• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NES vs. SNES

The best of the SNES library is easily better than the best of the NES library so I'd go with SNES.

I would choose NES over SNES if I had to choose a console for "video game roulette" though because there is something about the simplicity of the controls and game mechanics that make even some of the worst NES games somewhat tolerable. Same applies to the music.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I know which one I'm playing.

game-10.jpg
SNES-Street_Fighter_II.gif

Sushen

Nothing comes near SNES for me. The title music of Super Mario World/Link to the Past/Final Fantasy 4 still make me emotional.

I'm just in paradise with all these memories.

Ataraxia

SNES.

I was the most popular kid in my neighborhood for awhile because my parents allowed me to get Mortal Kombat II.

KingDankKush

Neo Member
SNES

Donkey Kong Country Trilogy

Final Fantasy IV

Final Fantasy VI

Super Mario RPG

Chrono Trigger

Mario All Stars

Mario World

Yoshi's Island

Mario Kart

For me this is where video games began to come into something beyond a children's toy.

This. As well as Ninja Turtles IV: Turtles in Time.

Old Retro

NES brought arcade games home when we so desperately needed it in the mid 80s. It was like a city winning a sports championship after a long drought. With 3rd party companies like Data East, Capcom, Taito, it gave gamers what we wanted. SNES was like a second championship, but the first will always be our favorite.

cireza

The best of the SNES library is easily better than the best of the NES library so I'd go with SNES.

I would choose NES over SNES if I had to choose a console for "video game roulette" though because there is something about the simplicity of the controls and game mechanics that make even some of the worst NES games somewhat tolerable. Same applies to the music.

From what I am hearing, it seems that this is using an enhancement chip for audio.

GametimeUK

Nes was great for what it was, but the SNES was amazing to the point where games are still drawing HEAVY inspiration from it for their indie games. So many Indies have that SNES feel and I'm not just talking the graphics either.

NES was way better than the snes. It's a classic and has 10x the games. Whole series that snes maybe had 1 or 2 if lucky. Both were great and go along with the PS1/PS2 as best consoles of all time, imo. NES though got the industry out of the crash. It was also the start of so many franchises.

The SNES is far superior. I like both, but the 16 bit era holds up much better than 8 bit. SNES’s best are better than NES’s bests. They both had some trash games too, but the NES library is has a larger quantity of significantly worse garbage on it too.

Soodanim

Gold Member
I respect what the NES did (what SMB did), but it doesn’t mean I want to play it over the SNES. Super Mario World alone is preferable to the vast majority of the NES library.

Enzo88

Nes had arguably more revolutionary games. Snes has the best games and line-up overall.
On top of that, most Snes games hold up perfectly.
Snes wins.

Last edited:
Top Bottom