• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix Reportedly Developing Elder Scrolls Show, Will Be As Big As The Witcher

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

There’s a new rumor being reported on by insider Daniel Richtman this week that says Netflix is working on a show based on The Elder Scrolls, and that it’ll be as big as their take on The Witcher.

One interesting wrinkle with this is that Bethesda Softworks is already developing a major TV series adaptation of one of their games with Netflix’s main competitor. Earlier this year, they announced that the Westworld team were working on Fallout, which will hit Amazon Prime sometime in the future.

There is no way that the show would resemble MY games. In fact most of the time I never touch the main quest. In fact most of what makes the game fun wouldn't be in a TV show. But I wish them luck.

Last edited:

mcjmetroid

By as big as the Witcher? They mean as low budget as the Witcher?

Witcher was an ok show but I just couldn't get the cheap feel of the show out of my head while watching it.

I was disappointed.

If you don't want to spend the money in the first series then do low key stories until you feel confident.

bored to death yawn GIF by Rose McGowan

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
Looking into this alleged insider, his so-called leaks this month include a Harry Potter sequel, Venom & Morbius appearing in Spider-Man 3, an Alien vs Predator series, as well as a history of making claims about new entries into the Alien and Predator franchises. It's possible he just likes to make big, potentially viral claims so he can lure in new Patrons.

Last edited:

Calverz

Awesome. Elder scrolls story would be cool. So many options and blank canvas in terms of character story etc. Hopefully this rumor is true. Get us pumped for elder scrolls 6!

Kokoloko85

No thanks. I mean it could be cool with all the lore and settings. But I dont want Uncharted, I dont want Elder Scrolls. I dont want Monster Hunter. I dont want MGS

Here comes the contradiction, I would like to see HBO do a Dark Souls series based on the Lore and main story lol

bitbydeath

There is no way that the show would resemble MY games. In fact most of the time I never touch the main quest. In fact most of what makes the game fun wouldn't be in a TV show. But I wish them luck.
If it in anyway resembles my play throughs then it’s practically going to be a clone of pawn traders.

MadYarpen

Well they managed to butcher the series with a great characters and writing in the original material, wonder what can they do with a source material which doesnt have that. I guess this will be a series about modding stuff, crafting cool armour etc?

Also: only thing which was big about the witcher was the marketing, a lot of times the budget constrains were very visible. Some scenes were just amateur.

Last edited:

Razvedka

Banned
I wish they'd develop an elder scrolls game instead of Bethesda. Might exist before 2030 and be based in an engine that isn't complete rectal cancer.

Rick Monster

Neo Member
I just finished Skyrim a few months ago for the first time and I can't remember the main plot. I think there was a dragon on a peak I had to kill? Some side shit with vampires? Some vampire chick who kept hanging around. Granted, I played it drunk most of the time. But still - what kind of story will they tell? Skyrim is so big. I guess they'll focus on the Dragonborn. But for once I'd like them to focus the story on some loser farmer whose daughter was killed in a dragon attack and he decides he's going to kill all dragons forever. That would be cool.

Ugh... let me guess:

"A strong independent female warrior (tm) must rise up with her group of pan sexual, pan racial warriors to fight the evil patriarchy."

Any male characters will either be bumbling incompetent fools needing to be shown up or rescued by the strong female lead(s) or will be the bad guys, evil, racist etc... you name it. Double points if the bad guys are also white blonde guys. Triple bonus points if there is some ham fisted allegory to modern politics or at least the woke fantasy of what modern politics are, I predict some guards kneeling on someone who is shouting "I can't breath" or something equally hacky.

I think I'll pass. At least Cavil single handedly saved the Witcher and luckily the character is a known male in the books/games. Even then he was still sidelined in his own show to showcase secret main character Yennifer.

Last edited:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i can't be excited for this. it's been 9 years since Skyrim.

if ESVI had just came out or was about to then I'd maybe care. That's not happening for a while yet...Starfield has to come first lol.

The Witcher is a legit franchise based off of novels. The Netflix series isn't even associated with the games.

Elder Scrolls has no equivalent story/characters. It's a world made for video games, to be explored by nameless/voiceless character avatars.

This is like claiming the Monster Hunter movie was going to be as big as Lord of the Rings or something. No budget would be likely to pull that off, as the base material is nothing more than fan-service stuff not suited for the task.

Last edited:

kiphalfton

Kind of stopped caring about comics, cartoons, anime, books, or video-games getting live-action movie/tv show adaptations.

I have been hurt too many times (well that and it's like 3D animated movies, where there's just too damn many to care about it).

Kind of stopped caring about comics, cartoons, anime, books, or video-games getting live-action movie/tv show adaptations.

I have been hurt too many times (well that and it's like 3D animated movies, where there's just too damn many to care about it).
I can however recommend on netflix Dragon Quest: Your Story. check it out if you're a longtime fan of the series

Make it a comedy set during the same time as Elder Scrolls Online and it's the NPC's having to deal with all the going on around them.

Yeah I was thinking comedy is closer to the actual elder scrolls experience.

The quest storytelling has a Star Trek TNG vibe, so that what it should be. But they will want it to be Game of Thrones.

gypsygib

Hmmm strange, Netflix has yet to contact me about the main protagonist. How will they even know what it looks like without my input.

intbal

Considering this property belongs to Microsoft now, I'm hopeful that MS will drag it out and delay it forever so that it never sees the light of day.

Game stories belong where they're told best: in video games.
Not on TV.

niilokin

Cast LaFave bros as protagonists and have Wes Johnson as Sheogorath nd every other character. And hire mans1ay3r as writer. And thank me in credits.

Bolivar687

Banned
I feel about this the way some people feel about filming Watchmen. What makes the Elder Scrolls great is what gaming allows the developers to do that no other medium can. It's about the immersion. Other RPGs have better combat and story but none of them can match the feelings evoked by TES' first person view.

The lore is pretty crazy and there's a lot of material to work with but again, it works because of how it interacts with the immersion. It comes down to asking yourself whether something outrageous really happened and finding out it really did or discovering where the embellishments are. There's no way to film the Battle of Red Mountain that will be as interesting as the questions it raises in the mind of the player.

So. The Office was the most streamed show of 2020. It was also the most watched show of 2019.

I'm almost positive if they tried to write that show with today's standards, it just wouldn't work anymore.

With Netflix losing The Office in 2021, I am absolutely, 100% positive they're going to throw every ounce of their strength into finding something that can meet or exceed The Office's numbers. Any way they can.

Top Bottom