• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF SEGA Community Thread |OT| To be this good takes AGES

lachesis

For me, it's really hard to nail down single game as my favorite. I love many of them - but I think in general... I think I was in love of the sheer variety of their offerings, and a lot of unique experiences and maniacal nature of those games.

Compared to Nintendo - which is more focused in sure-fire family friendly gems - but Sega had covered in all spectrum of games - and quite a lot of them are just hidden gems. Sometimes lacking in depth but brilliant in ideas, sometimes hard-hitting mainstream big hits, sometimes just sheer maniacal niche games - I just loved and was always surprised of things they thought up - even though some of them were not that great, or just sheer copy of what Nintendo or some other popular franchises were hot in those days.

And to me, it rather pains me to see the Sega - just doesn't seem to commit themselves as much in experimental and maniacal games like old days - and that's what saddens me. Sure they have hits like Yakuza and whatnot (such as RPG heavy hitter like Atlus) - but I would love to see more works, especially the franchises from Smilebit and Overworks of the old... and a brand new Virtua Fighter.

TwoHearted

Neo Member
my first console was the NES and I fondly remember playing contra and kirbys adventure fairly religiously. I upgraded to the Genesis, never had the SNES and man was it awesome. I had Sega channel which opened my world up to so many new games and genres. Lots of fond memories. I actually remember disliking phantasy star and any strategy/turn based game’s.

I was obsessed with dynamite headdy and the lion king game, most of my memories are of those two games, also played a lot of earthworm Jim and of course sonic 2 and sonic spinball, world of illusion coop with my cousin, and kicking ass in road rage!

i had no idea what any of the add ons were when I was a kid, I didn’t know anyone that had a master system or a Saturn. I jumped from that to my obsession with Pokémon on the gameboy color and my n64. I didn’t even really know what a Dreamcast was till a friend gave me one in 2005.

so many good memories from that genesis though. I love Sega, it’s too bad a lot of the Genesis IP’s are kind of lost in translation.

drganon

All I have left is yakuza 5 and I'll have beaten every yakuza game, not counting 7 which hasn't come out yet in the west. Speaking of 5, is it just me or are the enemies tougher? I haven't gotten far yet even low level guys seem to block more and try to grab you more than other games? That and the story is starting really, really slow. People seem to consider 5 to be one of the best ones, but I'm not feeling that way as of yet.

I'm wondering if Virtua Fighter 6 might already be in development (or pre-production) for the next generation? It's kind of crazy to think it's been 13 years since the original console release of Virtua Fighter 5. I'm also curious what it might look like running on a new engine, assuming SEGA would give it a big enough budget and whatnot. With other fighting IPs like Tekken, Street Fighter, Guilty Gear etc. still going strong it would be really cool to see a new Virtua Fighter by AM2.

Glad to see this OT come to life! (I planned one last year but decided not to).

SEGA are in an excellent position right now and should be able to leverage their IPs from their many divisions, both internally at SEGA itself (and Technosoft games) and via ATLUS/Career Soft to ensure they have big games coming out at least bi-yearly.

Top 5 SEGA games for me (Excluding ATLUS):

Sonic the Hedgehog 2
7th Dragon III
Streets of Rage 2
Valkyria Chronicles
Binary Domain

My favourite franchises Arcade wise are:

Virtual On
OutRun
Fantasy Zone
Puyo Puyo

I think people tend to forget SEGAs underrated Shmup before Thunder Force.

VZPXipD.jpg

Arrow Flash is something all shmup fans should have in their SEGA Collection as it seems overlooked despite being a sequel to Transbot.

There is always something new to find with SEGA as they made that many games! Probably have even more original games than Nintendo, SNK and Capcom combined if we really dwelved into their history. Sadly because they make so many original games they tend to be spread too thinly.

shmuU8t.jpg

tJAWlf3.jpg

Most of my collection but I do have more!

I played Phantasy Star via the SEGA AGES on Switch and I was pleasantly surprised at how well it holds up! Amazing 8 Bit game that is so so far advanced for its time. It is a damn shame that it gets ignored over Final Fantasy really and I do love FF myself.

Looking reflectively though, Phantasy Star is one of SEGAs oldest Franchises that still gets releases even if it is in a spin off form. It would be nice for SEGA to make a new series in the main Phantasy Star but on another Solar System given the series itself never stays on one particular Galaxy.

