• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix' Documentary MH370: A Plane That Disappeared is pure trash

With all due respect to you 3:

the wolf of wall street idgaf GIF

Are you impacted personally by the crash? Maybe I'm weird/old/both - for me this was 5 minute news that was somehow stretched into years by the media. All in line with getting people "engaged".

Oh I dont know, because I was a flight attendant for 7 years and was working in an airline when this happened. Because I am a fan of aviation and currently going to flight school for a commercial pilot? You know what I dont give a shit about....Israel-Gaza or Russia - Ukraine because that has nothing to do with me. Aviation does. And because its a mystery how such a huge piece of metal can just dissapear with all the tech we had even back then. They can find the exact phisical location of a person illegaly scamming someone online on the other side of the world yet 1000 times bigger object and with both military and civil satellites, it just vanished.

Last edited:
So in all likelihood he depressurized the cabin and flew around with 200 dead people for six hours dodging radars just to find a good ditching spot? I would love to hear a professional take on the psychology surrounding that.

And why the hell do pilots have controls to disable transponders and cabin pressure in the first place?

The cabin preasure makes sense. Its part of their checklist before takeoff to make sure the cabin is pressurized. And if there is also sudden loss of fuselage they manage al the pressure in emergencies as well. Like I said in a few posts above, they dont have access to ALL the transponders. Some are automatic and need to be manually turned off which is impossible and which makes it even more weird how we never got a hint where it is even after it crashed.

As far as suicide, I donno...thats way too many hours and way to many hoops to jump over just to commit suicide. If its some extra conspiracy that someone was waiting for them in the ocean...the percentage of succesfull ditching is like 5%. If i heard we are going to be prepparing for ditching, I would already say my goodbyes, we aint getting out of that one.

As far as suicide, I donno...thats way too many hours and way to many hoops to jump over just to commit suicide. If its some extra conspiracy that someone was waiting for them in the ocean...the percentage of succesfull ditching is like 5%. If i heard we are going to be prepparing for ditching, I would already say my goodbyes, we aint getting out of that one.
The only reason I can think of is wanting to secure a life insurance payout by crashing in an area where nobody would ever find the black box.

For me honestly, I cant really wrap my head around a suicide attempt because it is way too intricate and with many deviations to look like someone just wanted to off themself. There was that case Air Berlin if Im not mistaken, when the FO locked himself inside the cockpit while the CA went out for a piss. Thats suicide, all you have to do is turn off the autopilot, push down on the yoke and down you go. To me at least it just doesnt add up what kind of suicide plan was this, all the secrecy if that was your main goal. If its suicide, it is the longest and most planned suicide attempt ever and most people dont do that, they just go for it because mentally if its taking too long you would be rethinking your choices way too many times before the last moment.

1) Transponder turns off at crucial point between two air spaces (waypoint IGARI). Agreed by aviation experts this was a perfect spot to make the plane vanish from radar.
2) MH370 takes a hard left and flies right on the border of Malaysia and Thailand. Perfect tactic to confuse air traffic controllers of both countries as the plane dips in and out of each respective air space.
3) The plane is tracked by Malaysian military but there's a serious disconnect between the military and civil aviation that the pilot likely gambled on the fact that the military won't persue a foreign aircraft being picked up on radar.
4) The plane makes a turn at Penang which just so happens to the hometown of the pilot.
5) Evidence points to the plane being glided into the ocean by way of analysis of the flaperon found on Reunion Island
6) The flaperon was extended before impact. Evidence there was someone behind the controls.
7) Plane was ditched in the most remote part of Southern Indian ocean free of any shipping lanes
8) Then there's the flight simulator stuff they found at the home of the pilot

Australia ex-prime minister Tony Abbott said it was understood in the highest level of the Malaysian government that this was an act of mass murder suicide by the pilot. This was just a few weeks after the plane's disappearance.

I mean there's more pointing towards someone being in control of the plane. It takes an experienced pilot to pull of a stunt like this. If you wanted to commit mass murder suicide and hide the evidence this is what you'd be doing. We likely won't have a motive but plane's don't make course corrections and fly themselves for 7 hours.

Chris Watts was a family man and had no prior history of violence or disorderly conduct but then goes and kills his wife and kids and dumps their bodies in oil tanks.

