• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix Unveils First Details of New Anti-Password Sharing Measures

mxbison

How much money are they going to lose because of this? Because I feel like a lot of people aren't going to bother buying their own subscriptions.

Well those people weren't bringing in any money in the first place.

I think the outrage over this is absolutely ridiculous. You have to pay for your own subscription to use the service? Wow, #2 most evil company behind Nestle. Sucks for the people who travel a lot but I seriously doubt those are the majority of complaints.

I'm tired of constantly getting price increases because people share some $3 Argentinian VPN bought account with all their friends and family.

Last edited:

Monokrom

Yeah I'm gonna cancel my sub for sure. Stupid idea to have resolution options (480P/1080P/4K), just have one like the other streaming services have.
They´re going to loose so many customers with this move.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Yeah I'm gonna cancel my sub for sure. Stupid idea to have resolution options (480P/1080P/4K), just have one like the other streaming services have.
They´re going to loose so many customers with this move.

I'm pretty sure that's already the case. Have to pay top dollar for 4K.

NinjaBoiX

I’m not really against this at all to be honest, too many freeloaders are just getting the service for free. So I need to type a code in very occasionally in very specific circumstances, who cares?

It’s a shame if there are genuine users that this genuinely affects in a negative manner, but I can’t really see how outside of minor inconvenience.

The freeloaders can get fucked, they weren’t getting any money from you anyway.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Honestly, for it costs now for their biggest 4k simultaneous plan, I think they'd just be better served to eat it up and just charge a little more for guaranteed true family sharing the way it's been. Or just leave things alone but that would be too rational.

Just use the Spotify method and have the family member use the address for it to work.

Companies are making it easier to find alternatives or other methods to watch content when being restrictive. There's already way too many of these services and each have their own fee. Last time I checked we still have bills to pay and goods are more expensive than ever. They will notice that once they see people leaving, it's going to be hard to get them back if they don't offer the value they once did.

GymWolf

I use an ethernet cable and my mobo doesn't have a wifi antenna, and sure as hell i'm not gonna buy one to see fucking netflix.

Last edited:
This sounds like the worst possible way to do this.

Peoples devices are going to get constantly blocked.

Also what about for people than move between countries a lot during the year.

Subscribers will drop. No one will pay more money for less convenience.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Johnny Depp Drinking GIF

Chozoldman

Banned
I’m not really against this at all to be honest, too many freeloaders are just getting the service for free. So I need to type a code in very occasionally in very specific circumstances, who cares?

It’s a shame if there are genuine users that this genuinely affects in a negative manner, but I can’t really see how outside of minor inconvenience.

They are freeloaders for literally using the service the way it was designed?

Sonik

I use an ethernet cable and my mobo doesn't have a wifi antenna, and sure as hell i'm not gonna buy one to see fucking netflix.

You don't need one, journoloids and to some extension many zoomers are too ignorant to understand that wifi doesn't mean router connecting to a landline. For them "wifi" means "the internet", they don't even understand how the whole setup works. It's sad how the newer generations have become so ignorant about technology and the internet, corporations are treating them like idiots allowing them to know only the very basic stuff so they don't know anything.

News flash Netflix, the people who were password sharing were never going to buy the service in the first place. All you have done is inconvenience your paying customers. Big L move.

Last edited:

NinjaBoiX

They are freeloaders for literally using the service the way it was designed?
Pretty sure it was always intended to allow members of the same household to share an account.

But as usual a few people took the piss and spoilt it for everyone else.
News flash Netflix, the people who were password sharing were never going to buy the service in the first place. All you have done is inconvenience your paying customers. Big L move, and I can't wait to see how much money they lose on this policy change.
So the people who clearly like watching Netflix are just not going to care at all when they can’t anymore?

That’s a sensible train of thought…

Last edited:
Pretty sure it was always intended to allow members of the same household to share an account.

But as usual a few people took the piss and spoilt it for everyone else.

So the people who clearly like watching Netflix are just not going to care at all when they can’t anymore?

That’s a sensible train of thought…
You think people who were freeloading the service are now going to pay for it, especially since they keep upping the price? If they thought Netflix was worth the value it brought they would have already bought into the service.

Lasha

You think people who were freeloading the service are now going to pay for it, especially since they keep upping the price? If they thought Netflix was worth the value it brought they would have already bought into the service.

Why would they subscribe when they already get Netflix for free?

