-LED ($20.000+)

Resolutions have barely increased from the 1600x1200 CRT Monitors available at the start of this gen (with 1440p&1600p Monitors only beeing around 1% of Steam users)

What do you think will happen on average mid-end next gen?
  • PC gamers playing at 1440p or higher
  • PC gamers playing at 1080p with more demanding graphic options
  • PC gaming getting cheaper with games running on tablets/All in ones/mini-PCs etc

Edit 1: Official Press Releases with more info
added price
Edit 2: Detailed Specs of the sharp monitor (japanese)

JordanKZ

The graphics card required to push 4K is magnitudes higher than 1080p. So right now? No. A few years? Probably.

Karak

It will be ready when true content for that resolution is ready. I will jump at that point.

As for if it will become PC standard. Maybe for some but most likely not for the devs.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
GPU's are going to need a pretty big spike in power to run "next gen" titles at 60 FPS at 4k resolutions. Probably the geforce 980's or so it'll be doable.

TheExodu5

Banned
As long as 1080p can be scaled perfectly without any scaling artifacts (nearest neighbour), I'm ready. Otherwise, I'll pass. It's not worth the loss in performance for newer games.

Tacitus_

You'd probably need a second tower full of GPUs to enjoy the same effects you get now if you wanted to play at native resolution. So not for a while I think.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Whatever monitor manufacturers push out the most will become the norm, like how 16:9 became that for PC games despite most of the userbase hating it and 1200p or 1440p being downgraded to 1080p.

I'd get a 4k monitor once they hit under 400

Durante

You'd probably need a second tower full of GPUs to enjoy the same effects you get now if you wanted to play at native resolution. So not for a while I think.
Nah, it's 4 times 1080p, and GPUs usually gain efficiency at higher resolutions (particularly dual-GPU setups). A single 680 can play many console ports at 4k.

Of course, a resolution bump like this at the same time as switching to new consoles as the asset baseline would require a massive GPU performance increase.

BlackJace

You know, technology does get cheaper.

When I bought my first 1920x1200 monitor it was 900€. Last year I bought a 2560x1440 monitor for 280€.

I don't think so.

It's chances of becoming a standard gets lowered due to the price barrier, but yes, I see where your coming from.

zoku88

What do you think will happen on average mid-end next gen?
  • PC gamers playing at 1440p or higher
  • PC gamers playing at 1080p with more demanding graphic options
  • PC gaming getting cheaper with games running on tablets/All in ones/mini-PCs etc

I would guess that both 1 and 2 would happen.

People tend not to update monitors very much. I'm still using my 1920x1200 BenQ FP241VW from 2007. (this cost me about 700-800 USD)

But I think it would take a while, mostly because of sizes available. The manufacturers seem to be focusing on bigger monitors (30 and 32" !!!) rather than more normal sized ones (24-27")

Durante

It's chances of becoming a standard gets lowered due to the price barrier, but yes, I see where your coming from.
I don't think it will happen quickly of course. The next step is, with this new high-end established, for 1440p to become more mainstream amongst PC gamers.

Nice, it's about time.

I just hope these new panels also have good response times (something better than the current low standards) and no input lag, but I doubt it.

My 10 year old IIYAMA vision master pro is breaking down on me, not looking forward to dealing with the downgrade to lcd:(

BlackJace

I don't think it will happen quickly of course. The next step is, with this new high-end established, for 1440p to become more mainstream amongst PC gamers.

I agree. Devs also have to acknowledge that they are willing to invest in making their titles support the resolution as well.

Dennis

Banned
So these monitors will be out before the new consoles.

Finally, consoles that can do 1080p comes out and PC gamers just goes on to 2160p.......

......its almost cruel!

Is this sarcasm?
Of course not!

Until we get to the point where we get zero temporal aliasing, more is always better!

I accept the advent of 4k resolution monitors with open arms. I want pixel density so high I can't even tell there's pixels there anymore!

Geoff9920

It's inevitable... as long as the option is available some PC gamers will try it. But the standard? Maybe by the end of next gen.

More is (almost) always better and prices always drop. 4k might seem excessive now but I am ready for a resolution bump. Also, items shown at CES are typically at least 6 months to a year before it becomes commercially available so these $20k TVs could soon be reaching the <$10k range.

x3sphere

Sounds like consumer panels are still a ways out, these professional monitors will likely cost at least $10k. Time to start saving though.

Dennis

Banned
Forget AA.

What we really need is super high pixel density ("retina display" pixel density).

This is a step in the right direction.

I am down for either a Sharp or LG 30-32" 2160p monitor but we are still quite a way from a sufficient pixel density.

Arkam

4096x2160 needs to become the standard for both PC and TV in the next few years. I would love to see everyone (expect Mobile) to be on one resolution.

I find 1080p good enough for watching TV or playing some games. But when I am working in UDK, Unity, Maya, etc its not near enough space multiple views open and work efficiently. In fact this need is why I had to upgrade my PC monitors to 1440p screens last year. And even then I am always having to constantly adjust my view port sizes when i am working.

Now I dont expect the transition to happen in the next 18 months, but I really hope it happens relatively soon and that main stream consumers do not fight it. Hopefully we see 4k adoption start to happen later this year and really pick up in 2014/15 and gain momentum.

Dennis

Banned
Sounds like consumer panels are still a ways out, these professional monitors will likely cost at least $10k. Time to start saving though.

$5,500 for the Sharp, February 2013.

I am a medical professional so now to convince my department that I need of these 4k monitors for.......research!

Raide

Amazing tech that will be utterly wasted for the majority of people.

1080p is still the standard, outside of some crazy-ass resolutions PC enthusiasts use.

Eusis

In a few years, I'm sure. I'm way more interested in 4K for monitors than TVs, and once they become affordable I'd definitely like to grab one, preferably at 27 inches though.

Draft

The "standard" resolution is going to get bigger and bigger until display tech reaches some point where no more appreciable gain in detail is possible. 4k will eventually be the standard, then it will be surpassed and replaced with a new standard, and so on and so on.

lefantome

I don't see the point in most work PCs but on gaming PCs and TV definitely!

I'm waiting for the day when I will be able to watch a 4k movie on my ps4 or xbox 720

1-D_FTW

Honestly more interested in the 4K models that just upscale 1080p X4. If the Westinghouse tease was accurate, it also supports 120hz on HDMI. Something that could do 1080p @120hz, but upscale 4X (to keep the pixels square with scaling) so that pixel structure wasn't visible up close, is much more appealing.

With the way GPUs have been advancing of late, it'd be a real pain trying to drive that many pixels (if you value framerate).

xJavonta

Banned
I don't even have a fucking 1080p monitor yet. Do you need dual GPUs to run games on high comfortably at this resolution though?
Forget AA.

What we really need is super high pixel density ("retina display" pixel density).

This is a step in the right direction.

I am down for either a Sharp or LG 30-32" 2160p monitor but we are still quite a way from a sufficient pixel density.

YES. I am entirely for this. I'll take 2880x1800 for 1080p retina or whatever over super tiny text any day.

Top Bottom