• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Voted: Most Anticipated Games of 2016

Kuni

Wow I got quoted again for the second year in a row. And for a game I've been waiting a very long time for no less. You humble me Shinobi. Many thanks!

Raw64life

35. Dragon Quest VII 3DS
4. Legend of Zelda Wii U
5. Dark Souls III
7. The Last Guardian
8. Final Fantasy XV
23. Ratchet & Clank
116. Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam
79. Dragon Quest VIII 3DS
3. Horizon: Zero Dawn
32. Doom

Half my top 10 is in the GAF top 10, although I wouldn't be surprised to see TLG or HZD get delayed.

reKon

Banned
I thought about it and it makes sense why GeoW 4 isn't higher.

We haven't seen shit about the game yet so it's kind of hard to be that hyped when it's now a different developer than before and the last game in series was disappointing. I know we're going to get an information overload about the game soon and it's about time.

Portugeezer

from the E3 trailer:

holiday2016.png

Oh, good. Maybe it will make it then.

Did the same exact team that made Skyward Sword make A Link between Worlds? Because the latter was fucking phenomenal. We are in for something insane if they can make something as good (hopefully better!) than that game. I was never clamoring for a 'true' open world zelda game though.

NSESN

Did the same exact team that made Skyward Sword make A Link between Worlds? Because the latter was fucking phenomenal. We are in for something insane if they can make something as good (hopefully better!) than that game. I was never clamoring for a 'true' open world zelda game though.

I think all main zelda games are made by the same team.

I guess they are really nervous about meeting expectations for their first new IP in many years?

yeah, duh

it's not just their new ip, it's their newest franchise, obviously guerilla and sony want it's debut to be successful for that to happen
i mean it's not like their oblivious to what people criticize of them, i mean they obviously read stuff like neogaf. they hired an rpg writer and some devs who worked on the witcha 3, a "critically acclaimed" rpg, and sony is pumping a lot of money into it, those are usually good signs if anything for the product

that isn't to say that the game couldn't be a stinker

personally i'd rather judge a game by it's footage rather than a developer's track record, and from what they debuted with, it looked great; a lot of people seem to agree with that

developers aren't always defined by their past creations, it's just very convenient to view them as such, and well most of them are
double helix rebooted killer instinct pretty well, and they were apparently not that great before that
naughty dog use to make only platformers for a long while, now they are "critically acclaimed" cinematic story-telling tps developers
platinum makes high octane, stylized action games, they're now making a photorealistic, graphically pretty and "accessible" action rpg
guerilla use to make linear pretty looking, weighty sci-fi fps, now they're making horizon

but being cautious is good too, i mean mgsv looked great for the most part before shipping, the previews were pretty praising; but [personally] the game was just good mechanics and shitty everything else (wasn't even a complete game, pft).

i mean most people think kojima's a good video game director/creator, right?
b-b-b-but, konami; yeah, well, you can't really judge what ifs, can you? you can only really judge what is there
but yeah i just kinda ranted, most of this isn't really direct towards you

I just hope GG focus primarily on the combat before everything else, and then tailor the narrative and open world design around it. I haven't played DD:A, but the gameplay looks top notch. I hope they take inspirations from the right games.

My fear is that it turns out like a Ubi #26 open world game.

If there's one thing they're going to nail, it'll be the combat. The controls, shooting and feel their last few games is excellent, even if KZ2 is not to everyone's taste. Shadow Fall was superb in this regard, and a lot more distinct and memorable than Battlefield and COD. It's the level design I'm most concerned about, as that was Shadow Fall's greatest failing.

StNd

Didn't vote, but thank you for this hard work!

Man, 2016 is MASSIVE! I sure hope my wallet can take the hit(s)...

23. Ratchet and Clank
7. The Last Guardian
1. Uncharted 4
2. Persona 5
39. South Park: The Fractured but Whole
10. No Man's Sky
8. Final Fantasy XV
13. The Division
25. Overwatch

Not too bad 6 out of my top 10 were in the top 10 for gaf too.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Good list. Let's compare it to mine

1. Hyper Light Drifter (51)
2. Zelda WiiU (4)
3. Uncharted 4 (1)
4. Horizon: Zero Dawn (3)
5. Dark Souls 3 (5)
6. Dishonored 2 (22)
6. Ni-Oh (24)
7. Yooka-Laylee (29)
8. Mirror's Edge: Catalyst (14)
9. Gravity Rush Remastered (73)
10. Unravel (65)

Big difference is that I'm insanely hyped for Hyper Light Drifter

PillarEN

It's all cool. I've never heard of Zero Time Dilemma though.

Compared to mine:

1. Persona 5 (2)
2. Mirror's Edge Catalyst (14)
3. Zelda Wii U (4)
4. Nier: Automata (12)
5.Star Fox Zero (31)
6. Street Fighter V (11)
7. Dishonored 2 (22)
8. Doom (32)
9. Gears of War 4 (26)
10 Shin Megami Tensei x Fire Emblem (41)

I had Last Guardian as an honorable because I don't know if it's realistically 2016.

GooWop

I'm soo excited for this year in games, I'm getting giddy just thinking about it. That top 10 is ridiculous but it doesn't stop there!

I haven't been able excited for this many games in soo long. Games that I will actually play to completion lol.

