• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Movies of the Year 2016 Results

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmmm, I still need to check out Zootopia, The Witch, Manchester, Nice Guys, and The Handmaiden. Solid list, I would probably swap La La Land and Arrival personally, though.

Kazaam

I should've made another special mention for Documentary. Usually this is a genre that misses out on the top simply due to being non-fiction, but we had some strong numbers for some documentaries like OJ: Made in America with 21 votes and 146 points making it basically NeoGaf's Documentary of 2016. Some other notable documentaries that made the list (some with less votes): 13th, Fuocoammare (Fire at Sea), Safari, Austerlitz, I Am Not Your Negro, One More Time With Feeling, El Viento Sabe Que Vuelvo A Casa, Eagles of Death Metal: Nos Amis and others I'm probably forgetting right now. All of them in my opinion if not essential viewing, at least worthy of one. So don't knock off films in the lower part of the list.

01. Arrival - RT 94%
02. La La Land - RT 93%
03. Moonlight - RT 97%
04. Zootopia - RT 98%
05. The Witch - RT 91%
06. Manchester by the Sea - RT 96%
07. The Nice Guys - RT 92%
08. The Handmaiden - RT 94%
09. Captain America: Civil War - RT 90%
** Rogue One: A Star Wars Story - RT 85%
10. Deadpool - RT 84%

That's a really solid top ten...er, eleven. All certified fresh films. And I got quoted twice! (one for Arrival, one for Rogue One) That's pretty neat too :) Thanks for the hard work Kazaam!

big ander

Not a bad list, at least the superhero stuff is at the bottom of the top 10.
I should've made another special mention for Documentary. Usually this is a genre that misses out on the top simply due to being non-fiction, but we had some strong numbers for some documentaries like OJ: Made in America with 21 votes and 146 points making it basically NeoGaf's Documentary of 2016. Some other notable documentaries that made the list (some with less votes): 13th, Fuocoammare (Fire at Sea), Safari, Austerlitz, I Am Not Your Negro, One More Time With Feeling, El Viento Sabe Que Vuelvo A Casa, Eagles of Death Metal: Nos Amis and others I'm probably forgetting right now. All of them in my opinion if not essential viewing, at least worthy of one. So don't knock off films in the lower part of the list.

Cameraperson was a fantastic one too. (p.s. thanks for compiling!)

Spladam

Great job OP.

I did not like Arrival, do I have bad taste? What do I know, I'm only an A.I. with poor empathy skills.
Deadpool should have been much higher, as in #1 higher.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Warcraft with only two votes on a gaming site. 😳

I'm a huge WoW nerd and a big fan of Duncan Jones as a person and a director, but even I just thought Warcraft was an okay film, and that's a generous opinion based on what others thought of it.

Pachimari

Nice list. I don't agree with Arrival though. That was an average sci-fi movie. Glad to see Civil War on there, and that 10 Cloverfield Lane were high up as well. Deadpool shouldn't have been in the Top 10.

Farmboy

Good top ten. Some of those 11 films weren't my personal favorites but they're all good watches at the least. Fine job, hive mind!

Still: Hell or High Water and Jungle Book both deserved top ten spots.

Mr. Sam

It doesn't resemble my own - at all - but 'tis a fine top ten, English. Thanks for the work.

I really ought to see The Handmaiden, otherwise I've seen everything else.

Genuinely surprised at great films being in the top ranks and not blockbuster flicks that nearly everyone here went to see. Also surprised to see both of my reviews in the OP even though my list was near the end of the deadline! :p

hiredhand

I think the most surprising thing about the list is superhero film rankings:
Civil War > Deadpool > Doctor Strange > Batman v Superman > Suicide Squad > X-Men

I would have thought Deadpool would beat Civil War. It's also weird that X-Men ranks below both DC films. Surely it isn't that bad.

overcast

Thanks for doing this. Pretty solid list except for Deadpool, Civil War, and Rogue One making the list. Zootopia is too high imo.

Stoze

I should've voted, I saw a decent amount of stuff last year. Arrival was great, but Manchester by the Sea really got to me.

I thought Nice Guys was disappointing (I loved KKBB) and I can't exactly remember why. It was like the editing and the pacing was completely off or something.

Mr. Sam

It's also weird that X-Men ranks below both DC films. Surely it isn't that bad.

It's pretty fucking bad, particularly coming off of Days of Future Past, but I think the main takeaway should be that none of those three films are worth watching.

Brakke

Banned
Damn 10 Cloverfield got robbed. Definitely bumps one of those comic flicks or Rogue One.

Nice to see the Nice Guys get some respect.

I think the most surprising thing about the list is superhero film rankings:
Civil War > Deadpool > Doctor Strange > Batman v Superman > Suicide Squad > X-Men

I would have thought Deadpool would beat Civil War. It's also weird that X-Men ranks below both DC films. Surely it isn't that bad.

I'd rank it

Batman v Superman > Deadpool > Civil War > X-Men = Doctor Strange > Suicide Squad

I don't think any of them should have been in the top 10 tho or even top 20 (rogue one as well) but eh, at least they're at the bottom.

Wait, Safari is out? How did people see it? Thought it was only in festivals.

I just got Cameraperson in the mail, going to watch that. But that's a 2017 movie, right?

hiredhand

Documentaries face the same problem as many world cinema fiction films. People tend to see them too late because of the way they are distributed.

I think many more people will discover the top documentaries of last year once they hit the streaming services.

Gnome

The only disappointment is Hell or High Water not being in the top 10. Other than that, I'm proud y'all got the Handmaiden in the top 10, gorgeous movie.

Yeah, why aren't there some documentaries like Safari on streaming services already? Not everyone wants to go to the cinema to see a docu unless if it has great filmmaking.

WriterGK

01. Arrival - 1038 points (141 votes)
02. La La Land - 787 points (107 votes)
03. Moonlight - 603 points (80 votes)
04. Zootopia - 525 points (89 votes)
05. The Witch - 518 points (77 votes)
06. Manchester by the Sea - 482 (74 votes)
07. The Nice Guys - 468 points (78 votes)
08. The Handmaiden - 402 points (57 votes)
09. Captain America: Civil War - 399 points (66 votes)
** Rogue One: A Star Wars Story - 399 points (66 votes)
10. Deadpool - 379 points (72 votes)

Zootopia is the only one I haven't seen yet. Good list!!

Theecliff

Banned
oh no jackie ended up at 50th place with only 5 votes, i didn't realise so few people had seen it :'( a massive shame because it really was a great film, i hope it doesn't end up forgotten in a few years time. who were the other 4 people that voted for it?

Despera

Banned
Arrival? umm... Was 2016 THAT bad of a year for the medium?

The premise seemed incredible to me. Couldn't go to the theater faster when it first landed. It's the kind of film that should technically be up my alley, but after watching it turned out to be just decent.

Still haven't watched Manchester by The Sea, Hell or High Water or La La Land, but from what I watched the films that left an impression on me the most were Elle, Moonlight and The Witch.

Still going through films from last year. Just recently watched Nocturnal Animals which was good. Shin Godzilla was interesting but as a film felt disjointed and lacking finesse probably due to the director's inexperience. Swiss Army Man was worth watching just for how bizarre it was even if it wasn't that good overall.

As far as animated movies go I haven't seen Zootopia yet, but Kubo and The Two Strings was fascinating as it felt like the epitome of stop-motion filmmaking. Your Name had a great concept and had some amazing sequences, but devolved into a blue-balling fest near the end, delaying the inevitble.

vaderise

Great list and good to see many of my top choices making it to final 10.
Only dissapointing thing for me is Hacksaw Ridge not being on the top list.
Oh and haters , keep hating on those sweet Marvel/ Star Wars movies, you just can't deny they keep on winning!
Civil War and Rogue One along with Deadpool are great movies delivering the exact thing what audiences wamted from them.
Oh and i'm curious about how all the people eho hate these kind of movies will react when at least 3 of all the upcoming super hero movies and the Episode 8 will be on next year's top 10 list. Logan already has an %93 rating on RT and Taika Waititi and James Gunn are both directing Marvel movies which we all know they will deliver.

Gastone

Why? It's a fantastic movie.

So it would seem. I don't share that view, though (obviously). I enjoy musicals, and i love Moulin Rogue and Sweeney Todd, for example. Both of these films i felt had a far more interesting story to tell, better songs and better backdrops, sets and costume design etc.

La La Land was utterly forgettable for me. The instant the film finished i sat there with a feeling of having watched a film created solely for the purpose of showcasing the old days of Hollywood, and in the same time...BE about Hollywood. It's pure oscarbait. That's it. The characters were very generic, and i didn't feel the romance between Stone and Gosling were believable at all, and the general flow of this story was also lacking. I can appreciate the general plot/story concept, but i felt it was poorly executed. The ending was probably the only part i was somewhat happy with, since i'm a sucker for the more melancholic/depressing side of endings rather than the happy ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom