• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF SEGA Community Thread |OT| To be this good takes AGES

Kazza

It's interesting that he said the first Yakuza, although it did well sales wise, still didn't make enough to cover costs (due to it being the first game they made for PS2). It reflects Shenmue in some ways. He then got told they needed to get the sequel out within a year of the first in order to keep the series' momentum going, which although difficult led to the game selling twice as much as the original. The Yakuza team have pretty much kept up that fast pace ever since. I wished they would slow down a little though, and maybe work on a new game between each Yakuza.

Kazza

Sega Sammy Holdings, the parent company of Sega, has certainly suffered. It reported operating losses and decreased sales for the first half of the financial year, sold the majority of its shares in the Sega Amusements business, and even shut down the company's famous Akihabara arcade.

Earlier this month, it called for 650 of its 9,000-strong staff to quit their jobs.

But Sega Europe president and COO Gary Dale says this isn't as bleak a picture as it may seem, especially when it comes to the long-running video games brand. The redundancies, he tells us, are entirely targeted at the Japanese side of the business -- and specifically at the resorts and pachinko divisions which, as you might imagine, have struggled during the pandemic.

Gary Dale, Sega Europe

"There's no impact to the games business, whether that's in Japan, or certainly outside Japan in the US or in Europe," Dale tells GamesIndustry.biz regarding the call of voluntary retirement.

"We are extremely close to Sega Japan. I think you'd be surprised at how often we speak to our Japanese bosses in Tokyo -- it is every day, and the business runs really tight together."

Sega Europe, then, is in "rude health," according to Heaton, enjoying much the same boost as other games firms during this turbulent year. While it doesn't release specific numbers beyond those included in group-wide financials, Dale reports their side of the business is "significantly ahead of plan."

"We saw higher levels of engagement across all the platforms as we went into lockdown in March," he says. "Those resulted in higher levels of sales, and we've continued to be a buoyant business since then."

As Heaton mentioned, Sega Europe has taken advantage of as many promotional and discount opportunities as possible this year to drive more revenue than it would have normally seen in a quiet year, thus doing its part to aid its sister businesses in Japan.

"But it would be the same if it were the other way around," says Dale. "If we were the part of the company in trouble, the other parts would look to help us out. So it was easy to do, and we're looking to do whatever we can to support the parts of the company that are struggling with what is a highly unusual situation.

"What was clear from [management] was they didn't want to do anything that would compromise the long-term quality of the company. It wasn't a case of taking any action that ultimately we might regret, but we should look to run the businesses as aggressively as we can to try and generate funds to support the parts of the group that are having a more difficult time."

"There was nothing wrong with the [resorts and pachinko] businesses pre-lockdown," Dale explains. "It's just been the lack of people travelling or out and about in the city centres of Japan that have caused problems, and the view is they'll recover as and when we all get through this... They're not in long-term trouble, they are just short-term impacted by the COVID situation.

"Similarly, there was already a view that the games business represented a high-growth area, and we've seen that from the investment we've made -- Sega Europe, for example, has acquired Two Point, Relic, Amplitude. So this has already been a growth part of the business for them, and that will continue. Sega Sammy Holdings sees the games industry as a growth opportunity, and I don't see that changing.

Sega Europe and Sega of America to the rescue! But seriously, it's good to hear that the games part of the company is in such good health and is continuing to get more and more investment. The new Yakuza has sold really well on PC at £55 and Persona 4 Golden did great before that, so we should be seeing more Sega Japan PC ports in 2021 (and more day one ports too).

Kazza

Cool little one minute video. It's like a Sonic Mania hack, but with different Sega IPs swapped in:

Kazza

With Christmas on the way, it's great to get a Christmas themed My Retro Life episode:

It's funny how underwhelmed he was when he saw the Sega CD under the tree. He seemed more interested in the marker pens! Then he opens Chuck Rock CD and then he finally gets hyped! :messenger_tears_of_joy: I remember my Mega CD was one of those "this is going to be both your birthday present and Christmas present" kind of deals. I remember being mesmerised by that scaling/rotating boot screen too.

Kazza

Although this My Retro Life video is primarily to do with the release of the OG Xbox, it also deals with the death of the Dreamcast and Sega's exit from the hardware market. Although I have a different opinion, for many Sega fans back then it really was the Dreamcast 2:

cireza

Banned
Ah man, she mentioned Skies of Arcadia and how much she liked making games for the Dreamcast, but the interviewer didn't pursue it, instead deciding to tread the usual "Phantasy Star" ground. An interesting interview nonetheless:

She is the video-game person I respect the most.