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Too lazy to read the thread. I dont use NF much anymore, but I still got my bro's NF credentials on my TV app. I just load up the app, type in his 4 digit password and I'm in. He made me my own icon/avatar along with his fam as he's got the big 4k family plan.

So am I safe? Or do I need to go through hoops at some point to ensure it's accessible? I barely even use it the past year. My TV has a hardwired ethernet cord into it. So not wi-fi.
The hoops you'll need to go through to make sure it's accessible in your situation is to create your own Netflix account and pay them. That's the whole point of this.

Why would they subscribe when they already get Netflix for free?
Just because people use a service for free does not mean they will pay for it in the future. Do you think people who pirate media and freeload off of others will suddenly start paying for it? No, they will look for other measures to get it for free.

Lasha

Just because people use a service for free does not mean they will pay for it in the future. Do you think people who pirate media and freeload off of others will suddenly start paying for it? No, they will look for other measures to get it for free.

That's not what you wrote. You wrote that leechers getting Netflix for free would have already bought their own subscription if they liked the service. Your logic is unclear.

That's not what you wrote. You wrote that leechers getting Netflix for free would have already bought their own subscription if they liked the service. Your logic is unclear.
It's pretty simple logic. Freeloaders don't pay for shit, and this move isn't going to change thier financial situation drastically. Freeloaders are either A. never gonna pay for it or B. didn't see the value in purchasing the service. I could say I like playing The Last of US, but I would never PAY $70 for a re-remaster. Instead, I would just rather borrow the game from a friend.

Last edited:

ToTTenTranz

Banned
I pay 17€/month for 4 devices at once. Why should I need to pay more for devices in different houses?

So let's say I frequently live in 2 houses, one close to work and one close to family. If I want 4K HDR in both houses and never use more than 2 devices at any given moment, I'll need to pay 34€/month with two different accounts that won't keep up with each others' viewing history.

What great planning on Netflix's side. You just nullified most of the advantages in not pirating your content Netflix, bravo.

Lasha

It's pretty simple logic. Freeloaders don't pay for shit, and this move isn't going to change thier financial situation drastically. Freeloaders are either A. never gonna pay for it or B. didn't see the value in purchasing the service. I could say I like playing The Last of US, but I would never PAY $70 for a re-remaster. Instead, I would just rather borrow the game from a friend.

I actually love Netflix. I would have subscribed ages ago if it weren't for my parent's account and Netflix's loose enforcement on sharing. Why would I have paid for the service when I already have access to the service? That is illogical. To use your example, sharing Netflix is like borrowing TLOU but you get a free extra copy just for putting your friend's disk into your console. Why would you ever buy a copy yourself if you have a friend who can share with no impact to themselves?

There's probably enough people like me who would pay for the service if forced to offset the cancellations from sharing groups.

NinjaBoiX

You’re talking nonsense.

They’re willing using Netflix for free because they have the opportunity to. Even if they love the service, why would they suddenly start paying unless forced to? This assumption that the freeloaders would never have paid for it without the free option is just wrong.

Regardless, it’s only £10 a month, the cheap fucks need to either dip into their pockets or do without, tough shit.

NickFire

They were not freeloaders. Netflix allowed and condoned it when it was beneficial to growth, and got paid for every single account stream in use. Netflix now wants to treat its service more like cable, which is its prerogative. But that doesn't mean anyone got anything for free before. Every single stream was paid for.

This is nothing more than a cost increase for families (and some groups of friends too I am sure).

Last edited:

NinjaBoiX

They were not freeloaders. Netflix allowed and condoned it when it was beneficial to growth, and got paid for every single account stream in use. Netflix now wants to treat its service more like cable, which is its prerogative. But that doesn't mean anyone got anything for free before. Every single stream was paid for.

This is nothing more than a cost increase for families (and some groups of friends too I am sure).
Either way, being utterly outraged because you have to pay for a service is crazy, wether you previously had it free or not.

It’s only TV, just do without if it’s such a travesty.

🤷🏼‍♂️

NickFire

Either way, being utterly outraged because you have to pay for a service is crazy, wether you previously had it free or not.

It’s only TV, just do without if it’s such a travesty.

🤷🏼‍♂️
I'm not outraged. But since they are changing the acceptable practices for the multi stream plans they offer, I do think Netflix should have to convert everyone to single stream plans unless they opt-in to expanded plans again. Lots of people are going to be paying for at least a month or two of service they no longer have use for due to Netflix changing practices. That should not be condoned IMO.

