• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New 2TB and 512 GB Seagate Expansion Cards for Xbox Series X|S ($400 and $140 respectively) announced

KAOS

Wish it was priced a little lower but I really want that 2 TB memory card! With all these games coming out and with GP and BC the Xbox library is way pass 1,000 games already!

I'm fine with just installing/uninstalling games as needed. I would like an expansion drive for captures etc but I'm not paying an arm and a leg to do so.

Leyasu

Banned
I already have the 1tb expansion card, along with a 1tb normal SSD for BC games. 3tb total with a shit load of games and my internal currently untouched. I'm good for now. Also 1gig fibre means that deleting and redownloading big games in minutes makes things easy

ethomaz

Banned
How did SONY learn it the hard way? considering they offered the solution since 2006 ???

If you are taking a ding at them for Vita mem cards.. well that's another story..

images

It is the same… proprietary standard vs industry standard.

Last edited:

I'm dead serious too. I literally have 3.

I just bought my 3rd one of these. Bought two before launch and finally panic purchased a 3rd from Amazon after hearing murmurs they might become increasingly rare to get your hands on, at least in the short term. The ultimate goal in getting so many was I wanted to be able to as conveniently as possible move around with as many ready to play Series X|S titles as possible without re-downloading. Plus they kinda remind me of back in the day when I carried around PS1/PS2 or Dreamcast memory cards. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

u2XzUEh.png

It arrived a day early.

MutnwE9.jpg
7Nr3DUd.jpg

I hadn't used a single one of these things because I felt there was no immediate need to do so. Had plenty of space I felt, and plus my 4TB USB external was amazing for transfer speeds. I was moving stuff back and forth way quicker than I thought I would be able to 9-15+ minutes, which made me think I definitely don't really need to immediately crack open any of the expansion cards yet. My motivation for checking into this now is largely because of the recent attention the subject has gotten with the big PS5 update and seeing some streamers and DF do some of their own tests moving stuff back and forth. I don't know and I haven't really checked if I've seen anyone perform a direct transfer between the Series X internal and the official Seagate expansion card, so I tried it myself just now and holy fucking shit. Results are in the title. Less than 2 minutes!

Can't just be the raw speed is my thinking, so they're probably utilizing some kind of real-time compression/decompression to speed things up at the system level. Anybody that copies stuff from one drive to another on Series X|S will know that there is always this strange and obvious pause at the start when you choose to start copying. Maybe that right there is the triggering of a combo of real-time compression together with the decompression hardware to speed the process up, which would naturally work best between the internal and the official expansion card. Maybe the CPU is also being used too for all I know. Also, the expansion card has 118GB more space than the internal series x drive, which is nice to see.

Others with the expansion card, how you liking the speeds? How is it once it fills up more?

sendit

I'm dead serious too. I literally have 3.

I do not not believe you. I'm just questioning why?

I do not not believe you. I'm just questioning why?

Well, I definitely wanted at least two from the start, but I also panicked, thinking they would be difficult to find, so I made sure to pounce on a 3rd when the chance presented itself. It isn't like I'll never make use of them. I already am, and it allows me to easily carry up to 3TB worth of Series X titles with me depending on circumstances.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Previous gen I had a 4tb drive hooked up and thought 1tb would be hard to make work. I did the cold storage thing with the 4tb drive and ended up picking up the 1tb expansion when I saw it for £150. That still felt like a lot for not much, but there we go.

Tbh, I'm well under 2tb of games stored now and have a number of games installed that I'm never going to play. I still have my old 4tb for old games and cold storage if I really, really need it but 2tb is still a lot of games. I have 46 games installed including Call of Duty (231gb!!!) Avengers (128gb) Flight Simulator (102gb) Forza Horizon 4 (78gb) Doom Eternal (72gb) Sea of Thieves (60gb) and I still have 340gb left over. That's enough for another 11 installs of Resident Evil 8 (30gb)

I'm not saying the cards are great value or anything, but I don't think anyone really needs to get upset about the cost of 2tb cards, given how few people should consider getting one.

Probably has something to do with the fact that Series S doesn't have enough storage, and the cost to upgrade said storage would have been better spent getting just getting an X.

I bet even your best bro austin evans could have figured that much out
Name a single game that doesn't fit in the XSS storage. You might not know this but this expansion isn't necessary for the XSS to get more space to store games by the way and it had this capability from day one. If the storage expansion solution you offer a gamer on a budget, target audience for the XSS, is to buy a console that costs $200 more vs simply getting an external hard drive it's clear you have no idea what you are talking about. That is a theme for the Xbox's biggest detractors. These are simply an expensive, OPTIONAL, and more flexible storage solution. No one has to buy it if they don't want it.

ethomaz

Banned
Animated GIF

I really hated how expensive they were.
It was ridiculous.
I have a Vita where I played like two games… Persona 4 Golden and the Trail Steel something series.

Here in Brasil I could literally buy several SDs cards at the price of the Vita memory card lol

Last edited:

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Why would anyone do that? It's not cheap and the formfactor is a limitation.
Its expensive? I doubt it.the mechanism and shell cant cost more then a few dollers. And people would use it because of convience and it would give more use cases for the series SSD's.

truth411

New 2TB and 512GB Seagate Storage Expansion Cards for Xbox Series X|S - Xbox Wire
Seagate_SEC_Family.jpg

Seagate Storage Expansion Cards for Xbox Series X|S

Xbox Game Pass has made it possible for Xbox gamers to have a library of games at their very fingertips. Between Game Pass and four generations of game compatibility on Xbox Series X|S, there are thousands of games to choose from and play. With so many games available, we want to ensure there are also options when it comes to storage capacity and support to expand next-gen storage.

