• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix is planing a live action version of One Piece

MastaKiiLA

I'm kinda indifferent on this one. Cowboy Bebop might have a change. Smaller crew, so they could afford a cast. This doesn't seem to have the budget for even that. Kinda funny given that OP is more popular than CB. I hope it's good. I expect it to be bad.

MastaKiiLA

Honestly, better than expected. There is no way Netflix could have kept "propotions" without going full CGI, at least this casting sort of looks like how I would imagine each of them with normal size limbs, waists and boobs.
It's going to suck if they don't do some impressive CG for the admirals. Luckily, if they only do East Blue, they don't have an issue. But when they get to the Grand Line, and they encounter Aokiji and Kizaru for the first times, the visual impression those admirals make with their height was half the wow factor for me. They've got to be intimidating just standing there. Not even NBA-sized actors can make that work IMO.

Wildebeest

It's going to suck if they don't do some impressive CG for the admirals. Luckily, if they only do East Blue, they don't have an issue. But when they get to the Grand Line, and they encounter Aokiji and Kizaru for the first times, the visual impression those admirals make with their height was half the wow factor for me. They've got to be intimidating just standing there. Not even NBA-sized actors can make that work IMO.

Garp and Morgan are both on the same scale as the marine admirals.

Yoboman

I'm kinda indifferent on this one. Cowboy Bebop might have a change. Smaller crew, so they could afford a cast. This doesn't seem to have the budget for even that. Kinda funny given that OP is more popular than CB. I hope it's good. I expect it to be bad.
Budget is $10 million per episode, $100 million for the season. I think only the later seasons of the Crown and Stranger Things have cost more for Netflix

This is the right direction, get relative unknowns who fit the part best and would be willing to be part of a project that could last a decade or more if successful. Just getting celebrities would be a mistake. That's what Game of Thrones did right with casting.

Means more money for production as well.

I could see some bigger names being thrown into the roles of Roger, Shanks, Mihawk etc. Or later villains like Crocodile, Doflamingo etc who will only have brief appearances now and then but are still a big role

Best celebrity fan cast I've heard of is Ken Jeong for Buggy and Jeff Goldblum for Kizaru

Yoboman

Ice, fire, magma, smoke powers etc. are the ones that are easy to make look good. Very rare that those look bad in even the budget super hero TV shows. Its the ones that have body morphing like Luffy that will be way, way harder to get right

Perspective tricks can be used for height like LOTR. But I expect they won't be having 20 ft tall characters in this

Last edited:

Great Hair

Banned
iu

Majukun

5m0Ebn9.jpg

found at 4chan. Looks far better than cowboy bebop cosplayer but still laughable.
looks ok to me...kinda iffy on luffy (pun unintended) because i always imagined him as someone that looks really young, kind of child like, while that actor probably looks older than he really is.

was not soold on sanji either, buut that render got me

Top Bottom