• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix reinstates worker who spoke out against Dave Chappelle

DarkestHour

Banned
What ?? Since when that word is offensive ? Isn’t that their gender ?
I am honestly not trying to be rude or insulting to them as that. I am not transphobic at all.
Sorry if anyone here got offended. My precious msg was directed ONLY to that bitch.

Tranny is bad the same way as "midgets" is bad.

What an ugly dude/ girl or whatever you think you are ( I honestly think you are an alien but that’s just me ) .

Attacking a comedian for making a joke . But it’s ok to make joke about male / females / white or black . But not you, you fucking ugly snowflake. Your can’t handle a joke and want to decompress . Lmao at decompress . I hope you decompress till you vanish. You and people like who in the cancel culture. Go to Reera and cry there along with Jason and the rest of “ whatever you wanna call your self over there “.

thank god not all trannys are like you you ugly mutt

Tell us how you really feel

FunkMiller

Gold Member
I am honestly not trying to be rude or insulting to them as that. I am not transphobic at all.
Sorry if anyone here got offended. My precious msg was directed ONLY to that bitch.

T***** is up there with N***** and F***** for the transgender community. Don't use it. Use the term 'trans'. That's fine (y)

Or just call individual people who you're calling out 'cunts'. Always works for me :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

Papacheeks

Banned

It's in TOS I believe. It's considered a slur. You can just say trans, transgender. The other which you used is considered a slur.

Soodanim

Gold Member
T***** is up there with N***** and F***** for the transgender community. Don't use it. Use the term 'trans'. That's fine (y)

Or just call individual people who you're calling out 'cunts'. Always works for me :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Nanny and fanny, I get you

I get that it's offensive because of use because experience shapes us and that applies to the language we hear used against us because it can be remind us of abusive/offensive people or attitudes even when it isn't intended as such, but I always think it's strange when a very common word shortening of multi-syllabic words becomes taboo. It would be fine to say "The Uzbeki fella" for an Uzbekistani bloke, but if you applied the same to a Pakistani fella you might get yourself in some trouble. (Again, I know it's because "Paki" was used as an insult to describe so many different nationalities, don't miss my point GAF.)

Same goes for tranny. You might intend for it to be as innocent as asking for a ciggy (cigarette) or any other shortening, but the word has been tainted. I suppose you could always make efforts to stay away from -y shortenings and ask someone for a fag instead. Just not in America.

jason10mm

Gold Member
It's in TOS I believe. It's considered a slur. You can just say trans, transgender. The other which you used is considered a slur.

For now. How long until the "words you can't say" sliding continuum makes "trans" a slur and then retroactively cancels folks using it in the here and now? That's what happened with most of these so called insults. The word itself becomes special and the meaning or intent behind it is lost. Can I say that my car tranny went out, but thank god it was right before the extended warranty expired so I was saved 10K?

I'm curious why those words are even typable on here. I'm on plenty of boards that censor them. Is it to prevent folks from casually throwing them around and relying on the censor to avoid judgement or are they allowed as bait?

Papacheeks

Banned
For now. How long until the "words you can't say" sliding continuum makes "trans" a slur and then retroactively cancels folks using it in the here and now? That's what happened with most of these so called insults. The word itself becomes special and the meaning or intent behind it is lost. Can I say that my car tranny went out, but thank god it was right before the extended warranty expired so I was saved 10K?

I'm curious why those words are even typable on here. I'm on plenty of boards that censor them. Is it to prevent folks from casually throwing them around and relying on the censor to avoid judgement or are they allowed as bait?

I mean you should not call someone the N word nor should you call someone the F word.

Pretty simple. No one is saying you cant say cunt, which I think is a great word because british films you cant go 2 seconds without hearing it and its funny. I mean if you want to go and use slurs then join 4chan. Your acting like this is not proper edicate around other none gaming forums?

I mean I dont use any of that on my Motorcycle/Overclockers/CG Talk forums I am still associated with. And anyone that I've seen use slurs like that have been banned. No one is saying you cant say what you want but there are more proper ways to conduct yourself when speaking your mind.

Which is the point of TOS, your trying to make it welcome for anyone not just people who have no filter.

jason10mm

Gold Member
My point is that the term "trans" might be fine now, but for how long? The list of language considered insulting, at least by members not deemed to be inside the community, is ever growing. Call a black man a negro or colored today and see what happens. Same with tranny just in the past few years and how long until some trans folks make enough of a stink that 'trans' becomes viewed the same way? So to dogpile someone for using a term that has a variable meaning seems counter productive since there isn't much of a global consensus on a lot of this stuff and terms are often cast in a different light just to make an attack on someone "not in the know".

If I'm reading some early 20th century lit and the term "faggot" comes up and it is clear it's referring to a piece of wood or a cigarette should I censor myself from even uttering the sound?