Last edited:

Kazza

Really? I thought the first Yakuza was incredibly janky, to be honest. The Kiwami remake did wonders.

I should probably add a little context - I pretty much gave up console gaming from 1998 to 2016, so my brain was still stuck in the PS1/Saturn/N64 era when I played it 3/4 years back. I thought it looked pretty next-gen! I don't really mind the camera angles too much. It was kind of like you were watching the action through Kumarocho's CCTV system. I suppose the loading times between battles were a little long, but I enjoyed the whole presentation, like the way it described the enemies with the pretty handwriting and symbols.

Glad to see this OT come to life! (I planned one last year but decided not to).

SEGA are in an excellent position right now and should be able to leverage their IPs from their many divisions, both internally at SEGA itself (and Technosoft games) and via ATLUS/Career Soft to ensure they have big games coming out at least bi-yearly.

Top 5 SEGA games for me (Excluding ATLUS):

Sonic the Hedgehog 2
7th Dragon III
Streets of Rage 2
Valkyria Chronicles
Binary Domain

My favourite franchises Arcade wise are:

Virtual On
OutRun
Fantasy Zone
Puyo Puyo

I think people tend to forget SEGAs underrated Shmup before Thunder Force.

VZPXipD.jpg

Arrow Flash is something all shmup fans should have in their SEGA Collection as it seems overlooked despite being a sequel to Transbot.

There is always something new to find with SEGA as they made that many games! Probably have even more original games than Nintendo, SNK and Capcom combined if we really dwelved into their history. Sadly because they make so many original games they tend to be spread too thinly.

shmuU8t.jpg

tJAWlf3.jpg

Most of my collection but I do have more!

I played Phantasy Star via the SEGA AGES on Switch and I was pleasantly surprised at how well it holds up! Amazing 8 Bit game that is so so far advanced for its time. It is a damn shame that it gets ignored over Final Fantasy really and I do love FF myself.

Looking reflectively though, Phantasy Star is one of SEGAs oldest Franchises that still gets releases even if it is in a spin off form. It would be nice for SEGA to make a new series in the main Phantasy Star but on another Solar System given the series itself never stays on one particular Galaxy.

Nice collection! It looks specially curated according to your own tastes rather than just a bunch of games bought in order to complete a collection.Never heard of Arrow Flash before. It looks decent from the youtube longplay I saw.

Those rounded Japanese Megadrive cartridges really hit me in the nostalgia feels. I would like to own a Japanese Megadrive game again, even if I no longer have the hardware to play it. I took a look at Shadow Dancer on ebay a while back (great box art), but the Japanese version has gotten pretty expensive. Anyone here got any recommendations for Japanese Megadrive games with nice box art which are still pretty cheap?

Last edited:

Dazrael

I remember the Japanese MD Shadow Dancer going for £5 around 15 - 20 years ago, it was always one of the cheapest games. Times have changed.

Kazza

I remember the Japanese MD Shadow Dancer going for £5 around 15 - 20 years ago, it was always one of the cheapest games. Times have changed.

The cheapest I'm seeing on ebay right now is £55 (including P&P). :lollipop_sad_relieved: The longer time goes on, the more I regret getting rid of all my old stuff. I can't remember exactly what I did with my Megadrive, Mega CD and 30+ games, but I think I likely traded them in to some shop for a single new Saturn game (or maybe just sold the lot at a car boot sale for £50) :messenger_pouting:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Great thread! I've been a big fan of Sega since the 16-bit days. I think the first Sega game I ever played was Altered Beast in the Arcades. When I was a kid it felt evil, but I kind of liked it. We ending up getting a Sega Genesis Sports Pack with Joe Montana football. So many good games on the system. I especially loved stuff like Sonic 2, Streets of Rage 3, Road Rash 3, Comix Zone, and Golden Axe.

I later got a Sega Nomad, which I just adored. Sucked up batteries like nothing, but I mainly used it plugged into the wall. Also had a Game Gear, Sega CD, Dreamcast, and later picked up a Saturn. Dreamcast was just incredible. Being able to play online was crazy for a console at the time. Loved games like Shenmue, Soul Calibur, DOA 2, MvC 2, and many others. I miss having Sega in the hardware game. Their hardware and 1st-party game always felt fast and hardcore.

Last edited:

Dazrael

The cheapest I'm seeing on ebay right now is £55 (including P&P). :lollipop_sad_relieved: The longer time goes on, the more I regret getting rid of all my old stuff. I can't remember exactly what I did with my Megadrive, Mega CD and 30+ games, but I think I likely traded them in to some shop for a single new Saturn game (or maybe just sold the lot at a car boot sale for £50) :messenger_pouting:

Same here, I used to have most of the choice titles across all platforms: Vampire Killer, Alien Soldier, Hyper Duel, Delisoba Deluxe, Taromaru, Gaia Seed, Sylphia, Judgement Silversword, etc and I sold them all for relative pittance at the wrong time. If I sold them now I’d be a rich man, the wonders of hindsight eh.

Nice collection! It looks specially curated according to your own tastes rather than just a bunch of games bought in order to complete a collection.Never heard of Arrow Flash before. It looks decent from the youtube longplay I saw.

Those rounded Japanese Megadrive cartridges really hit me in the nostalgia feels. I would like to own a Japanese Megadrive game again, even if I no longer have the hardware to play it. I took a look at Shadow Dancer on ebay a while back (great box art), but the Japanese version has gotten pretty expensive. Anyone here got any recommendations for Japanese Megadrive games with nice box art which are still pretty cheap?

Thanks! And yeah I tend to sell off games I don't enjoy mostly.

The Sonic games are inside my Sonic Mania Box! XD

I discovered it years ago anf it does have a Western Release but the Artwork is terrible on the US one.

I own a Region Free Mega Drive that I need fixing as the Capacitator has gone I think.

Probably New Zealand Story as it goes for between £30 to 50.

Oh, man, you have my holy grail: Panzer Dragoon Saga. Almost bought it for $30 USD back in the day and now it's 600 USD. LOL

I actually got it back in 2012 for £96! 😂😂

I own Cotton 2 as well for £62!!! As well as Burning Rangers for £40 and Dragon Force for £90.

Last edited:

Kazza

Some nice photos of an empty nighttime Akihabara (otherwise known as Kamurocho from Yakuza):

ae-1.png
ae-4.png

ae-2.png
ae-3.png

According to the article, this isn't due to the coronavrius, and is actually quite normal for the area at night. As someone added:

“It’s like one of the Yakuza video games has rendered the environment, but the developers haven’t added the NPCs yet.”

Taking a stroll around there is definitely on my list of things to do when I go to Japan.

drganon

Gotta say, the 2nd chapter of yakuza 5 is kinda lame. I was under the impression 5 was considered one of the best ones in the series, but so far I've had more fun with 0, kiwami 1 and 2, and even 3. 4 and 5 both suffer from having too many playable characters, but that's just me.

Nearing the end of Shining Force: The Sword of Hadja and I got to say the game plays almost like the Mega Drive versions!!!

Shocked that SEGA never put them on the Master System as they look and play really really well and hold up to even Phantasy Star!!!

What lets it down is the PSG sadly but if only SEGA released the Master System with the FM Synth in the first place for the west to enjoy!!!

Seriously, blows my mind what an 8-bit console can do sometimes.

Last edited:

Kazza

Any here played SEGA Superstars Tennis before? It sounds like it should be a great game - Sega's Virtua Tennis is generally accepted as among the best tennis games ever, and it should be even more fun with Sega characters added in (the special moves look interesting).

Kazza

A House of the Dead thread, in case anyone missed it:

Fat Frog

I advertised for Google Stadia
Sonic just grossed 140 millions dollars in the US and will Beat Pikachu (144) next week.

It's time to unveil the Sonic "Cycle - Cycle":

-Nolifes post Sonic Cycle every 5 years.
-Almost nobody cares.
-They claim Sonic is over.
-Sonic keeps breaking records.

2-600x352.jpg

latest

Last edited:
What's some music from SEGA games that are nostalgic for you? I always liked Sonic Adventure for its open-ended areas, particularly Station Square and Mystic Ruins. They were all unique and interesting and playing through them at a time when that kind of level design still felt fresh was pretty cool.

Komatsu

Flowing River, Light of the Moon is such an incredible track - it's a pity SF3 is such an underplayed game.

