• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neve Campbell Confirms She Won’t Return for ‘Scream 6’

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
scream-22.png

As we told you earlier this morning, we had been hearing that the rumors were true and Neve Campbell wouldn’t be returning for Scream 6, and Campbell now makes that official.

Campbell tells Deadline this afternoon, “Sadly I won’t be making the next Scream film.”

The actress continues, “As a woman I have had to work extremely hard in my career to establish my value, especially when it comes to Scream. I felt the offer that was presented to me did not equate to the value I have brought to the franchise.”

“It’s been a very difficult decision to move on. To all my Scream fans, I love you. You’ve always been so incredibly supportive to me. I’m forever grateful to you and to what this franchise has given me over the past 25 years,” adds Campbell.

This makes Scream 6 the very first film in the franchise to not feature franchise heroine Sidney Prescott. The new sequel brings Ghostface back to theaters on March 31, 2023.

Scream 6‘s official plot description reads, “The Scream saga continues with the four survivors of the Ghostface killings as they leave Woodsboro behind and start a fresh chapter.”

Melissa Barrera (“Sam”), Jasmin Savoy Brown (“Mindy”), Mason Gooding (“Chad”), and Jenna Ortega (“Tara”) are all confirmed to return in the next installment of Spyglass Media and Paramount Pictures’ Scream film franchise, alongside Hayden Panettiere as Scream 4 character Kirby. Just last week, Dermot Mulroney (Umma) became the latest to sign on.

At the helm of next year’s brand new sequel are Radio Silence’s Matt Bettinelli-Olpin and Tyler Gillett (Scream, Ready or Not) with James Vanderbilt (Scream, Murder Mystery) & Guy Busick (Scream, Ready or Not) co-writing the screenplay. Project X Entertainment’s Vanderbilt, Paul Neinstein and William Sherak are serving as producers

Source

Related articles

What do you guys think of this.
Sidney Prescott Sidney Prescott

I'm not sure about Matthew Lillards comparison, but he's been a bit of idiot as if late imo
Tom Cruise is the lead of Top Gun Maverick so obviously he would get paid more
Neve Campbell wasn't the lead in Scream 2022 and she wouldn't have been for Scream 6.
And as much as I'd love Neve to be the lead, Melissa Barrera is the lead now and she's just a gust appearance.

Might be a coincidence but Scream 6 has rumoured to now be delayed.

Last edited:
"I have had to work extremely hard in my career to establish my value, especially when it comes to Scream. I felt the offer that was presented to me did not equate to the value I have brought to the franchise.”

It always comes down to this. Unfortunate but understandable.

They should pay her clearly, the fans want it, but at same time the movie is not going to do amazing. Scream 5 did alright, wasn't massive but it was also a big return of the franchise. Scream 6 is going to do and offer what? What's going to bring people back? If we follow the trends of these horror reboots, they launch big, but the follow ups always tumble in the box office. Scream 6 is no doubt gonna make less money, the studio should know this so they are likely being stingy.
If they can't afford the cast, they probably needed to be more conservative and stop trying to bring EVERYONE back. The legacy characters in 5 to me were very wasted and brought back to just have some shock value to the stakes. But really was Sidney important to 5? Not really, they didn't need to bring Gale back either. Maybe Dewey alone or just one character, but let's have the characters finally move on with their lives.

Scream 6 is apparently not delayed, they just started filming on schedule

Last edited:

TGO

Neve Campbell is a justified legend. Pay her what she's worth, or stop wasting her time.
From what I've heard she was offered 2 million for 4 days shooting.
Seems she had a small part again.
But this is just rumblings, probably not true.

Last edited:
I adore Neve Campbell (she was probably one of my first celebrity crushes as a kid), but let's be real - Courtney Cox is probably getting paid more than Neve because she's a bigger name (just like what happened with a few seasons of Friends), so I wouldn't be surprised if Neve tried (and failed) to negotiate a similar salary as her bigger costar.

But really, does it matter? Without Wes Craven, it's going to be a pale imitation just like Scream 5. They probably would have killed her character off anyways, since that's the go-to tactic for shock value in modern sequels.

People are saying “pay her” when we don’t know what she’s asking or what was offered. The last Scream movie was the lowest grossing bar Scream 4.

People are saying “pay her” when we don’t know what she’s asking or what was offered. The last Scream movie was the lowest grossing bar Scream 4.

