• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Art/TCG Design Contest: Create a Magic: the Gathering Set

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lucario

CURRENT CONTEST(s):

Contest 1: (ends August 10th)

The best legendary creature designs complete with backstory will be selected on July 5th, and their creators will be shipped two promos of the card they designed; one foil, one nonfoil.

An example of backstory: http://www.wizards.com/Magic/TCG/Art...ic/bok/inkeyes

You do not need to submit a card if you do not want to; just have a character story with a physical description of your character, and if you're inspired, a card to go along with it.

If you also submitted the art for that card, you'll get two foils and two nonfoils instead.

There's a damn good chance every good submission will receieve the prize, but

Rules:

Winners will be chosen based on thread feedback and the opinions of the lead designers/testers, of equal weight.

If an international GAF member wins, it'd be really nice if they'd help out on shipping (if they want the prize). I don't really have the money to send out individual cards across the globe.

The purpose of the contest is to have a cool backstory; NOT a cool card design. When you rate someone's submission, realize the contest is weighted ~90% towards the character's story.

Prizes will be sent out when the set is complete, to ensure that the winners recieve the finalized version of the card, complete with art; the set is obviously going to change a TON once testing goes "public".

Contest 2:

Draw landscape on Pentanesia/something that takes place one one of the islands/anything you think would be setting-appropriate, as long as the background features some sort of landscape. Take whatever creative liberties you wish. Black&White submissions are fine, just submit anything you'd be proud to see on a card.

Prizes:

The first 4 submissions with positive reactions in the thread will get promos featuring their art when the set is completed. There's also a "grand prize" of five promos available for an artist willing to draw a full-color scene on each island (you will receive a promo of each of your pieces, or any other combination you wish.)

This is just to get the ball rolling on art and let people know where their card designs take place.

After gauging interest in the IRC as well as the Magic thread, I've decided to create a thread for a project some buddies and I are working on, as we'd like NeoGAF's help to make it as awesome as it could possibly be.

Every summer, a group of friends and I would design our own Magic: the Gathering set from the bottom up, then proceed to print out the cards on a shitty laser printer, tape them to real cards, and hold small tournaments with them. It was a fun way to kill time, but the sets became increasingly more complex every year, and we eventually wound up begging art students to help out with the design, even taking up photography to give the cards some additional flair (and make themes stick out.)

Most of those friends have flunked out, graduated, or gone to graduate school, leaving the group with only two members.

So, here it is.

The NeoGAF Set Design Contest

Wait, what?
For those of you familiar with Magic, all cards are from specific expansions, each with their own lore, backstory, and world. The goal here is to, as a forum, create our own expansion containing 245 unique cards.​

How?
Using a variety of programs such as MSE and Magic Workstation, you can not only design cards with proper dimensions to print out and play with, but play with custom sets online... even in limited formats.​

How can I help?
If you're an artist who doesn't play Magic, skip down a few sections; otherwise, you can immediately start designing and submitting cards, balancing/approving cards other posters created, creating new mechanics, writing sections of backstory/flavor text if that's your kind of thing, or even playtesting; if you'd like to be part of a playtesting and balancing group, send me a PM.​

Why
Cause it's fun. Wizards of the Coast has a list of things they will absolutely never print in a real set, due to fears of ruining eternal formats or causing rulings headaches. As a GAF-designed set would be self-contained, we'd be able to do whatever we want with it.​

Got any ideas?
Yup.​

PENTANESIA, THE FIVE ISLANDS
A plane consisting of nothing but five islands located on a seemingly infinite ocean. Each island has its own color identity and beliefs, and, as a result, the set has a distinct "monocolored matters" theme. All five islands badly need names, and we're using placeholder greek names for now that kind of sound like diseases.

