• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • The Politics forum has been nuked. Please do not bring political discussion to the rest of the site, or you will be removed. Thanks.

Business Trailer Netflix Reveals First Trailer, Poster For Monster Hunter: Legends Of The Guild

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
Dec 1, 2014
29,613
35,022
1,345
ibiza

Monster Hunter is one of the biggest properties created by the video game producers at Capcom, with last year seeing the arrival of the live-action movie starring Mila Jovovich that brought the monster-ridden world to the silver screen, and it seems like Netflix is also diving in on the video game franchise with an upcoming animated film. Using computer-generated graphics, Monster Hunter: Legends of the Guild has released a new trailer and poster for the film that will arrive on the streaming service on August 12th, telling a new tale of the popular gaming universe.


 

Kuranghi

Member
Apr 17, 2015
6,340
11,333
830
denzel washington cringe GIF


This looks like it cost 75p
 
Last edited:

Claus Grimhildyr

Vincit qui se vincit
Jan 30, 2018
6,310
11,329
910
It's Netflix, so you have a 1% chance of it actually being good. 99% chance that it is being written by pathological dipshits who only want to preach and insult the audience.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Larxia

GymWolf

Member
Jun 11, 2019
19,674
29,741
655
It's like shit and piss had an ugly baby but i watch everything based on monster hunter.
 
Last edited:

brian0057

Member
Jun 18, 2018
2,306
4,457
580
Holy shit. That poster isn't doing them any favors at all.
And given how medioce the Resident Evil show was, I'm not looking forward to it.
 

SJRB

Member
May 10, 2012
24,984
8,272
1,000
Holy shit this sucks.

Legit cannot remember the last time Netflix came with something that actually wowed me. Mindhunters, I guess? Dark?

Man it's been so long.
 

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Mar 22, 2017
18,277
29,628
1,075
This captures the feel of MH MUCH better than last movie with modern military.
 
Nov 7, 2020
3,361
9,652
595
Probably going to be ass but I'll check it out. Netflix should just give all the money invested into this to Capcom for more MH games. Not everything needs to be a show.
 

Kimahri

Member
Jul 27, 2020
1,378
2,200
420
No, it really is PS2 era CG. It looks very similar to the FFXI intro (which was PS2 era)

Not in-game PS2 graphics, of course. I realize now that's probably what you thought he meant, but I understood it as "CG of that era"

It really isn't.

The fidelity of environments, level of detail, animation, everything is vastly superior in that MH trailer. That doesn't mean MH is impressive by today's standards by any means, but they're hardly comparable.

That said, the FFXI trailer fucking blew me away back then. The only ones who were even remotely in the same ballpark as square during those days were Blizzard. Every new video from those guys were a huge leap forwards.
 

Revolutionary

Member
Sep 13, 2007
21,001
4,552
1,565
Brooklyn, NY
The fidelity of environments, level of detail, animation, everything is vastly superior in that MH trailer. That doesn't mean MH is impressive by today's standards by any means, but they're hardly comparable.
Lmao come on man. You know damn well I'm not directly comparing the fidelity of something made in 2002 to something made in 2021. I said it looks similar to PS2-era CG, not exactly alike. Don't be silly.

PS3-era CG looks significantly better than the Monster Hunter show and FFXI's intro:

You can't possibly believe that this Netflix show looks more like A Realm Reborn's intro than FFXI's. Calling it PS2-era CG is apropos.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Kuranghi

Kimahri

Member
Jul 27, 2020
1,378
2,200
420
Lmao come on man. You know damn well I'm not directly comparing the fidelity of something made in 2002 to something made in 2021. I said it looks similar to PS2-era CG, not exactly alike. Don't be silly.

PS3-era CG looks significantly better than the Monster Hunter show and FFXI's intro:

You can't possibly believe that this Netflix show looks more like A Realm Reborn's intro than FFXI's. Calling it PS2-era CG is apropos.
This isn't helping your point.
 

Kuranghi

Member
Apr 17, 2015
6,340
11,333
830
Holy shit this sucks.

Legit cannot remember the last time Netflix came with something that actually wowed me. Mindhunters, I guess? Dark?

Man it's been so long.

I presume you mean the TV show about serial killers yeah? I immediately thought of this :messenger_tears_of_joy: :



Its even funnier in German actually.
 
  • LOL
Reactions: Revolutionary

nivix

Neo Member
Jan 15, 2021
12
11
120
What... what happened to their faces?

Cartoons, video games, real life, I guess faces are hard to get right.
 

Reallink

Member
Jan 7, 2008
6,683
1,795
1,355
Watching the trailer before reading this thread, I was seriously about to post "looks like PS2 era CG", but was amused to see I was beaten.

It really isn't.

The fidelity of environments, level of detail, animation, everything is vastly superior in that MH trailer. That doesn't mean MH is impressive by today's standards by any means, but they're hardly comparable.

That said, the FFXI trailer fucking blew me away back then. The only ones who were even remotely in the same ballpark as square during those days were Blizzard. Every new video from those guys were a huge leap forwards.
This isn't helping your point.

Lay off the dope bro, FF13 GAMEPLAY was beyond most of the assets in this trailer:





That tree trunk's legit a real time PS2 asset, not even CG.
 
Last edited:

Kimahri

Member
Jul 27, 2020
1,378
2,200
420
Watching the trailer before reading this thread, I was seriously about to post "looks like PS2 era CG", but was amused to see I was beaten.




Lay off the dope bro, FF13 GAMEPLAY was beyond most of the assets in this trailer:





That tree trunk's legit a real time PS2 asset, not even CG.
I'm not saying it looks good. I'm saying some folk in here's got some real distorted memories of PS2.