• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix give you £500million to create any TV series/film of your choice. What do you make?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
A new gritty Terminator series.

The movies are a joke as they've turned woke and need ancient Arnie as a draw. Failure.

The old Sarah Connor Chronicles got good ratings, but it'll never survive long term as people expect lots of killer actions scenes and kills. You cant get that on network tv.

But put it on NF with a good budget, no tv commercials, no need for Arnie and make it dark and gritty and it can be its own thing.

SirTerry-T

Michael Moorcock's Elric Saga. I'd drag Richard Stanley out from wherever he is hiding to direct it and insist all crew members ingest weapons grade LSD and listen to Hawkwind's "Warriors On The Edge Of Time" on constant repeat.

I'd watch that. HBO's show is probably the only time Rome didn't look like cheap cosplay, but there was still some room for improvement. Your aim for accuracy can only be a good thing.

My ideal would be something similar on the Diadochi wars. Not much has been done on this period and can be beautiful if done right. It's a lot though and may be too what we're talking about here.

The life of Mithridates VI would be my other, and probably preferred choice. His life was certainly interesting. A show with your rules for cast and accuracy would be what I'd like to do.

MrMephistoX

I’d do a sitcom with nothing but mixed race and international couples because the culture clashes with in laws are hilarious…I know from experience. I don’t think it could get made because you’d need the racist remarks from older in laws to make it funny and that would ensure it would get cancelled by SJWs.

Like I literally know a guy who was married to a Chinese girl got divorced and his in laws told all of his ex-wife’s relatives he met in China that he died rather than lose face. I always thought it would be hilarious to get some gimbals and Mics and fly with him to China to his ex’s home town and just record the reactions with a translator.

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
My ideal would be something similar on the Diadochi wars. Not much has been done on this period and can be beautiful if done right. It's a lot though and may be too what we're talking about here.

The life of Mithridates VI would be my other, and probably preferred choice. His life was certainly interesting. A show with your rules for cast and accuracy would be what I'd like to do.

Yes. Yes. Fucking yes please!

The Diadochi wars would make for some absolutely epic television, and the half a billion budget would be needed to do it justice.

Could you imagine seeing a live action version of the Battle of Ipsus, where according to Plutarch there were almost 500 war elephants. Pure epic.

It's also a period of history that is virtually unknown to the majority of people, but is just as epic as Alexander forging his empire.

The life of Mithridates VI and the epic Mithridatic Wars against the Roman Republic would also make an amazing series.

Hope somebody from Netflix is reading this thread!

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
An adaptation of the divine comedy inspired on the works of Beksinski and Mauricio Silerio and written and directed by Jodorowski with musicalscapes by Synthwave artists like Perturbator, Gost, Brut, etc.

Last edited:

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
judge restore GIF

/End thread.

Last edited:
Yes. Yes. Fucking yes please!

The Diadochi wars would make for some absolutely epic television, and the half a billion budget would be needed to do it justice.

Could you imagine seeing a live action version of the Battle of Ipsus, where according to Plutarch there were almost 500 war elephants. Pure epic.

It's also a period of history that is virtually unknown to the majority of people, but is just as epic as Alexander forging his empire.

The life of Mithridates VI and the epic Mithridatic Wars against the Roman Republic would also make an amazing series.

Hope somebody from Netflix is reading this thread!
The whole Hellenistic period is largely ignored unfortunately, save for Cleopatra, which is practically the end of it. Mel Gibson at one point I think wanted to do something on the Maccabees, but I can't think of anything else set during that period.

If they're reading this then they should know that accurate also means real weapons and even the fabrics and dyes used for costumes.

navii

My fantasy is that my girlfriend was actually a young high school girl.
I would record a series where a man has to spend £500million in thirty days, he will buy expensive homes, drive fast cars and boats, have awesome holidays and party with beautiful people, all recorded POV on a gopro attached to his head. That man will be me.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
The whole Hellenistic period is largely ignored unfortunately, save for Cleopatra, which is practically the end of it. Mel Gibson at one point I think wanted to do something on the Maccabees, but I can't think of anything else set during that period.

If they're reading this then they should know that accurate also means real weapons and even the fabrics and dyes used for costumes.

Agreed. The Hellenistic period is an epic period of history, but one that the is mostly unknown to the vast majority of people.

The period is ripe for an epic TV series or film. A TV series based on the life of Pyrrhus of Epirus would be sweet, or since Vin Diesel is never going to make his Hannibal film, a TV series based on the second Punic War. So many possibilities........

