• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF's Essential Fighting Games - 2016 Edition [Results]

cordy

Banned
TTT2 (Tekken in general) is getting the respect is deserves. Glad to see it that high on the list. Had fun participating in the voting too. It was one of those threads where you really look back at some of your favorites and think "I forgot this game was this amazing."

Azuardo

Shame so many people miss the voting on these things. I feel like these kinds of topics should be stickied while the voting is going on.

leroidys

Shame so many people miss the voting on these things. I feel like these kinds of topics should be stickied while the voting is going on.
I actually didn't vote because I'm so sick of FGC bros telling me what a scrub I am for liking Third Strike and Smash Bros.

Had fun reading peoples' lists though.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
I actually didn't vote because I'm so sick of FGC bros telling me what a scrub I am for liking Third Strike and Smash Bros.

Had fun reading peoples' lists though.
stop giving a shit about what other people think about the things you like.

cj_iwakura

This is descending order.

J4Wfwxt.gif

(fixed)

Azuardo

cj - Not sure if you missed it earlier, but Soul Calibur 1 is listed twice in the results, with 7 and 3 separately.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
The original Marvel VS Capcom is a lot better than 3-4 games in the top ten.

Be ready for the next battle.

I always am :)

CJ, thanks a lot for the work you put into this. Really appreciate it.

Also, thanks for quoting me on Third Strike, even if my quote doesn't support it being a #1 pick, LOL. I think I meant "Second Impact" instead of "Double Impact", but whatever :p

Boo @ 3S winning.

Pretty much.

Specially with all the work that CJ put into this, these are some of my beefs:

- All Street Fighter II entries being grouped together... I don't know how I feel about that. Hyper Fighting is a very different game from Super Turbo.

- Participation was low. I wonder what we can do in the 2017 edition of this thread to encourage more participation.

- SoulCalibur (1) not placing in the top 10 is pretty bogus. It's probably the best fighting game ever made.

- Third Strike winning shows that GAF (well, at least the subset of GAF that participated in this) has no clue what it's talking about when it comes to fighting games. There's at least one game in each of the other Street Fighter series -- Super Turbo, Zero 2, Super Street Fighter IV, and Street Fighter V -- that are better fighting games than Third Strike. The game has its merits, of course, but its core mechanic and its serious balance issues are glaring flaws that can't be ignored.

Don't read too much into my tone. I still want to congratulate all of the winners... Yes, even Third Strike :p

wildfire

Banned
Considering the sales it's odd sfv best iv in ranking.

Other than that I'm not too surprised by the results but i feel for essential games a little more variety is warranted. Sf Alpha feels superfluous.

Neoxon

Considering the sales it's odd sfv best iv in ranking.

Other than that I'm not too surprised by the results but i feel for essential games a little more variety is warranted. Sf Alpha feels superfluous.
How so, the current lack of content?

As for other fighting games on the list, I'm glad that Guilty Gear Xrd is as well-loved as it is here on GAF.

cj_iwakura

Thanks to NEO0MJ, go enjoy a larger Top 11 list!

They deserved the love, too.

I just saw Budokai Tenkaichi 3 which is completely different than Budokai 3. May of been a simple mixup thats all.

Budokai Tenkaichi 3

Budokai 3

Apologies, I really didn't know the difference and grouped them together.

- All Street Fighter II entries being grouped together... I don't know how I feel about that. Hyper Fighting is a very different game from Super Turbo.

Too much of a headache to separate them, really, and too few people were specific apart from 'SF2', so I figured it best to give it vague love.

Top Bottom