• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix really wants to get into video games

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Netflix is reportedly searching for an executive to head up an expansion into video games, according to a report published Friday by The Information. The report suggests Netflix has approached multiple “veteran game industry executives” regarding the position, which would expand its efforts in video games.

The Information reported that Netflix is considering a “bundle” of games available via a subscription, like Apple Arcade; the Apple bundle launched in 2019 with a number of exclusive (and timed exclusive) games, available for $4.99 a month. Apple has continued to support the platform by adding new games at a pretty consistent pace.

A Netflix spokesperson told Polygon the company is “excited to do more with interactive entertainment.” The full statement is available below.

Our members value the variety and quality of our content. It’s why we’ve continually expanded our offering — from series to documentaries, film, local language originals and reality TV. Members also enjoy engaging more directly with stories they love — through interactive shows like Bandersnatch and You v. Wild, or games based on Stranger Things, La Casa de Papel and To All the Boys. So we’re excited to do more with interactive entertainment.

Didn't they have some sort of working relationship with Telltale Games a few years ago? I believe they intended to develop some adventure games that would be playable using streaming technology.
The streaming platform has experimented with interactive video experiences and video games in the past — in 2018, it published Black Mirror: Bandersnatch, a Choose Your Own Adventure-style movie, followed by a similarly interactive experience in 2020 for an Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt episode. That’s on top of its experience producing series based off video game properties, like Dota, Castlevania, and The Witcher and its spinoffs, as well as upcoming shows based on Magic: The Gathering, Sonic the Hedgehog, and League of Legends.

Netflix has also produced games before — with third-party developers — based off its Stranger Things series: a Stranger Things mobile game and Stranger Things 3: The Game.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

Of course, it’s estimated that gaming will be close to triple the movie/TV industry by 2025. 2020 was peak movie industry revenue because of lockdown, but in a typical year, gaming outperform them by a factor of 2.

Year to year growth is insane.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
See Ya Goodbye GIF

Let the race to the bottom commence

Bridges

Didn't they have some sort of working relationship with Telltale Games a few years ago? I believe they intended to develop some adventure games that would be playable using streaming technology.
I wanna say at one point you could play the Minecraft Story mode by Telltale in a Netflix streaming app

FunkMiller

I would say this is a bad thing, but given how poorly existing video game companies behave, would Netflix (or Amazon for that matter) really be any worse?

I‘d be quite happy to see an exodus of talented, creative game devs from shit factories like EA and Ubisoft.

Three

Netflix 's shows and movies suck. I can barely find anything to watch on there. I feel as though the quality of the movies on there are really poor and only try and get viewers from using some old hollywood actors.

Saw a Bruce Willis movie the other day and it was the cheapest garbage I had ever watched. It was called Anti-life. Didn't know whether to laugh or cry.

Netflix need to sort out their shows and movies first.

Agent X

I wanna say at one point you could play the Minecraft Story mode by Telltale in a Netflix streaming app

I did a little digging and there was a Minecraft interactive game developed for Netflix. There was supposed to another one for Stranger Things but it was cancelled.

You're right. It's too bad that this partnership fizzled out, likely due to Telltale's difficulties at that time.

It would have been nice to see them evolve this concept further. Perhaps that might be one of Netflix's intentions now.

Who's next, coca cola? american airlines?

Fucking hell everyone wants a piece of that microtransaction pie.

I would suggest Quaker Oats would be a good candidate to enter the business, but that already happened nearly 40 years ago.

Yoboman

They should just sell TV show microtransactions

Want to see an alternate ending to Game of Thrones where Bronn becomes king? $5 please
Want to see Orange is the New Black but everyone is wearing blue prison jumpsuits? $5 please
Want to see the Crown but the Queen’s voice is dubbed over by Bill Burr? $5 please
Want to see Stranger Things but every character has an Instagram face swap filter? $5 please

TV execs, I’m available for work at C-suite level or higher

TrebleShot

Interesting
Personally think it’s about time there was a new disruptor in the gaming space.

the established big three have released very similar consoles three generations in a row in terms of experience.

BeardGawd

Banned
Now this could definitely be a threat to the big 3. Doesn't Netflix have like 200 million subscribers?? If Netflix goes all in on game streaming you better believe Disney will do the same with Disney+..

jakinov

Netflix said like two weeks ago that they weren’t going to do a separate app or look into gaming and that there’s a lot of room to grow still at what they are already doing. I feel like if anything they are expanding on the interactive movies/shows aspect not the consoles or game streaming route. Games are way too complicated to do unless it will be platform specific but that’s hard to do because a lot of the platforms are walled gardens where they can’t easily enforce the DRM of other applications

Looking forward to a future where there will be half a dozen different streaming services backed by billion dollar corporations moneyhatting exclusives left and right.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

We’re also in the early stages of further expanding into games, building on our earlier efforts around interactivity (eg, Black Mirror Bandersnatch) and our Stranger Things games. We view gaming as another new content category for us, similar to our expansion into original films, animation and unscripted TV. Games will be included in members’ Netflix subscription at no additional cost similar to films and series. Initially, we’ll be primarily focused on games for mobile devices. We’re excited as ever about our movies and TV series offering and we expect a long runway of increasing investment and growth across all of our existing content categories, but since we are nearly a decade into our push into original programming, we think the time is right to learn more about how our members value games.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
If it's just Farmville or Angry Birds with an Orange Is The New Black skin, whatever. But I also sort of feel like this is treading a dangerous line.

Melon Husk

Netflix's growth is really really slowing down.
So they find a new market to expand into.
A little late, and into a hotly contested market, I'd say.

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

During an earnings call this week, Netflix co-CEO Wilmot Reed Hastings asked fellow executives how they would set expectations “in terms of future Night Schools”.

“Again, it’s something that will be opportunistic,” chief operating officer Gregory Peters responded. “So, I would say don’t expect us to go on a tearing, buying spree or something like that. This will be one of the tools that we use, and we’ll use it opportunistically when we find a great opportunity out there.”

Spencer Wang, the company’s VP of finance, added: “You can tell from our track record, we are fairly selective when it comes to M&A. But as Greg said, when an opportunity presents itself, where we feel like we’re aligned with the company, I think that’s an opportunity we’ll take. But again, it’s not – nothing more than that.”

Peters also commented on the decision to buy Night School, which is currently working on Oxenfree II: Lost Signals for release on Switch, PS4, PS5 and PC in 2022.

“We’re tremendously excited about that team in specific because they really – the core of what they’ve done is to try and explore story and narrative essentially as the central game mechanic. And we think that fits really, really well with what we’re trying to do,” he said. “And so it’s been great to get them on board and involved and to hear their thoughts and ideas. And I expect it will be a sort of a rich partnership over years to come.”

Netflix 's shows and movies suck. I can barely find anything to watch on there. I feel as though the quality of the movies on there are really poor and only try and get viewers from using some old hollywood actors.

Saw a Bruce Willis movie the other day and it was the cheapest garbage I had ever watched. It was called Anti-life. Didn't know whether to laugh or cry.

Netflix need to sort out their shows and movies first.
Watch some international content son. Squid Game and Dark are top quality tv.

Impotaku

Who's next, coca cola? american airlines?

Fucking hell everyone wants a piece of that microtransaction pie.
Can you blame them, you can release half baked mtx riddled unfinished pieces of shit and the dumb fuck gamers lap them up. It's a dream come true for companies all that gullible gamer disposable income up for grabs.

Top Bottom