• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Voted: Most Anticipated Games of 2016

If I'm not mistaken, Cosmic Star Heroine is the second highest ranked JRPG (or JRPG-esque if you want to be pedantic) on the list that's an original title and not a sequel or otherwise attached to an existing franchise or franchises. The other one being Project Setsuna at #64.

Also, wow at Tales of Berseria way down at the bottom of the list at #261 of only 270 entries. Fits my theory that even though a lot of people play Tales games, diehard fans of the series are rare.

Ray Down

Banned
If I'm not mistaken, Cosmic Star Heroine is the second highest ranked JRPG (or JRPG-esque if you want to be pedantic) on the list that's an original title and not a sequel or otherwise attached to an existing franchise or franchises. The other one being Project Setsuna at #64.

Also, wow at Tales of Berseria way down at the bottom of the list at #261 of only 270 entries. Fits my theory that even though a lot of people play Tales games, diehard fans of the series are rare.

It also doesn't help Zestria was mostly meet with a meh reception.

It also doesn't help Zestria was mostly meet with a meh reception.

I don't think its reception was any worse than the typical Tales game reception. It has a 91% user rating on Steam. Metacritic score is in the 70s, but I believe every Tales game released in the past decade has a Metacritic score in the 70s or lower.

Seriously. No one gives a shit about a track record. The game looked good at E3 and it doesn't have to go deeper than that.

I care about a studio's track record. It's why I'm anticipating Scalebound, despite its gameplay reveal at Gamescom not impressing me.

I've enjoyed most of GG's past output, which is why I'm looking forward to Horizon.

Bluenoser

I'm surprised a game from a developer that has never made anything great is at #3

The gameplay footage they showed obviously impressed a lot of people. What does their past games have to do with anything? Also this is an entirely new direction from KZ series, so even if you aren't a KZ fan (neither am I really) it shouldn't immediately mean you can't look forward to this one.

Ray Down

Banned
I don't think its reception was any worse than the typical Tales game reception. It has a 91% user rating on Steam. Metacritic score is in the 70s, but I believe every Tales game released in the past decade has a Metacritic score in the 70s or lower.

I could also be the release patterns for the games now.

Ever since 2012 we have been getting an English release of a tales game, hell in 2014 we had 3 Tales games released.

Based on what? The game itself, or the release date?

Regarding release date, as of right now, it's due 2016. Not much we can do, but hope it comes out, and deal with it if it gets delayed.

Regarding the game's quality, well, you can say the same thing about any new IP.

Why should anyone be less concerned about games like Scalebound, Quantum Break, and especially Recore?

Kamiya is the best game director alive.

I really like the idea of Horizon and it's great that they've hired individuals from CDPR and Obsidian, but I'm still skeptical. I didn't like any of their previous games much and it's tough to make a great open world game.

I could also be the release patterns for the games now.

Ever since 2012 we have been getting an English release of a tales game, hell in 2014 we had 3 Tales games released.

Yeah, the Tales series went from "Please, please, please localize anything for us!" to major saturation. I think the Atelier series suffers from the same problem - although they're good games, it's hard to get too excited about individual titles when there's generally a new game and a new enhanced portable port every year.

The amount of excitement for Mass Effect is truly puzzling.

1. We've seen nothing on the game.
2. It's being developed by a completely different team, largely staffed by the Army of Two team.
3. Mass Effect 3 was such a colossal goat fuck that you'd think it would've soured people on the franchise.

I guess it's true, stick a known brand name on something and people will go for it no matter what.

I did not know the second part of #2. Uhoh

I'm surprised a game from a developer that has never made anything great is at #3

It's open world, open world games don't need to excel at anything, if the world is pwetty enough. And you betcha Guerilla is going to make the pwettiest open world game ever.

Papacheeks

Banned
Is there any idea of when Nier, or Star ocean are dropping in the states? Star ocean is coming out in February in Japan right?

If so I wonder if it will be as long of a wait like Dragon Quest Heroes? So September October for US release?

Damn my wallet :(

antitrop

First time for everything. =/

KillZone Liberation was pretty good. It's the best KillZone game, but not saying much.

If Horizon actually turns out to be GOTY material, it will have been one of the greatest turnarounds for any developer in gaming history, as I see it.

Seriously. No one gives a shit about a track record. The game looked good at E3 and it doesn't have to go deeper than that.

People buy Platinum games based on track record, or miyamoto as a designer, people avoid ports from high voltage based on track record, or get excited about Nixxes ports, etc

People (should) care at least

BeauRoger

Unconfirmed Member
Suprised that Mass Effect: Andromeda and XCOM 2 didnt finish higher. Considering how central the ME franchise has been in the gaming world during the trilogy run, it is supring to see that a game like Persona 5 is being more anticipated on this forum. Have people soured on the ME franchise that much, or is it simply down to the fact that there hasnt been enough shown of Andromeda to have people hyped?

Endo Punk

The Order made the top 10 twice. Never doubt the power of pretty AAA PS4 exclusives

The Order is actually a masterpiece. You just didn't play it or can't appreciate it's value but will over time.

Alright seriously though(this means the statement above was a joke, hyper fan response one normally sees regarding 1886). Outside of my lack of trust for the developer, they have said everything right regarding the game and showed off gameplay in the reveal. They deserve benefit of the doubt. But saying that it's clear a lot PS enthusiasts, after the bombing of 1886 are latching on to Horizon as the next best PS franchise.