At the launch of Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S, Designed for Xbox announced the close collaboration with Seagate to expand next-gen storage with the 1TB Seagate Storage Expansion Card. Designed for Xbox has collaborated with Seagate once again, and we’re excited to announce 512GB and 2TB Storage Expansion Cards for Xbox Series X|S will be available soon in all Xbox markets.

The Seagate 512GB Storage Expansion Card for Xbox Series X|S is available for pre-order today from Walmart in the United States for $139.99 USD (US Dollars) and will launch mid-November. For other markets and availability, please check your local retailer.

The Seagate 2TB Storage Expansion Card for Xbox Series X|S will be available for pre-order in November for $399.99 USD and will launch early December. The Seagate 2TB Storage Expansion Card will also be the next product featuring the Designed for Xbox Limited Series badge, ensuring premium product quality, performance, and design.
We are only a few months in and This is a good example of why Open Market is always better than Proprietary.

You can get an M.2. More than fast enough for the PS5.
On Amazon you can get a M.2 1TB for $165-$200.
A 2TB M.2. For $340-$400.
Right now the 2TB SN850 black is $340
Sabrent Rocket 4 Plus 2TB is $360.
Competition drives the price down and its only going down further next year and plummet when PCIE 5.0 M.2s hit the market.

Honestly I thought the Xbox 2TB SSD would cost more, its not a terrible price but because its proprietary they cant knock the price down very much. In a couple of years Xbox is going to have a PS Vita storage situation on its hands.

You said it was like the vita, you needed to buy a mem card with every system. Xbox doesn’t have that issue.

I agree the prices are high, but unlike the vita not every user has to deal with it. Also unlike the vita these cards drop in price all the time, the 1tb was been $179 many times.
Not everyone had to deal with it on the vita either... They usually came bundled with a small one.

To MS's credit you still have the option to play some games from USB storage, which alleviate the need for more internal storage (putting my ps4 games on a decent USB drive did it for me as I have only two real ps5 games).

But still the main point of that you pay too much for something because it comes in a special package.

Name a single game that doesn't fit in the XSS storage. You might not know this but this expansion isn't necessary for the XSS to get more space to store games by the way and it had this capability from day one. If the storage expansion solution you offer a gamer on a budget, target audience for the XSS, is to buy a console that costs $200 more vs simply getting an external hard drive it's clear you have no idea what you are talking about. That is a theme for the Xbox's biggest detractors. These are simply an expensive, OPTIONAL, and more flexible storage solution. No one has to buy it if they don't want it.

Good lord you stan so hard it makes me want to hire you to be my shill

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Just spend another $100 and have 2 XSX's with 2TB storage!
The amount of profit floating around on these cards has got to be giant.

2TB $400 US.

Buying it from a store, they probably make $100 profit.

That leaves Seagate selling it to them for $300. What's the ballpark cost to make a customized 2TB card? $50? $100 tops?

GHG

Gold Member
GHG GHG

Not everthing is console wars.
The fact you guys take issue with a perfectly harmless query is worrying.

No, what's more worrying is the fact that you seem to have zero idea about anything in the PC space.

• People aren't retards and can operate a screwdriver. Therefore should they have an NVMe slot on their motherboard installation is not an issue and at most takes a couple of minutes. Other than installing RAM it's the easiest thing you can do.
  • Should you not have an NVMe slot on your motherboard you can install any NVMe drive in one of these that slot into a PCIe slot - again it takes just a couple of minutes:
71v0Hn1SLBL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

• If you want an external solution then these enclosures already exist and you can plug it into a USB C port allowing you to enjoy lightning speeds. Again, it takes a couple of seconds:

images

So no, you can take your proprietary fondle slot "solution" and shove it up your arse. Nobody else wants it and nobody else needs it. PC gamers/users certainly aren't about to spend obscene amounts of money on these overpriced drives.

Last edited:

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
No, what's more worrying is the fact that you seem to have zero idea about anything in the PC space.

• People aren't retards and can operate a screwdriver. Therefore should they have an NVMe slot on their motherboard installation is not an issue and at most takes a couple of minutes. Other than installing RAM it's the easiest thing you can do.
  • Should you not have an NVMe slot on your motherboard you can install any NVMe drive in one of these that slot into a PCIe slot - again it takes just a couple of minutes:
71v0Hn1SLBL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

• If you want an external solution then these enclosures already exist and you can plug it into a USB C port allowing you to enjoy lightning speeds. Again, it takes a couple of seconds:

images

So no, you can take your proprietary fondle slot "solution" and shove it up your arse. Nobody else wants it.
Lol, afterall that, some folks would still like the option to use series ssd's on PC.
How is having the option a bad thing?

TheMan

There is seriously no point in buying a fucking hard drive that costs 80% as much as the goddamn console. What in the world are they thinking

FrankWza

Oh, u just think its a bad idea.

Well its better then having them only for series consoles.
Then they can make an xbox SSD to usb cable like those sata to usb cables. Didn’t xbox have a wireless to USB adapter that allowed their proprietary wireless products would work on pc?

Last edited:
Top Bottom