A great MegaDrive game has been translated by the community. I really recommend it, so people still rocking a MegaDrive with en Everdrive, or whatever other solution to play, should check it out :

Lord Monarch translation

Lord+Monarch+-+Tokoton+Sentou+Densetsu+(Japan)-image.jpg

It's a late MegaDrive game made by SEGA themselves (greatly enhanced port from a Falcom game). Game is awesome, great presentation, music, gameplay and humor.

Nearing the end of Chapter 4. Don't hesitate if you have questions. I am still learning things about this game.

Last edited:

Kazza

Bought Sega AGES Shinobi, but I still think that the Master System version is better.

What do you think makes the MS one better - the health bar?

I recently replayed Alex Kidd in Shinobi World and that game still holds up really well. A shame that it's so short.

A great MegaDrive game has been translated by the community. I really recommend it, so people still rocking a MegaDrive with en Everdrive, or whatever other solution to play, should check it out :

Lord Monarch translation

It's a late MegaDrive game made by SEGA themselves (greatly enhanced port from a Falcom game). Game is awesome, great presentation, music, gameplay and humor.

Nearing the end of Chapter 4. Don't hesitate if you have questions. I am still learning things about this game.

Is it an RTS rather than an SRPG?

Last edited:

cireza

Banned
Is it an RTS rather than an SRPG?
Not too sure of the difference. Lord Monarch is not real time, you can pause the game to make your decisions. It is a management game, units do things by themselves, and you give orders to some of them to advance your objectives. You can also give orders to the king to have him go to places etc...

Komatsu

Lord Monarch translation

Wow, thanks for bringing that up!! Always wanted to play Lord Monarch.

Me too. It's surreal to see her interviews and think that this person made the Phantasy Star I've enjoyed so much for over 30 years now. Her answer as to why it resonated with fans I think nails it; it's a futuristic world, but one that isn't sterile. Characters are warm and likeable, there's hints of different cultures and religions, it blends old and new technology, architecture. I'm still impressed by what they were able to achieve within the limitations at the time.

Kazza

Another lecture at Sega University! This one covers the early Saturn software. I really like these, the are so cute and wholesome. I hope Kodoma is the next lecturer (althoughI would love to see Suzuki give a lecture on their arcade titles).

BUzCe0f.png

Sega's first party output really was crazy back then (although I can spot a few which were just published by them - Sim City 2000, for example).

pC6r4YC.png

I loved the way he slapped Virtua Fighter 2 in the middle there, and then smugly declared how Sega were leading in the 32-bit console wars by the end of 1995. It wasn't to last long, but it was good to end the lecture on such a high note :messenger_tears_of_joy: (Saturn content tends to dwell on its falling behind after 96}

Last edited:

Kazza

Lord Monarch translation

I started playing this yesterday. I felt like playing a slower, strategic type of game and initially thought about playing Civ 6, but decided I wanted something a little quicker and simpler, so this seemed perfect.

The artstyle and music are both very reminiscent of the Megadrive Shining Force games, which I played for the first time this year and absolutely loved, so that was a nice surprise. The gameplay was almost too simple at first, and I was confused about what I should be doing. For the very first battle pretty much the only thing you need to concern yourself with is the tax rate. Definitely simpler than the Civ games! Things got more involved from there, and I hope they get more complex as the game goes on. I'm past what we would today call the tutorials, and am off to prove myself to the princess in a new series of battles.

nush

Gold Member
Another lecture at Sega University! This one covers the early Saturn software. I really like these, the are so cute and wholesome. I hope Kodoma is the next lecturer (althoughI would love to see Suzuki give a lecture on their arcade titles).

BUzCe0f.png

Sega's first party output really was crazy back then (although I can spot a few which were just published by them - Sim City 2000, for example).

pC6r4YC.png

I loved the way he slapped Virtua Fighter 2 in the middle there, and then smugly declared how Sega were leading in the 32-bit console wars by the end of 1995. It wasn't to last long, but it was good to end the lecture on such a high note :messenger_tears_of_joy: (Saturn content tends to dwell on its falling behind after 96}

Another great video in that series, looking forward to see whats coming next. But god I did not need reminding how bad the Saturn was when you had one on import that year.

cireza

Banned
The artstyle and music are both very reminiscent of the Megadrive Shining Force games, which I played for the first time this year and absolutely loved, so that was a nice surprise. The gameplay was almost too simple at first, and I was confused about what I should be doing. For the very first battle pretty much the only thing you need to concern yourself with is the tax rate. Definitely simpler than the Civ games! Things got more involved from there, and I hope they get more complex as the game goes on. I'm past what we would today call the tutorials, and am off to prove myself to the princess in a new series of battles.
You can raise SPEED in the option.

The game becomes quickly very challenging. I am at the final battle of chapter 5 and still have not succeeded, I have at least 10 attempts right now. Some other battles took me around 10 attempts as well. There is one in Chapter 3 that is very difficult.

It seems that I am not using my King enough. I should you him more to clear enemy bases, when I have enough money. I don't really this though, it feels a bit counter intuitive.

Last edited:

Kazza

You can raise SPEED in the option.

The game becomes quickly very challenging. I am at the final battle of chapter 5 and still have not succeeded, I have at least 10 attempts right now. Some other battles took me around 10 attempts as well. There is one in Chapter 3 that is very difficult.

It seems that I am not using my King enough. I should you him more to clear enemy bases, when I have enough money. I don't really this though, it feels a bit counter intuitive.

Oh, I know about the speed option, I generally keep it at max. Good to hear it gets more challenging. I've experimented with sending my king out, but I generally go bankrupt without him at the castle. I try to save up some money before sending him out (I think you can't accept taxes without him there). The further away the base, the more difficult it becomes to send him to attack. It must be good to use him if someone attacks you and is approaching your base though.

Kazza

Another great video in that series, looking forward to see whats coming next. But god I did not need reminding how bad the Saturn was when you had one on import that year.

I didn't get mine until the Christmas of 95 and by that time there was already a good library of games, with more must-haves on the horizon (the holy trinity of Sega Rally, Virtua Cop and Virtua Fighter 2 in particular). Looking at that early Japanese list I don't think it's too bad. Panzer, VF and Daytona are already 3 big hitters, with a next gen feel very different from anything available on the Megadrive. The supporting software doesn't look too bad either. I loved Riglord.

Kazza

Another superb video from Jenovi:

I thought it was of enough general interest to post in the main forum (I included a summary of the main points of the video too):

His arguments seem pretty on point, imo.

Kazza

I've gotten bored of the music in Lord Monarch, so have been listening to podcasts while playing instead. I came across this podcast with former Sega producer Mac Senour and it is :messenger_fire: :messenger_fire: :messenger_fire: :

This dude doesn't hold back at all, and really lays bare the lack of cooperation with SoJ of the time. Things actually get a little awkward when he starts laying into another Sega dude he used to work with about some personal stuff (that guy, Michael Latham, appears in another of their podcasts, but tries to rise above it rather than firing back). Apart from the personal drama, they discuss:

- development of the Menacer gun and software
- working out how to get the Megadrive/Genesis working (and SoJ's lack of cooperation)
- Tazmanian Devil on the Game Gear
- lots of other great stories which I can't remember right now!

The podcast with Michael Lathan is also very interesting:

Last edited:

cireza

Banned
I've gotten bored of the music in Lord Monarch
There are some nice tunes. I think that I have reached the final battle, going to try to complete it this evening. Game was super awesome, one of the best on the console in my opinion, and pretty unique one at that.

Edit : completed the game. It seems that N. Iwadare worked on the arrangements for the MegaDrive. Overall the game was fantastic. There are many great cutscenes, and near the end of the game, they put some huge efforts into these. All the battles felt fun and varied, introducing new mechanics all the time. This is a quality game, and it is fantastic that it is finally available in English. Translation was perfect.

Last edited:

Kazza

There are some nice tunes. I think that I have reached the final battle, going to try to complete it this evening. Game was super awesome, one of the best on the console in my opinion, and pretty unique one at that.

Edit : completed the game. It seems that N. Iwadare worked on the arrangements for the MegaDrive. Overall the game was fantastic. There are many great cutscenes, and near the end of the game, they put some huge efforts into these. All the battles felt fun and varied, introducing new mechanics all the time. This is a quality game, and it is fantastic that it is finally available in English. Translation was perfect.

How did you complete the final level?

At least, what I presume is the real, final final level against the prince who has kidnapped the princess

The situation is this:
Main enemy (yellow team) at the top of the map, me at the bottom. In between there is team blue to the right and team red to the left. Either side of my starting position are two moster-infested but fenced off areas.

