• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF: Did you enjoy the Sega Dreamcast or the Nintendo Gamecube more?

Sega Dreamcast or Nintendo Gamecube?

• Sega Dreamcast

Votes: 72 56.7%
  • Nintendo Gamecube

Votes: 55 43.3%

• Total voters
The Dreamcast and Nintendo Gamecube were the underdogs of their generation, both consoles failed to really cement their spot in the marketplace despite trying damn ass hard as they possibly could with some of the best games not only of that generation, but some of the best games ever in gaming period. Each had Nintendo and Sega look back at their past mistakes and attempt to not only remedy those mistakes but to brute force a metric ton of some of the best gaming software ever produced on consoles.

Sure, the Xbox and the PS2 would prevail in the mainstream, but the underdogs continue to have the biggest and most loyal fanbase of the 4 systems that were present that generation. The Dreamcast and Gamecube are commonly cited as the best game systems of all time, and often cited as the best game consoles produced from either manufacturer. There must be something to it since the massive praise both consoles receive continues even now.

For those who played both, when you stop and think about it which did you enjoy more? Both have some amazing games that just can't be beat.

Here are my favorite games for both in no specific order.

Sega Dreamcast

1. Atari Anniversary
  2. Canon Spike
  3. Fighting Vipers 2
  4. Virtua Fighter 3tb
  5. Soul Calibur
  6. Virtua Tennis
  7. Silent Scope
  8. NFL 2k1
  9. NFL 2k2
  10. Metropolis Street Racer
  11. Kao the Kangeroo
  12. Sega GT (I need a new one)
  13. D2
  14. Confidential Mission
  15. Bomberman Online
  16. Vanishing Point
  17. Resident Evil 2
  18. Resident Evil 3
  19. Alone in the Dark New Nightmare (first reboot best reboot)
  20. Dino Crisis
  21. Gauntlet Legends
  22. Marvel Vs. Capcom 2
  23. Ms. Pac man Maze Madness (hey I like it, stop glaring at me)
  24. Soldier of Fortune

Nintendo Gamecube

1. Resident Evil 4
  2. Resident Evil Zero
  3. Resident Evil Remake
  4. Mega Man NT
  5. Viewtiful Joe
  6. Viewtiful Joe 2 (need a real 3rd sequel)
  7. Metroid Prime
  8. Metroid Prime 2
  9. Mario Party games
  10. Twilight Princess
  11. Soul Calibur II
  12. Eternal Darkness
  13. Geist
  14. Smash Melee
  15. Tony Hawks Pro Skater 4
  16. Burnout 2
  17. F-Zero GX
  18. Tales of Symphonia
  19. Billy Hatcher
  20. Splinter Cell Chaos Theory
  21. Metal Gear Twin Snakes
  22. Rayman 3
  23. Bomberman Generation
  24. Bomberman Jetters (best voice acting)

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
GameCube easy, loved the Dreamcast but it was killed off to early to really stand up against the GameCube.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Didn't have a gamecube at all.

But played its games years later on Dolphin and its the better console for having RE1, RE4, and Metroid Prime.

theHFIC

Dreamcast for me until PS2 became easily available. GameCube can GTFO with that weird ass controller and nub. I don't remember seeing any GC console exclusive that I just had to play unlike god tier Crazy Taxi on DC first.

Amory

I only owned the Gamecube, but had several friends who had a Dreamcast.

For me the Dreamcast was more magical, probably because I always was playing with other people whereas the GCN games I played mostly solo.

Staying over friends houses playing Sonic Adventure, NBA/NFL 2k, Crazy Taxi, Soul Calibur...those were the days.

I also loved the Dreamcast's commercials. "It's thinking" was a cool tagline.

Reactions: Isa
Gamecube, but the Dreamcast was more impactful coming from sub-20 fps N64 games and the hardware design was on another level compared to the other consoles.

Last edited:

Kilau

Gold Member
I was there 9/9/99 for my Dreamcast and I loved it but...GameCube was way better. Plus my favorite DC game, Skies of Arcadia was ported to GameCube.

scydrex

Dreamcast all the way! Is one of my favorites console. Loved the Dreamcast. Hated the Gamecube and the controller. One of the worst controller ever or the worst to me.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
I'd say GCN cause it seems like the bulk of the best DC titles were later released on the GCN.

In all seriousness though, everyone knows the two best failures from Sega/Nintendo are the Saturn and the Wii U, lol.

fart town usa

Gold Member
I was there 9/9/99 for my Dreamcast and I loved it but...GameCube was way better. Plus my favorite DC game, Skies of Arcadia was ported to GameCube.
Fun times. The Dreamcast was a big effing deal, at least to my buddies and I. My friend Rob got one at launch. Between the Dreamcast releasing, the Y2K scare, The Matrix, AGGRESSIVE ROLLERBLADING, 1999 was a really memorable year in my childhood.

SpiceRacz

Probably Dreamcast, because I love Virtua Tennis, Shenmue, Crazy Taxi, and Jet Grind Radio that much.

Both systems have 2 of the greatest launch titles ever though: Soul Calibur and Rogue Squadron II.

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

Easily DC. Gamecube was my secondary system when I picked it for a few bucks. I bought it mainly for RE4, F-Zero and Prime. I had my fun with it but on DC I played many, many more games. I actively bought games for it during its short run.

