• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix Announces 4 New Dave Chappelle Comedy Specials

belmarduk

Dave Chappelle is still very much on Netflix’s home team.

The streamer announced Friday the release of four upcoming comedy specials executive produced and hosted by the controversial comic.

The series of specials is dubbed Chappelle’s Home Team, and each will feature a different comic introduced by Chappelle.

The first to be featured is Earthquake (real name Nathaniel Martin Stroman), and his special, called Earthquake: Legendary, premieres on Feb. 28. Another special will spotlight Donnell Rawlings. One similarity shared by all the featured comics is they’ve been in the stand-up game for at least 30 years.

“I’ve been doing this a long time and comedians like Quake and Donnell are not only friends but have inspired my own career,” Chappelle said. “Anyone in the comedy community knows these names and knows their time to shine is long overdue. I am proud to be a part of this moment.”

Hollywood Reporter

I guess you just can't stop the GOAT, try as you might.

3503eceb184b692d48a749aa261e95e6.gif

EruditeHobo

Was really shocked by Patton's response the first time around... figured if anyone would understand that moment and not react that way, it would be a smart comic like him.

That apology is weird too, but better than no apology I guess. And knowing what it's like to watch friends lose their minds and have to cut them out of my life, I do sympathize. But to extend that category of insanity to include a professional comic doing some social commentary will always strike me as very odd.

Last edited:

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Damn, really? I heard they'd lost money on the second and third specials in the last cycle, and that the third one wasn't that funny. The gossip must not have been accurate.

I saw Earthquake live in Atlantic City kinda by chance, and man that guy killed it
He had a special on Starz or HBO, but it was when the Comedy Central specials were big. I think he'd be a much bigger star if he'd gotten on CC at that time instead of a premium movie channel.

VN1X

Banned
Was really shocked by Patton's response the first time around... figured if anyone would understand that moment and not react that way, it would be a smart comic like him.

That apology is weird too, but better than no apology I guess. And knowing what it's like to watch friends lose their minds and have to cut them out of my life, I do sympathize. But to extend that category of insanity to include a professional comic doing some social commentary will always strike me as very odd.
Patton is a spineless tool.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I would have expected Netflix to cancel him. Must have been a hard decision for them, transgender vs black.
Also money money money 💰.

The reason companies are going along with this in and out of the workplace is mainly that they think it will make them more money and increase productivity. Not the only thing, but it is the biggest thing (also gives more easy to use leverage to divide and conquer the workforce).

Last edited:

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
Also money money money 💰.

The reason companies are going along with this in and out of the workplace is mainly that they think will make them more money and will increase productivity. Not the only thing, but it is the biggest thing (also gives more easy to use leverage to divide and conquer the workforce).

Maybe, I think if Chapelle was white he would be off Netflix already. I think a lot of American corporations these days choose woke over more money even.

bitbydeath

Maybe, I think if Chapelle was white he would be off Netflix already. I think a lot of American corporations these days choose woke over more money even.
Netflix don’t care, if you look at the woke stuff you’ll likely see it’s produced elsewhere. They’re not all in like HBO.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I still think it is because ultimately they think that they will profit from it. They are not charities.

Money is not just external sources, if they fear bad press and employees and talent walk out they would also back down. I am not disagreeing with you on the overall picture, just thinking about why it would matter.

Last edited:

Tams

Gold Member
Not my type of comedy, but I'm glad that he's getting his own back for what he's been put through.

For those who don't have time to watch the full 10-ish minute video, the main message is, "Dave Chappelle stood up for comedy, when it was needed the most."

Rollercoaster of thoughts when I read the OP:
- "Four more specials produced by Chappelle" Happiness
- "Hosted by Chappelle, featuring comedians..." Oh oh, doesn't sound good
- "... like Earthquake and Donnell Rawlings" YESSSSSSSS!!!

That apology is weird too, but better than no apology I guess.
No, just... No. The best thing, in these kinds of situations, is to simple not apologize, because the person apologizing then ends up in the worst situation possible: not respected by the original people for not standing up to his ideals/beliefs, and not respected by the mob because of "insufficient action." (Do notice that in these situations, an initial apology is somehow never enough for the mob.)