Dark Star

Prequel to Harry Potter Netflix series. It would take place in Hogwarts like a thousand years before Voldemort was born, and would focus on the founders of Hogwarts like Salazar Slytheirn. I’d imagine 500M wouldn’t be enough for 7 live action seasons filled with expensive CGI mastery and set building, but it could probably work if the whole thing was an animated series like Castlevania.

DKehoe

Gold Member
I find some youtuber who has spent years nitpicking plotholes in films. They get to use almost all of the money to make whatever film they want. I use the remaining money to make an all access documentary about them crashing and burning.

a show called "How The Modern Leper Spent £500m" which would basically be a show recorded on a cheap ass phone that follows me as I spend it on shit.

seriously though: Harry Potter live action TV series.

i grew up watching the movies and they have a special place in my heart but they are heavily flawed. i want 8 seasons and each season consists of 10-12 x 1 hour long episodes that follow the books as close as possible.

that'd work out at £5.2 - 6.25m per episode budget.

Last edited:
Babylon 5. Easy.

Weakest season, but I love that theme.

I rewatched it with my ex wife whose a mad Trekkie. When Kosh was revealed, I remember her bursting into tears. Nuff said.

Last edited:

INC

I find some youtuber who has spent years nitpicking plotholes in films. They get to use almost all of the money to make whatever film they want. I use the remaining money to make an all access documentary about them crashing and burning.

Remake lost, but using only fan theories to rewrite the series

NahaNago

I'd make another street fighter anime movie. I'd make a mega man legends anime series.
  • I'd make a karate/kung fu movie but using black folks in a fantasy film
  • I'd make more martial art films
  • I'd probably hire a studio to make some anime with black main characters with a focus on sci-fi , martial arts, and fantasy
  • Oh wow if possible I'd make an anime of final fantasy 7 and 9 . FF8 i feel would work best as live action. It has that whole twilight feel to me.

That is all I can think of. I really want more american martial art films like we had in the late 80s and early 90s. 3 ninjas, surf ninjas, and jackie chan type films. Most of the stuff I grew up are getting terrible sequels and reboots so it is hard for me to recommend them.

QSD

Re-commission del Toro's 'At the Mountains of Madness'

Failing that, remake Transformers 1986 with CGI that looks like the Transformers. Scrap 'the touch' from the soundtrack.

Haemi

Stargate series of 5.

Probably the same idea as universe, but a complete reboot of it only this time the planet is a space ship.

They discover a ancient gate that has more then a million combinations on it and a bunch of human sized pods, on a space mine mission on mars.

images

The gate has ancient markings on it, that showcases a star map of a million gates through the universe, with a dot far above it.

Looks like this.

start

end

They uncover that the gate connects towards other gates in other universes far beyond our reach ( as it says origin gate in a ancient language ), but that 1 dot at the top is so far away that the distance couldn't even be calculated with any super computer in there lifetime, even the dot next towards the other dot isn't even calculable.

The gate has text on it that's half wiped out that says, edge of space and time start off ................., arrives in encrypted date, launched ancient date that they know is billions years ago before our universe even formed.

The gate dials with every universe without problems. They send a drone in and it instantly vaporizes, they send more stuff all no dice. They soon send in a pod with a camera and realize that it stays perfectly fine with a camera ( pods float towards the gate when activated).

They send in one person that is basically a lab rat, and he comes back alive after a few days. He said that when he went through the portal, the pod froze him and unfroze him at the other side. He stated that the area he was in was a big giant dome with a force field, and could read out on a stone with a translater that it was a sun 1 million times bigger then our sun which powered up the gate for 75% efficiency only.

They than send teams through the gate and to other universes to find all the gates look different then the gate on earth which they find more and more information in those universes about.

The whole serie is about finding out what the last universe location is supposed to be, meeting weird alien worlds completely out of bounds and out of our reality scope. 4 seasons are spend on it ( different teams not a single one ). the goal of the series is for the viewer after watching all 5 seasons that he really feels like we are still stuck in the stone age and what we know is just incredible limited to the point almost stone age knowledge.

After spending years of searching in all the gates that connect towards those universe gates. They finally find a way to connect to the last universe at the top.

They dail in the stargate which takes over a year to even do and it becomes a glowing light bulb with all kinds of colors, all kind of things start to happen on the gate and a pitch black glow comes out of the portal with every color in the universe and beyond that we can't even perceive. All lights start to glow up on all the universes on the dot map all the gates activate drain from there suns and send it to the main earth portal.

