• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New 2TB and 512 GB Seagate Expansion Cards for Xbox Series X|S ($400 and $140 respectively) announced

DaGwaphics

There was a thread on the front page with a few people stripping the screw already, also have to remove the face plate and format the drive. Can't just move from one system to another.

Neither choice is wrong, it's what the makers of the system prioritized. Xbox ease of use, and mobility vs Sony lower cost and faster speed.

Completely. MS has never chosen to go with an open-market storage solution, so not sure why people would assume they would this time around. Their solution is more expensive, but it does have some perks associated with it like the small size, portability, ability to use more than one drive with a console thanks to hot swap, etc. With the biggest benefit being no * in regards to software running on the drive, that's nearly impossible to do with a 3rd party drive.

At least they don't go 4 to 5 times the market value like Sony did with Vita, on 360 and here with Xbox Series they don't even get close to that kind of markup.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Completely. MS has never chosen to go with an open-market storage solution, so not sure why people would assume they would this time around. Their solution is more expensive, but it does have some perks associated with it like the small size, portability, ability to use more than one drive with a console thanks to hot swap, etc. With the biggest benefit being no * in regards to software running on the drive, that's nearly impossible to do with a 3rd party drive.

At least they don't go 4 to 5 times the market value like Sony did with Vita, on 360 and here with Xbox Series they don't even get close to that kind of markup.

My brother got a 1tb drive for his new ps5, was $140. He spent $180 for the Xbox 1tb drive. Add an after market heat sink and prices come even closer. I’m sure these $400 ones will hit sales like the 1tb version did.

Last edited:

RPS37

Picking up the 2TB at Best Buy tomorrow. I’m so weak willed. Hopefully I don’t need more storage for a couple years.

Reactions: Isa

IC3M@N FX

Neo Member
Normaly 2TB is pretty insane now with this Price!!!
I buyed the Series S|X Seagate 1TB SSD for 189€ from German Electronic Shop named Saturn for Series S/X and 1TB SSD WD SN550 with enclosure for 89€.
Much of Series S/X Games has a Series Label but are X1XE or Gen9aware Data with old Xbox One SDK not the new GDK with Gen9 Data for Series X, you can play it from normal external SSD without Problems.
You dont need to swap all your Series S|X Games to Internal Storage, i have totally 1,3 TB left from my internal Storage form my Series X with this Setup i think in the Future the Games get smaller.
For example Assassins Creed Valhalla geted a new Update and the Game was 30% smaller now then before.

Last edited:

aries_71

Did I read somewhere that the performance of these expansion cards was not on par of the internal SSD? Or did I dream it?

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Normaly 2TB is pretty insane now with this Price!!!
I buyed the Series S|X Seagate 1TB SSD for 189€ from German Electronic Shop named Saturn for Series S/X and 1TB SSD WD SN550 with enclosure for 89€.
Much of Series S/X Games has a Series Label but are X1XE or Gen9aware Data with old Xbox One SDK not the new GDK with Gen9 Data for Series X, you can play it from normal external SSD without Problems.
You dont need to swap all your Series S|X Games to Internal Storage, i have totally 1,3 TB left from my internal Storage form my Series X with this Setup i think in the Future the Games get smaller.
For example Assassins Creed Valhalla geted a new Update and the Game was 30% smaller now then before.
Interesting, you know the current size?

Got a dualsense charging dock from some Chinese company for €20. The official one was €50 (and pretty much out of stock all the time).

Proprietary hardware sucks.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Got a dualsense charging dock from some Chinese company for €20. The official one was €50 (and pretty much out of stock all the time).

Proprietary hardware sucks.
princess bride Theatre & Musicals GIF

It’s storage ofc it will drop like crazy

A lot of times that depends on the level of competition. Usually when a product is made by many the competition causes the price to drop. Because you can't sell a lot of your product is priced much higher than the competition.

Now I expect the prices to drop around the time that Seagate loses the exclusive rights to produce the drive. That will introduce other manufacturers into the market thus forcing Seagate to lower their prices in order to remain competitive. However I have no idea when that will happen.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
A lot of times that depends on the level of competition. Usually when a product is made by many the competition causes the price to drop. Because you can't sell a lot of your product is priced much higher than the competition.

Now I expect the prices to drop around the time that Seagate loses the exclusive rights to produce the drive. That will introduce other manufacturers into the market thus forcing Seagate to lower their prices in order to remain competitive. However I have no idea when that will happen.

obv only when this happens ofc

obv only when this happens ofc

Also take into account that it's propietary so not everyone will be producing them. Even with competition it might not be as competitive as the PC NVME market. Thus prices might not drop as much as you believe they will.