Cunt is a pretty bad term here in the US, especially when applied to a woman. People have gotten into somewhat serious trouble using it towards women (thinking of the BRCC guy who said it towards a female politician). I seriously doubt ANYONE would use it in casual conversation. Isn't "fanny" pretty juicy language in the UK?

FunkMiller

Gold Member
My point is that the term "trans" might be fine now, but for how long? The list of language considered insulting, at least by members not deemed to be inside the community, is ever growing. Call a black man a negro or colored today and see what happens. Same with tranny just in the past few years and how long until some trans folks make enough of a stink that 'trans' becomes viewed the same way? So to dogpile someone for using a term that has a variable meaning seems counter productive since there isn't much of a global consensus on a lot of this stuff and terms are often cast in a different light just to make an attack on someone "not in the know".

If I'm reading some early 20th century lit and the term "faggot" comes up and it is clear it's referring to a piece of wood or a cigarette should I censor myself from even uttering the sound?

Cunt is a pretty bad term here in the US, especially when applied to a woman. People have gotten into somewhat serious trouble using it towards women (thinking of the BRCC guy who said it towards a female politician). I seriously doubt ANYONE would use it in casual conversation. Isn't "fanny" pretty juicy language in the UK?

Look, ‘tr***y’ is - and always has been - a derogatory and hateful term used at transgender people. If you use it, you’re a cunt.

And cunt is an insult used at both sexes everywhere other than the US. Never visit Australia or the UK. It’s used in conversation here all the fucking time - mainly aimed at men. Fanny means vagina. It’s really not that bad a word.

Tr***y is universally bigoted and hateful when used to refer to transgender people. The same as f****t is when referring to gay people.

Accept it. Don’t use them.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
Look, ‘tr***y’ is - and always has been - a derogatory and hateful term used at transgender people. If you use it, you’re a cunt.

And cunt is an insult used at both sexes everywhere other than the US. Never visit Australia or the UK. It’s used in conversation here all the fucking time - mainly aimed at men. Fanny means vagina. It’s really not that bad a word.

Tr***y is universally bigoted and hateful when used to refer to transgender people. The same as f****t is when referring to gay people.

Accept it. Don’t use them.
Come to the US and call a woman a cunt, see how well that goes for you. And everyone knows a fanny is a nice ass, why you guys gotta be so gross?

So, to be clear, you are ok with tranny when it refers to a car transmission and faggot if it refers to a cig or stick of wood? And are these terms acceptable if used within their respective communities towards each other? Who makes these rules about words and when will "trans" become an outsider insult as well (given the long history of abbreviated words turning into insults [see "jap", "paki", "chink" and probably a bunch more I'm forgetting and only list out to be clear in this academic discussion])?

Anyway, its a bit of a silly discussion for adults. Probably save us all a lot of trouble if the forums auto-censored them but whatevs.

zeorhymer

Come to the US and call a woman a cunt, see how well that goes for you. And everyone knows a fanny is a nice ass, why you guys gotta be so gross?

So, to be clear, you are ok with tranny when it refers to a car transmission and faggot if it refers to a cig or stick of wood? And are these terms acceptable if used within their respective communities towards each other? Who makes these rules about words and when will "trans" become an outsider insult as well (given the long history of abbreviated words turning into insults [see "jap", "paki", "chink" and probably a bunch more I'm forgetting and only list out to be clear in this academic discussion])?

Anyway, its a bit of a silly discussion for adults. Probably save us all a lot of trouble if the forums auto-censored them but whatevs.
Context is lost on a lot of people. Goalposts are always moving. The only way to win is to not play their game.

FunkMiller

Gold Member

Do you really need to be told that the context of how you use a word is important?

jason10mm

Gold Member
Do you really need to be told that the context of how you use a word is important?
Sure. You won't even type out the complete word. If you can't even write it, in the context of NOT using it in a derogatory fashion, then the context of the word clearly doesn't really matter, does it? Just answer my questions with a simple yes/no. Here, I'll repeat it in the manner you prefer so you can quote it safely ;)

So, to be clear, you are ok with tr****y when it refers to a car transmission and f****t if it refers to a cig or stick of wood? And are these terms acceptable if used within their respective communities towards each other? Who makes these rules about words and when will "trans" become an outsider insult as well (given the long history of abbreviated words turning into insults [see "j*p", "p**i", "c***k" and probably a bunch more I'm forgetting and only list out to be clear in this academic discussion])?

