• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix is discontinuing its most popular and convenient plan.

bitbydeath

Gold Member
Most popular plan?
Stranger Things Reaction GIF by SAG Awards

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
I've been off Netflix for ages so don't care, but I wonder how much of this is part of the plan.

I assume they think enough people will pay up that it'll make more money than maintaining current pricing. I was listening to a podcast recently and they said there that Netflix have dramatically changed their approach to funding shows. They said that a while back producers could get stuff greenlit very easily, but recently things have changed a lot.

I assume Netflix consider themselves as fully established and are now ready to make some serious money.

Pejo

Gold Member
Well I've been unsubbed since a few price increases ago, but I dunno if now's the time to return. I can't wait to see which classic anime they ruin with laughable live action shit next.

Kilau

Gold Member
My “free” Netflix through T-Mobile is now $100/year. I’ve only kept it for the minimal safe kids programming. Really past time to cut this shit like I did the rest of the streaming services.

Trogdor1123

Dont they usually grandfather people? This seems like a different approach.

Either way, they are really trying to extract more and more from people, and too fast I think

Cyberpunkd

but I wonder how much of this is part of the plan.
It was always part of the plan and the very foundation of modern start-up growth: start being subsidized by VC money and capture the market with low prices, then slowly start increasing them to become profitable.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
It was always part of the plan and the very foundation of modern start-up growth: start being subsidized by VC money and capture the market with low prices, then slowly start increasing them to become profitable.

I would have said the same, but when I googled it said that Netflix have been profitable for 20+ years, apparently first posting profit in 2003 and since then- but I didn't look into it much.

Cyberpunkd

I am with my cable provider for all cable services for the next 18 months I think, but then we will probably keep one service only.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
lol I knew this was the end game. Same is true for gamepass and every other streaming service.

This is why i never bought into any of this new silicon valley bs. Uber was the same. Cheaper prices at first. No need to tip your fucking cab driver. blah blah blah. Now you get a bad rating if you dont tip and prices are through the roof.

I will gladly pay full price for movies, games, tv shows and music and own it. Thanks but no thanks.

FeralEcho

The journey to the inevitable conclusion of any shit corporation:

-Start out cheap and strong with quality and features

-slowly reduce the quality while keeping the cheap price

-increase price while lowering quality

-slowly reduce features while keeping the price

-see that user numbers are somehow increasing despite the asinine decision making

-increase price further to squeeze more out of the already violated consumer base while adding nothing of value to entice new users

-slowly see the user numbers dwindle while doing nothing to adjust the quality,features or pricing

-bankrupcy

-pikachu face of ceo and board of how was it possible things could've gotten that bad

-calling Scooby Doo to solve this fucking mistery!

When greed is your end goal,don't be surprised when the time comes that people wake up and tell you to fuck off! - sincerily - Scooby Doo

Last edited:

Fbh

Literally the only reason I kept Netflix is because my mom used my account.
After several year they finally figured out she lives in another country and blocked her access, so she told me she'll get her own account through her ISP.

So I can finally cancel this shit

Bojji

It was always the plan.
I'm down to Disney and Amazon Prime for now, only because D+ still alows to share accounts (and a lot of cartoons for kids) and AP is dirt cheap in Poland.
Fuck subscription services, fuck shittification, fuck streaming.

This 100%

I have only Amazon prime (as you said, dirt cheap in Poland) and bought one month od Showtime for Oppenheimer (plus maybe something else), that's it.

Trunx81

Hmm, that's an interesting service. How long have you been using it and have you had any problems?
I just found out a few days ago and it works flawlessly till now. Had a problem in the beginning (ExpressVPN was blocking my login) and the customer service answered pretty quick.

Bought half a year to test it out. Sure, I’m not “alone” because the other 4 people can see what I watched, but I honestly don’t care if they see that we enjoyed Kung Fu Panda and The Crown (kid and wife are the main users).

NickFire

Are we sure this isn't a late April fool's joke? 65% increase with auto cancellations if people don't opt in sounds insane for all parties.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
It's being replaced by the add tier I am assuming. Which would be cheaper and not 720p but of course - ads.

Spyxos

It's being replaced by the add tier I am assuming. Which would be cheaper and not 720p but of course - ads.
That is not the same thing. If you use the version with advertising, you have a much smaller library and of course the advertising on top.

Last edited:

Dural

IPTV and a Plex media server for the win.

The last time I was a Netflix subscriber I was getting DVDs in the mail.

kikkis

Is there is show I want to watch I just sub for a month regardless which service has it. I think 20 dollars could be breaking point when even that is not worth it.

midnightAI

That is not the same thing. If you use the version with advertising, you have a much smaller library and of course the advertising on top.
Sorry, not read into it, but why would it be a much smaller library on the Ad tier?

Edit: I see, a 'small' number are locked out of Ad tier

Last edited:

Spyxos

Sorry, not read into it, but why would it be a much smaller library on the Ad tier?
Netflix says its ad-supported plan includes “the vast majority” of TV shows and movies available on the standard no-ads tiers — but more than a year after the streamer introduced the cheaper option, several popular titles remain unavailable to customers with the ad plan.

“Thanksgiving” is distributed by Sony Pictures Entertainment’s TriStar Pictures — and it appears that the studio’s movie output deal with Netflix excludes titles from ad-based viewing. Other Sony movies unavailable on Netflix’s U.S. ad plan include animated hit “Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse,” “No Hard Feelings,” the R-rated comedy starring Jennifer Lawrence, Tom Hanks-starrer “A Man Called Otto,” John Singleton’s “Boyz N the Hood,” “Gran Turismo,” “Dumb Money,” “Morbius” starring Jared Leto, thriller-comedy “Bullet Train” starring Brad Pitt, “13 Going on 30” starring Jennifer Garner, biopic “Whitney Houston: I Wanna Dance With Somebody,” “Whiplash” starring Miles Teller and J.K. Simmons, “Equalizer 3” starring Denzel Washington.

Meanwhile, TV series currently unavailable to Netflix’s ad-supported members in the U.S. include AMC’s “The Walking Dead,” “Peaky Blinders” starring Cillian Murphy, “The Tourist” thriller starring Jamie Dornan, DreamWorks Animation shows including “Dinotrux,” “Dragons: Race to the Edge,” “Voltron: Legendary Defender” and “Home: Adventures with Tip & Oh,” and “House of Cards,” the landmark Netflix original series from MRC.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
“Thanksgiving” is distributed by Sony Pictures Entertainment’s TriStar Pictures — and it appears that the studio’s movie output deal with Netflix excludes titles from ad-based viewing.

I wonder if that's the actual wording - that is to say "no ads in our films" or if Netflix want to offer something that convinces people to pay up, OR if it's that the deal estimates a certain audience size (definitely this is part of it) and Netflix don't want to pay more to provide the films to their free tier too.

If I was a betting man, I think Sony would just let Netflix screen the films to who they like - as long as they are paying an appropriate amount.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
This was announced in January and essentially is a $6 price hike or you lower the price and get ads.

It’s a pretty big gamble IMO but I’m still subscribing. I watch a lot of Netflix (just binged the shit out of The Last Kingdom and I always seem to be finding random shows I missed.

But with such a large price hike they can lose a ton of subscribers and still end up making more money. Then over time they may end up with people crawling back to the service anyways lol

These services are still cheap for what they offer. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
Top Bottom