• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New 2TB and 512 GB Seagate Expansion Cards for Xbox Series X|S ($400 and $140 respectively) announced

Rossco EZ

i don’t think i’m actually gonna buy one of these now unless i see a crazy offer and get the 1TB for like £100. i can see them being useless when this gen ends.

S0ULZB0URNE

Skimming some articles, CDN prices are

512gb: $180
1tb: $300
2tb: $520

I've been fine managing 1tb. I just got to be picky and not just install everything like it's old gen external HDD.

If 1tb SSD card came down 50%, I'd bite. My 3tb HDD in 2014 cost $110. I know that isnt happening, so forget it. Even a 1tb at $200 cdn forget it.
It's vastly superior tech though.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
I gave my series x to my brother since I’m back in PC, he uses it all the time now to move his games from the series x in his room to the one in the family room. Prices really need to drop some but it is nice being so easy to move.

ArcaneNLSC

They finally set the prices here and pre orders in Australia for the 2TB expansion drives.

8yd2UmK.jpg

FrankWza

well you did say storage. System has a SSD already, usb storage will be fine for vast majority of people. End user has options either way.
Another rule for series s dcmk7 dcmk7 . Same people who can’t afford more than $299 in the other thread are going to love the $80+ markup because it’s so convenient to switch drives. 500gb SSDs faster than this were going for $65 over the weekend

Warnen

Another rule for series s dcmk7 dcmk7 . Same people who can’t afford more than $299 in the other thread are going to love the $80+ markup because it’s so convenient to switch drives. 500gb SSDs faster than this were going for $65 over the weekend

Why? Console has a SSD, usb drives for storage are abundant.

Last edited by a moderator:

Leonidas

Anytime I feel bad about spending $650 on 8 TB worth of PC SSDs this year I'll remind myself of Xbox Series SSD prices.

Wonder how long it'll be before we see 2 TB internal for Series X and if they're going to charge a ridiculous premium for that too.

RPS37

Anytime I feel bad about spending $650 on 8 TB worth of PC SSDs this year I'll remind myself of Xbox Series SSD prices.

Wonder how long it'll be before we see 2 TB internal for Series X and if they're going to charge a ridiculous premium for that too.
I feel like the revision/more storage consoles are farrrr off now.

Only the expansion cards are capable of running Series X games. Unless people plan to keep transferring files you will need to get this expansion card at some point especially if you only have 500 GB to work with on the Series S … it’s as simple as that.

RPS37

Only the expansion cards are capable of running Series X games. Unless people plan to keep transferring files you will need to get this expansion card at some point especially if you only have 500 GB to work with on the Series S … it’s as simple as that.

Nah people can just keep deleting and redownloading their games.
/s

DrAspirino

Banned
Propriety sucks, I want one of these, but it's way too much to justify.

Wish MS had given us alternative storage options, which were less eye watering.
Like the x360 generation, hackers stepped up with storage solutions :D

It's not an ideal solution, but it's there. Hopefully prices will decrease in time, although I really doubt it, given the worldwide chip shortages.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots

When you say it that way it makes the series S look like a deal, the storage included makes up 21.6% of it's price right there. And you can't even buy a crappy GPU for pc for $250, let alone the PS, ram, case, etc..... seems like a good gaming value to me.
I think that's the other part of the equation that is lost - in the overall gaming market (not just consoles), where does the S sit in term of value? Some say not so much vs the X and Ps5 with their more powerful GPU's and storage, (which are largely unavailable, so is it even something to compare to?), but even if you 100% accept that, when you go and compare to PC it looks like a super deal, even with only 500gb of storage.

Last edited:

RPS37

Over the next 5-7 years? (Rest of the console gen)^

Forgot that lol, I had to get the 1TB for the Series X. 2 TB should be plenty for me for now. Hopefully the prices come down soon.
It was sarcasm.
I hate deleting and re-downloading games.
Moving to external isn’t working out that great either.

Will cop the insanely priced 2TB right when it becomes available.

