• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Voted: Most Anticipated Games of 2016

WhgVRsJ.jpg

*Thanks for participating everyone! Special thanks to Doffen, dancrane212 & nrvalleytime for their help. See you next year!*

ARCHIVES

GENERAL STATS

• Number of users: 1,749
  • Number of ballots: 1,634
  • Votes counted: 10,898
  • Points awarded: 27,995
  • Approximately 4x as many participants as the initial 2013 voting thread
  • Games #213-260 had 1 point each
  • Games #185-212 had 2 points each
  • Games #156-184 had 3 points each

aQsTBCi.png

GAF Comments:
Naughty Dog, for me, are the best developer out there, and I expect Uncharted 4 to deliver. 3 was obviously divisive, especially on GAF, and I'm hoping 4 will blow people away, just like 2 did all those years ago. Not really much more to say, other than it is probably the main reason I chose to purchase a PS4.
Uncharted 4 A Thief's End : It's the last Naughty Dog-developed Uncharted game - who isn't excited? I'm interested to see how the story ends for the cast of characters I've grown to love over the years.
My favorite developer's first brand new game on the PS4 after getting experience with The Last of Us Remastered. I enjoy the hell out of every Uncharted game I have played, and I don't expect anything less from this entry.
Naughty Dog are, in my opinion, the only console developers who can match a brilliant script with brilliant gameplay. They 'get' it. Their last two games (UC3 and TLoU) were A+ products. UC4's single-player looks phenomenal, and the multiplayer looks like it has a whole bunch of cool stuff. Their games don't babysit you and treat you like a pre-schooler, their loading times are always tolerable and better than most, the music in their games is in a class of its own, they don't have a history of releasing unplayable games, the list goes on. It would take an anvil of bad choices to make UC4 not worth the wait.

8z6SyhY.png

GAF Comments:
Déjà vu much? I voted this my most anticipated game in 2015, and I'm here to do so once again. Hopefully this will be the last time. Putting aside my own fanboyish love of the series, I feel there are reasons for many people to be excited. The game seems to be carrying so many of the things I love about "animu" and "JRPG" without taking too many of the things I so vehemently hate about them (particularly modern ones). Everything we've seen of this game exudes an almost filthy amount of style that puts it just head and shoulders above other video games. For goodness sake's, the menus look good. Maybe I'm wrong to presume this, but if they've put so much care into the menus, I imagine the rest of the game is going to be a real labor of love.
Playing through Persona 4 Golden for the first time was such an incredible experience and by the time I had finished the game I had a new all time favorite. A sequel to P4G that looks like it was combined with my childhood favorite series Sly Cooper? It's a match made in heaven for me.
It's been number 1 for a while now, but if I could have every other game I'm mentioning in this post or Persona 5, I would choose Persona 5. That's the excitement here.

4rga7Ny.png

GAF Comments:
This game... This game. Everything about it is so awesome from what we have seen. Robot Dino's... Enough said.
This game gets a high spot on the list simply because I can't believe it exists in the modern AAA landscape. It's a single player RPG that takes place in a post-apocalyptic stone age where robot dinosaurs from a studio that's never made an RPG before. I've always been a fan of Guerrilla Games' art style and can't wait to lose myself in this world. Hopefully the staff the studio has hired in recent years is up to snuff for getting the RPG elements right. What they've shown so far has hit a lot of the right notes for me.

UPqtdpZ.png

GAF Comments:
This looks like the shake up Zelda has needed for awhile, and sort of in a way true to its roots. I have open world fatigue, surely, but if you look back at Zelda on the NES you got that feeling of scale and exploration that I'm really hoping this will also inspire. The color palette pops so well, and I'm thrilled to see bigger "mini-boss" type enemies might be scattered around the world. I eagerly await more info.
This was a hard pick, since this year there isn't that one game that has me dead focused on getting, but instead multiple. That said, it's Zelda, I've been into this series since I started gaming and each mainline console game has been really special to me. Even the divisive Skyward Sword I loved (and liked more than TP, but lets not get into that). Hopes are high for this release, since they put expectations high after showing a beautiful trailer and all their teases. Let’s hope this is one for the ages.
I remember that I voted for this game last year, and it wouldn't surprise me if I have to vote for it next year too, heh. From the short videos shown so far, the game looks fantastic. We've yet to see if Nintendo can actually pull this off, but regardless of how good it turns out to be in the end, I'm excited for it.

mBE1JF3.png

GAF Comments:
Potentially the last game in my favorite franchise of all time. I am expecting the usual greatness and I'm sure From Soft will deliver. Every single piece of footage we've gotten assures me From still has their head in the game
Another game in the Souls series almost seems too good to be true, but it's reality and only four months away. The first two games have already been some of the greatest games in gaming history and the third should continue the legacy.
With what seems to be Yuka Kitamura doing more of the composing work, she did Sir Alonne's theme from Dark Souls 2, the soundtrack alone is getting me hyped for this game. I'm a massive fan of Dark Souls and Bloodborne for the relentless and rewarding gameplay as well as the storytelling and atmosphere From Software has knocked out of the park consistently. I really can't wait to delve into Dark Souls in this apocalyptic scenario.

