• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF SEGA Community Thread |OT| To be this good takes AGES

MadeManG74

Neo Member
Reading up on Jungle Strike, I got to play the 'Strike' games again. Haven't really given them a shot since they were new! They were great fun.

Also, I've been playing a lot of Beyond Oasis/Story of Thor on my stream lately. I love it! I was expecting it to be good, but didn't know much about the game going in. I'm really impressed and it beat my expectations. Amazing level design and puzzles/exploration, fun but simple combat and an amazing soundtrack.
The boss fights also look amazing on Mega Drive! Almost something I'd expect to see on Saturn!

Last edited:

Kazza

I think it's time to accept that Sonic Forces did better sales wise than Mania:

With it's simple but polished gameplay and character creator, it was probably quite popular with the younger crowd. Even taking PSN into account, those figures are pretty impressive. Isn't Generations still stuck on the PS3? If so, then those 63k new players is even more impressive.

Although I want them to go in a completely different direction, I would enjoy a Forces 2 announcement just for the salt!

Kazza

While not up there with the likes of Sonic and SoR, the Alex Kidd music wasn't too bad. I like this Tee Lopes remix:

I wonder if he'll get in on the new game next year?

Kazza

Beautiful photos of the Sega arcade at night:

EgMZhzxXYAA-KRd

EgMZinmXkAMtSFb

EgMZjanX0AIMZNR

EgMZmPjXgAQo8_X

Kazza

I never had the Sega Channel, so it was fun to listen to this podcast while doing stuff around the house:

I think it's time to accept that Sonic Forces did better sales wise than Mania:

With it's simple but polished gameplay and character creator, it was probably quite popular with the younger crowd. Even taking PSN into account, those figures are pretty impressive. Isn't Generations still stuck on the PS3? If so, then those 63k new players is even more impressive.

Although I want them to go in a completely different direction, I would enjoy a Forces 2 announcement just for the salt!

SEGAbits don't take into account that Sonic Forces got the PS+treatment that month.

Mania got it a few months before to be fair.

Gotta say, the 2nd chapter of yakuza 5 is kinda lame. I was under the impression 5 was considered one of the best ones in the series, but so far I've had more fun with 0, kiwami 1 and 2, and even 3. 4 and 5 both suffer from having too many playable characters, but that's just me.

Just beat it this weekend and I have to agree. I really enjoyed it of course, but:

- Too many playable characters and I really don't enjoy fighting as Saejima or Shinada. Akiyama still super fun thankfully.

- Too many locales. Would've rather they focused on Hokkaido, for example. The hunting village was fantastic. Fukuoka and Nagoya were forgettable.

- I liked the Haruka section (Park was a great character), but three rounds of Princess League was excessive.

- Too long and bloated. This was the Dark Souls 2 of the series for me.

Why on Earth was the final battle against Aizawa? Total non sequitur and lame.

Funny you mention "even 3". It was short, but man did I get attached to Rikiya. It was very effective once the story got going and Okinawa was a fantastic locale.

Last edited:

Kazza

It feels that it's been a quiet year for Sega, but they have actually had some impressive games come out this year:

I just hope that P5R, Sakura Wars and 13 Sentinels all get released for PC next year.

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
It feels that it's been a quiet year for Sega, but they have actually had some impressive games come out this year:

I just hope that P5R, Sakura Wars and 13 Sentinels all get released for PC next year.

Sadly none of these games are made by Sega themselves. (outside one)

RIP Sakura Wars franchise.

Kazza

I count two developed in-house (Yakuza and Sakura). SoR2 was also outsourced back in the 90s, so I don't see much difference with SoR4 in that respect. They missed the Panzer Dragoon Remake. Also, there are rumours of a new Super Monkey Ball coming this December:

Kazza

I wonder did SEGA ever hint at when they might announce the new 3D Sonic game?

It's generally assumed that we'll get one for the 30th anniversary in 2021. There are events planned for that year, but nothing has been confirmed 100%. Late 2021 would be 4 years since Mania and Forces (how time flies!) so it seems reasonable to assume that something will be ready by then. I wonder if they'll stick to the boost gameplay, or go for something completely different?

Puyo Puyo Tetris 2 releases on December 8th 2020 at the price of $40 across current gen and Stadia!!!!

Gematsu revealed it an hour ago!!!

It is Puyo Puyo and Streets of Rage 4 30th Anniversaries as well.

Damn...it is Ristar's 25th now!?!?!

Movie line should also say "Only time a Sonic Series beat Pokemon in Sales and Revenue" as it is not a lie!!!

Last edited:
It's generally assumed that we'll get one for the 30th anniversary in 2021. There are events planned for that year, but nothing has been confirmed 100%. Late 2021 would be 4 years since Mania and Forces (how time flies!) so it seems reasonable to assume that something will be ready by then. I wonder if they'll stick to the boost gameplay, or go for something completely different?
Yeah, it's certainly been a while. It would be cool to see the return of Adventure zones. I always liked that aspect of Sonic Adventure and how it felt like you were part of an interconnected world, not just moving from one action stage to the next. Probably won't ever happen though the more that I think about it.