QCFjCOd.png

Initially, I tried to play conservatively, developing all territory south of the river, but that didn't work. After a few tries I changed strategy and tried to aggresively knock the closest enemy (blue) out of contention by directing all development to the north-east and using my king to aggressively destroy forts and blue soldiers. I even managed to destroy the blue king once, but the yellow army quickly took advantage and capt5ured all former blue territory. Today I might try to go after red instead, see if I can at least secure all land enclosed by the cliff north of the river.

How did you do it?

cireza

Banned
How did you do it?
I don't remember exactly. But seeing the map, here is what I would do :

- 1) build the cheapest road to whatever enemy : here I would say reaching the blue seems easy, you simply have to destroy a fence and rebuild a bridge (cheap)
- 2) then, I harass the enemy until I can defeat him, to this here are the steps :
- a) stay in your castle, full TAX, and wait to have a bit of money (the goal here is to have enough money for your troops to build forts while you are out)
- b) when you feel that you have enough, put TAX to 0, then go out with your King and start destroying enemy forts until you run out of life (around 200 to be safe)
- c) go back to castle to heal
- repeat steps a, b, c until enemy is defeated (you can go take out the enemy King when you have 4/5x times more health than him)
- repeat steps 1, 2 until victory

This should do it. Pretty sure I did yellow second and red third.

Last edited:

Kazza

I don't remember exactly. But seeing the map, here is what I would do :

- 1) build the cheapest road to whatever enemy : here I would say reaching the blue seems easy, you simply have to destroy a fence and rebuild a bridge (cheap)

Thanks, I'll give it another go today. I've already been doing all the other stuff you suggested throughout the game (that whole "max tax to save money when in the castle to save cash, then out marauding with your king wo grow population with 0% tax" tactic has been especially effective for me), but I never thought to just build a lone road like that. I normally just manually direct my soldiers towards a certain direction, and then set them to auto (so that they build both forts and roads). Building a road only might help wipe out blue more quickly.

cireza

Banned
Thanks, I'll give it another go today. I've already been doing all the other stuff you suggested throughout the game (that whole "max tax to save money when in the castle to save cash, then out marauding with your king wo grow population with 0% tax" tactic has been especially effective for me), but I never thought to just build a lone road like that. I normally just manually direct my soldiers towards a certain direction, and then set them to auto (so that they build both forts and roads). Building a road only might help wipe out blue more quickly.
Push Y to enter View mode, everything stops. Click on a unit, then click on a Fence or Bridge and choose "Destroy" or "Build" depending on situation, then "Hold". After having finished her work, the unit will not automatically build a Fort, so you can actually use it again for another order. This top might help, especially in the beginning of the maps, where you want to accomplish very quickly some key actions, and only have a few units.

Good luck !

Kazza

Push Y to enter View mode, everything stops. Click on a unit, then click on a Fence or Bridge and choose "Destroy" or "Build" depending on situation, then "Hold". After having finished her work, the unit will not automatically build a Fort, so you can actually use it again for another order. This top might help, especially in the beginning of the maps, where you want to accomplish very quickly some key actions, and only have a few units.

Good luck !

Ok, I've just finished it this afternoon. As it turned out, I still had one more battle to go, but that one was pretty straightforward.

It is a really great game, and I'm glad someone went to the trouble of translating it. I liked the Shining Force style graphics, sound and writing. The gameplay was fun too. Although the AI algorithm and mechanics were super simple, they changed up the scenarios often enough to keep things interesting.

It worked great in Kega Fusion. Definitely worth playing.

Kazza

Speaking of great games, what is the best Sega game you guys played this year? I was really into the Megadrive Mini earlier in the year, so played a lot of Megadrive stuff. I didn't play too much later era games do to focussing on the Mega CD, so a lot of the games were ones I played for the very first time.

Phantasy Star 4 - I enjoyed this a lot, despite not being a massive old school RPG fan. Nice story and characters, and the battle system was pretty streamlined and snappy. It was snowing where I was, so playing that ice planet was felt particularly engrossing for me
Shining Force 1 & 2 - another first time playthrough. Probably my game of the year (I liked the first slightly more than the second). My only regret is never being able to get any use out of the dragon character in 2 (Bleui?). He just kept dying after dealing a single point of damage.
Streets of Rage 4 - lived up to my expectations. I new in the first few seconds from the feeling of controlling Blaze that they had nailed the gameplay. The only issue I have (that others might not consider a drawback) is that a single playthrough is a little on the long side (50 minutes is max for a beat'em up for me). I would have preffered the same amount of content, but with branching paths, making each playthrough shorter.
Castle of Illusion Remake - I just played this over Christmas and was surprised by how good it was! I replayed the original late last year and thought it was still great, no ramake needed. However, I thought the new additions and twists in this remake were all really well done.

