• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix reinstates worker who spoke out against Dave Chappelle

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Whilst I totally agree with everything you've, said this really only applies to people who live on Twitter or who have public personas and make a living via it, the vast vast majority of the planet could care less what's posted on Twitter unless you're specifically talking about those who love on social media
A lot of it is social media, but not all of it. I have a friend whose girlfriend broke up with him because he said he agreed with the verdict in the Rittenhouse trial.

People these days even off social media simply can't handle being friends with or couples with someone they vehemently disagree with. It's unhealthy.

Jsisto

A lot of it is social media, but not all of it. I have a friend whose girlfriend broke up with him because he said he agreed with the verdict in the Rittenhouse trial.

People these days even off social media simply can't handle being friends with or couples with someone they vehemently disagree with. It's unhealthy.
Thats crazy. Nuance has been lost to a great extent, too. The Rittenhouse trial being a perfect example. You can not like Rittenhouse as a person, hell, he was incredibly irresponsible. But to some if you agree with the outcome of the trial you're the worst kind of ring winger and everything that comes with that by extension.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

He dodged a bullet. Silver linings, blessing in disguise, etc, etc..

Pun intended.

Last edited:

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Was just about to post the very same thing. I hope DragoonKain DragoonKain is telling his friend how super lucky he is and that he avoided a real disaster if she did indeed break up with him just for offering up that opinion.
It wasn't a serious relationship. It was casual. But I remember getting a text and saying we broke up and they got into an argument over it and she just broke up with him. He wasn't heartbroken or anything. He's already dating someone else.

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Dave Chappelle No GIF

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Seems that the woke backlash is getting bigger. Netflix changes internal policies. https://www.dailywire.com/news/netf...t-at-its-woke-employees-with-new-culture-memo
Amazing that a corporation has to issue a memo like that to the 1000s of manbaby employees they have. Youd think working at a media company with probably 10,000 movies and TV shows from all genres and from around the world would automatically make a person think "is the company right for me" even before accepting the job.

It'd be like someone working at ESPN or TSN and not liking its got macho athletes, coaches and most of the employees may be beer guzzling sports fans. If they dont like sports content, maybe they should work at a different kind of TV channel.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Good.

"Do what we pay you to do, or get the fuck out", what a riveting policy. More companies should adopt this revolutionary management style.
No kidding.

Lucky for me I've never seen anything close to wokeism or a NF memo like that in every company I've worked at. The most you get from HR or the CEO are one-off canned memos like earnings reports, town hall recaps, Pride month and things like that.

It's a sight to behold a corporation has to tell their employees if they dont like the products, quit to another job. The products some of my past employers made arent exactly party central. Most of the shit is boring and I'd never use it even if free. When I get my stash of free shit I give almost all of it away. Some of the product lines are total cheap junk too. Who cares. If it sucks so bad I'll quit on my own.

But leave it to modern day manchildren to be told what to do at work - even including being told whether you should quit the company or not. Hilarious.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Amazing that a corporation has to issue a memo like that to the 1000s of manbaby employees they have. Youd think working at a media company with probably 10,000 movies and TV shows from all genres and from around the world would automatically make a person think "is the company right for me" even before accepting the job.

It'd be like someone working at ESPN or TSN and not liking its got macho athletes, coaches and most of the employees may be beer guzzling sports fans. If they dont like sports content, maybe they should work at a different kind of TV channel.
No kidding.

Lucky for me I've never seen anything close to wokeism or a NF memo like that in every company I've worked at. The most you get from HR or the CEO are one-off canned memos like earnings reports, town hall recaps, Pride month and things like that.

It's a sight to behold a corporation has to tell their employees if they dont like the products, quit to another job. The products some of my past employers made arent exactly party central. Most of the shit is boring and I'd never use it even if free. When I get my stash of free shit I give almost all of it away. Some of the product lines are total cheap junk too. Who cares. If it sucks so bad I'll quit on my own.

But leave it to modern day manchildren to be told what to do at work - even including being told whether you should quit the company or not. Hilarious.
Stark contrast and more like you on these subjects than in the recently closed Jim Ryan thread for him doing the very same thing.

Wonder why the change in tone?🤔

With that said, I agree with you. People are getting batshit insane in the polarization, and they're not going to like the clapback when it impacts the bottom line and work environments.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Stark contrast and more like you on these subjects than in the recently closed Jim Ryan thread for him doing the very same thing.

