• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix reinstates worker who spoke out against Dave Chappelle

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
FCg-VWyVIAMx5qv.jpg

What a Hypocrite
gross jeff goldblum GIF

This is funny for a Finn.

But the not so funny part is that everything comes here in a few years delay, so when the possible change to more mental state is happening around the world, we get to have our own shit storm.

Last edited:

taizuke

Recently a couple of celebrities chimed in saying they support the trans people organizing the walkout.

It's interesting because it sort of has become a double edge sword to support matters like this. On one hand you have someone like Elliott Paige who recently came out as a trans man and would no doubt support his brothers and sisters during this time.

But, a part of me can't help but wonder if it's a pre-emptive move on his part. I mean let's say he actually supports Dave and stays quiet throughout this whole thing. Then when season 3 of Umbrella Academy rolls around you know some of this people are going to eat him alive saying "where were you when we needed you".

So, I like to believe most of these celebrities but I wonder if they're doing it to save their own skin.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Recently a couple of celebrities chimed in saying they support the trans people organizing the walkout.

It's interesting because it sort of has become a double edge sword to support matters like this. On one hand you have someone like Elliott Paige who recently came out as a trans man and would no doubt support his brothers and sisters during this time.

But, a part of me can't help but wonder if it's a pre-emptive move on his part. I mean let's say he actually supports Dave and stays quiet throughout this whole thing. Then when season 3 of Umbrella Academy rolls around you know some of this people are going to eat him alive saying "where were you when we needed you".

So, I like to believe most of these celebrities but I wonder if they're doing it to save their own skin.
It's all false altruism.

As I said, I feel bad for the regular LGBTQ people out there that only wanted to be accepted and not pointed at. I think we made strides in that regard and then I donno what happened in the last 5 years where these "activists" started popping out with full on rage and hate and started burning careers left and right. It went from "Ey let us live our own lives" to " everybody watch and listen to me, Im so trans that I decided to look like an alien to make sure all eyes are on me".

As Chapel said, a rapper literally killed another man, took a life on the streets of US and it didnt affect his career but because he made a homophobic statement, got kicked off tour, festivals dont want him, spotify deleted him lol. Like, lets get priorities straight, this guy killed a man and he is rapping at music festivals :messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:

NickFire

As I said, I feel bad for the regular LGBTQ people out there that only wanted to be accepted and not pointed at. I think we made strides in that regard and then I donno what happened in the last 5 years where these "activists" started popping out with full on rage and hate and started burning careers left and right. It went from "Ey let us live our own lives" to " everybody watch and listen to me, Im so trans that I decided to look like an alien to make sure all eyes are on me".
Some of these people might be just looking for attention I guess. But I feel rather strongly what we are experiencing can be summed up as power corrupts people, inflicting pain on others makes bad people feel good, and people get caught up in cults way too easily.

Cancel culture is nothing more than a mild version of sadists doing their thing.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Some of these people might be just looking for attention I guess. But I feel rather strongly what we are experiencing can be summed up as power corrupts people, inflicting pain on others makes bad people feel good, and people get caught up in cults way too easily.

Cancel culture is nothing more than a mild version of sadists doing their thing.
And those types are easily weaponized by power structures whom want division amongst the peasants.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
He's still touring. I'm sorry to disappoint you.
I'm disappointed?

OmegaSupreme OmegaSupreme feel free to quote any post of mine in this thread that says Dave should be cancelled or that I would be disappointed if he wasn't.

I'll wait. 🙂

You can't. Because I never said anything like that. Nice try though.

Last edited:

belmarduk

Time will tell on that point I think.

He has already publicly stated his documentary is not getting any interest from anywhere after all this mess.

Oh, the interest is still there. Its just that certain film festivals won't be showing the documentary. He's self-releasing it in ten cities.. and I'm guessing there will be a sgreat deal of interest as he is probably the best-known stand up comic at this time and he's only increased his profile because of the controversy. Unforunately, none of the cities it will be showing are in the south where I live but you can bet I would go to see it.

Nobody_Important

Oh, the interest is still there. Its just that certain film festivals won't be showing the documentary. He's self-releasing it in ten cities.. and I'm guessing there will be a sgreat deal of interest as he is probably the best-known stand up comic at this time and he's only increased his profile because of the controversy. Unforunately, none of the cities it will be showing are in the south where I live but you can bet I would go to see it.
That sounds about right for the situation. I wish him luck with trying to get his stuff out without industry help though.

Nobody_Important

What industry help do you think a man of his status needs? He's not canceled. You'll recover. On to your next target.
Once again. Quote where I ever said that I believe he should be cancelled or that I supported him being cancelled. I even just said that I wish him luck getting his documentary out there.

You are literally making shit up.

Last edited:

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
I got tickets to see him live in SF on Nov 4th. I am expecting some shenanigans at the door.

Ionian

$20 million.

Also he was in the pic with Kayne when he pulled the stunt of fleeing but yet might be getting back together with Kim for no doubt a TV 'Special' episode.

Oh wait, they filmed it already?

I dunno, money is money. He's funny sometimes, his Rick James was great and Prince. His stand-up? Naaaaaaaah.

Total grift.

Lognor

Banned
Also he was in the pic with Kayne when he pulled the stunt of fleeing but yet might be getting back together with Kim for no doubt a TV 'Special' episode.

Oh wait, they filmed it already?

I dunno, money is money. He's funny sometimes, his Rick James was great and Prince. His stand-up? Naaaaaaaah.

Total grift.
Yeah. I haven't seen the most recent stand-up, but saw the one before and it's not really stand-up. He's not really telling jokes. He's up there telling stories, some amusing, but I'm not sure i laughed at all. Still enjoyable, but I think he's better suited for sketch comedy... if Netflix picked up rights to the Chapelle show that would be something

Ionian

Yeah. I haven't seen the most recent stand-up, but saw the one before and it's not really stand-up. He's not really telling jokes. He's up there telling stories, some amusing, but I'm not sure i laughed at all. Still enjoyable, but I think he's better suited for sketch comedy... if Netflix picked up rights to the Chapelle show that would be something

Bang on the money there, he really just talks.

At least Bill Hicks concluded with a punch-line.

Dude doesn't need to care with that already banked. Funniest thing is that he does.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Respect to Caitlyn, especially given that she was butt of one joke in that special.
Thats probably because at her heart, she's an athlete. And grew up with sports. Never knew this until I did a wiki check but Bruce/Caitlyn earned a football scholarship.

And with sports, it's always a tough slog, balls to the wall kind of atmosphere where it's about perseverance, getting smack talked by others, dishing out smack talk, but at the end of the day or career, it was a job and nobody really cares. It's a bunch of athletes yucking it up for laughs or getting others off their game and you leave it at that.

You don't whine like a crybaby in grade 2 because Tommy called you a name at recess. Everyone can understand kids being emotional picked on, but you'd think at age 20 or 30 people would be smart enough to ignore dopiness and just live life.

It's like those depressed people who hate when some people on their YT or Twitter account tells them to "eat shit and die cuz you suck!". And that guy keeps doing it over and over again. If anyone really gives a shit that much that people are trolling them with one liners, you should probably get off the internet. If someone wants to be popular trying to get as many subs and thumbs ups, you also better be ready for snarky remarks and downvotes. Some people dont get it. Maybe if this was 1995 and some people were on the net in those early 56k modem days and got exposed to the first time random people were telling them to fuck off, it'd be a surprise because nobody would get or see that. It would be a first timer thing. Now, everyone knows the net is full of trolls and wacky wokers, who cares.

Modern day Twitter mobs should be lucky it's sanitized now because if the was the Yahoo Stock Forums of the 1999-2001 dot com boom and bust where it was unmoderated, people cussing and openly trying to dox people, they'd probably jump off a bridge in the next 24 hours. If anyone hated the forum back then, then dont make an account and join in the stupidity.

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
Ok, I’m so confused since the Verge doesn’t know how to use punctuation:

B. Pagels-Minor, a Black trans program manager
B., who is 35 weeks pregnant, is now about to lose their health insurance.
So is she a trans female? But even with transition how is she able to be pregnant? Or she is cis and just happens to be a program manager?

Two things get Nicolas Cage:
1. The fact that people are more focused on trans than on the fact you can be fired being in last trimester of the pregnancy.
2. The Verge tendency not to allow comments in a topics like that - not very discussion-friendly.

Nicolas Cage Laughing GIF

Kenpachii

Saw his special, frankly i dunno where the time went. felt like it just started but was already 1+hour in and then it moved to the ending already. No wonder people watch him.

Watched it last night. It was quite funny.

But the reaction of these few trans activists is absolutely appaulling considering the support he was showing for his friend and the tragic end of his/her life. Either that or these zealots are talking shit having not watched the show....

Fbh

All this shit is probably just going to hurt regular trans people that just want to live normally.
No one will say it out loud but reading about all this drama I can imagine many business owners will have second guesses about hiring trans people since it seems it will just bring conflict and issues in the future.

Ok, I’m so confused since the Verge doesn’t know how to use punctuation:

So is she a trans female? But even with transition how is she able to be pregnant? Or she is cis and just happens to be a program manager?