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Sure. You won't even type out the complete word. If you can't even write it, in the context of NOT using it in a derogatory fashion, then the context of the word clearly doesn't really matter, does it? Just answer my questions with a simple yes/no. Here, I'll repeat it in the manner you prefer so you can quote it safely ;)

So, to be clear, you are ok with tr****y when it refers to a car transmission and f****t if it refers to a cig or stick of wood? And are these terms acceptable if used within their respective communities towards each other? Who makes these rules about words and when will "trans" become an outsider insult as well (given the long history of abbreviated words turning into insults [see "j*p", "p**i", "c***k" and probably a bunch more I'm forgetting and only list out to be clear in this academic discussion])?

As I say, context is everything.

Look, you want to be able to use those slurs. That’s quite clear. Not a lot of point in me continuing this conversation. You use whatever words you like in whatever context you like, and see where that gets you 👍

Ionian

I always thought he was Irish.

Fanny here means vagina, was hilarious hearing about fanny-packs as a kids, Even bum-bag was enough for a laugh as worn on the front (which here bum means ass).

Fag is a cigarette and people still use it non-offensively although far less connon as some do use it offensively. Decent people realised this over time and stopped. Hell even some gay people refer to them as one.

As the previous poster pointed out, context truly is everything. Language and meaning evolves and adapts for social situations, as it should.

I can't imagine anyone I know applauding the use of 'tranny', but I don't hang around people who would.

Stop being so brittle. Do some homework on the terms.

Edit: another example, Americans say St. Paddy's/Patty's day. That can be offensive to Irish people as was and still is used as a derogatory term against Irish people. Again, educate yourself.

Last edited:

dcll

Banned
MT153mi.jpg
SoudM2i.jpg

SJRB

Gold Member
It's these kind of responses to even the slightest of jokes that makes the trans community insufferable.

All of this for a group that represents 0.3% of the population. Please stop giving these people the attention they crave for so much. I understand that power is addicting but trying to destroy someone's life over a joke makes you a trash human being, regardless of your skin color, sex, gender of whatever it is you identify as.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I don't know if it's just a small sample size, but I've noticed that trans women who look legitimately sexy never seem to care about this kinda stuff, it's always the trans women who look like Buffalo Bill.
100% true correlation.

Typically the better looking someone is (doesn't even matter if man/woman, straight or where they fit in the LBQT group), the more outgoing, personable, looks better, dress better they are. They arent holed up on Twitter all night complaining about social injustice acting weird, wearing dirty tshirts and getting pink hair.

It's basically a snowball effect of some sort too.

The weirder you are, the more you hang with weird people. And then it's like a competition of who looks or acts the weirdest. I guess no different than good looking people. The good looking ones always know if they are good looking and amp it up with acting sexy, dressing slick and being flirty knowing full well when to do it and when not to. And then it's a competition for some of who can be the hottest.

Last edited:

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
100% true correlation.

Typically the better looking someone is (doesn't even matter if man/woman, straight or where they fit in the LBQT group), the more outgoing, personable, looks better, dress better they are. They arent holed up on Twitter all night complaining about social injustice acting weird, wearing dirty tshirts and getting pink hair.

It's basically a snowball effect of some sort too.

The weirder you are, the more you hang with weird people. And then it's like a competition of who looks or acts the weirdest. I guess no different than good looking people. The good looking ones always know if they are good looking and amp it up with acting sexy, dressing slick and being flirty knowing full well when to do it and when not to. And then it's a competition for some of who can be the hottest.
And I think trans women who don't look so great may have a deep self-loathing, and after years of self-loathing develops a narcissism and entitlement as a defense mechanism where they need to try and have society pander to them because they feel they're owed x, y, and z.

But trans women who look good and have their shit together probably are much more self-confident and have very little insecurities so they don't care what other people think about them and let this stuff kinda roll off their back.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
And I think trans women who don't look so great may have a deep self-loathing, and after years of self-loathing develops a narcissism and entitlement as a defense mechanism where they need to try and have society pander to them because they feel they're owed x, y, and z.

But trans women who look good and have their shit together probably are much more self-confident and have very little insecurities so they don't care what other people think about them and let this stuff kinda roll off their back.
That's the thing. Confidence. And unfortunately it's something many people lack. In life, people got to get over worrying what other people think to impress and dont be jealous. Just do what you do and dont complain. I'm not saying act like a smelly slob, but just be chill and respectful.

If a trans person dolls up and looks good and loves it, good on them for confidence.

But you dont even have to be good looking either.

I'm an average looking fat guy probably 40 lbs overweight. Aside from occasional spurts of activity (like once every 3 years where I run at half speed vs decades ago) I havent been active in sports since university, and there is zero way anyone would claim I'm a slick dresser even though sometimes I do my best buying clothes that I think look good. But my shirt looks retarded puffed out due to my gut.

I dont give a shit. I'll still do it since I want to look decent at the office or at a nice dinner. I dont want to look like a dirty slob, but I'm not going to lash out at the world hating the world or people who look better than me. If anything, if you got it, flaunt it!

Last edited:
Top Bottom