• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix Reveals Cast of Live Action Resident Evil Series

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
I wonder if they did a survey with actual resident evil fans and asked them 'would you like to see' woke' casting?'... How many would actually say yes? I feel it would be a very small percentage.
The survey would go along the lines of 'you're gonna like the woke casting or y'all bigots and racists - say YES'

Last edited:

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Can't wait to see a white actor play shag or Martin Luther King.
Oh, wait a minute, that's racist.

Gotta love white washing and racism as a white person. It's fully acceptable from society to treat us white men like shit because we are ALL guilty of slavery and why Africa ain't real life Wakanda.

tumblr_inline_pcqp2pufO31qez9vs_500.gifv

How much can you change and still call it Resident Evil? :goog_unsure:

Netflix: "hold my beer"

Resident wokeness?
Well, that's what the name Netflix represents. Together with Disney.

And sadly it prints money.

Last edited:

GrayFoxPL

OK, this clearly has nothing to do with games. Apart zombies.

Moving on...

4oi46IA.jpg

JbIZcEU.jpg

From left to right.

Hot mama. Meh. Hey, it's a butler from John Wick! Meh. Not bad. Hot as molten metal!

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
The thing that gets me is, there’s nothing really wrong with a diverse cast.

But this isn’t a diverse cast. It‘s like they just don’t give a shit about the demographic that’s primarily been the biggest fanbase for Resident Evil over the years: young men.

Who exactly is this show for? Are they so determined to be woke that they are happy to alienate a massive chunk of their audience?

ryan13ts

Can't wait to see a white actor play shag or Martin Luther King.
Oh, wait a minute, that's racist.

Gotta love white washing and racism as a white person. It's fully acceptable from society to treat us white men like shit because we are ALL guilty of slavery and why Africa ain't real life Wakanda.

Netflix: "hold my beer"

Well, that's what the name Netflix represents. Together with Disney.

And sadly it prints money.

Seriously pulling out the "oh poor white men" diatribe? Characters of other ethnicities have been whitewashed in film and tv many times throughout the years, almost certainly more than the other way around and even recently, but I'm gonna take a wild guess that hardly bothered or concerned you enough to bring it up then? Funny how these things only seem to draw concern or fake outrage of "wokeness" when it's the other way around.

As far as how this series will probably be, I imagine the end product will turn out fine, especially since there's some talented people involved. I do personally think it's better to cast people similar looking to their characters just for consistency sake, especially if one of the goals is to appeal to fans of the source material. At the same time though, people seem to forget things like this are called 'adaptations' for a reason. Everything doesn't have to fit 1 to 1, and that goes with casting too. If it 'bothers' you that much, just don't watch it, it'll probably still be successful regardless.

Last edited:

Denton

Characters of other ethnicities have been whitewashed in film and tv many times throughout the years, almost certainly more than the other way around and even recently, but I'm gonna take a wild guess that hardly bothered or concerned you enough to bring it up then? Funny how these things only seem to draw concern or fake outrage of "wokeness" when it's the other way around.
This is such a god damn bullshit. Why is it so hard to get that all kinds of washings - whitewashing, blackwashing, asianwashing, brainwashing suck ass and pre-established characters (real or fictional) should be portrayed accurately (as reasonably possible). It's not a rocket science.

I like Lance Reddick (on Wire, Bosch, Quantum Break and Wick), they should have cast him as a new character.

Last edited:

Shmunter

This is such a god damn bullshit. Why is it so hard to get that all kinds of washings - whitewashing, blackwashing, asianwashing, brainwashing suck ass and pre-established characters (real or fictional) should be portrayed accurately (as reasonably possible). It's not a rocket science.

I like Lance Reddick (on Wire, Bosch, Quantum Break and Wick), they should have cast him as a new character.
Fear not, even real historic figures Netflix got us covered….for equity and beyond!

1*6a-9M5bvOQnAVHc9lxFx-A.jpeg

Kev Kev

Fake wokeness 🤦‍♂️

but if it’s good then it doesn’t matter. And therein lies the other problem: this is probably going to suck just as most live action video game adaptions shows and movies.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I love Lance Reddick, but I have to say he seems miscast. He's a guy who's made a career of playing credible authority figures, generally good guys who have to make tough decisions. Playing a moustache-twirling villain like Wesker seems like a mismatch for his presence as a performer.