Pantz

Dreamcast. It had so much variety and actually was my friends couch party console of choice back then, so that helped. GameCube was very good, it's just that Dreamcast was better.

Futurematic

If I was forced to choose I’d pick GameCube for Rogue Squadron because bafflingly 2 & 3 are stuck there. At the time though Dreamcast all the way.

Kokoloko85

Both are awesome and some of my favourite consoles but I prefered the Dreamcast but its very close.

Me and my friends spend hundreds of hours playing Naruto Multiplayer Which Is what makes it close lol. I loved Mario Sunshine, Wind Waker, Luigo’s Mansion and the Pikmin series is one of my favourites of all time.

But the Dreamcast I rented the Japanese one while we all had N64, Saturns and playstations and the graphics alone blew our minds at the time.
Later on we all experience our first online game in Phantasy Star online which was another mind blowing experience.

Games like, Shen Mue 1&2, Sonic Adventure 1&2, Resident Evil. Code Veronica, Soul Calibur, Skies of Arcadio, Grandia 2, PowerStone 1&2, Virtua Tennis, Jet Set Radio, Samba De Amigo, Crazy Taxi. Alot of great 1 player and multiplayer games made the console for me and my friends

And more like Dead or Alive 2, Ikuruga, Toy Commander, MSR. Great console

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Comparing DC to GC is little different to comparing it to any other of that generation, maybe GC didn't sell the best but it stuck around the whole gen unlike the Dreamcast that was abandoned before GC even came along so their underdog status is nowhere near each other.

GC sold considerably closer to the Xbox worldwide, on par really, than the DC which shifted less than half the units. How's this comparable underdog threshold somehow enough to fit the GC but not the Xbox over just a few million units more?

Just because Xbox was technically second to the PS2? It left everything so far in the dust it couldn't see them any more so in that the three are all underdogs and much closer to each other than any of them is to the PS2.

So, this makes no sense as anything more than revisionist history trying to make the Xbox appear on par with the PS2 or something else equally weird, I have no idea what even.

Last edited:

Rawker

Dreamcast, it's the definition of the last great console. I like N but they have a particular ignorance to those 18+ and their lack of desire for high fidelity. Consoles turned into prepackaged computers after the Dreamcast. The support from developers across the world is what made and probably broke the Dreamcast. It had the most progressive sports games, awesome original imports, and the most innovative games with peripherials ever seen. Dreamcast was like every kids dream arcade that you walk into. I feel sorry for gamers who missed out, noting like it will every be brought to fruition.

reinking

Gold Member
My initial reaction was that I played my Gamecube more but the more I think about it the more I do not believe that to be the case. Sega Bass Fishing with the controller, Seaman, Virtua Tennis, Crazy Taxi, Marvel vs Capcom, Dead or Alive, Soul Caliber, Power Stone, Skies of Arcadia, Jet Set Radio, PSO, etc...

Yep, I am voting Dreamcast.

These are my top 2 favourite consoles so very hard to choose. If I HAD to chose I'd probably say Dreamcast because it had arcadey games that just don't exist anymore..... Whereas Nintendo still makes similar games today.

Last edited:

SirTerry-T

I loved that cute little purple console with the handle but...
gkkmGT8.jpg

my heart belongs to Sega's last hurrah.

lachesis

I like GC, but Dreamcast was pinnacle of my videogaming as my primary hobby. After demise of DC, my passion and went down as I had less and less time to play any games despite having plenty of money.

alienator

im still playing my dreamcast today... soul calibur, tons of shmups, streetfighter alpha 3 .. i can go on and on

my gamecube sits on a shelf for over a decade.

SkylineRKR

Dreamcast, it's the definition of the last great console. I like N but they have a particular ignorance to those 18+ and their lack of desire for high fidelity. Consoles turned into prepackaged computers after the Dreamcast. The support from developers across the world is what made and probably broke the Dreamcast. It had the most progressive sports games, awesome original imports, and the most innovative games with peripherials ever seen. Dreamcast was like every kids dream arcade that you walk into. I feel sorry for gamers who missed out, noting like it will every be brought to fruition.

Its kind of unfortunate really.

Dreamcast could be seen as the last 'pure' console that has been released. With that I mean there was no focus testing involved, no desire to chase blockbuster style development yet, games became events since PS2. A new MGS or Halo release wasn't far removed from a new blockbuster film released. GC perhaps had this same purity still, but it was a Nintendo product even though in a weird turn of events they secured Resident Evil. GC shared a lot of the same software with PS2 and Xbox ofcourse. It was a much more mainstream system than DC was.

Dreamcast was something else. Its like creativity came before sales potential. Games like Rez, Cosmic Smash, Samba de Amigo, Crazy Taxi, Sega Bass Fishing, Typing of the Dead, Seaman, JSR were incredibly creative. Even its sole blockbuster title, Shenmue, was very unusual and in fact a very slow burn not catered to the masses even though its costs required it. For some games I questioned why were they ported. I mean stuff like 18 Wheeler. It lacked the replayability and flexibility of Crazy Taxi, there was a 20 minute game that had hardly any replay value whatsoever. But i still bought them.

But I think Dreamcast is so revered, next to having a too short shelf life, because a lot of software released on it is kind of timeless. They're perfect for short bursts. Rez VR was one of my top 5 games of last generation. Its a bonafide Dreamcast game. Shenmue 1 and 2 HD was my GOTY of that year.

Last edited:
Top Bottom