Right and Scream 6 is no doubt going to make less. There is nothing that would indicate that the next one is going to make as much or more, Scream 5 was an event with being a "reboot" after a long absence. More ghostface a year later is not going to put buts in the seats.

Scream 5 was also done on a very tight budget of around 24 mil. Screams 3 and 4 were around 40 mil and Scream 5 made less than 3 not factoring in inflation. Scream 6's budget is probably about same as 5's or even less cause if the studio is smart, they know that the film is not going to perform the same as 5.

And to secure returning actors they typically get to command higher pay, so the whole cast is taking up more budget most likely.

This is the problem with Scream having so many recurring characters, they have extremely inflated high budgets compared to your typical slasher films and it's all for actor salaries

Forget this talk about upcoming Scream movies. Can we all agree on Dewey's death being some stupid shit? Same goes for that woman stabbed in suburbia during the daytime.

Eh modern day suburbia is pretty strange beast nowadays. Everyone indoors, kids out on street less. Anything like that happen in front of a house on my street during the day, good chance no one would notice for some time.

I mean it was a stupid move for the killer but can see it. Was done clearly for the shock factor cause no one expects that move.

TGO

98mil Vs 140mil
The first Scream was 170mil
But regardless It was still considered a big success, hence why the sequel was green-lit so fast.
I mean it was okay, I was surprised by how many survived...but then I realized who survived and who died and that it was 2022 🙄

98mil Vs 140mil
The first Scream was 170mil
But regardless It was still considered a big success, hence why the sequel was green-lit so fast.
I mean it was okay, I was surprised by how many survived...but then I realized who survived and who died and that it was 2022 🙄

First scream had a more reasonable for a slasher film 14mil budget only.

These movies got wayyyy to expensive for the slasher genre and weren't bringing in enough. Scream 5 cut the budget nearly in half. No way there were gonna allocate more budget for 6 when it was still the 2nd lowest performing of the series.

TGO

First scream had a more reasonable for a slasher film 14mil budget only.

These movies got wayyyy to expensive for the slasher genre and weren't bringing in enough. Scream 5 cut the budget nearly in half. No way there were gonna allocate more budget for 6 when it was still the 2nd lowest performing of the series.
I mean the budget was kinda felt in the last one.
I'm sure people was expecting some well known actor to be the opening kill.
And I wouldn't call the cast well known outside Jack Quad and returning characters.
And Jenna Ortega isn't anywhere near previous opening kills.

I mean the budget was kinda felt in the last one.
I'm sure people was expecting some well known actor to be the opening kill.
And I wouldn't call the cast well known outside Jack Quad and returning characters.
And Jenna Ortega isn't anywhere near previous opening kills.

The budget most likely went on getting back the other cast members. The legacy crew no doubt got more than anyone else with Courtney Cox still has a lucrative career in Hollywood going so she's probably getting more than anyone.

Slashers typically bring in all new casts and complete nobodies to keep budgets to almost nothing. Scream keeps bringing folks back, even if not huge stars, they still have some names attached compared to most slashers, and to get them to return for sequels typically means they get a pay raise. So if Scream 6 is gonna get a similar budget, they are gonna be tight on their pay. Even if they want Neve back, it's likely not in the budget. Cox was one of the first announced for this so she's apparently got a big role and probably ate up most of the star power budget they had.

But budget is not really needed for a slasher film, nothing in the other Screams call for it, there is no big set pieces, effects, nothing like that. This is stuff that you get in any slasher film made for under 10 mil. The scream series budget is completely base on the cast salaries.

They should have finally said goodbye to the legacy characters for good with 5 truthfully.

Last edited:

TGO

The budget most likely went on getting back the other cast members. The legacy crew no doubt got more than anyone else with Courtney Cox still has a lucrative career in Hollywood going so she's probably getting more than anyone.

Slashers typically bring in all new casts and complete nobodies to keep budgets to almost nothing. Scream keeps bringing folks back, even if not huge stars, they still have some names attached compared to most slashers, and to get them to return for sequels typically means they get a pay raise. So if Scream 6 is gonna get a similar budget, they are gonna be tight on their pay. Even if they want Neve back, it's likely not in the budget. Cox was one of the first announced for this so she's apparently got a big role and probably ate up most of the star power budget they had.

But budget is not really needed for a slasher film, nothing in the other Screams call for it, there is no big set pieces, effects, nothing like that. This is stuff that you get in any slasher film made for under 10 mil. The scream series budget is completely base on the cast salaries.