We are going to see a lot of hyperbolic threads this year about Guerilla being the next Bathesda and such.

NIGHT-

The Order is actually a masterpiece. You just didn't play it or can't appreciate it's value but will over time.

Alright seriously though. Outside of my lack of trust for the developer, they have said everything right regarding the game and showed off gameplay in the reveal. They deserve benefit of the doubt. But saying that it's clear a lot PS enthusiasts, after the bombing of 1886 are latching on to Horizon as the next best PS franchise.

I agree that The Order is a graphical masterpiece, nothing else touches it. But what other areas are you talking about? The gameplay was average if not below average. There was potential for something great, but it was too repetitive and too short to feel special

I agree that The Order is a graphical masterpiece, nothing else touches it. But what other areas are you talking about? The gameplay was average if not below average. There was potential for something great, but it was too repetitive and too short to feel special

I think we call that "sarcasm" friend

Suprised that Mass Effect: Andromeda and XCOM 2 didnt finish higher. Considering how central the ME franchise has been in the gaming world during the trilogy run, it is supring to see that a game like Persona 5 is being more anticipated on this forum. Have people soured on the ME franchise that much, or is it simply down to the fact that there hasnt been enough shown of Andromeda to have people hyped?
Andromeda's had 2 vague teasers. I'm sure it would have been higher if more was shown so far.

JCX

I play one Tales game every 5-10 years to remind me not to play Tales games.

reKon

Banned

Killzone 2 was considered great, especially the multiplayer. Even Killzone 3's MP wasn't really bad. Killzones 3's CO-OP single player campaign was actually one of the best single player experience I had last gen and severely under rated/overlooked. The weaponry/gunplay, pacing, difficulty, and linear-open style were actually great.

Andromeda's had 2 vague teasers. I'm sure it would have been higher if more was shown so far.

Yeah, also the fact that a lot of people think like me, that this is an early 2017 game. But guess we have to wait a few months to find out.

Guys, I am also very confident that only one game in the top 10 will slip into 2017.

Bluenoser

Is it just me or is there a salty theme emerging here?

There are a lot of PS4 games in the top 10, but it only stands to reason when the install base is double that of its closest competition.

No need to shit on the games that got voted in because they aren't playable on your platform of choice people. Be classy.

Fantomas

Awesome list, thanks for all the hard work compiling it together! Also, my quote for No Man's Sky is in the OP and I feel all special now! It is my #1 most anticipated game so it's cool to see there's a lot of people on GAF who feel similarly. Going by the list, it looks to be a great year for games as far as I'm concerned, looking forward to the rest of the year for sure.

Form the top 10 I'm most curious if Zelda will deliver as we've seen so little of it and if The Last Guardian actually comes out this year.

Uncharted 4 and Dark Souls 3 seem safe bets when it comes to delivering quality.

Horizon's game director, heh.

R7llwba.png

rafaelr

wow, even if only a fraction of these most anitcipated games come out this year, my wallet will bleed
(a lot)

Yeah, also the fact that a lot of people think like me, that this is an early 2017 game. But guess we have to wait a few months to find out.

that and the last thing most people remember about Mass Effect is ME3's ending. That game was NOT popular on NeoGAF. Shows GAF's love of the franchise that it placed as high as it did.

As for XCOM2 placement, its still a challenging tactics revival from the 90s exclusively on PC. That's not gonna have the wider appeal of big PS4 games or the new Zelda.

edit: also you guys gotta stop with the salty thing. Nobody is mad here. We all own PS4s. We're just talking video games here.

Endo Punk

The fact Horizon has an amazing female lead character is enough for me to want it to succeed. Come on Guerilla, this is your shot now so don't blow it like RAD.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
It may be just me, but i've kinda felt like Guerrila is keenly much more sensitive to the praise they've gotten to Horizon than expected.

Even at E3, the devs on scene were kinda freaking out because of the reception it got from the reveal. I guess they are really nervous about meeting expectations for their first new IP in many years?

Portugeezer

What a year, here's hoping no big delays.

How it works: People watched Horizon gameplay. People thought, "damn, looks dope".

More people also own PS4's so it's easy to anticipate a game you will be able to.

Guys, I am also very confident that only one game in the top 10 will slip into 2017.

Yeah, EA never said 2016 specifically, so I am sceptical that it will make 2016.

Arulan

I'm surprised BioWare is still held up by many when their last three RPGs have ranged from mediocre to terrible, but I suppose opinions vary.

There are a few on the list I'm looking forward to, but as always, these lists are very console and AAA slanted. For me, the spiritual sequel to Planescape: Torment: one of the best RPGs of all time, and in a class of its own in video game writing; Torment: Tides of Numenera is easily my most anticipated of the year. My expectations aren't so high that I think it can live up to Planescape: Torment, but if it so much as comes close, it could be one of the best RPGs in years. Stellaris and Hearts of Iron IV should be great. I don't expect Divinity: Original Sin 2 this year. If Mount & Blade 2: Bannerlord manages to release this year, that could be fantastic, given the original has what is likely the best real-time melee combat system, and horseback combat.

Top Bottom