SFV starts it all off imo, with a boom

MODEYV3

Banned
So many potentially great games, I'm gonna buy pretty much most of the games on the list, excluding Wii U games, still excited for Zelda though.

1. Uncharted 4 (1)
2. No Mans Sky (10)
3. Ratchet and Clank (23)
4. The Last Guardian (7)
5. Final Fantasy XV (8)
6. Horizon: Zero Dawn (3)
7. Mirror's Edge (14)
8. Dark Souls 3 (5)
9. Mass Effect: Andromeda (6)
10. Ni-Oh (24)

If there's one thing they're going to nail, it'll be the combat. The controls, shooting and feel their last few games is excellent, even if KZ2 is not to everyone's taste. Shadow Fall was superb in this regard, and a lot more distinct and memorable than Battlefield and COD. It's the level design I'm most concerned about, as that was Shadow Fall's greatest failing.
Nah, the terrible characters and story were its greatest failings. Atmosphere, graphics, music and gunplay were on point though. Not to mention they've utilized the touchpad better than anyone else.

Nice work, Shinobi.

1. The Legend of Zelda Wii U (4)
2. Hitman (36)
3. The Last Guardian (7)
4. Deus Ex: Mankind Divided (9)
5. The Witness (30)
6. Uncharted 4: A Thief's End (1)
7. Firewatch (20)
8. Cuphead (43)
9. Dark Souls III (5)
10. Mirror's Edge: Catalyst (14)

Not bad.

Horizon is probably one of my 10 most wanted games, but I don't feel sure enough about it coming out this year. It'd be awesome if it does, but I'm personally not expecting it to.

4. Zelda
5. Dark Souls III
1. Uncharted
3. Horizon Zero Dawn
6. Mass Effect: Andromeda
16. Fire Emblem Fates
32. Doom
84. Below (yeesh!)
72. Day of the Tentacle Remastered
43. Cuphead
31. Star Fox Zero
26. Gears of War 4

Dat list! 260 Games!? Holy carp! Good work and thanks Shinobi!

Melchiah

The amount of excitement for Mass Effect is truly puzzling.

1. We've seen nothing on the game.
2. It's being developed by a completely different team, largely staffed by the Army of Two team.
3. Mass Effect 3 was such a colossal goat fuck that you'd think it would've soured people on the franchise.

I guess it's true, stick a known brand name on something and people will go for it no matter what.

That's entirely subjective. The story wasn't that great, but the gameplay was. Not to mention the fun and addictive multiplayer.

People tend to get excited about sequels to their beloved games. News at eleven.

iSnakeTk

Should be put to work in a coal mine.
1. Uncharted 4: (1)
2. Persona 5: (2)
3. Final Fantasy 15: (8)

4. Mass Effect Andromeda:(6)
5. Firewatch: (20)
6. Horizon Zero Dawn: (3)

7. The Last Guardian : (7)
8. Deus Ex Mankind Divided: (9)
9. Gran Turismo Sports : (38)
10. Street Fighter 5 (11)

7 in the Top Ten. Man this year is going to be amazing,

Calabria

Banned
my most anticipated 2016

1. Dark Souls 3
2. Ni-Oh
3. Nier Automata
4. Horizon: ZD
5. Final Fantasy XV
6. Uncharted 4
7. Persona 5
8. Toukiden 2
9. Rime
10. Tomorrow Children

Vuapol

39. South Park: The Fractured but Whole
1. Uncharted 4
8. Final Fantasy XV
66. Pokken Tournament
43. Cuphead
23. Ratchet & Clank
4. The Legend of Zelda
24. Ni-Oh
2. Persona 5

Well, I'm all over the place, haha. And to think there's probably still quite a few announce-at-E3-release-in-the-Fall megatons yet to drop. This is gonna be a good year.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Don't know how Horizon: Zero Dawn is being that anticipated. Action RPG with no melee combat...bleurgh
I don't consider basic, contextual punch or kick as melee. Now admittedly I don't follow the game's development very tightly, so if there is an actual melee combat system in place, forget what I said.
1) You don't know that
2) Even if it doesn't... yeah, action RPGs without (proper) melee combat inherently suck right? Deus Ex and Borderlands are awful games, it is known.
/s
3) You really want to stab those giant mecha dinosaurs? Seems it'd make more sense to use traps to stun them and then take them down with exploding arrows, but YMMV.

post-S

I'm surprised a game from a developer that has never made anything great is at #3

Their art design is god-level as always, and the gameplay video looks pretty good too (not sure about close range combat part tho)

Also Killzone 2 is arguably the best FPS on PS3
then for some reason Killzone 3 went to shit

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I'm soo excited for this year in games, I'm getting giddy just thinking about it. That top 10 is ridiculous but it doesn't stop there!

I haven't been able excited for this many games in soo long. Games that I will actually play to completion lol.

SFV starts it all off imo, with a boom

I gotta play Gravity Rush remastered first. That's the first game besides RE origins that i'm getting in February.

Shit guys...this is actually a really horrible situation.

THERE ARE TOO MANY GAMES!

Too many for me to buy....how can i afford all these titles!?

Its gonna be horrible because i won't have contributed to even half of the developers i feel should get a sale, there's just too much content coming for one year to hold.

All of these games cant be released at once, they are all gonna get eaten by each other!

Top Bottom