Last edited:

chonga

The documentaries are trash in general because almost nothing new happened in the last 10 years so they are just spit shining what was once said. I mean in every story there will be consiracies. BTW another YT channel that I highly respect is this guy (Mentour Pilot). He is a captain on the 737, makes very deep insightful videos on aviation and stepped up his visual game too, now probably one of the best aviation channels out there. He just relesed this video a few hours ago:

As far as my two cents, as someone that was a flight attendant on Emirates for 7 years, no matter what is being said about how someone turned off the responder/radar etc so they cant be traced, there are TWO ADT R406 on board the aircraft, one in the front and one in the back. Long story short its a transmitter that automatically turns on in case of emergency like high g-forces impact or water submertion. I know this as an FA because every day we had to check that we are fit to fly so we had to double check the indicators every time before each take-off. So how does a plane dissapear with two transmitter devices on board that are not controlled by the pilot?

Yes, you can turn them off manually but its not something you can do in secret, everyone would see you and especially a pilot, even if he is the captain will never be seen tempering with safety equipment outside his cockpit. Plus there is also a double check by the purser if the R406 is operational. So when they say that they are blaming the pilot....trust me, he himself could not do this unless the WHOLE cabin crew was in on it which sounds ridiculous.

Those are not used for water submersion. You are not going to be successfully transmitting a signal at that frequency from the bottom of the ocean floor. They will trigger because it is a high-g impact like you say, yes, but they are not for the purpose of underwater search and rescue.

That's why underwater locator beacons exist on the flight data recorder as that can transmit through water through much greater distances. But it isn't infinite so you still need to know roughly where to look.

1) Transponder turns off at crucial point between two air spaces (waypoint IGARI). Agreed by aviation experts this was a perfect spot to make the plane vanish from radar.
2) MH370 takes a hard left and flies right on the border of Malaysia and Thailand. Perfect tactic to confuse air traffic controllers of both countries as the plane dips in and out of each respective air space.
3) The plane is tracked by Malaysian military but there's a serious disconnect between the military and civil aviation that the pilot likely gambled on the fact that the military won't persue a foreign aircraft being picked up on radar.
4) The plane makes a turn at Penang which just so happens to the hometown of the pilot.
5) Evidence points to the plane being glided into the ocean by way of analysis of the flaperon found on Reunion Island
6) The flaperon was extended before impact. Evidence there was someone behind the controls.
7) Plane was ditched in the most remote part of Southern Indian ocean free of any shipping lanes
8) Then there's the flight simulator stuff they found at the home of the pilot

Australia ex-prime minister Tony Abbott said it was understood in the highest level of the Malaysian government that this was an act of mass murder suicide by the pilot. This was just a few weeks after the plane's disappearance.

I mean there's more pointing towards someone being in control of the plane. It takes an experienced pilot to pull of a stunt like this. If you wanted to commit mass murder suicide and hide the evidence this is what you'd be doing. We likely won't have a motive but plane's don't make course corrections and fly themselves for 7 hours.

Chris Watts was a family man and had no prior history of violence or disorderly conduct but then goes and kills his wife and kids and dumps their bodies in oil tanks.

Oh Im sure it was flown by an experienced pilot for 7 hours to try and avoid detection but all that just to commit suicide, doesnt make sense to me. Theres way easier ways to commit a suicide while flying an aircraft and much faster. Im more thinking along the lines of hijacking for a purpose but their aircraft ran out of fuel (like Ethiopian airlines), maybe there was a fight in the cockpit before the final plundge, supposedly there were some politicians on that plane too. As I said above, there have been cases of rogue pilots with mental issues that just bombdived the aircraft and thats it, game over. This much planing and effort just to get life insurance, its a weird way of saying "i love you wife and kids".

Also, statistically people that commit suicide are selfish, they dont really consider others feelings. For example blowing your brains out in your bedroom while the wife is picking up the kids. Its a gruesome image of a loved one to find you in that state. Go into the wods and off yourself there. Thats why this case is so talked about because no matter how much investigation they do on the crew, nothing adds up 100%, theres always a BUT.

As far as blackbox, its lifespan is 6 years so we are way past the battery capabilities. But once there is a high g-force crash, it will start emiting which then only gives it a 30 day lifespan. Safe to say we will never know what was being said in that cockpit.

Last edited:
Top Bottom