Last edited:

BigBooper

I just use a external 2TB ssd and move things to it if I'm not actively playing. I used to think I'd get the official expansion, but I don't really feel like I need it now. If game sizes skyrocket more I might.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

There is door number 3......finish a game and then delete it........do we all really need to play 8 games at once? (I mean I do it too, but sometimes its just annoying, should really just finish the ones I started.. )

Jemm

There is door number 3......finish a game and then delete it........do we all really need to play 8 games at once? (I mean I do it too, but sometimes its just annoying, should really just finish the ones I started.. )
When the talk is about Quick Resume, nobody needs it since who plays more than one game at the time, anyway?
When the talk is about storage expansions, then all the games have to be installed at once.

Warnen

Thread turned into hoarders the gamer edition. Gotta have every game I own with in hand reach at all times…

Redownload, nope data caps
usb cold storage, who has 5 mins to transfer a game
$500 2tb card is the only option..

Rossco EZ

Thread turned into hoarders the gamer edition. Gotta have every game I own with in hand reach at all times…

i’m still surprised xbox didn’t offer a 2tb series x, i hope if there’s a refresh or mid gen upgrade they offer more storage built in.

Warnen

i’m still surprised xbox didn’t offer a 2tb series x, i hope if there’s a refresh or mid gen upgrade they offer more storage built in.

I wouldn’t be surprised with 4tb units before end of the gen.

THE DUCK

When the talk is about Quick Resume, nobody needs it since who plays more than one game at the time, anyway?
When the talk is about storage expansions, then all the games have to be installed at once.

In most cases, you could still fit a bunch of games even on an 500gb.......so your counter point is kind of lost.

Kilau

Gold Member
It's amazing how uncapped 1Gb internet makes me care so little about storage space on these consoles.

ReBurn

Gold Member

For real. A 4TB USB external HDD is like 90 bucks or less right now. Just store a copy of your games on one of those and transfer them over when you want to play again.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

We are coming full circle, folks.

$400!!! Yikes!!!. My recommendation would be a PS5 DE $400 USD w/ a 2 TB 980 Pro $350 USD. Great value there and when you are done with the PS5 you can keep the drive for your PC.

Warnen

Dude its one screw. You are giving up the flexibility of a much better NVME drive over one screw? I hope you dont buy Ikea furniture.

There was a thread on the front page with a few people stripping the screw already, also have to remove the face plate and format the drive. Can't just move from one system to another.

Neither choice is wrong, it's what the makers of the system prioritized. Xbox ease of use, and mobility vs Sony lower cost and faster speed.

There was a thread on the front page with a few people stripping the screw already, also have to remove the face plate and format the drive. Can't just move from one system to another.

Neither choice is wrong, it's what the makers of the system prioritized. Xbox ease of use, and mobility vs Sony lower cost and faster speed.

I'll definitely let you know if I strip mine. Also I'll try not to use a hammer to put the NVME as I've heard that several did that to their systems.

Frankly I couldn't care less but you do you.

Cool nice that you care and I'll keep you updated on how difficult it is. Since your claiming that it's very difficult to do I'll see if you're right or not. Haven't heard of a massive widespread issue with the NVME installation though.

Warnen

Cool nice that you care and I'll keep you updated on how difficult it is. Since your claiming that it's very difficult to do I'll see if you're right or not. Haven't heard of a massive widespread issue with the NVME installation though.

never claimed it was difficult, never claimed it was an issue. If you are going to insist it’s easier then plugging a card into a slot, then die on that mountain, can’t argue with a fool.

Last edited:
never claimed it was difficult, never claimed it was an issue. If you are going to insist it’s easier then plugging a card into a slot, then die on that mountain, can’t argue with a fool.

Well if that's how you feel then I suggest you take lessons on how to be more respectful to others.

Never insulted you BTW in case you thought I was.

Also I never said it was easier. Just saying it's not impossible for the majority of people. Sony's solution is still a very good one whether you like it or not. Just like how Microsoft's is a better solution to some people Sony's NVME option will be better for some others. That's the way this works if you didn't know.

Last edited:
:/ vita died because of this stuff, good thing these consoles have internal storage
Until the internal SSD dies. With the Series consoles it's atleast replaceable but in the PS5 it's soldered onto the board. I used to work in a repair shop and you don't want to know how many laptops I've personally written off because the on board SSD died, dooming the entire motherboard to the parts bin.

Top Bottom