• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF SEGA Community Thread |OT| To be this good takes AGES

Komatsu

Happy to see it was SEGA (i.e. Atlus) who published 13 Sentinels. I cannot overstate how amazing that game is. Nice to see many references to SEGA arcade games - the game is mostly set in 1985.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Ei1kiHwUMAEgQEH

I have a feeling Nebulus aka Tower Toppler did something similar.

Kazza

Happy to see it was SEGA (i.e. Atlus) who published 13 Sentinels. I cannot overstate how amazing that game is. Nice to see many references to SEGA arcade games - the game is mostly set in 1985.

It looks really good and the people who love it really seem to love it. I hope it comes to PC someday so that I can actually try it.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Looks like it. That game also inspired the tower in Mickey Mania:

Wow I’ve never seen that before but yeah that’s a pretty clear homage. Nebulus came with my Atari ST and was honestly one of my favourite games as a kid - the hardest and most incredibly frustrating game but absolutely magnificent.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member

This post made me go and look at the thread (Atlus being based as fuck) as I didn't know about the game. It looks absolutely fucking lovely. Let's hope it turns up on PC or PSNow.

Kazza

Here are some highlighted quotes by Yosuke Okunari from the interview:

• “For the next Mini, we are considering everything that has been imagined by everyone.”
  • “Of course, it doesn’t mean we can realize all of them. We are also thinking about projects that nobody has imagined.”
  • “The projects are moved by a substantial amount of money, so we’re working first on the one that, realistically speaking, has the highest possibility.”
  • “The Game Gear Micro is only sold domestically in Japan. When we do the next one, I feel like the project scope will be much bigger as we gaze upon the world. So we won’t be able to release it at this time the next year or two years after the Mega Drive Mini. We can’t make it that quickly. (laughs)”
  • “I think for the next one, we may go with a concept close to the Mega Drive Mini. If I have to say some names, it could be an SG-1000 Mini or a Dreamcast Mini…”

I think the SG-1000 sounds the most likely next console to get a mini from that interview. They already have a Game Gear emulator up and running, so a Master System one can't be too much more work. Plus that console is likely the 2nd best selling Sega machine after the Megadrive.

Kazza

Another brand new Megadrive game on the way:

I prefer these new Megadrive releases over the Dreamcast releases we get, as they seem to push the hardware, whereas most of the new DC seem to be a case of just throwing a 16 bit game on a disc.

Hudo

Here are some highlighted quotes by Yosuke Okunari from the interview:

• “For the next Mini, we are considering everything that has been imagined by everyone.”
  • “Of course, it doesn’t mean we can realize all of them. We are also thinking about projects that nobody has imagined.”
  • “The projects are moved by a substantial amount of money, so we’re working first on the one that, realistically speaking, has the highest possibility.”
  • “The Game Gear Micro is only sold domestically in Japan. When we do the next one, I feel like the project scope will be much bigger as we gaze upon the world. So we won’t be able to release it at this time the next year or two years after the Mega Drive Mini. We can’t make it that quickly. (laughs)”
  • “I think for the next one, we may go with a concept close to the Mega Drive Mini. If I have to say some names, it could be an SG-1000 Mini or a Dreamcast Mini…”

I think the SG-1000 sounds the most likely next console to get a mini from that interview. They already have a Game Gear emulator up and running, so a Master System one can't be too much more work. Plus that console is likely the 2nd best selling Sega machine after the Megadrive.
So, what are the must-haves for the SG-1000? I have to admit that I am mostly ignorant of the whole SG-1000/Master System era of Sega.

Kazza

So, what are the must-haves for the SG-1000? I have to admit that I am mostly ignorant of the whole SG-1000/Master System era of Sega.

I was very young when I owned the Master System, so my memories are a little hazy, but I would personally include the following (off the top of my head):
Alex Kidd in Miracle World
Alex Kidd in Shinobi World
Shinobi
Sonic 1&2
Zillion
Wonder Boy: Dragon's Trap
Phantasy Star
Psycho Fox
Master of Darkness (kind of like Sega's Castlevania)

Since Sega managed to get Disney on board for the Megadrive Mini, the Mickey and Donald games would be very welcome (there are at least 4 of them by my count, and they are all great). Game Gear exclusives like the two Shinobi's would also be good additions.