Anniversaries of SEGA Franchises.

Ristar (1995) 25th
Comix Zone (1995) 25th
Vectorman (1995) 25th
Yakuza (2005) 15th
Phantasy Star Online (2000) 20th
Shenmue (1999) 21st
Chu Chu Rocket (1999) 21st
Panzer Dragoon (1995) 25th
Jet Set Radio (2000) 20th
Space Channel 5 (1999) 21st
Project Rub (2004) 16th
Skies of Arcadia (2000) 20th
GunValkyrie (2002) 18th
Vanquish (2010) 10th
G-LOC (1990) 30th
Samba de Amigo (2000) 20th
Growlanser (1999) 21st
Modern SEGA Logo (1975) 45th
Company Foundation (1960) 60th

Last edited:

Fat Frog

Anniversaries of SEGA Franchises.

Ristar (1995) 25th
Comix Zone (1995) 25th
Vectorman (1995) 25th
Yakuza (2005) 15th
Phantasy Star Online (2000) 20th
Shenmue (1999) 21st
Chu Chu Rocket (1999) 21st
Panzer Dragoon (1995) 25th
Jet Set Radio (2000) 20th
Space Channel 5 (1999) 21st
Project Rub (2004) 16th
Skies of Arcadia (2000) 20th
GunValkyrie (2002) 18th
Vanquish (2010) 10th
G-LOC (1990) 30th
Samba de Amigo (2000) 20th
Growlanser (1999) 21st
Modern SEGA Logo (1975) 45th
Company Foundation (1960) 60th
G-Lock, Vanquish, Space Channel, PSO were not forgotten in 2020.

Jet set Radio and SOA are good contenders for Sega Fes 2020 :)

Kazza

Any thoughts on Madworld. It was its 10th anniversary yesterday.

I have a copy back in the UK and hope to play it when I get back. It looks like some fun (and stylish) mindless violence.

Fat Frog

I have a copy back in the UK and hope to play it when I get back. It looks like some fun (and stylish) mindless violence.

Sega definetely needs to give Mad World, Infinite Space, Anarchy Reigns a HD Remaster like Bayonetta and Vanquish.

It would be cheaper than producing New games or entire different New series.
We don't have datas for Yakuza on X-Box yet but remasters have proven their strenght lately. (Some Yakuza games passed 500K on PC which is near PlayStation's sales)

On top of that, it would be a triple gain since Microsoft, Sony are now playing the full backward compatibility card which means publishers don't need to pay anymore for any further ports. (Like PS 5, PS6 every 5 years.)
More money, less port begging by angry fans...

No more" Panzer Dragoon Orta port when, mister Sega ?" on X Box Series X ? Or "I want Dragon Kiwami 2 Engine on Steam" because OG Orta is already 10 dollars in 4K on X Box on X(soon on Series X)and Dragon Engine ready for 16K, 120 FPS on Steam. From now, except maybe for Nintendo consoles, Sega Ports will be future proof and godamm' easy cash. In fact, the last Sega financial report said old Sega Games (ports)were selling well.

Let's go, Sega.

Mad World, Infinite Space, Anarchy Reigns future proof ports on PC, current consoles (which will be backward compatible for ever)

Plus, New Sega Racing games (2010), Sega Fighter Megamix by AM2 both featuring Majima, Selvaria, Bayonetta, Blaze, Tyris, Alys...

Last edited:

I think you mean 11th. 🤣🤣

Got it for £2 at ASDA back in 2013 and got stuck on one of the bosses as one enemy can OHKO you.

I will get back to it someday but I did enjoy it!!!

SEGA Music of the week for me.

515 Hours (Virtual On Force)

By the way, I have been doing a large database on a theoretical SEGA and Friends Ultimate Racing game which tries to go as deep and wide into SEGA's history as possible, but also has guest Franchises from ATLUS/Vanillaware/Cotton as well as stuff like Keio's Flying Squadron that either stayed or mostly stayed on SEGA's Hardware exclusively.

I have about 30 Tracks on it (10 Retro from Transformed and ASR), 12 Arenas and 50 Characters on it with theoretical DLC of more Arenas/Characters/Tracks on it.