PpzSAEN.png

GAF Comments:
Mass Effect is my favorite series of all time, and a new game that seems to go back to the roots of the original with a lot of focus on exploration sounds wonderful!
My favorite trilogy in gaming...new art / direction looks and sounds incredible. If Bioware can can capture the ambiance of the first 3 with a great sci-fi story, solid gameplay and gorgeous graphics, it'll be one of my favorite games of all time
Nothing comes close to this for me, loved the entire series and the premise sounds great on paper. A fresh start in this universe, on Frostbite, sounds absolutely amazing, can't wait.
The Mass Effect Trilogy was probably the highlight of the previous gen for me.

IuUZ6Ot.png

GAF Comments:
Difficult to imagine an entire console generation would pass before the bookend installment to Team Ico's loosely-connected trilogy could finally reach retailer shelves. An understandable amount of skepticism does revolve around the title given it's presumably designer Fumito Ueda's last forte with the publisher that assisted in making his artistic endeavors such a formidable force in the interactive world. Admittedly, the latest E3 re-reveal didn't showcase any graphical overhaul from previous presentations and, obviously, competition has stepped forward in its absence to deliver evocative journeys under a familiar minimalist aesthetic. Regardless of these worries, Ico and Shadow of the Colossus have stood the test of time as inventive masterpieces from the PS2 selection. Our latest adventure will certainly prove to be satisfactory even on the chance the tale of a boy and his gryphon doesn't sore to the same heights as the previous feats. It would be worth the wait just to gain a lingering gaze into a world that speak volumes with little words.
At first I wasn't sure where this would place on my list but after starting to read the so far excellent book, Shadow of the Colossus by Nick Suttner, where he explores the impact of that seminal game I knew this had to go high. Many have been waiting and believing in this game for so long now it's hard to imagine how it could ever live up to the hype. I then just remember the sheer achievement that was SotC and it makes me believe. Plus it has an awesome kitty... thing.

ilaiTH6.png

GAF Comments:
It been quite the ride, 3 years in workable/actual development. From the demo I love the look of the game monster designs are top notch, the cast work really well off of each other and feel like friends/brothers, animations in this game is crazy good, music Yoko is incredible and I like the story of the game (brotherhood, roadtrip, a quest to get back the crystal, revenge). The combat was good for the alpha demo and with magic and such it can only get better and if they are able to pull of a FF in open world this game...March event here we come.
This one has been a long time coming. This has been a game I have been long anticipating and it is coming out next year. The production values are still there and the gameplay plays great with improvements being heaped upon it as it goes. The characters and story have long pulled me in. I actually think a lot of people are underselling it as of now but come March I think we will all be changing our tune.

k00erNr.png

GAF Comments:
I asked for this. More cyberpunk stealth with a new Michael McCann soundtrack. Yes. Yes to all of that.
One of my favorite games last generation. Amazing story and characters, I also love the entire theme of this franchise.
Human Revolution was so good. I've been patiently waiting for the sequel. And then the delay happened and crushed my soul. But the delay didn't ruin my anticipation level for the game at all.

DQrxo8R.png

GAF Comments:
Everything about this game intrigues me, I just want to explore it and find out its secrets.
Ever since I played Elite on the C64, I've been looking forward to more space exploration games where the only goal is to explore and survive. This has that same space sci-fi feel as classic Elite. No Man's Sky looks ambitious even if the graphics are simple. I just hope it has a solid hook. I do need to give the new Elite a try. I played the demo and found the controls a bit frustrating where as this looks much simpler and possibly more inviting.