Those are the ones which stuck out the most for me.

Speaking of great games, what is the best Sega game you guys played this year? I was really into the Megadrive Mini earlier in the year, so played a lot of Megadrive stuff. I didn't play too much later era games do to focussing on the Mega CD, so a lot of the games were ones I played for the very first time.

Phantasy Star 4 - I enjoyed this a lot, despite not being a massive old school RPG fan. Nice story and characters, and the battle system was pretty streamlined and snappy. It was snowing where I was, so playing that ice planet was felt particularly engrossing for me
Shining Force 1 & 2 - another first time playthrough. Probably my game of the year (I liked the first slightly more than the second). My only regret is never being able to get any use out of the dragon character in 2 (Bleui?). He just kept dying after dealing a single point of damage.
Streets of Rage 4 - lived up to my expectations. I new in the first few seconds from the feeling of controlling Blaze that they had nailed the gameplay. The only issue I have (that others might not consider a drawback) is that a single playthrough is a little on the long side (50 minutes is max for a beat'em up for me). I would have preffered the same amount of content, but with branching paths, making each playthrough shorter.
Castle of Illusion Remake - I just played this over Christmas and was surprised by how good it was! I replayed the original late last year and thought it was still great, no ramake needed. However, I thought the new additions and twists in this remake were all really well done.

Judgment and Yakuza 6 - I've talked about these games a lot already on here, but I put them right up with Yakuza 0 and Kiwami 2 as the best of the series. Both games are showcases for RGG's intricate writing and character development, with loads of atmosphere to match. The studio is at the top of their craft here, much like From with Sekiro.

Vanquish - I felt like my hair was blown back the whole time I played this. Incredible fast-paced action, a solid challenge, and just enough strategy required to prevent blind running and gunning. It's a PS3 port, so the visuals are a bit colourless and muddy as was common that gen, but absolutely worth picking up. Would be fantastic to get a new one or even just a remake.

Kazza

Did anyone buy this? Some of the huge boss sprites are very impressive for the Game Gear. Not too much slowdown either.

Tuff McNutt

Yakuza 6 was one of the whopping 2 PS4 games I cleared this year. Really fun game.

Honorable mention goes to The Terminator on Sega CD. Still a badass game.

Pit-Fighter on Genesis is always in rotation. My kid loves dinosaurs, so we play a lot of Primal Rage on 32X.

Kazza

Yakuza 6 was one of the whopping 2 PS4 games I cleared this year. Really fun game.

Honorable mention goes to The Terminator on Sega CD. Still a badass game.

Pit-Fighter on Genesis is always in rotation. My kid loves dinosaurs, so we play a lot of Primal Rage on 32X.

You mentioning the CD Terminator game reminds me, there is this guy on the Sega-16 forums who has been developing these little editors for many Mega CD games, allowing you to mod the game, giving yourself more lives etc (kind of like a Game Genie). I think because the system was designed for adults, the difficulty was often ramped up compared to similar games on the regular Megadrive, so these little "cheats" can make the games a little more approachable in 2020. Stuff like Batman and Robin is especially frustrating at regular difficulty.

Is Terminator a difficult game to complete? He did an editor for that one too.

Pit Fighter gets a lot of flak these days, but I remember being super impressed by it when it came out in the arcade. I had a home port as well, but can't remember if it was the Megadrive or the Amiga version.

Kazza

I might as well just do a list of the games already with a Game Genie style editor:

Final Fight
Popful Mail
The Terminator
Lunar: Eternal Blue
Lunar: The Silver Star
Sonic CD
Bram Stoker's Dracula
Adventures of Batman and Robin
Soul Star
Road Rash

Lot's of good options (such as giving more experience per battle on the Lunar games). You can find the links in this forum post:

TaroYamada

Kazza

Streets of Rage 4/Yakuza LaD GOTYs

Also saw Yakuza LaD take a win over at SegaBits.