Each Track has 5 Songs from Various SEGA franchises (of course Sonic has the majority but I have chose songs that would suit the Racetracks) and 3 Songs for Arenas because at the end of the day, SEGA made a load of great tracks, from Sonic to Yakuza to Fantasy Zone to Segagaga. I wouldn't be surprised if I have referenced over 70 SEGA franchises big or small in it. Looking for the music has been more fun than I realised as I scour for hidden gems and known hits.

I will give you an example of 3 I have done.

Racing TrackFranchiseDifficultySong 1Song 2Song 3Song 4Song 5
PalmaPhantasy StarEasyDungeon Theme (Remix)Tower (Remix)Time Will Change ~Space Remix~ (Persona 5)Rise & Fall (Phantasy Star 2)Battle Theme Remix (Phantasy Star 4)
Soft MuseumNiGHTS Into DreamsMediumSoft Museum (Remix)Paternal Horn (ASRT Remix)Reala ThemeGreen Hill Zone Remix (Sonic the HedgehogMy Mashu (Roommate 203)
The Ancients LandPanzer DragoonEasyFlight (ASTR Remix)Battle Theme Remix (Panzer Dragoon Saga)Mirage Saloon Act 1 ~ST Mix~ (Sonic Mania)Battle for Justice II (Chain Chronicle)Blooming VIllian(Persona 5)

Two Arenas:

Battle ArenaFranchiseNotesSong 1Song 2Song 3
Automation StationVirtual OnStage takes on various Virtual On Levels and layouts every minuteIn the Blue SkySweet Tragedy of DreamsMad Gear (Sonic 4 Ep.1)
Ghirlandio FortressValkyria ChroniclesBroken Tanks are stacked in the middle of the track, leaving racers to move around them to attack one anotherClose CombatSquad E Marches OnBoss Battle ~VC Remix (Sands of Destruction)

Last edited:

Komatsu

Guys, PSO2's OPEN BETA is finally starting... the day after tomorrow!! With half of America shut in because of the COVID19 quarantine and the kids off school for at least another couple of weeks... It's going to be great. Looking forward to another generation getting hooked on PSO.

Guys, PSO2's OPEN BETA is finally starting... the day after tomorrow!! With half of America shut in because of the COVID19 quarantine and the kids off school for at least another couple of weeks... It's going to be great. Looking forward to another generation getting hooked on PSO.

Spread the word online and it should surely get a decent boost in numbers in the US!

Sounds sad to capitalise on something, but this would be a great chance for SEGA to get the word out there for people stuck at home!!!

Kazza

I wasn't even going to bother to watch this, as there were already a million such videos around the time of the release of the Megadrive Mini, but the guests he has on to talk about their favourite Megadrive games are pretty top notch (including Tom Kalinske, John Linneman, Gamesack, the creator of Ecco and Chakan the Forever Man...):

I almost spit out my coffee when I heard Kalinske say that Fantasia was a "great game" though :messenger_unamused: . It was the most disappointing purchase of my life. His selections are interesting, but they mostly come from a business perspective, with John Montana Football (sold better than Madden, apparently), Sonic 2, the aforementioned Fantasia (which got Sega a sweet deal with Disney for agreeing to cancel it just as it was released...)

Perhaps the silhouette is an alternate costume for Akira. I think they're going to announce Virtua Fighter 6 as opposed to it being a reboot.

Last edited:

Kazza

Hmm, looking at the website for that teaser, it has "segashiro" in the title, so probably has something to do with Segata Sanshiro. Looking at the picture, maybe they are going to relaunch the character using a younger actor.

It looks like they have yet to announce Sega FES this year too but this could either be a new Virtua Fighter or Saturn Mini. Apparently it's hard to properly emulate the latter because of the Saturn's complex architecture. According to Hiroyuki Miyazaki, "maybe in 10 years", lol.

Kazza

A nice video giving a comprehensive analysis of Sonic music. It's a long one at 1 hour and 40 minutes, but hey, everyone has plenty of time on their hands these days anyway, right? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Komatsu

I'm having such a great time playing PSO2 on the XB1X that I decided to play through Episodes I & II again on my Dreamcast - offline of course.

What a great game PSO is... Truly ahead of its time, with a fantastic OST to boot.

Kev Kev

just realized i could play shining force 1 and 2 on my phone (with ads) and i am super excited... just wish the controls felt better. oh well, they work well enough for free.

Top Bottom