11bpslw.png

12qwsye.png

13m7s2v.png

14fnsa0.png

1574sn9.png

16r7ssg.png

17nesy8.png

185es7p.png

1913sfl.png

20y1s2v.png

21vvslw.png

223ysb3.png

239nsso.png

24yismy.png

25e8sej.png

26. Gears of War 4
27. Danganronpa V3
28. Star Ocean 5
29. Yooka-Laylee
30. The Witness
31. Star Fox Zero
32. Doom
33. Crackdown 3 (Multiplayer)
34. Yakuza 0
35. Dragon Quest VII
36. Hitman
37. Rise of the Tomb Raider (PC/PS4)
38. Gran Turismo Sport
39. South Park: The Fractured but Whole
40. Torment: Tides of Numenera
41. Genei Ibun Roku #FE
42. Dragon Quest XI
43. Cuphead
44. Recore
45. Halo Wars 2
46. Mafia III
47. Rime
48. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney 6
49. Bravely Second
50. Shin Megami Tensei IV Final
51. Hyper Light Drifter
52. Plants vs Zombies: Garden Warfare 2
53. Far Cry: Primal
54. Sea of Thieves
55. Dragon's Dogma (PC)
56. Dreams
57. The Tomorrow Children
58. Divinity: Original Sin 2
59. Shadow Warrior 2
60. Valkyria: Azure Revolution
61. Alienation
62. Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth
63. Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess HD
64. Project Setsuna
65. Unravel
66. Pokken Tournament
67. Total War: Warhammer
68. World of Final Fantasy
69. Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8
70. REZ Infinite
71. Guilty Gear Xrd Revelator
72. Day of the Tentacle Remastered
73. Gravity Rush: Remastered
74. Tacoma
75. Hatsune Miku: Project Diva X
76. Kingdom Come Deliverance
77. Star Citizen: Squadron 42
78. The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel II
79. Dragon Quest VIII
80. King of Fighters XIV
81. Dead or Alive Xtreme 3
82. Metroid Prime: Federation Force
83. Stellaris
84. Below
85. Abzu
86. Salt & Sanctuary
87. Megadimension Neptunia VII
88. The Banner Saga 2
89. Amplitude
90. Ys 8
91. RIGS
92. Tekken 7
93. Cosmic Star Heroine
94. Darkest Dungeon
95. Dragon Quest Builders
96. Hellblade
97. Nights of Azure
98. ADR1FT
99. Dirt Rally (Consoles)
100. Don't Starve
101. Hatsune Miku: Project Future Tone
102. Pokemon GO
103. Killer Instinct: Season 3
104. Mighty No. 9
105. Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord
106. Resident Evil 0: HD
107. Senran Kagura Estival Versus
108. Thimbleweed Park
109. Valkyria Chronicles (Remaster)
110. Ace Combat 7
111. Eve Valkyrie
112. Heavy Rain (PS4)
113. Ikenie to Yuki no Setsuna
114. Odin Sphere Leifthrasir
115. Sherlock Holmes: The Devil's Daughter
116. Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam
117. Melty Blood
118. Mother Russia Bleeds
119. What Remains of Edith Finch
120. Battleborn
121. Bound
122. Final Fantasy Explorers
123. Hearts of Iron IV
124. Hyrule Warriors: Legends
125. Toukiden 2
126. Attack on Titan
127. Eitr
128. Frog Fractions 2
129. Ghost Song
130. Homefront: The Revolution
131. Hunger
132. New Hot Shots Golf
133. Oxenfree
134. Yokai Watch
135. Allison Road
136. Endless Space 2
137. Full Throttle Remastered
138. Night in the Woods
139. Outlast II
140. Pathologic: Remake
141. Romance of the Three Kingdoms 13
142. Superhot
143. A Hat in Time
144. Atelier Sophie
145. Inside
146. Kathy Rain
147. Manifold Garden
148. Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 4
149. One Piece Burning Blood
150. Raiden V
151. Rocket League (XBO Version)
152. Shantae: Half-Genie Hero
153. This War of Mine: The Little Ones
154. Trackmania Turbo
155. Yakuza 6
156. Adrift in a Cobalt Eternity
157. Battlefleet Gothic Armada
158. Cook, Serve, Delicious 2
159. Digimon World: Next Order
160. Disaster Report 4 Plus: Summer Memories
161. Exogenesis
162. Fragments of Him
163. Head Lander
164. Hollow Knight
165. Horizon Chase
166. Iconoclasts
167. La-Mulana 2
168. Master of Orion
169. MLB The Show '16
170. Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom
171. Monster Hunter X
172. Perception
173. Rain World
174. Resident Evil Origins Collection
175. Robinson: The Journey
176. Root Letter
177. Shadow of the Beast
178. Shardlight
179. Stranger of Sword City
180. Summer Lesson
181. Syberia
182. The Journey Down
183. The Revolution 1979
184. Thumper
185. 100 ft. Robot Golf
186. Assetto Corsa
187. Constructor HD
188. Death's Gambit
189. EA Sports' UCF 2
190. Elysian Shadows
191. Friday the 13th
192. Gigantic
193. Grim Dawn
194. Hearth Forth, Alicia
195. Jenny Leclue
196. Moero Crystal
197. Muv
198. Nitroplus Blasterz
199. Obduction
200. Overkill's The Walking Dead
201. Pavilion
202. Protect Me Knight 2
203. Ray Gigant
204. Root Double
205. Sen no Kiseki
206. Severed
207. Shroud of the Avatar
208. Sniper: Ghost Warrior 3
209. Story of Seasons
210. The Guild 3
211. Tree of Savior
212. Xanadu Next
213. 3D Power Drift
214. Aztez
215. Chasm
216. CrossCode
217. Dead Star
218. Demon Gaze 2
219. Enter the Gungeon
220. Everybody's Golf
221. Fairy Fencer F Advent Dark Force
222. GNOG
223. Hive Jump
224. Home Improvisation
225. Hot Shots Golf (PS4)
226. Killing Floor 2
227. Ladykiller in a Bind
228. LEGO Marvel's Avengers
229. Let It Die
230. Little Devil Inside
231. Marvel Heroes
232. Matterfall
233. Memory of a Broken Dimension
234. Miitomo
235. Moon Hunters
236. Omori
237. P.A.M.E.L.A
238. Prey for the Gods
239. Quadlitarel Cowboy
240. RIOT
241. Rivals of Aether
242. Roller Coaster Tycoon World
243. SaGa Scarlet Graces
244. Secrets of Grindia
245. Slain!
246. Sonic Boom: Fire & Ice
247. Space Venture
248. Starcrawlers
249. Super Pokemon Mystery Dungeon
250. SuperHyperCube
251. Tales of Berseria
252. That Which Sleeps
253. The Legend of Legacy
254. The London Heist
255. The Universim
256. Vampyr
257. Wanderer
258. Wattam
259. We Happy Few
260. Whiteday

