• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Ban Review/Justice Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
Can't speak for Matt but I think I get what he's saying. This thread is about coming together regardless of political and social philosophy and providing a justification for a second chance. You don't

get that in other threads. I don't see Nobody_Important Nobody_Important in Meta-GAF or gaming, or any of the usual political contributors but there is a gloating by some users (not accusing

Nobody_Important Nobody_Important of this incase anyone gets that idea). This thread for me at-least is either letting the dead rest and saying your goodbyes or trying to revive them.
Yeah I don't post outside of politics or off topic very often. I've never been into discussing gaming news or leaks. I do however enjoy talking about the games themselves and the strategies within them, but the main games that I play at the moment do not have an active community on gaf so I mainly stick to the Reddit and the discords.

Tesseract

Banned
2019 thereabouts the mantra was 'everyone fights, no one quits' insofar as describing the nature of the forum and its users ...

haphazard policy shifts hijacked by feels does not a healthy community make, especially when you let things go on for so long without abating radical notions, ideas or behaviors

you cannot have it both ways after stoking the fire, not w/o those kinds of inconsistencies being examined by subsets of users

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

The original spirit was forgiveness. For what it’s worth, I forgive you.
The fact that the behavior was tolerated for as long as it was can be seen as its own form of forgiveness I think. Especially in some specific cases.

It's not like the people that were permanently banned were never given any kind of warning in the past for their behavior or were ignorant of the rules in the first place. Especially considering that most of the bans were regarding the new rules surrounding conspiracies and that has its own thread in the section itself so it is kind of hard to miss.

It is not the staff's fault that some members insisted on flaunting the rules or attacking the staff in response to the rules. And they are not obligated to forgive anyone in my opinion. The rules exist for a reason and past a certain point enough is enough. Especially when it came to some of the more race-based bannings that we have seen.

Last edited:

ManofOne

Plus Member
EviLore EviLore .

giphy.gif

If this works Piku_Ringo Piku_Ringo , don't poke the hornet nest.

Tesseract

Banned
The fact that the behavior was tolerated for as long as it was can be seen as its own form of forgiveness I think. Especially in some specific cases.

It's not like the people that were permanently banned were never given any kind of warning in the past for their behavior. Especially considering that most of the bands were regarding the new rules surrounding conspiracies and that has its own thread in the section itself so it is kind of hard to miss.

It is not the staff's fault that some members insisted on flaunting the rules or attacking the staff in response to the rules.
your first line is nonsense, there's no metric for tolerating from the bench as a form of forgiveness

that doesn't even make sense

Nobody_Important

your first line is nonsense, there's no metric for tolerating from the bench as a form of forgiveness

that doesn't even make sense
I'm not going to get into it. Evilore has already addressed it himself in a much better way than I could.

I'll just say that my point is certain things went on for way too long. The members could have adjusted their behavior at any time. They didnt. And then they were explicitly told that they needed to. They didn't.

That limits my ability to feel sorry for them past a certain point.

Last edited:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
haphazard policy shifts hijacked by feels does not a healthy community make, especially when you let things go on for so long without abating radical notions, ideas or behaviors

you cannot have it both ways after stoking the fire, not w/o those kinds of inconsistencies being examined by subsets of users
A section of the site hijacked by pernicious ideology, and users shown the door in response.

Both ways? No. One way.

ManofOne

Plus Member
I'll just say that my point is certain things went on for way too long. The members could have adjusted their behavior at any time. They didnt. And then they were explicitly told that they needed to. They didn't.

You don't think behavioral adjustment is hard for some. Not including those being overtly racists, obnoxious etc. Some of the bans seemed excessive. I prefer a course correction rather than an outright perm. Not my site and can't dictate its direction but I can try to advocate for reasonable solution that seems amicable.

Nobody_Important

You don't think behavioral adjustment is hard for some. Not including those being overtly racists, obnoxious etc. Some of the bans seemed excessive. I prefer a course correction rather than an outright perm. Not my site and can't dictate its direction but I can try to advocate for reasonable solution that seems amicable.
We are all adults here. It shouldn't be hard to stop personally attacking people and posting bogus stories from unreliable sources.

There should be no need to "adjust" to such a simple change.

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
Oh shut the fuck up already
Sorry for thinking that business owners and employees should only work during business hours :p

Peeps taking their times out of their normal work hours to respond

Ever been on an on-call rotation and all the on-call not answer?
Shit sucks but they doin' it instead of burning one and drinking a beer

If it were my choice I would've locked the thread for a week to let people calm down; I just know that it'd get everyone to sperg around the rest of the forums, and that's more work to clear up than just to keep it into one ticket and do your work from there

Once again, I'll point to the ignore and report features, nothing more or less needs to be said

ManofOne

Plus Member
We are all adults here. It shouldn't be hard to stop personally attacking people and posting bogus stories from unreliable sources.

There should be no need to "adjust" to such a simple change.

I have no problem with the new rules but there is a perception or uniformity that needs to be applied. While I believe political conspiracies have a dangerous component to them, the truth can also be said to regular news sources.

I think the new rules heightened this left vs right disparity quite frankly and I think for the sake of avoiding or losing newer and older members we should at least take a step back and strengthen the new rules a bit for clarity.

I have no problem banning election fraud threads, which mainly apply to the right but it should also apply to the left (Russia gate or atleast Trump being a 40 year old winter solider).

Last edited:

showernota

Sorry for thinking that business owners and employees should only work during business hours :p

Peeps taking their times out of their normal work hours to respond

Ever been on an on-call rotation and all the on-call not answer?
Shit sucks but they doin' it instead of burning one and drinking a beer
iu

I wouldn't be surprised if that's how Era mods work, though.

borborygmus

"Nothing but gravedancers and sycophants now".
It's called hyperbole and it's regarded as a figure of speech, not a fallacy. I read his post and thought "yeah I'm seeing quite a bit of sycophantic behavior" not "literally 27 out of 27 posters are sycophants."

Do you also think the dead referred to in this thread are really dead? Maybe the mod team should turn itself in to the police then.

When reading other people's posts it's important not to forget the principle of charity.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Yeah I don't post outside of politics or off topic very often. I've never been into discussing gaming news or leaks. I do however enjoy talking about the games themselves and the strategies within them, but the main games that I play at the moment do not have an active community on gaf so I mainly stick to the Reddit and the discords.

I've been accused of mostly posting in politics myself, even though I feel like:

A. Even if I have, big deal?

B. We just went through a contentious election cycle in the US so I figure many people's activity in the Politics section went up

I just looked and I am following 13 threads. None are in politics. I created an OT in gaming and one in off topic. Looking at most of my recent posts they seem to be about games or other media.

I think maybe people just got angry with me in politics so associated me forever with that section. But being honest, once Biden was sworn in and things began to get back to normal I barely think about politics. Pretty sure I've only created one thread there in the last several weeks.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
There were only a few people posting conspiracy garbage after the election. The problem with them was they were making tons of threads and posts so it cluttered up the board with nothing but insane garbage. Those posters got banned quickly after the rule change. Most of the banned since never posted conspiracy stuff and have been banned due to their reaction. Then as more people get banned additional people get pissed off and end up banned. We’ve been seeing that repeat for the past month. Since most people weren’t posting conspiracy crap the rule change shouldn’t really matter to 99.9% of posters. Just read it, shrug and post like you always have been.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom