• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix-Resident Evil Live Action Series "Officially Announced"

OrionNebula

Wekser Kids and New Raccoon City.

giphy.gif

Yeah this doesn’t sounds good right off the bat... ffs...

1) Buy a license/spend money
2) Ignore the story/lore/shit (ignore) on established characters/do your own thing
🤨

Aggelos

Producer Kobayashi says he's excited about it

dan76

Resident Evil should be so easy to make.

Just base the first series on the first game.

Do a different mansion and cast, while keeping links vague for the first series, that'd be fine, but keep it tight and focused and small scale 'horror house' kind of stuff, until you find your feet with what works in the translation, and what doesn't.

Doing dumb, unwanted bollocks like 'Wesker Kids' and 'New Raccoon City' is just sending this out to die.
Exactly. What the hell are they thinking? Set it in a mansion, discovering secrets, traps, rooms and zombies. An easy 8 hour series. It's like they don't understand what made RE great in the first place (this criticism could also be levelled at Capcom sometimes). People are getting paid to make this shit.

Last edited:
so essentially the wesker kids stumble upon umbrella and their viruses. MAYBE theres an outbreak, but i bet there are zero zombies in this show.

There's no attempt in any live action adaptation to be remotely faithful to the source material and I think that's sad.

Edited because I'm stupid.

Last edited:

supernova8

Banned
Can we not just fucking have a Resident Evil Series that starts from Resi 0 -> Resi 1 -> Resi 2 -> Resi 3?
There's more than enough content in those 4 games for at least 2 seasons if you package RE0-1 as Season 1 and RE2-3 as Season 2.

It's probably not anal enough to satisfy the diehard RE fans but anything catering to those people will get bogged down in way too much of the detail and mainstream viewers will lose interest.

If you stick to the main games, a lot of people will have played them and roughly remember the story line to sufficiently enjoy it.

Last edited:
I mean it can't ruin the series any more than RE6, or the CG animated movies, or the Hollywood movies, right?

Oh....
...for fucks sake.

It's not like the recent games haven't gone back to a darker, more series tone either, receiving both critical acclaim and massive sales for doing so.

Who, in the blue blazes, is this kiddified, soap opera style family drama and coming of age story for? Because it sure as hell isn't going to appeal to the Resident Evil audience.

Even the bloody movies were closer to the games than this is being made out to be.

sendit

...for fucks sake.

It's not like the recent games haven't gone back to a darker, more series tone either, receiving both critical acclaim and massive sales for doing so.

Who, in the blue blazes, is this kiddified, soap opera style family drama and coming of age story for? Because it sure as hell isn't going to appeal to the Resident Evil audience.

Even the bloody movies were closer to the games than this is being made out to be.

Do you always make uninformed assumptions in real life as well?

I have a confession to make: actually quite enjoyed the live-action RE movies. Yes, they're cheesy. Yes, they aren't particularly well-written. But they're great sci-fi action/horror weekend afternoon popcorn flicks if you aren't totally anal about them needing to respect the game lore.

So while I would say I'm looking forward to this new series...it's Netflix. The same Netflix that wants to push content like Cuties onto us. This probably won't have any of the fun of the live-action movies and you can forget about it comparing well with the decent CG flicks, either. And seeing what they're doing with their adaptation of Cowboy Bebop, expect a similar butchering of the lore here.

Hope it's good, but pressing F to doubt.

EDIT: Also, Wesker kids? What is it about modern Western entertainment trying to redeem out-and-out villains either directly or through their legacy? Star Wars pretty much did this (Rey), now this new RE series redeeming Wesker through his kids?

Weren't his kids (or at least one of them) already in Code: Veronica and a complete loon? I preferred that, why this modern-day obsession in Western stories to try redeeming the worst of the villains when the less-serious goofier ones get the worst treatment...

Last edited:
Is this real!? This looks like somebody with a keyboard/mouse combo teasing a controller player.
I was so disappointed with this so-called reboot for the CG movies that was Resident Evil Vendetta. It had a stupid gun-fu action shtick for Chris and Leon when fighting the villain, trying way too hard to make them look cool with the movements. They also reintroduced Rebecca Chambers only to make her a damsel in distress. It was easily the worst of the three Resident Evil CG movies whereas Resident Evil Degeneration is still the best.

Last edited:

taizuke

While the idea of "Wesker kids" sounds awful i do have hope it'll be good given Netflix's track record with TV shows. Remember, it's the movie devision that usually churns out mediocrity.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
I think the live actions movies have done more damage longterm to the IP's credibility than admonish/give it credit for, though. Most of us are like "yeah, they suck, but they aren't in the canon and we still have (insert RE games that you like) so it works out,"

But like...these movies had the opportunity to convey the DNA of what made the original run of PS1 titles so resounding for O.G. fans. Instead, the general consumer who only takes part in passive entertainment (i.e. films, shows, etc) sees these movies and thinks, at absolute BEST, they're pretty clunky regurgitations of classic Romero-esque Zombie tropes, and even then, the really elite horror enthusiasts don't take it seriously because of it's borderline parody action sequences and a protagonist who wouldn't be out of place in an R-rated superhero movie.

Now, every fanbase is niche in it's own regard, not everyone has to like everything, I get it. But directors/writers/producers/showrunners/studios see this shit, and they don't get that is ISN'T what makes RE special, unique, and certainly not good or beloved. It's all about the bottom line, and as long as these people make the turd shinier, shaped better and less smelly, it passes, but the audience will still know it's shit.

j0hnnix

Gold Member
Expect this dud to get cancelled quicker than a white man touching a woman's tits at work.

Geoff would never do such a thing to a woman.. Kojima maybe but a woman. How dare you!

Wtf....when Wesker's Kids arrive....? Is this some stupid Resident Evil Real World Reality show?

Top Bottom