They should have finally said goodbye to the legacy characters for good with 5 truthfully.
To be honest Scream shouldn't really exist without Sidney, Scream lives and dies with her.
Sure someone could put on the mask and go on a killing spree. But to put THAT mask on?
Why? what the reason for it other than being unoriginal.

But on the subject of salaries both Courtney & Hayden have sign up and they are worth more then Neve, so unless they went cheap.
What was Neve asking for?

Last edited:

Doom85

Honestly, just hearing Hayden’s character Kirby from 4 is returning will make it up for me, she is easily the best character in terms of those introduced in the sequels.

I liked Scream 5, but it did feel like it mostly worked on its own with the new cast plus Dewey. They KINDA tie it to Sydney at the end but the plot could have easily have worked without her. 1-4, yes, she was integral to the plot, but it feels like the series can move on without her. I feel they could retire Gale as well, without Sydney or Dewey with her she wouldn’t add much IMHO.

Also glad to hear it will be outside Woodsboro, and hopefully not another suburbia setting. 2 and 3 had different types of setting, and while 4 and 5 did have reasons to have it set back in Woodsboro, I’d like future movies to continue mixing up the types of setting like 2 and 3 did.

TGO

Didn’t even know about Scream 3
Scream 3 had Lance Henriksen, Carrie Fisher, Jenny McCarthy, Patrick Dempsey & Patrick Warburton in it.
It's funny because it was set in Hollywood and suggested the directors & producers was blackmailing actresses with sex to help further their career.
Carrie Fisher played someone who worked at the studio but looked like Carrie Fisher.
But didn't get the part because she didn't sleep with George Lucas.
Ironic for Weinstein production

Last edited:

Doom85

Scream 3 had Lance Henriksen, Carrie Fisher, Jenny McCarthy, Patrick Dempsey & Patrick Warburton in it.
It's funny because it was set in Hollywood and suggested the directors & producers was blackmailing actresses with sex to help further their career.
Carrie Fisher played someone who worked at the studio but looked like Carrie Fisher.
But didn't get the part because she didn't sleep with George Lucas.
Ironic for Weinstein production

Personally 3 was the weakest for me. Still okay, but needed work.

-the characters of the actors and actresses on the Stab set were the most forgettable supporting cast of any of the movies IMHO. Also Patrick Warburton felt underutilized, and I’m pretty sure wasting the treasure known as Patrick Warburton in a role was declared a crime against humanity by the United Nations in 1964 when he was born (sorry, but I seriously love the guy, he is just always pure fun to watch)
-having only one killer made the reveal too obvious before it happened
-I get they wanted the shock value, but killing Cotton off that early was a mistake. I feel Randy’s warning about anyone potentially dying would have been more impactful if Cotton had died shortly after the scene with Randy’s message to reinforce the idea. Instead they’re separated by quite a few scenes so the suspense wasn’t as strong to me. Like, Randy dying roughly 2/3 through 2 was shocking and made the climax more suspenseful as if they were willing to kill Randy it felt like another major character could also die. 3 never quite gave me that feeling.
-the killer has a strong connection to Sydney…..and they only meet face to face (as in no mask) after he reveals himself. This would be like if Vader revealed who he was to Luke via hacking into his X-wing comms in the Episode 4 climax, kinda loses its impact if the characters have had no real screen time together.

The movie was still decent due to the original trio always being likable and Sydney‘s character development being pretty good.

jason10mm

Gold Member
This is easily resolved by having a neve Campbell look alike get killed in a "dramatic recreation" opener of a docuseries about Ghostface.

So she gets killed 'on screen' and you don't need neve for it. Hell, just use deep fake and make it a fan made youtube video, seems right for the meta this series is doing. How much to just use the likeness of Neve?

Or just have her face get burned and "experimental plastic surgery" to replac the actress. I think Courtney cox has done this to herself already :p

All of this is viable for a scream movie.