And knowing what it's like to watch friends lose their minds and have to cut them out of my life, I do sympathize.
This part is confusing. It implies you sympathize with Oswalt because somehow Chappelle is losing his mind. To me, it seems the other way around: Chappelle is the sane one here, and Oswalt is the one losing his mind.

With friends like Oswalt, who needs enemies!?

My principle is that if you have someone you truly call a friend, you stick by them. (Within reason -- if they purposely break an actual law and hurt someone, then you have to smack some fucking sense into your friend.) I'm religiously agnostic/atheist myself, but one of my friends is a hardcore born-again Christian, but the guy is like a fucking brother to me. I'm politically right of center, one of my friends is VERY liberal (at times even falling into "SJW" territory), but guess what, he's my fucking friend, and even if we disagree on politics we stick by each other. Because that's what friends do.

EruditeHobo

No, just... No. The best thing, in these kinds of situations, is to simple not apologize, because the person apologizing then ends up in the worst situation possible: not respected by the original people for not standing up to his ideals/beliefs, and not respected by the mob because of "insufficient action." (Do notice that in these situations, an initial apology is somehow never enough for the mob.)

Well I don't really care about "the mob"... I care about when people recognize they've gone too far and are willing to say, in some small part at least, they were wrong. I think he's done that here. So I prefer the apology.

This part is confusing. It implies you sympathize with Oswalt because somehow Chappelle is losing his mind. To me, it seems the other way around: Chappelle is the sane one here, and Oswalt is the one losing his mind.

I'm talking about people who have lost their minds, that I know personally... and I'm just saying from a certain point of view it can be hard, sometimes, to maintain perspective on what a relationship is worth when that initial impulse of "oh, they're lost" hits you. Sometimes a person can realize you overreacted in some way, like perhaps Patton did here! And that's good, because people make mistakes and overreact and he clearly came back from it. But other times, it's not an overreaction to cut a toxic/negative person out of your life.

Patton went too hard here IMO, and he seems to recognize that (taking him at his word). So I don't know why anyone should consider that a bad thing. People make mistakes, people overreact. We're all just human.

Well I don't really care about "the mob"...
That's nice you don't care. At a personal level I don't care, either, but it's a real phenomenon with real consequences (people losing their livelihoods over some perceived "slight" that gets taken to a court of public opinion). So at a societal level we should all care.

I care about when people recognize they've gone too far and are willing to say, in some small part at least, they were wrong. I think he's done that here. So I prefer the apology.
You're still failing to explain who is wrong and in what context. Who's in the wrong here? Chappelle? Oswalt?

Boss Mog

Hope they're ready to write up their apologies for associating with Dave

osvONCW.jpg
Imagine being that much of a pussy. A real man would just say "I'm not apologizing for posting a pic with Dave, he's been my friend for 34 years. If you don't like his act then don't watch it and if you have a problem with what I post to my instagram then feel free to not look at it.".

Hope they're ready to write up their apologies for associating with Dave

osvONCW.jpg
I've got a friend of mine who's a bit of a fuck-up. Myself, and the rest of our friends are allowed to mock him mercilessly, but God help anybody else who wants to fuck with him.

Chapelle, on the other hand, is at the top of the goddamned mountain, and this little fucking weasel has the nerve to to post that after claiming to be a friend.

Hollywood is a cesspit of broken, and dysfunctional human beings.

Cleared_Hot

Dave Chappelle is still very much on Netflix’s home team.

The streamer announced Friday the release of four upcoming comedy specials executive produced and hosted by the controversial comic.

The series of specials is dubbed Chappelle’s Home Team, and each will feature a different comic introduced by Chappelle.

The first to be featured is Earthquake (real name Nathaniel Martin Stroman), and his special, called Earthquake: Legendary, premieres on Feb. 28. Another special will spotlight Donnell Rawlings. One similarity shared by all the featured comics is they’ve been in the stand-up game for at least 30 years.

“I’ve been doing this a long time and comedians like Quake and Donnell are not only friends but have inspired my own career,” Chappelle said. “Anyone in the comedy community knows these names and knows their time to shine is long overdue. I am proud to be a part of this moment.”

Hollywood Reporter

I guess you just can't stop the GOAT, try as you might.
Donnel Rawlings has been a long time coming. He had me in absolute tears in less than 15 minutes when I saw him live opening for Rogan & Chappelle at the Tacoma Dome.

Top Bottom