Hard

Banned
Well deserved. I hope I can snag TNDC for $20 before UC4 drops so I can play through the series again :^)

Zhao_Yun

Amazing work Shinobi!!
Uncharted 4 on #1 doesn't surprise me but I didn't expect Persona 5 to be on #2 with a huge lead over #3. Sad to see that Nier didn't made the Top 10 but #12 is a good result considering the competition! Also good to see Star Ocean 5 on 28 ;D

I think the comments for FFXV and Deus Ex have been mixed up though :p

Rainy

Banned
Did you switch the Deus Ex and FFXV comments by mistake?

Edit: A really good list, great job on making this too :)

Thanks for your efforts Shinobi. Uncharted is my most anticipated game as well so it seems like my taste align with Gaf. In fact, I'm looming forward to most of the games in the top 10. 2016 will be a great year for games.

NieR got robbed
(I didn't even vote)

Fun list. Surprised to see Deus Ex so high there.

Also thanks for the work on doing these lists.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Persona has been in the most anticipated thread since 2014. I bet we're going to see Persona 5 next year too!

huehue

lol @ anticipating The Legend of Zelda.

Fixed.

I do wonder though, what games won't be coming out this year from the top 25. I have a good feeling The Legend of Zelda, Horizon: Zero Dawn, and Mass Effect Andromeda won't make it this year.

Haha, you quoted me for Persona 5! Thanks! :p

Great list overall. A little surprised SFV didn't crack the Top 10, but hey, it's there at least.
Persona has been in the most anticipated thread since 2014. I bet we're going to see Persona 5 next year too!

huehue
Yes.

In the GOTY thread ^_^

CHC

Well this is (obviously) the most NeoGAF list I could possibly imagine. But then again I'm a member and I'm excited for most of those games so ayyyy

Speaking of lists, when are the results for GOTY 2015 going to be up?

Endo Punk

UC4 was on top last year too? It's my second most anticipated after SFV and the delay did nothing to temper my excitement.

The top 25....what a time to be alive! I only game out of those I can see being delayed is The Last Guardian, but I hope I'm wrong. And despite the speculation, I'm still adamant Horizon will still launch this year too. Happy to take that L if it ever comes, though.

RexNovis

Banned
Only two of my most anticipated games made it in the top 10.

1. No Man's Sky (#10 on GAF)

2. Ni-Oh (#24 on GAF)

3. Overwatch (#25 on GAF)

4. Hyper Light Drifter (#51 on GAF)

5. Robinson The Journey (#175 on GAF... T_T)

6. Firewatch (#20 on GAF)

7. Rachet & Clank (#23 on GAF)

8. Star Ocean V (#28 on GAF)

9. Persona 5 (#2 on GAF)

10. The Banner Saga 2 (#88 on GAF)

RexNovis is a dirty videogame hipster confirmed.

Top Bottom