Two things get Nicolas Cage:
1. The fact that people are more focused on trans than on the fact you can be fired being in last trimester of the pregnancy.
2. The Verge tendency not to allow comments in a topics like that - not very discussion-friendly.

Nicolas Cage Laughing GIF

Could be a female to male trans, right?

Last edited:

Ionian

Thats probably because at her heart, she's an athlete. And grew up with sports. Never knew this until I did a wiki check but Bruce/Caitlyn earned a football scholarship.

And with sports, it's always a tough slog, balls to the wall kind of atmosphere where it's about perseverance, getting smack talked by others, dishing out smack talk, but at the end of the day or career, it was a job and nobody really cares. It's a bunch of athletes yucking it up for laughs or getting others off their game and you leave it at that.

You don't whine like a crybaby in grade 2 because Tommy called you a name at recess. Everyone can understand kids being emotional picked on, but you'd think at age 20 or 30 people would be smart enough to ignore dopiness and just live life.

It's like those depressed people who hate when some people on their YT or Twitter account tells them to "eat shit and die cuz you suck!". And that guy keeps doing it over and over again. If anyone really gives a shit that much that people are trolling them with one liners, you should probably get off the internet. If someone wants to be popular trying to get as many subs and thumbs ups, you also better be ready for snarky remarks and downvotes. Some people dont get it. Maybe if this was 1995 and some people were on the net in those early 56k modem days and got exposed to the first time random people were telling them to fuck off, it'd be a surprise because nobody would get or see that. It would be a first timer thing. Now, everyone knows the net is full of trolls and wacky wokers, who cares.

Modern day Twitter mobs should be lucky it's sanitized now because if the was the Yahoo Stock Forums of the 1999-2001 dot com boom and bust where it was unmoderated, people cussing and openly trying to dox people, they'd probably jump off a bridge in the next 24 hours. If anyone hated the forum back then, then dont make an account and join in the stupidity.
I miss the old Yahoo chat rooms.

Used to go into the Kareoke one and use my guitar pedals, mostly digital delay and sing over people. (Could blame it on the modem back then)

They went ballastic and asked me to wait my turn. I'd apologise and wait for my moment again, to fuck their tone-deaf kareoke up. Seriously nearly laughed myself to death when turning the dials on the pedal and them screaming whilst I sang.

Then I had a dude PM me saying something along the lines of 'wanna watch me play with my wife'. Think I was drunk and agreed, some redneck with a whale, completely unwankable. Was real as well as I asked him to do stuff, turned it off before I vomitted.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Seriously, who the fuck do these people think they are?

Essentially they want editorial control and powers of veto over content! If it was me I'd fire them, because you cannot have raging egos like that through any organization.

The blatant dishonesty of claiming "harm" when its entirely and unambiguously a power grab is just the icing on the cake.

Let them fight. Netflix needs to realize that they have been catering to an extremely vocal miniscule minority that will never be satisfied. I want pre-2017 Netflix again. Fire these loonies, purge the algorithm, and get back to GOOD STORIES instead of homogenized crap.

let this be an example to other companies who hire these degenerates, these mental belong in the institutions or back in their closets

CGiRanger

Banned
Seriously, who the fuck do these people think they are?

Essentially they want editorial control and powers of veto over content! If it was me I'd fire them, because you cannot have raging egos like that through any organization.

The blatant dishonesty of claiming "harm" when its entirely and unambiguously a power grab is just the icing on the cake.
And these are exactly the type of hires you get when you focus on DEI/DIE requirements. Because the only reason these people are in those jobs are due to lowering standards and accepting people who's only contributions is to fill a diversity checklist and no other reason.

dcll

Banned
I just saw a clip from Dave basically being a coward and blaming corporate interests as the reason for all the hysteria and trying to get him canc led and said it wasn't the alphabet mafia, weak as hell and I'm surprised he is not calling it like it is.

Last edited:

Ionian

I just saw a clip from Dave basically being a coward and blaming corporate interests as the reason for all the hysteria and trying to get him canc led and said it wasn't the alphabet mafia, weak as hell and I'm surprised he is not calling it like it is.

Dude hung aronud with Kanye. Says it all. $$$.

Oh whoops.

Jsisto

He’s not wrong. The root of the problem is corporate interests responding to these types of angry mobs and validating them out of their own self preservations instead of having a backbone and standing up. Then they smell blood and move onto the next target, it’s a vicious cycle. Regardless of how you feel about the individuals, I’d say this Chapelle Netflix thing and the Joe Rogan Spotify deal are the first big examples of corporations saying “nope”. In these cases it’s solely because of the money they’re bringing in, but we need to see more of this. You arent truly “cancelled” if you still have a platform, and the corporations are the ones providing the platform, I think is the point he was trying to make.

Last edited:
Top Bottom