• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Games of the Fourth Generation Awards

Shizza

vm7wQ3b.png

(snip)

Really nice job man, and thanks for putting this together! It's been neat reading through everyone's personal favorites, and finding some games I haven't tried/heard of yet. It'll definitely check some of those titles out at some point!

Ultima VII's low place in this poll saddens me. It's sad to see how much RPGs before the mid-90s were forgotten. I guess the oldest PC games a lot of GAF seem to remember are from Lucasarts and id Software.

Unfortunately U7 doesn't really hold up very well from an interface, combat, graphics, etc perspective which I think has really limited the opportunity to people to experience the game after the fact. Whereas the Lucasarts adventure games hold up wonderfully which I think has given them a longer legacy.

Personally I would probably count U7 (and Serpent Isle) in my top 5 games ever list.

Good list...much better than the Gen 5 and Gen 6 lists imo. Obviously I have some minor quibbles (Chrono Trigger should be 1 or 2, Street Fighter 2 should be top 5, Links Awakening top 10, I prefer Sonic 2 to Sonic 3) but I like it overall. Somehow I missed the voting thread or I would have voted.

Disappointed to see so few PC games on there, but given GAF's console focus I'm not at all surprised.

It also seems like my vote wasn't properly counted (or I didn't vote properly), as Pool of Radiance (intended as a vote for the PC version, seems to have been noted as the Genesis one, but I never specified) is only noted as having one honourable mention and no votes, when I did vote for it.

Really surprised by the absence of Another World and Flashback: The Quest for Identity on that list (yes yes, avatar quote). Like not even in the genre specific lists? Goof Troop and Commander Keen are better games? Hopefully our sample space was just too small, cuz otherwise - you trippin' GAF.

Obviously a solid list, though far too SNES leaning for my tastes. I guess that vindicates that "Shameful" thread we had the other day :b

Lothar

Banned
I'm surprised to see Street Fighter 2 in the top ten. It's mostly there because it's innovative, right? In that case, shouldn't Final Fantasy 4 be well ahead of Final Fantasy 6?

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
I'm surprised to see Street Fighter 2 in the top ten. It's mostly there because it's innovative, right? In that case, shouldn't Final Fantasy 4 be well ahead of Final Fantasy 6?

Its there because its an awesome game, not that hard to understand imo.

Well it's there because it's a great game that's still fun to play, though if you're referring to Street Fighter 2 as in just specifically the original version of the game with the eight playable world warriors I think the usage of SF2 here is encompassing all its iterations from the era like turbo, new challengers and the various platforms/formats since it's not really a case of wholly different entries, just updates/tweaked versions.

With Final Fantasy they're all different games with 6 just being more popular than 4 in this case.

Sinople

I've been setting my eyes on this game for too long. No one seems to care about bringing it over, neither Konami nor the fan-translation scene.
I remember reading somewhere, not too long ago, that someone had at heart to do a fan-translation. However, the game being so huge and not that easy to translate, it will probably take a good while.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Really surprised by the absence of Another World and Flashback: The Quest for Identity on that list (yes yes, avatar quote). Like not even in the genre specific lists? Goof Troop and Commander Keen are better games? Hopefully our sample space was just too small, cuz otherwise - you trippin' GAF.

Based on the recent remake & port: Yes, Commander Keen is better :p
Of course, things like this are always quite subjective, considering the games are very, very different and hardly directly comparable. Personally, I found the mechanical side of Another World rather weak and I only care about gameplay, so I didn't enjoy the game all too much altogether

AniHawk

World Heroes Perfect as one of the winners in "Simulation"??

for whatever reason, the genre tab got extremely scrambled on the last day so i had to do my best to reorganize in a short amount of time, and i didn't catch some of the mistakes.

Novocaine

It's there because it got the votes. SF2 was a monster back during that era, both in arcades and at home so I'm not shocked people voted it highly. I'm more surprised that SMW2 made it in to the top 10 to be honest. Didn't think it was a fan favourite. Super Metroid deserves the win, such an amazing game.

AniHawk

It's there because it got the votes. SF2 was a monster back during that era, both in arcades and at home so I'm not shocked people voted it highly. I'm more surprised that SMW2 made it in to the top 10 to be honest. Didn't think it was a fan favourite. Super Metroid deserves the win, such an amazing game.

i'm more surprised at dkc2 over any sonic game. that music is dope though

Somehow missed the results thread until now. I got quoted in the #1 game! Thanks, Ani!

Great list. Great(est) gen. So glad we have these lists on GAF. They make a great reference.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Once again thank you for your great work, AniHawk

Now for my routine post-result butthurt... :p

The good:
- Super Metroid #1. I'm quite happy with this. If there was ever a near-flawless game it would be this one.
- Gunstar Heroes being the #1 shooter. Wasn't expecting that.

The bittersweet relief:
- 1 Genesis game made the top ten. Only 1, but hey. :(

And the butthurt:
- My Genesis faves, Shining Force II, Ristar, Castlevania Bloodlines and Wonder Boy in Monster World being so low. Especially Wonder Boy having only 2 votes ;_; shout-out to Jucksalbe, you are a bro/sis!
- Action-adventure top 5 having frigging Goof Troop beat Beyond Oasis and Landstalker?! (Actually in the full list Beyond Oasis beats it! I DEMAND CHANGES :p)
- Ristar being so low
- Chrono Trigger beating FFVI
- Why does the top Genesis games end at 9, but others at 10? PC-Engine has 4 #10, lol

Also, some nitpicks: isn't Herzog Zwei a strategy game? Shouldn't it beat Clock Tower, being directly behind Frontier: Elite 2? Not that I care, never liked RTSes... just an observation. And isn't TMNT Turtles in Time also an arcade game?

edit:
I wanted to vote, but was too lazy.

How Castlevania Bloodlines didn't make the top 10 for Genesis is beyond me.
Well, you didn't help! :p I did my part...

I would have put FFVI in front of CT, personally.
<bro/sis-fist>

AniHawk

- Action-adventure top 5 having frigging Goof Troop beat Beyond Oasis and Landstalker?! (Actually in the full list Beyond Oasis beats it! I DEMAND CHANGES :p)

changed. i had them both as action-adventure, but my genre tab screwed up on the last day and everything was scrambled. some stuff fell between the cracks.

- Why does the top Genesis games end at 9, but others at 10? PC-Engine has 4 #10, lol

it's ten games in a 1-10 list. two genesis exclusives tied for #9, meaning the next game would be #11. four pc engine games tied for #10, but they're all essentially #10.

also adjusted herzog zwei and frontier elite 2. frontier elite 2 should have been in simulation, and herzog zwei was listed as an rpg in my list. now it's a strategy game.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
While you are changing the genre association, don't you think Commander Keen fits way better under platformer or Action than Action-Adventure? I'd say it's somewhere in between Mario and Mega Man, which are platformer and action game, respectively. Also, Commander Keen should be Commander Keen 4, because that's the only game in the full list, right?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
changed. i had them both as action-adventure, but my genre tab screwed up on the last day and everything was scrambled. some stuff fell between the cracks.
Cool! Landstalker now getting a bit more representation too.
it's ten games in a 1-10 list. two genesis exclusives tied for #9, meaning the next game would be #11. four pc engine games tied for #10, but they're all essentially #10.
Ah, gotcha.

Also, could you maybe add a link to the voting thread in the OP somehow?

I still think a Games of the Third Generation should be done just so we can have it as a reference, I know it won't get a lot of feedback but honestly the results would be similar. In most data sets you only need roughly ~100 to have fair level of accuracy. We could get that.

Thanks as always for putting this together Anihawk. I love these things. They are a great tool to help document points in time. Doing this in 5 years will likely shift as well so it would be fun to compare as nostalgia and gamer bases change.

Worst part about this generation is that despite so many good early Game Boy and Game Gear games, there's literally no way they could compare to the console games of the generation. They were simply too primitive (aside from Link's Awakening).

AniHawk

While you are changing the genre association, don't you think Commander Keen fits way better under platformer or Action than Action-Adventure? I'd say it's somewhere in between Mario and Mega Man, which are platformer and action game, respectively. Also, Commander Keen should be Commander Keen 4, because that's the only game in the full list, right?

yeah, took it out. the genre tab strikes again.

AniHawk

I still think a Games of the Third Generation should be done just so we can have it as a reference, I know it won't get a lot of feedback but honestly the results would be similar. In most data sets you only need roughly ~100 to have fair level of accuracy. We could get that.

Thanks as always for putting this together Anihawk. I love these things. They are a great tool to help document points in time. Doing this in 5 years will likely shift as well so it would be fun to compare as nostalgia and gamer bases change.

Worst part about this generation is that despite so many good early Game Boy and Game Gear games, there's literally no way they could compare to the console games of the generation. They were simply too primitive (aside from Link's Awakening).

i'm not sure what it would be -

atari 5200, atari 7800, nes/famicom, sega sg-1000, sega master system, pc 1982-1987, c64, atari st, amiga, arcades 1982-1987?

thinking back to that era and i start going even further back in time to grab stuff from the second generation thanks to my atari's backwards compatability. my list would basically be my favorite nes games:

super mario bros.
super mario bros. 2/usa
super mario bros. 3
little nemo the dream master
dr. mario
duck hunt
mega man
mega man 2
the legend of zelda
zelda ii

although i guess seeing games from other people might jog my memory.

Gen 3 eh? first things to jump to mind here for me...
Super Mario Bros 3
Castlevania 3
Mega Man...3
Kirby's Adventure
Gargoyle's Quest 2
Sonic 1 MS

Yeah as I figured all I really know is the NES here.

i'm not sure what it would be -

atari 5200, atari 7800, nes/famicom, sega sg-1000, sega master system, pc 1982-1987, c64, atari st, amiga, arcades 1982-1987?

thinking back to that era and i start going even further back in time to grab stuff from the second generation thanks to my atari's backwards compatability. my list would basically be my favorite nes games:

super mario bros.
super mario bros. 2/usa
super mario bros. 3
little nemo the dream master
dr. mario
duck hunt
mega man
mega man 2
the legend of zelda
zelda ii

although i guess seeing games from other people might jog my memory.

Yeah, I'd officially be bowing out of this one; it's too far back and would be nearly entirely from what I've played later or stuff I don't remember clearly at all.

AniHawk

Gen 3 eh? first things to jump to mind here for me...
Super Mario Bros 3
Castlevania 3
Mega Man...3
Kirby's Adventure
Gargoyle's Quest 2
Sonic 1 MS

Yeah as I figured all I really know is the NES here.

oh yeah. forgot about kirby's adventure - only played it for the first time on wii. good kirby game though.

Top Bottom