The earth portal starts to become pure light and split up into 5 portals that line up next towards each other and basically form a circle around a object that starts to form in the middle, they soon realize its a black hole ( mini black hole ) that channels energy straight out of it and feeds it into the 5 surrounding gates and the black hole rips apart. The gates start to go in flux and out of flux with our reality time and universe, people at the other gates see it appear an dissapear all over planets and places but it ends up forming into a massive pillar of light with a hole in the middle, the pillar starts to put a count down forwards of departure with the same numbers on the pods that all light up before the pillar that is pure light that fluxuates constantly.

They create a team, and 5 people go into the pods.

Once they do so, at the final countdown, the pillar shines a bright light and the pods are gone and the gate is back with more text on it being damaged ( which means they are not the first to travel there as it was already damaged when they saw it.

While they glide through a spectacle of colors, the 5 people see on there pods a new countdown with 5 years on it, it freezes them and they wake up at the other side with the countdown being at 0. they realized they spend 5 years in the gate to travel to that universe.

They find out they are on a planet a small one with no stars, a force field surrounding it and a wild life on it, with lots of alien machines and other stuff. They soon realize they are on a planet sized space ship as big as the moon. and that it was programmed to arrive at some place. That places would take billions of years to travel towards. they call it origin past space and time or something mysterious.

They realize they can't dail back or they can't dail at all. the pods are broken as they break down in there basic elements a few hours later. They see a massive countdown timer with the date of arrival and that's funny enough 30 days from now. They see all kinds of weird things like a planet appear and dissapear, nothing makes sense.

They spend a season on this world figuring shit out ( pulling a lost basically ) and then the final is when they arrive at there location.

I like it.

I would also reboot Stargate Universe, but it should have the same feel as SG1 and Atlantis. Not this dark and gritty drama nonsense they tried with Universe. I would also increase the mystery factor.

Requirement: I'm allowed to ignore the Netflix diversity checklist!

Last edited:

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Make a reality TV/Zoom interview show

keep the profit.

otherwise produce something like Line of Duty/the wire/sopranos

buy some rights to NJPW stream some shows.

Last edited:

Hulk_Smash

Banned
I would do an animated adaptation of the original Choose Your Own Adventure novels and do it like those interactive shows they’ve done in the past.

Some of the concepts in those books were pretty unique. And since there’s like hundreds of them I would just start on the first ones that RA Montgomery and Edward Packard wrote. And do it in the style of Jay Leibold’s interior art.

Or I’d adapt RoberAspin’s Myth series. Live-action.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
12 v 12 Paintball League where players are mic'd up and each "match" has the potential to last for 7 days. Courses would be massive and filled with secondary objectives.

99Luffy

Banned
Love Sex and Robots makes me think anthology series need to make a big return. So here's 2 things we need.

1. Remember Masters of Horror or Tales from the Crypt keeper? I would bring back either and have a big focus on Junji Ito, Scary stories to tell in the dark, and other world folk tales. LIVE ACTION
xIWIhqO.png
8bSybeh.png

2. Heavy Metal - anthology series with a focus on sci fi fantasy. Pretty much continuing the level of quality as the old movie, but in a series.
L53xBQW.png

Last edited:

Javthusiast

Banned
Since Berserk was already mentioned.

5-10 seasons of my favourite hentais mangas, anthology style with anime movie like quality animation per episode.

Miss me with that lame toned down Love, Death and Robots season 2. I'll give you some real good shit. xD

Monokrom

I would make a series based on Kult the rpg.
51bcawPFkKL.jpg

Kult is a contemporary horror role-playing game which explores the dark side of the human soul. Reality is not what we think. Around us the world is dark and dangerous and nothing is what it seems to be. Our reality is an illusion, created to keep us captive. We are imprisoned since ages past by a dictatorial creator. The true world, invisible to us, is ruled by creatures who dominate behind the false facades, our prison wardens and torturers. The characters in 'Kult' are dark heroes, governed by Destiny. When the illusions shatter, they face the true reality.

torbjorn-toby-jorgensen-kult-18.jpg

torbjorn-toby-jorgensen-kult-12.jpg

Monster live action or The Count of Monte Cristo.

great choice! especially Count of Monte Cristo. I have never seen an adaptation that I like, outside of the anime (which has it's own issues, but at least it's one of the best one out there). would love to see one that can really live up to the book. and Monster is a great idea too. it won't require too much SFX and stuff and the budget can go to hiring really good actors and location (and into my pocket too).

and as someone mentioned, a proper Berserk anime. especially since Miura had just passed away, this would be the best send off for him. make the whole thing from start and don't skip anything, and that includes the Lost Children arc of course. and it shouldn't be too hard to surpass whatever the hell we got in 2016/19 at the very least.

Top Bottom