Azurro

Banned
FUCK YEA! Love Lance Reddick!!!!

The series has lots of women....Claire, Rebecca, Ada Wong, Jill etc They might have something to do with the Wesker Children Project thing. I'm hype for any thing Resident Evil so this is a day 1 binge watch.

Can you find anything related to RE in that pic?

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Seriously pulling out the "oh poor white men" diatribe? Characters of other ethnicities have been whitewashed in film and tv many times throughout the years, almost certainly more than the other way around and even recently, but I'm gonna take a wild guess that hardly bothered or concerned you enough to bring it up then?

Your wild guess is indeed wrong.

I'm against it both ways. But in Hollywood and in politics in general the white man has been symbolic of the evil man.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
As far as how this series will probably be, I imagine the end product will turn out fine, especially since there's some talented people involved. I do personally think it's better to cast people similar looking to their characters just for consistency sake, especially if one of the goals is to appeal to fans of the source material. At the same time though, people seem to forget things like this are called 'adaptations' for a reason. Everything doesn't have to fit 1 to 1, and that goes with casting too. If it 'bothers' you that much, just don't watch it, it'll probably still be successful regardless.

This is not an adaptation. It’s creating an entirely new storyline, and cynically hitching it to an existing, popular IP.

Instead of making Lance Wesker Capcom should’ve stolen his character model from Quantum Break and made him the villain in RE9 or Revelations 3. Everyone would be happy then; he’s a good actor, but why cast him in a tokenized role?

Astral Dog

The thing that gets me is, there’s nothing really wrong with a diverse cast.

But this isn’t a diverse cast. It‘s like they just don’t give a shit about the demographic that’s primarily been the biggest fanbase for Resident Evil over the years: young men.

Who exactly is this show for? Are they so determined to be woke that they are happy to alienate a massive chunk of their audience?
If this the only RE thing coming out i would agree with you, but its part of a bigger media push, the RE movie and Infinite Darkness are clearly targeted at longtime fans.

Im not sure if this is gonna be any good, but lets give it a chance it could be fun( and if isn't then might get forgotten after 2 seasons)

Last edited:

oagboghi2

Seriously pulling out the "oh poor white men" diatribe? Characters of other ethnicities have been whitewashed in film and tv many times throughout the years, almost certainly more than the other way around and even recently, but I'm gonna take a wild guess that hardly bothered or concerned you enough to bring it up then? Funny how these things only seem to draw concern or fake outrage of "wokeness" when it's the other way around.

Adaption? What game is it adapting? Resident Evil 4, 2, code Veronica?

It’s literally nothing, nothing, like Resident Evil at all. This isn’t an “adaption”. This is a shit show, where they bought the resident evil license to brand it with.

ryan13ts

Adaption? What game is it adapting? Resident Evil 4, 2, code Veronica?

It’s literally nothing, nothing, like Resident Evil at all. This isn’t an “adaption”. This is a shit show, where they bought the resident evil license to brand it with.

It's taking characters and settings from the games, hence it's an still an adaptation from the source material, just much looser with more original content (All this being speculative, since it's obviously not out).

It's exactly why I said things things don't have to be 1:1, even if it's taking something wholesale, plot and all, like if they were to adapt the 1st game for example. Some of the best pieces of media have come from some pretty loose adaptations, so writing something off instantly before giving it a chance is pretty ridiculous. And all this is coming from a very longtime RE fan, whose been burnt before with the godawful movies (You want to talk about a shitshow 'adaptation'? Look no further that those turds) and has lots of reasons to be doubtful that this will be quality.

Kuranghi

I love Lance Reddick, hes one of my favourite character actors, and I'm sure he'll do his best with the direction/writing they give him, but this casting is bizarre for this reason:

Computer game characters often change voice actor between games/across long time spans so the visual is often the only concrete connection you have to them. So changing their race is too much of a change to keep you having a connection to the character imo.

Iif Lance has all the motifs of Wesker (glasses, outfit, light/blonde hair, etc) then it might be good, but we know that won't happen because they want to create their own adaptation and some of what I listed isn't naturally possible for a black man/will look a bit weird (Sorry, Simon Fenix/Wesley Snipes, I still love you).