TGO

-the characters of the actors and actresses on the Stab set were the most forgettable supporting cast of any of the movies IMHO. Also Patrick Warburton felt underutilized, and I’m pretty sure wasting the treasure known as Patrick Warburton in a role was declared a crime against humanity by the United Nations in 1964 when he was born (sorry, but I seriously love the guy, he is just always pure fun to watch)
-having only one killer made the reveal too obvious before it happened
-I get they wanted the shock value, but killing Cotton off that early was a mistake. I feel Randy’s warning about anyone potentially dying would have been more impactful if Cotton had died shortly after the scene with Randy’s message to reinforce the idea. Instead they’re separated by quite a few scenes so the suspense wasn’t as strong to me. Like, Randy dying roughly 2/3 through 2 was shocking and made the climax more suspenseful as if they were willing to kill Randy it felt like another major character could also die. 3 never quite gave me that feeling.
-the killer has a strong connection to Sydney…..and they only meet face to face (as in no mask) after he reveals himself. This would be like if Vader revealed who he was to Luke via hacking into his X-wing comms in the Episode 4 climax, kinda loses its impact if the characters have had no real screen time together.

The movie was still decent due to the original trio always being likable and Sydney‘s character development being pretty good.
To my knowledge the film was rewritten and wasn't the original story
In a 2009 interview, Matthew Lillard, who played Stu Macher in Scream, said that he had been contracted to reprise his role in Scream 3 as the primary antagonist, having survived his apparent death, orchestrating new Ghostface attacks from prison on high school students and ultimately targeting Sidney.[18][19] Following the Columbine High School massacre shortly before production began, the script was scrapped and re-written without his character and this plot to avoid development of a film which associated violence and murder with a high school setting.[11
Shame we never got that version, this is also why it had a lighter tone and less violence
There is also a TV series I believe.
That sucked ass.

Last edited:

Karmic Raze

I still need to watch my Vudu copy of Scream 5. Neve deserves a good salary. Besides Jamie Lee Curtis, she’s one of the few “Scream Queens” if you will. Her legacy as Sidney Prescott in the slasher genre (horror in general) is astonishing. They should have just gave her what she wanted. But maybe it was due time they moved the story away from Sidney. I mean, how many damn times can you cheat death? It gets ridiculous after 5 movies.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I saw her for the first time in years in the latest Scream and let me say she looked great. Maybe it's just because I'm getting older and my tastes have recalibrated, but I find most actresses most attractive when they're in their late 30's and into their 40's now as opposed to their 20's.

Banned

for me it's 1>4>2>3>5
I just thought some of the decisions in 5 were just dumb. one death in particular was ridiculously badly written and honestly completely out of character behavior.

Scream 4 back in the day was the one that surprised me, even that one was already a reboot parody and how they did it was extremely well executed, which is extremely rare for a franchise that had a pause for that long. but for the series it was also the perfect time to come back given the theme of the franchise in general

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Forget this talk about upcoming Scream movies. Can we all agree on Dewey's death being some stupid shit? Same goes for that woman stabbed in suburbia during the daytime.
Nice to read this. Watched the movie the other night and right away thought that both scene were stupid. The whole set-up for Dewey was… what? The whole floor of the hospital is empty aside from one cop?

Hmm, it's going to be a hard sell for me without Neve but we'll see.

I did enjoy Scream 5 a lot, but a Scream movie without Sidney Prescott is weird.

Banned

Dewey's death ruined the whole movie for me that very second. that scene was so fucking stupid it was laughably bad. he literally did the most stereotypical horror movie shit possible, in a world where his entire life for more than a decade was about NOT falling for horror movie cliches and know to act more considerate.
Dewey and Sidney should be the most unkillable people in a slasher movie scenario at this point

wipeout364

I like Neve Campbell but Scream doesn’t need her. They made her an offer that was probably generous for the size of the role, she walked away, they obviously didn’t want to give her more. Her complaining is petty and lowers my opinion of her to be honest.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Didn’t want to make a new thread, not sure if posted, but great teaser:

I think moving out of Woodsboro is a good move.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
More power to her. They want to keep the franchise going, and when people think of that franchise they obviously immediately think of her. So if they won't pay her what she's worth she should walk away. It's what anyone should do with any job.

And in her case she's already rich, so why not flex.

Mr Hyde

Scream is still going? With a sixth installment? I thought this franchise was dead after the fourth one that came out like 10 years ago? And when Craven passed away I thought the franchise was dead for sure. Damn, the more you know.

Kimahri

Banned
Maybe take a look in the mirror before suggesting other peoples lives must suck to post such a response.
They did. She didn’t think it was enough.
The thing about conversations or statements or whatever, is that when you reply to something that was written six months ago, the person you're responding to is probably gonna spend more time wondering how much your life must suck to do that, than bothering with an actual response.

Top Bottom