Wonder why the change in tone?🤔

With that said, I agree with you. People are getting batshit insane in the polarization, and they're not going to like the clapback when it impacts the bottom line and work environments.
the key difference is NF has been in the news battling it out with the woman suing them. So it’s got to a point they make a statement to employees to stay or go.

What does Roe vs Wade have to do with Sony? Is Sony having internal issues where employees are ragging on each other? Who knows.

As for polarization, you don’t even need to get into politics. People get entitled. With COVID and a lot of people working from home a lot of people don’t want to go back anymore. My company is opening up there office and probably half the people don’t want to go back unless forced to.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
the key difference is NF has been in the news battling it out with the woman suing them. So it’s got to a point they make a statement to employees to stay or go.

What does Roe vs Wade have to do with Sony? Is Sony having internal issues where employees are ragging on each other? Who knows.

As for polarization, you don’t even need to get into politics. People get entitled. With COVID and a lot of people working from home a lot of people don’t want to go back anymore. My company is opening up there office and probably half the people don’t want to go back unless forced to.
Bro, we are not going to go down that path to get this thread closed. Let's stick to the nature of company memos for workplace and consumer tension.

His memo was to tell his employees to be mindful and respectful to not only each other, but to their customers. Since one of their new studios was literally shitting on their customer base, and more than likely they received complaints about staff vs staff as well.

It was the same shit as this, same tone (actually, Jim Ryan was nicer about it), and same polarizing cultural political BS.

Last edited:
Seems that the woke backlash is getting bigger. Netflix changes internal policies. https://www.dailywire.com/news/netf...t-at-its-woke-employees-with-new-culture-memo
Great link.

I'm a huge fan of the Daily Wire and their content so I had already seen this.

Somewhat related: in today's podcast Ben Shapiro actually had a somewhat lengthy portion dedicated to the Washington Post's piece on "video game silence about Roe v Wade." Shapiro even calls out Nathan Grayson by name. But that's all I'll say about it since it veers into politics and I respect (and will do my part to uphold) this forum's ban on political talk.

cheststrongwell

my cake, fuck off
Finally! Do the fucking job you were hired for or get the fuck out. I hope more corporations follow suit. There is no negotiating with these people, they will always find something new to bitch and complain about. The backlash to this "woke" bullshit is going to do serious damage to real progressive gains. Purple haired bitches.

Do the fucking job you were hired for or get the fuck out.
The way it should be.

The problem with a certain segment of our society is that they aren't just happy with believing their own politics... They want everyone else, regardless of context, to follow their politics.

I don't care if you believe in whatever politics you want to believe. But you should keep that shit to your friends, family, and whatever local group of asshole activists you belong to.

A company's job is to provide products/services and make money in the process. A professional sporting organization's job is to provide entertainment to the fans via sporting competition. A school's job is to... You get the point. Keep politics out of those parts of society. The "everything is political" crowd just makes shit unpleasant for everybody else.

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
Good, so the cancer is finally being treated.
Hope more companies will engage this approach soon.
It's so funny and related. Many Pride events are being cancelled because they accused organisators of being too white and gay, so many quit and nobody wants to do the job, and when they do they all have those intersectional grievance and they fight to know who's the most oppressed. That culture is indeed cancer in any organization. Gay bars are closing en masse because of the community leaders wanted to become more inclusive and diverse, so those bars attracted the purple hair crowds (who don't have much money). Gay guys don't want to participate in such places thus the bars closed (pandemic didn't help either but it started before it).

These things should have happened years ago ! Before great shows and movies getting destroyed for the sake of these bullshit ideas !

the situation we got into is also on all of us ! We allowed some minor idiots to be loud and did not show enough voice outside our borders like here !

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I doubt there's a widespread problem with activism at Netflix. It's likely a small but extremely aggressive and vocal group with some fair weather sympathizers. Netflix wouldn't antagonize their employees with this if it were a prevailing opinion among their ranks, especially not as their stock tanks and prospects keep looking more bleak by the day. This is laying the groundwork towards dismissing workers who are disruptive.

And I think it's a completely fair position to take as an employer. It's not like Netflix is running some kind of shady business and is asking their employees to commit to hateful, harmful, or grueling conditions. These are white collar workers, working in an industry that affords plenty of opportunity. If some developer earning $200k a year doesn't want to signal boost a comedian, or some producer earning a million a year doesn't think their assigned projects are progressive enough, they're free to leave and earn that good money someplace else.

Top Bottom