FrankWza

Did I read somewhere that the performance of these expansion cards was not on par of the internal SSD? Or did I dream it?
"Making use of the new Xbox Velocity Architecture storage system, the card is able to hit incredibly fast transfer and load speeds. It’s not quite as speedy at the built-in storage,"

"As for speed, the Seagate Xbox Storage Expansion Card is incredibly fast, supporting all the same Quick Resume features and speedy loading times that the console’s internal drive supports. It’s not quite as fast (booting a save of Yakuza: Like a Dragon from the card from the home screen took 45 seconds from the card, and around 37 from internal storage), but it’s still much faster than previous console generation solutions offered. And, when it comes to loading times once in-game, the gap closes significantly so as to be almost imperceptible to anyone but those carrying a stopwatch around."

www.pcmag.com

Seagate Storage Expansion Card for Xbox Series X|S Review

The Seagate Storage Expansion Card is an easy, if pricey, way to add 1TB of storage to your Xbox Series S or X, while nearly matching the internal SSD's fast performance.
www.pcmag.com
www.pcmag.com

"Almost as fast as the internal SSD Easy to install Small size"

Topher

Gold Member
"Making use of the new Xbox Velocity Architecture storage system, the card is able to hit incredibly fast transfer and load speeds. It’s not quite as speedy at the built-in storage,"

"As for speed, the Seagate Xbox Storage Expansion Card is incredibly fast, supporting all the same Quick Resume features and speedy loading times that the console’s internal drive supports. It’s not quite as fast (booting a save of Yakuza: Like a Dragon from the card from the home screen took 45 seconds from the card, and around 37 from internal storage), but it’s still much faster than previous console generation solutions offered. And, when it comes to loading times once in-game, the gap closes significantly so as to be almost imperceptible to anyone but those carrying a stopwatch around."

www.pcmag.com

The Seagate Storage Expansion Card is an easy, if pricey, way to add 1TB of storage to your Xbox Series S or X, while nearly matching the internal SSD's fast performance.
www.pcmag.com
www.pcmag.com

I'd expect at least equivalent performance for that price.

Frustrated Skip Bayless GIF

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.

www.pcmag.com
www.pcmag.com

That is a shame, but that review is based off one single game test in which the speed was matched in one condition and lagged behind in another. As long this thing can store the XSX native games, I am okay with it.

As for the price, it is already being sold at scalper prices on amazon.com, so it was now or never. Depriving myself of the ability to enjoy my free time for a year or two to save myself $100-$200 sounds ridiculous to me. Life is short.

DaGwaphics

That is a shame, but that review is based off one single game test in which the speed was matched in one condition and lagged behind in another. As long this thing can store the XSX native games, I am okay with it.

As for the price, it is already being sold at scalper prices on amazon.com, so it was now or never. Depriving myself of the ability to enjoy my free time for a year or two to save myself $100-$200 sounds ridiculous to me. Life is short.

Whatever the actual guarantee is to developers, I'm sure the expansion card can hit that. The system drive is running the OS as well as the game which ensures that the specs that devs work from will be slightly lower than the peak performance of the internal drive anyway.

I just find the price outrageous
They are. I just added a 1TB SSD to my PS5, which reads up to 6100MB/s for $130. That's 3x faster, as well as nearly $100 cheaper, than the Series X 1TB expansion card. I can get a 2TB one for $250. That's $150 cheaper than the Series X 2TB expansion card. And the prices for the 3rd party SSDs are going to continue to fall. Much faster than the Series X ones, anyway.

Last edited:

RPS37

Just got home with my 2TB.
Now my 5TB external USB HDD isn’t displaying any of the games on it…..

Halp!

Edit: made a thread and fixed it five minutes later.
For some reason, they were conflicting with each other.
Had to unplug the expansion card and restart.

Last edited:
Western digital had some issue recently Where they had to reject a bunch of SSD.
Prices soon going up. Grab whats on tbe shelf while you can.

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
This is the Vita memory cards all over again. Sony made the right call to go with standard PC SSDs. Sure they're not much cheaper yet but in a couple of years price will come down quite a bit I'd imagine; not sure if the same can be said of these proprietary cards though.
XSX has 820GB free space, TF you need an expansion card for? Even fir Series S it doesn't make sense, it's a GamePass machine - how many games are you playing at the same time?

Top Bottom