Sleepwalker

Gold Member
The moment one of my devices gets blocked im outty. Being paying the top sub and the content just keeps getting worse and worse, just haven't cancelled cuz im lazy.

I already torrent the HBO stuff because I refuse to pay for Crave. Will be deploying more funds this year into my media server and NAS project, then share it with my family and friends lol

KungFucius

King Snowflake
This is inconvenient for a lot of people. FFS My parents have a small vacation house with a different network. So now they will need to reauthorize their TV every 30 days. Fuck that. I hope Netflix bleeds subscribers because they are making everyone jump through hoops ( i.e. do work) so they can try to extract money from the few who are sharing passwords.

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
It's pretty simple logic. Freeloaders don't pay for shit, and this move isn't going to change thier financial situation drastically. Freeloaders are either A. never gonna pay for it or B. didn't see the value in purchasing the service.
Or C. Could have paid, but it's so easy to get it for free so why bother? It's really not that difficult.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
I've been using Netflix nonstop since it became a streaming service. For several years now I've been using my mom's netflix account, and my family (parents/siblings) use my hulu account. If I can no longer use my mom's Netflix account, I will get my own. There are others who will do the same. There's just too much random shit my girlfriend and I watch on it and she wouldn't be happy if suddenly we didn't have Netflix. But there's no way around it, I've been freeloading and getting the service entirely for free. My girlfriend has had the account on her TV in the past. So that's two degrees of separation from the actual account holder. That is most definitely not how the service was intended to be used, but it's a natural consequence of a service whose use requires nothing more than typing in the true account holder's email address and password anywhere in the world and by as many people who have the password. It's ridiculous. From a certain standpoint, password sharing, piracy...what's the difference?

Clearly, people really want access to as much 'content' as possible for as little as possible, if not for free, and something's gotta give. Big budget TV shows and movies being 'consumed' by people for free on other people's Netflix accounts, access to all the music in the world for half the price of a CD once a month, I just don't see how it's sustainable.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
The hoops you'll need to go through to make sure it's accessible in your situation is to create your own Netflix account and pay them. That's the whole point of this.
If thats the case, I wont bother with NF. I'll tell my bro next time I see him to downgrade his package if he wants back to 1080p or whatever and cut me off.

BlackTron

LOL it was an "error".

What an epic miscalculation. This isn't the Netflix of years ago that was the only game in town as an alternative to cable. Now there are a myriad of streaming apps and Netflix's content is pretty meh.

In my opinion, the value that Netflix currently offers was decently aligned with the cost. It wasn't really necessary, but as long as you got a few concurrent streams for the one monthly charge and you/your fam got convenience out of it, why not.

At least the whole industry watched what happened. God that was fast lmao

Last edited:

Fuz

Banned
I find it incredible how software engineers for those big companies (not just netflix) seems to be so detached from reality and their users.

Edit: thinking of it, I'm probably wrong and they're just training the users. Which has been proved to work in the past.

Last edited:

Mithos

I think they should change their plans to

Ad tier - 720p with 1 screen / 1 house
Basic - 1080p with 2 screens / 1 house
Standard - 4K with 4 screens / 1 house
Premium - 4K with 6 screens / 2 houses

Or every plan should be 1 screen, and extra screens and/or "houses" is additional options you can pay for.

Last edited:

Chiggs

They should just charge by the number of streams an account can access. And if they don't want more than the account holder to use it, limit it to one stream. Simple.

I kind of thought they did. I got some email from them a couple of years ago asking me for a bit extra a month for 4k and extra streams.

Who knows what bizarre shit Netflix has been doing with their accounts, and I doubt the accounts are standard. They've got 150+ million subs, so I can only imagine the grandfathered plans they're dealing with.

Last edited:

NickFire

I kind of thought they did. I got some email from them a couple of years ago asking me for a bit extra a month for 4k and extra streams.

Who knows what bizarre shit Netflix has been doing with their accounts, and I doubt the accounts are standard. They've got 150+ million subs, so I can only imagine the grandfathered plans they're dealing with.
I thought that was part of the price increase point a while back too. Greed never stops though so they can do what they want. Bet they slow the binge drops big time going forward. So people don’t just drop subs and pick up for a month at a time every few months or longer.

Jaybe

They rolled this like out in Canada, New Zealand, Portugal and Spain.

Canadian users received this. So condescending.

N1wmeUI.jpg

Shtef

I just received email from netlix that they are lowering subscription price by 2 euros. I think they are up to something :).

Top Bottom