Skies of Arcadia 2. Sega. Still waiting.
There was a time when I thought they no longer have the capacity to make games of that scale, but Sakura Wars and Valkyria Chronicles 4 tells me they do.

Besides what Kazza mentioned, Persona being developed by Atlus may as well be internal. They're part of Sega now, they way Enix became part of Square. The Atlus of old went bankrupt, the current one exists thanks to Sega who bought them. Their western branch localizes the Yakuza games now.

Kazza

Skies of Arcadia 2. Sega. Still waiting.
There was a time when I thought they no longer have the capacity to make games of that scale, but Sakura Wars and Valkyria Chronicles 4 tells me they do.

While not AAAA, Sakura Wars and VC4 still had decent budgets and didn't look or feel cheap at all. I think most people would be satisfied if a similar budget were afforded to a SoA sequel.

Komatsu

Yakuza Kiwami is a masterpiece - about to finish it and, man, what a fun game. Sakura Wars PS4 also sold really well in Japan, so I do not think for a second the franchise is dead. This has been a good year for SEGA, overall. And we've got Yakuza 7 and Phantasy Star Online 2: Next Generation to look forward to.

Kazza

There have been complaints about the new $70 price tag on some next gen games, but check out that $79.99 on Phantasy Star 2. Ouch!

Wasn't that the one where they included an entire walkthrough book? Although done to add value, it probably had the opposite effect, making the first playthrough of the game go so much quicker, so lessening its value.

Can anyone identify the game playing in the background? The music and sound effects sound familiar, but I can't quite place it.

Last edited:
Can anyone identify the game playing in the background? The music and sound effects sound familiar, but I can't quite place it.

It sounds like Sonic to me, but 1990 would be a bit too early unless they got the year wrong. Really familiar.

Ghouls N Ghosts?? That would make sense.

Edit: Yeah the latter, I'm pretty convinced. Sonic has distinct music we'd recognize much more easily.

Last edited:

Kazza

It sounds like Sonic to me, but 1990 would be a bit too early unless they got the year wrong. Really familiar.

Ghouls N Ghosts?? That would make sense.

Edit: Yeah the latter, I'm pretty convinced. Sonic has distinct music we'd recognize much more easily.

Yep, I'm pretty sure you got it. Those are all early Genesis era games, so definitely not Sonic (plus no ring collection sounds). The sound effects sound very G&G too.

Last edited:
Pretty sure I got my Genesis that Christmas with G&G. Still one of the hardest games I've ever played, it's so unforgiving :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Really strange to think of the pre-Sonic era now. I remember being glued to the Altered Beast demo in the store when the console was first released in NA.

Kazza

Pretty sure I got my Genesis that Christmas with G&G. Still one of the hardest games I've ever played, it's so unforgiving :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Really strange to think of the pre-Sonic era now. I remember being glued to the Altered Beast demo in the store when the console was first released in NA.

I still have a huge amount of nostalgia and affection for that pre-Sonic era. G&G, Castle of Illusion, Hellfire, Mystic Defender, Revenge of Shinobi...

Although later games would become more polished, with bigger carts and clever graphical effects, there was something special about those first couple of years. I guess the console just felt more "next gen" during that period. It was before the SNES after all.

Kazza

Virtua Racing was $100. A lot of games were over $50 when they were now. I paid $65 for Revenge of Shinobi and Golden Axe.

I seem to remember the SNES SFII costing a small fortune (I think the Megadrive version wasn't too much cheaper either). All that isn't even taking inflation into account!

Tuff McNutt

I seem to remember the SNES SFII costing a small fortune (I think the Megadrive version wasn't too much cheaper either). All that isn't even taking inflation into account!

SNES games tended to be more expensive. $70 was pretty common for new release titles. Hell, even Ms. Pac Man is $40 in the ad below!

One of my first jobs was at Toys R Us making minimum wage of $4.25/hour, and it was common that getting a game would eat up most of my paycheck, even with the employee discount.

C2GtgJA.jpg

Last edited:

Kazza

SNES games tended to be more expensive. $70 was pretty common for new release titles. Hell, even Ms. Pac Man is $40 in the ad below!

One of my first jobs was at Toys R Us making minimum wage of $4.25/hour, and it was common that getting a game would eat up most of my paycheck, even with the employee discount.

C2GtgJA.jpg

Yeah, just taking a quick look at an old UK magazine, SNES games seem to have been more expensive here too (maybe Nintendo took a bigger cut, or maybe it was the extra chips commonly found in their cartridges):

LueH6mZ.png

Of course, it was the Neo Geo that was the stuff of dreams back then:

n5x6wfm.png

This ad made me laugh:

JKh0wZK.png

"Super sexy, lean mean street machine" makes no sense on any level whatsoever! I miss the 90s :messenger_loudly_crying:

What's everyone's favorite SEGA game? I have a lot of respect for Rieko Kodama and the Overworks staff for their work on Skies of Arcadia. It's one of the few RPGs I've completed to 100℅.