So he's going to have a very different voice (which to be clear I love), different appearance and presumeably different mannerisms so how is it even Wesker at this point?

This could even make the awful PTS movie's depictions of Wesker look "authentic", which is a fucking laugh :messenger_tears_of_joy:

edit - Oh and as someone else pointed out above, even if the stars are aligned Lance Reddick isn't really known for playing this type of character, its not his speciality, he's best playing an authority figure or a straight guy surrounded by "non-straight" chars, not a mad scientist/psychopath.

Last edited:

Shmunter

I don’t even care about the over the top diversity push and choice of actors. It’s just the idiocy of it all the grinds my gears. Anyway, its just going to polarise people, maybe that’s the goal.

Either way, time to jest let it play out….

Last edited:

Javthusiast

Banned
People complaining about casting. Story can turn out shit yes, as if the games are that much better, but Lance Reddick is an astronomical upgrade to the shit Wesker we got in the Resi movies.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
These are fictional characters. Does it really matter what colour skin the cast members have?

MiguelItUp

People complaining about casting. Story can turn out shit yes, as if the games are that much better, but Lance Reddick is an astronomical upgrade to the shit Wesker we got in the Resi movies.
Dude is a phenomenal actor, I don't think anyone is disagreeing here.

These are fictional characters. Does it really matter what colour skin the cast members have?
Correct, no, it doesn't. I think it's just more so the fact that Wesker is a well established character, and has been for over 20 years. His voice, look, etc. People wanna see the sleezy slicked back blonde hair and shades combo with that ridiculous accent, lol. You can't really blame some RE fans hoping for an accurate portrayal of their favorite characters in the form of a show or movie. A lot of people know it will never happen, but some still hang on to that hope, lol.

Do I think it's silly? Yeah, to a point, it almost feels like pandering to me. But at the same time, I really don't care, ain't gonna ruin my day. Because I don't think we'll ever see proper video game to live action show or film adaptations that are... well... good. Good meaning, good in a film or show sense while also being accurate as possible or to a "T" with its original source material.

Edit: Corrected typos, stupid phone, lmao.

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
I don’t even care about the over the top diversity push and choice of actors. It’s just the idiocy of it all the grinds my gears. Anyway, its just going to polarise people, maybe that’s the goal.

Either way, time to jest let it play out….
Remember that Netflix counts views now even when you've tuned in for only 2 minutes. So even if some people will play a small bit of the show just to see how shit it really is Netflix will still be able to boast about breaking viewership records.

Javthusiast

Banned
It is just one series, fucking relax. There's also a Resi anime and movie coming that will be different.

Also any of you complained about Edge of tomorrow changing japanese main character of the book to Tom Cruise? No? Thought so.

MiguelItUp

I truly do think it's both sad and hilarious that people are taking people's opinions on the matter and trying to twist it as racism. It's really gross. Honestly, it makes me despise the situation even more for that reason alone. People are being labeled as racists just because they want to see a character they've felt strong about for 20+ years to resemble the character they've, well, felt strong about for 20+ years. People get attached to characters they love, some more than others.

It is just one series, fucking relax. There's also a Resi anime and movie coming that will be different.

Also any of you complained about Edge of tomorrow changing japanese main character of the book to Tom Cruise? No? Thought so.
I think everyone is relaxed, here at least. But there are a lot of people that aren't. I think it's silly, but hey, I can't tell people how to feel about something they're passionate about.

Thought so? Wow you really got everyone there! No reason to come off so sassy. That's also ONE example. Not to mention Edge of Tomorrow isn't full of beloved or well known characters that people attached themselves to for decades. How could you dodge Motoko Kusinagi being played by Scarlett Johansson in The Ghost In The Shell film? Lol. Really, the examples are endless. Especially in that realm.

This situation, to me, would be like making Spawn Caucasian. Or Ryu Caucasian for no apparent reason. Or making the Mario brothers African American, etc. You get the idea. Is it a "problem"? No, but people will be upset if it's a character they've spent hundreds and thousands of hours with.

Last edited:
Top Bottom