White-aligned Island
Militaristic and controlling, the white-aligned island has a strong naval force and a proud tradition of death before dishonor; mechanics include Ransom, which causes creatures dealt damage by Random cards to shift control as if taken hostage.​
Blue-aligned Island
The blue is the most "human" of the islands; bent on progress and detached from spellcasting as well as mana itself, most of the blue island's power comes from Assemblies -- colored artifacts with massive drawbacks and powerful upkeep effects, similar to Kamigawa's "epic" spells, but with a more sensical flavor (and the ability to "get out of" the effect.)​
Black-aligned Island
Nearly uninhabited and of no strategic value, the black-aligned island contains under 20% creatures; mechanics include Remembrance, which causes spells to become permanents when leaving the stack.​
Red-aligned Island
A tropical paradise of lazy tourists and hedonistic goblins/vishano/whatever, the red island is a major economic force due to an absurd supply of gemstones and gold.​
Green-aligned Island
THERE'S BIG FUCKING MONSTERS HERE. Petroglyphys flavor-neutral reprint, "no abilities matter", are monocolored matters are all island themes.​

A few rough, tentatively named card examples:

igoxZ.jpg
b5LVs.jpg
CeO2X.jpg
Z9MUK.jpg
fsyDj.jpg
D8tqr.jpg

Arright, I'm an artist. How can I help?
Well, first of all, ignore the ideas I already posted. If you have a plane/location you'd like the set to take place on and/or art to submit, submit it! If you have a piece you'd like to see made into a card, post it in the thread and someone will design a card around it (and be damn appreciative too!) It's that simple, and your work is appreciated.​

Oh, right. Is there ever gonna be.. like, art?
Yup! I have two or three artists interested (but work will be slow), and for other cards, I'm just gonna find public domain imagery/use photographs.​

PRIZES PRIZES PRIZES PRIZES PRIZES
Oh right. There's prizes for artists, designers, tournament winners, and storywriters. I'll announce these sometime tonight. For now, start designing. *whip-crack*​

MSE is apparently down right now.

I'm not a fan of the "dragon" flavor for "Jewel-Fed Dragon," (dragons want to be flying and much larger) but I really like the design and I'd love to see it turn into a cycle with some cards to support it. Something like this:

Red "Dragon"
2R
Creature - Dragon
R, Red Dragon gets +1/-1 until end of turn: Red "Dragon" deals 1 damage to target player
1/3

Blue "Dragon"
2U
Creature - Dragon
U, Blue "Dragon" gets +1/-1 until end of turn: draw a card, then discard a card
1/2

Black "Dragon"
2BB
Creature - Dragon
B, Black "Dragon" gets +1/-1until end of turn: Target creature gets -1/-1 until end of turn.
2/2

Green "Dragon"
2GG
Creature - Dragon
G, Green "Dragon" gets +1/-1 until end of turn: Target creature other than Green "Dragon" gets +1/+1
2/2

White "Dragon"
2W
Creature - Dragon
W, White "Dragon" gets +1/-1 until end of turn: prevent the next 1 damage dealt to target creature or player.
1/3

And a few cards to support it:

Righteousness Cantrip
W
Instant
Target creature gets +0/+4 until end of turn
Draw a Card

Turtle Cantrip
U
Instant
Switch Target Creature's Power and Toughness until end of turn
Draw a Card

I changed the red design and moved the original design into black- -1/-1 is the only effect that makes sense in black, but feels too similar to "deal 1 damage to target creature," so I changed red's design into direct damage. Another option would be keeping the red design and printing the black one as a 1-toughness creature with an effect of forcing the opponent to discard a card (possibly mirroring the effect in blue).

Rememberance is a cool mechanic but I imagine it'd give the rules manager fits. It might not matter for an amateur set design, but if appearing in a "real" set I imagine it would make more sense to have it put a creature token into play rather than having the sorcery or instant "become" a creature. On another note, is there any design space that Rememberance taps that enters the battlefield cards don't?

I was toying around with a dual land cycle, effect is as follows

Name
Land
When ~ enters the battlefield, choose [color, example: white] or [other color, example: black].
Tap: Add one mana of the chosen color to your mana pool.

Color options could be allied, enemies, whatever. Essentially dual lands but a bit more restrictive without a drawback like the shocklands. The card could potentially be placed regularly or upside down to make it clear which color is chosen. Could be a possible second ability to flip the card and switch colors for a price. Maybe something like

Midnight Sanctum
Land
[Fancy keyword]: When ~ enters the battlefield, choose white or black.
Discard a card: Flip ~.

Bloodsmoke Barrow
Land
[Fancy keyword]: When ~ enters the battlefield, choose red or black.
Lose 3 life: Flip ~.

Could be a terrible idea but idk

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I've had an idea for a mana fixing mechanic that I've been throwing around in my head for a year or so now, but now I can't remember it. Damn.