Nice! SoR4 got into 2 of Digital Foundry's GoY lists too (John and Tom), plu Like a Dragon earned another place in Tom's. Add those two to Panzer Remake, Sakura Wars, 13 Sentinels (well, Vanillaware published by Atlus) and Persona 5 Royal, and it was a good year overall.

teezzy

Banned
Although this My Retro Life video is primarily to do with the release of the OG Xbox, it also deals with the death of the Dreamcast and Sega's exit from the hardware market. Although I have a different opinion, for many Sega fans back then it really was the Dreamcast 2:

Thank you for sharing this. As an Xbox lover, this was beautiful. Thanks

Tuff McNutt

Is Terminator a difficult game to complete? He did an editor for that one too.

The last couple of levels are pretty tough.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Only just discovered this Capcom game was a thing on SEGA's System 32. Apparently only released in Latin America countries. Possibly because by then the world was all about dat 3D polygon rage, it never stood a chance against Daytona USA, SEGA RALLY, etc. It still looks smooth as fuck and quite fun and replayable too.

I feel most of the flashy games going overboard and balls to the wall with the super scaler tech don't actually play all that great, my faves in the style are still Space Harrier, Out Run, Hang On etc., this looks like it could share the top spots alongside those, as opposed to clumsy thrill rides like Galaxy Force 2/After Burner 2 etc.

Last edited:

Kazza

Only just discovered this Capcom game was a thing on SEGA's System 32. Apparently only released in Latin America countries. Possibly because by then the world was all about dat 3D polygon rage, it never stood a chance against Daytona USA, SEGA RALLY, etc. It still looks smooth as fuck and quite fun and replayable too.

I feel most of the flashy games going overboard and balls to the wall with the super scaler tech don't actually play all that great, my faves in the style are still Space Harrier, Out Run, Hang On etc., this looks like it could share the top spots alongside those, as opposed to clumsy thrill rides like Galaxy Force 2/After Burner 2 etc.

In some ways it's a shame that the 32-bit super scalers didn't get another 2 years before polygons game along, there was still some untapped potential there.

SLX did a good video covering the game a while back:

Kazza

Waiting for my copy. Aleste was amazing

John L from DF liked it a lot too:

I hope it comes to PC in some form in the future (an Aleste Collection with the Mega CD game too would be amazing). I also hope that M2 get a chance to make more original games for old hardware.

Last edited:

Kazza

Note: Only one game per franchise.

1. Sonic 2
2. Skies of Arcadia
3. Yakuza 0
4. Streets of Rage 2
5. Crazy Taxi
6. Phantasy Star Online: Episode 1 & 2
7. Shining Force 2
8. Jet Set Radio
9. Nights Into Dreams
10. Shenmue 2
11. Golden Axe
12. Virtua Fighter 2
13. Panzer Dragoon Saga
14. Shinobi 3
15. Super Monkeyball 2
16. Rez
17. Valkyria Chronicles
18. Outrun
19. Billy Hatcher and the Giant Egg
20. House of the Dead

A surprisingly solid list from WatchMojo, with a good mix of genres, platforms and eras. I suppose Billy Hatcher's inclusion might be a little surprising, but I haven't played it, so can't vouch for its quality (tried to buy it just before Xmas on Ebay, but lost the auction - GameCube games are getting expensive!). Apart from Daytona and/or Sega Rally, I can't think of any glaring omissions.

That's awesome to see Skies of Arcadia at #2. :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:

I've not played Billy Hatcher but you know another great SEGA game that is among the best in my opinion is definitely Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed. Although not internally developed at SEGA (instead by Sumo Digital), it's a damn good kart racing game and wonderful celebration of SEGA IPs with its playable racers and race track variety. Also, the development staff worked on many racing games in the past including Metropolis Street Racer for the Dreamcast.

I know the video talked about games developed and published by SEGA but I just feel it deserves to be mentioned again and again, haha. It was so good.

Last edited:

Kazza

I've not played Billy Hatcher but you know another great SEGA game that is among the best in my opinion is definitely Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed. Although not internally developed at SEGA (instead by Sumo Digital), it's a damn good kart racing game and wonderful celebration of SEGA IPs with its playable racers and race track variety. Also, the development staff worked on many racing games in the past including Metropolis Street Racer for the Dreamcast.

I've got that on my Vita and agree, it's a great game. I'm looking forward to playing it on my PC too, once I can finally buy a new one (damn GPU shortage).

Top Bottom