• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Games of the Fourth Generation Awards

cj_iwakura

Wow, that is a massively Nintendo-skewed list. Not that I disagree(apart from CT beating FFVI), but wow.

I didn't think Sega was even on it for a while.

AniHawk

Wow, that is a massively Nintendo-skewed list. Not that I disagree(apart from CT beating FFVI), but wow.

I didn't think Sega was even on it for a while.

sega had a much better representation until the last two weeks. there was a point where sonic 3 & knuckles and sonic 2 were both in the top 10. i made the effort to contact all the retro communities here, and there were slightly more sega communities versus nintendo ones.

ohlawd

Uh, considering that Sega nearly stole Nintendo's market share with the Genesis... yeah. :p

damn

and uh that's even more damning for the people whining about the Nintendomination. they didn't show up. why they complaining, why he don't want me man!

AniHawk

Did anyone even buy Sega consoles way back? lol legit asking. I'm not surprised at these results.

the genesis came close to snes numbers (40m to 49m in some reports, but others peg the genesis somewhere at 29-33m as well), and the game gear occasionally outsold the game boy in america. i think nintendo's handheld line guaranteed a way for snes era games to get into peoples' hands into the later game boy, gba, and ds era, and the virtual console allows for a lot of that opportunity as well. sega could never get that same level of visibility in later generations.

Violet_0

Banned
Digging the Terranigma love. Really impressed that it made it this far overall, despite me missing the vote entirely! :)

This is correct.
yup, good showing for Terranigma - it was the #2 on my list, just behind Super Metoid. Although Seiken Densetsu 3 aka Secret of Mana 2 would have pushed it one rank down, had I voted for it. Terranigma and SD3 are two of the very best SNES games that never got to the US (or outside of Japan, in the latter's case)

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
About time, Anihawk.
:p

Are you sure you tallied the Super Metroid numbers correctly? Seems higher than expected.

That top 10 list is simply on point.

Personal bias would put Earthbound at #1 for me though.

I just went through Super Metroid for the first time (completing it at least, played a bunch before) and it seriously holds up so well. It's insane how timeless that design is.

AniHawk

About time, Anihawk.
:p

Are you sure you tallied the Super Metroid numbers correctly? Seems higher than expected.

super metroid was a lot of people's #3-5. it basically led after the first 100 posts though. super mario world was actually a very close #2 for a long time, and it wasn't until yesterday that alttp knocked it off its spot.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
super metroid was a lot of people's #3-5. it basically led after the first 100 posts though. super mario world was actually a very close #2 for a long time, and it wasn't until yesterday that alttp knocked it off its spot.

Huh. Whaddya know.

Good job.

I was quoted!

1 -> 4
2 -> 6
3 -> 3
4-> 5
5 -> 8
6 -> 15
7 -> 11
8 -> 25
9 -> 194
10 -> 25

x -> 13
x -> 67
x -> 17
x -> 46
x -> 260
x -> 260

I start off as such a CASUL but then it turns real hipster at the end! Thank you, Toys R Us clearance sales!

I swear this happens in every vote on GAF, "I didn't vote but where is *insert game here*?!"

Pretty much.

Did anyone even buy Sega consoles way back? lol legit asking. I'm not surprised at these results.

Let's face it, even as a Genny Kid, SNES was on fire for greatest of all times.

Live a Live just missed the top 100. It would've been an honorable mention for me anyway. I really wish that game would see an official English release but it'll never happen.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Looking at the results and lists of games makes me want Nintendo to release a SNES Classic even more than I already do.

Toxi

Banned
DOOM being below top 5 on the list is another example of the general console leaning of GAF. It's one of the most influential games on the list if not the most, it has built an extremely large and dedicated community, it was played by a shitton of people, and it still is considered a quality game today.

What is surprising is seeing the Genesis games in general rank so low. I wasn't expecting that.

Aters

I never experienced that generation, and I never even owned a fourth gen console. I played those games via emulators and remakes.