Kodama is amazing and I am happy she is still there!!!

Probably:

Streets of Rage 2
Valkyria Chronicles 1
7th Dragon 3
Sonic the Hedgehog 2
Outrun 2
Binary Domain
Yakuza 0
Fantasy Zone
Puyo Puyo Tetris
Phantasy Star 4

Sorry, page error as I noticed this is an old post. But might as well list my faves!!

Anyone buying Herzog Zwei from SEGA AGES?

Last edited:
Of your list, this is the only one I haven't played. I'm currently trawling ebay for a 3DS, so I might give it a try. It's a dungeon crawler, right?

Yeah kind of. It plays sort of like Phantasy Star. Battles are in First Person View but attacks are in third person.

You get a separate assist tool to keep your party's HP up, lower encounter rates etc which you need to replenish at the HQ.

The aim of the game is to kill all Dragons (Mini Bosses) with about 40 side quests along the way.

I loved the story despite it being simple. Post game is brutal though so I wish to get back into it and form a true strategy.

Make sure you level up your Parties though (you get 3) as you will have to use the back ups at certain parts of the game, that could soft lock you into resetting otherwise.

One Dragon requires the Immune to Death at 50% Accessory as it can OHKO your party with certain attacks too.

Last edited:

MadeManG74

Neo Member
Who else is super excited for Virtua Fighter news?
I'm hoping it's going to be a two part project starting with a port of the old games to every platform, then maybe a sequel down the line.

In the meantime I've put together a highlight reel for the Australian community's moments in Virtua Fighter over the last few years;

Kazza

Who else is super excited for Virtua Fighter news?
I'm hoping it's going to be a two part project starting with a port of the old games to every platform, then maybe a sequel down the line.

In the meantime I've put together a highlight reel for the Australian community's moments in Virtua Fighter over the last few years;

I'm a bit fed up with these kind of "no gameplay" reveals tbh. I'll only start to get hyped once we see gameplay and know what kind of game this is going to be.

Even though I'm not a massive fighting game fan in general, I do like Virtua Fighter. I played a lot of 1 and 2 on my Saturn and have 5 on my Xbox 360. I haven't had a chance to play much of 5 so far, but hopefully that should change soon. I think the graphics have still held up really well.

Thabass

Puyo Puyo Tetris 2 releases on December 8th 2020 at the price of $40 across current gen and Stadia!!!!

Gematsu revealed it an hour ago!!!

It is Puyo Puyo and Streets of Rage 4 30th Anniversaries as well.

Damn...it is Ristar's 25th now!?!?!

Movie line should also say "Only time a Sonic Series beat Pokemon in Sales and Revenue" as it is not a lie!!!

Hell it's on track to be one the best grossing movies this year.

Due to COVID

Kazza

Hell it's on track to be one the best grossing movies this year.

Due to COVID

I don't know, covid kind of messed up Sonic a bit too. While it was lucky enough to release before the pandemic hit in the west, it came too late for Asia and it's Chinese box office was really underwhelming (I guess whoever wanted to see it already watched it online there, plus a lot of people were still iffy about going to the cinema).

I finally saw the film last week on a flight, and I thought it was ok, nothing special. It was more aimed at kids anyway, but adults can get something out of it too.

Thabass

I don't know, covid kind of messed up Sonic a bit too. While it was lucky enough to release before the pandemic hit in the west, it came too late for Asia and it's Chinese box office was really underwhelming (I guess whoever wanted to see it already watched it online there, plus a lot of people were still iffy about going to the cinema).

I finally saw the film last week on a flight, and I thought it was ok, nothing special. It was more aimed at kids anyway, but adults can get something out of it too.

For what it was, I thought it was pretty great. I was expecting the worst. Maybe because I went in with lowered expectations, it turned out to be a pretty great movie that had a lot of Sonic elements (even if for a short time on some of them (see: Echindas)).

But, yeah, I know it was one of the highest grossing films (domestically) this year a month or two back. Could change now that some theaters are opening again. But, how wild would that be if Sonic got that spot lmao.

MadeManG74

Neo Member
I'm a bit fed up with these kind of "no gameplay" reveals tbh. I'll only start to get hyped once we see gameplay and know what kind of game this is going to be.

Even though I'm not a massive fighting game fan in general, I do like Virtua Fighter. I played a lot of 1 and 2 on my Saturn and have 5 on my Xbox 360. I haven't had a chance to play much of 5 so far, but hopefully that should change soon. I think the graphics have still held up really well.

I agree the teasers are a bit weak, but it's exciting to see that they are officially working on the franchise again, after years of nothing but rumours.
I'm personally hoping it's ports of the existing games first.

Nothing to do but wait and see. I hope offline events are back in Australia soon so I can get to playing VF5FS with friends again at regular meetups.

Top Bottom