There are also a lot of versions of 16-bit games which, unlike the 8 bit Sonics, are more straightforward ports. I suppose they could add these (SoR1&2, Ristar, Gunstar Heroes...), but while very impressive ports for the time, they aren't so attractive nowadays with the 16 bit versions so widely available.

SpiceRacz

Another brand new Megadrive game on the way:

I prefer these new Megadrive releases over the Dreamcast releases we get, as they seem to push the hardware, whereas most of the new DC seem to be a case of just throwing a 16 bit game on a disc.

Holy shit! That looks awesome.

Tuff McNutt

I was very young when I owned the Master System, so my memories are a little hazy, but I would personally include the following (off the top of my head):
Alex Kidd in Miracle World
Alex Kidd in Shinobi World
Shinobi
Sonic 1&2
Zillion
Wonder Boy: Dragon's Trap
Phantasy Star
Psycho Fox
Master of Darkness (kind of like Sega's Castlevania)

Those are good recommendations. I would also add:

Rambo/Secret Command
Golvellius
Miracle Warriors
Y's
Rastan
Time Soldiers
Action Fighter
Alien Syndrome
Astro Warrior
Hang On
Black Belt/Fist of the North Star
Choplifter
The Cyber Shinobi
Dead Angle
Double Dragon
E-Swat (plays more like the arcade version vs. the Genesis version)
Enduro Racer
Quartet
Fantasy Zone
Forgotten Worlds (has a level that is not in other versions)
Ghostbusters
Ghouls N Ghosts (plays a bit differently than other versions, you can go into shops and upgrade your weapons, pick up different types of armor, etc.)
Golden Axe Warrior
Reggie Jackson Baseball
Walter Payton Football
Pro Wrestling
Great Basketball
Impossible Mission
Kenseiden
King's Quest
Lord of the Sword
Ninja Gaiden (based on the arcade game)
The Ninja
Power Strike
Rocky
Ultima IV
Vigilante
Wonder Boy
Wonder Boy in Monster Land
Wonder Boy III
World Games
Xenon 2

The SMS was the first system I owned as a teenager, so I have a lot of love for it.

Kazza

$25,500 was probably a pretty decent salary back in 1990. Being an artist for Sega back then would have been pretty cool. 1990 would have been just the time to join too, just as the company was about to really take off in the US.

Last edited:

Kazza

Apparently, Sega are doing some mock ups of steam games in old console boxs:

Ej_RlysVkAAfcP1

Ej_REDQVgAAGgx2

Ej_SB2PWsAMT-QV

I say apparently because it doesn't seem to be showing up like that when I check on steam.

I've pretty much got all the Sega stuff I want on steam already, so I haven't bought anything in this sale. It's a shame they aren't doing a sale on all systems, as there are some 3DS games I wouldn't mind buying.

I'm not seeing it either but it would be cool to customize specific SEGA box covers for their games. The red Genesis goes well with Binary Domain.

Last edited:

Kazza

Wow, so out of left field! Sega Studios Australia's Castle of Illusion remake was really good, so I'm looking forward to giving this a try.

The entire Genesis/Mega Drive bundle for Steam was like $8 over the weekend. Now it's $11.

I feel like the Dreamcast collection should have more (round it up to 10 titles) but they stopped after Nights into Dreams.

Kazza

That was a pretty impressive turnaround from, what, 95% Nintendo dominance? A three horse race including the Turbografx would have been even more interesting though.

Kazza

I feel like the Dreamcast collection should have more (round it up to 10 titles) but they stopped after Nights into Dreams

I suppose Shenmue 1&2 can now be included in that collection. Skies of Arcadia is the obvious missing one now. It's strange that a fishing and dancing game got ported before that did. I would also like a port of Daytona 2001. The 360/PS3 port of the arcade version is great, but it would be nice to be able to play the extra tracks featured in 2001.

Komatsu

Skies of Arcadia is the obvious missing one now. It's strange that a fishing and dancing game got ported before that did.

I suspect that Overworks/AM 1 lost the source code during one of their reshuffles. Some of the devs (Kodama, Tanaka, etc.) have been to a couple of NicoNico streams, I believe, and I don't recall them ever showing unused assets, etc., which is pretty common and something I always found somewhat curious. I mean, Panzer Dragoon's Saga's source code was lot for 21 years before Futatsugi somehow found it lying about somewhere, so it's not that far-fetched.

I suppose Shenmue 1&2 can now be included in that collection. Skies of Arcadia is the obvious missing one now. It's strange that a fishing and dancing game got ported before that did. I would also like a port of Daytona 2001. The 360/PS3 port of the arcade version is great, but it would be nice to be able to play the extra tracks featured in 2001.
Yeah, Skies of Arcadia and Daytona USA 2001 would be great as well as ChuChu Rocket and The House of the Dead 2.

I guess it all depends on fan demand and whether or not they still have the source codes.

Last edited:

cireza

Banned
Master System/Game Gear games don't get much attention for their soundtracks, but there is actually a lot of good stuff on the systems. I'm looking forward to what music they come up with for the new game.
Indeed.

Shining Force games on the MegaDrive make heavy use of the Master System audio chip for the main melodies, this is why Game Gear Shining Force games have soundtracks that are so close to the Mega Drive games. This can be easily seen in Final Conflict, that has some musics from Shining Force II.

Last edited:

Kazza

Hideki Naganuma wants to make a new Jet Set Radio, Kenji Hiruta wants to make a new Skies of Arcadia, and now Camelot want to make a new Shining Force - but Sega don't :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Camelot game producer Hiroyuki Takahashi joined a held conference in Japan titled “3rd Game Business Archive” along with Treasure President Masato Maegawa (where he teased an upcoming announcement) and Former Compile director Masamitsu “Moo” Niitani. During his talk he went into detail on Shining Force sale figures and numbers from games way back in the day. This is some of the information he discussed:

• Shining in the Darkness shipped 300k units in Japan, while he states that it was about half the Mega Drive units sold at the time, its not 100% true. As of March 1991 the Mega Drive had 1.90 million units in Japan.
  • Shining Force CD was created for the team to practice on SEGA CD hardware, that’s why they added bonuses.
  • Hiroyuji Takahashi has confirmed that he would like to make Shining Force IV.

Edit: just realised the interview is from 3 years ago! I guess it isn't going to happen then.

Last edited:

Kazza

iirc, the Mega CD wouldn't come to Europe until the next year:

While I was left a little disappointed with how underutilised much of the hardware was (many games were just Megadrive ones with a CD soundtrack), I still had a lot of fun with the system. There was something truly awesome about attaching it to my Megadrive, and then attaching the whole thing to my parents' big old hifi system - what a monster. It became my home's first CD player too.

Kazza

Their resort business really took a hit from Covid!

EmaArw3U0AAAvKV

However, sales of games seems to be doing pretty well, although the overall outlook is still pretty bleak:

In the END though SEGA is posed to lose -24.5 BILLION YEN (232 million USD), they will be cutting down higher ups pay by 30%. This is after all the early retirement, continued sales of software and all that. Its not a great outlook, for sure. But I think SEGA pulling 85% out of a business like Amusement Centers is a good thing, while they profited for awhile, that profit had been up and down. Never stable and it continued to shrink. SEGA pushing more developers and workers into making software titles, especially since they are on the rise in sales and due to COVID-19 a lot more people are playing video games at home; it makes sense to adapt.

Maybe those Microsoft buyout rumours will be true after all :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Segabits did a nice report on the finances:

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Why not just sell all their arcades at this point and focus on phone/consoles which are the real money makers outside pachinko obsessed Japan?

Carna

Banned
jzl5zYg.jpg

Fumina Hara, famous for playing Usagi in a Sailor Moon play, and singing the end theme of Megaman Legends 2. once attending a event for an pachinko Sonic game in the early 2000s, she mentioned shes a fan of the franchise.

Top Bottom