For me Nintendo games are simply more relate-able because many of the series are still alive today. I'd want to see what were Legend of Zelda, Mario, Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest and Fire Emblem like 20 years ago. As for Sega, I simply don't care about Phantasy Star or Shining Force. They are long dead franchises.

I think one of the reasons Nintendo dominate the list is that people like me are heavily skewed to them.

I never experienced that generation, and I never even owned a fourth gen console. I played those games via emulators and remakes.

For me Nintendo games are simply more relate-able because many of the series are still alive today. I'd want to see what were Legend of Zelda, Mario, Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest and Fire Emblem like 20 years ago. As for Sega, I simply don't care about Phantasy Star or Shining Force. They are long dead franchises.

I think one of the reasons Nintendo dominate the list is that people like me are heavily skewed to them.

But there was...ooooooooooooooooooooooh.

Vire

Really good list, Yoshis Island should be lower and Megaman X and DKC2 should be higher. But overall, can't complain too much.

Siddiqui

ooooh, Tetris Attack managed to barely make the list in the end at 25 and a halfth place. One of my top 3! Also, that 42 point gap between the top 4 and rest...

Also, I got quoted :D

It's hard to quibble with this list because you could probably take any of the top twenty-five games and make a legitimate argument that it should be ranked number one for the generation.

My only regret is not giving some games more love via honorable mentions. I should have come back and added at least twenty more games.

Mentok

Banned
Good lord, seeing all those SNES games makes me really miss that console (and desperately want N to make a SNES mini).

Kaji AF16

All games in the top ten are classics, and the SNES was probably Nintendo´s peak, but I do believe that Sega was under-represented.

Thanks for the MK2 quote!

Aters

Now that I compared this list with fifth and sixth gen lists. I think retro GAF is not as prevalent as I thought. So few votes compared to GC and PS2 generation. I think most Gaffers get into gaming around 2000 or so.

Toejam and Earl at 59... For shame!!!

Surprised at the top list, SNES killed it, I only voted for Super Mario world as its the only game I played on it.

Great to see Doom high up, along with other classics as well.

I voted and some of the games were there in various guises on the list but I can't complain, it was a great generation over all, some trail Brazers and when you return to play for nostalgia etc they still hold up perfectly.

They are all winners in our hearts, and I can't wait for the next gen as that will be tough... Oh just seen we are going backwards!!! Man that's upsetting.

Lumine

Forgot to vote in the end. Though most of the games I'd have voted for are in there anyway. Nice list, though I'd put it in a different order myself.
Couldn't decide if I wanted to vote for Sim City 2000. The PC version is much better but was from '94 and thus not allowed. The SNES version was pretty cool, but not nearly the same.

It is amazing how dominant the SNES is. When thinking about it, it is not surprising.

The Genesis really kicked the NES in to touch and that is where and when it won it's major share.

Once the SNES kicked in though, the number of exclusive Nintendo developed titles just blew it out of the water.

Sega had some great 'arcade' titles, but struggled when floundering with the 32x and CD.

I thin it's also fair to say that the SNES games hold up better. LTTP, Super Metroid, and SMW are genuine all time classics that still hold up incredibly well today.

Thanks for taking the time. Great list and good voting Gaf.

gelf

I think this does help Nintendo platforms. If you play and like a modern version your more likely going to go back and play the originals too on Virtual Console or wherever. Much like how I went back and played old Final Fantasies after only starting the series with 7. Sega's big names on the MD are either dead or in the case of Sonic misused since, so if you weren't there at the time your likely never gonna be there.

I'm just happy my favorite Streets of Rage 2 made the top ten as I expected a clean SNES sweep from this forum(multiplats aside). And much as I defend him from the detractors here I also like that SOR2 was ahead of Sonic on the Sega list.

Ikon

Awesome job as always, AniHawk!

Really looking forward to the gen 7 vote! Going to be playing as many games as I can make time for in preparation for it. I am already really torn on that #1 spot though!

Top Bottom