EDIT: Also, how much like the real thing do you want this set to be? My inner Melvin tingles at the idea of having a design skeleton and everything.

I've had an idea for a mana fixing mechanic that I've been throwing around in my head for a year or so now, but now I can't remember it. Damn.

EDIT: Also, how much like the real thing do you want this set to be? My inner Melvin tingles at the idea of having a design skeleton and everything.

The idea is to eventually draft the set, so a design skeleton would be great. "Restrictions breed creativity" as MaRo likes to say, and I'd find it easier to design if I knew that we needed, say, an in-flavor 3 mana red removal spell.

The Technomancer

The idea is to eventually draft the set, so a design skeleton would be great. "Restrictions breed creativity" as MaRo likes to say, and I'd find it easier to design if I knew that we needed, say, an in-flavor 3 mana red removal spell.

Then yeah, I'm going to go ahead and link to some design articles everyone should read a bit later. Not just design skeleton stuff but general stuff about complexity and fun.

Also I think Blue Dragon and Black Dragon could use some re-examining, those effects are really powerful if just activated once every turn.

Then yeah, I'm going to go ahead and link to some design articles everyone should read a bit later. Not just design skeleton stuff but general stuff about complexity and fun.

Also I think Blue Dragon and Black Dragon could use some re-examining, those effects are really powerful if just activated once every turn.

Image.ashx

Image.ashx

Pinging and looting once per turn aren't broken. The creatures do get some more utility out of being able to prticipate in combat, but if you're using the ability they're down to 1 toughness and really fragile anyway. They do get much better if you have some way to pump their toughness, especially on a permanent basis, but I don't think it's any more broken than the Comes into play/ Bounce synergy in, say, Avacyn Restored.

Fake edit: Hadn't realized the ambiguity in black "dragon's" design. Always intended for the effect to last until EOT, not give a -1/-1 counter.

The Technomancer

Pinging and looting once per turn aren't broken. The creatures do get some more utility out of being able to prticipate in combat, but if you're using the ability they're down to 1 toughness and really fragile anyway. They do get much better if you have some way to pump their toughness, especially on a permanent basis, but I don't think it's any more broken than the Comes into play/ Bounce synergy in, say, Avacyn Restored.

Fake edit: Hadn't realized the ambiguity in black "dragon's" design. Always intended for the effect to last until EOT, not give a -1/-1 counter.

Hm, yeah, not sure what I was thinking...

Once we get some design skeletons in place, I'll start designing around those. I may even submit some drawings later on if I have time.

For now, since it seems we're in the playtest stage, I want to bounce some random ideas of you all.

Super Intense Heat (Rare)
3RRR
Sorcery
Exile target permanent
--------------------------------
Bigasiodon (Uncommon)
5GG
Creature - Beast
Trample
Whenever Bigasiodon attacks, defending player may sacrifice three permanents. If they do, Bigasiodon deals no combat damage this turn.
9/7
--------------------------------
Modern Convenience (Uncommon)
3U
Instant
Draw a card
Remembrance 2
-------------------------------
Blackmailer (Common)
1W
Creature - Human Adviser
Ransom - Creature's controller allows you to draw a card.
1/2
------------------------------

Also, because I love creature enchantments and hate that they give card disadvantage:

Moldervine Cloak Slowtrip
2GG
Enchantment- Aura
Enchant Creature
Enchanted creature gets +3/+3
When CARDNAME is put into a graveayard from play, draw a card

Toughness Slowtrip
W
Enchantment- Aura
Enchant Creature
Enchanted Creature gains +0/+4
When CARDNAME is put into a graveyard from play, draw a card.

Firebreathing Slowtrip
2R
Enchantment - Aura
Enchant Creature
Enchanted Creature gains R: This creature gains +1/+0 until end of turn
When CARDNAME is put into a graveyard from play, draw a card

Curiosity Slowtrip
2U
Enchantment - Aura
Enchant Creature
Whenever Enchanted creature deals combat damage to an opponent, draw a card

Intimidate Slowtrip
1B
Enchantment - Aura
Enchant Creature
Enchanted Creature has Intimidate

Super Intense Heat (Rare)
3RRR
Sorcery
Exile target permanent

This kinda feels like it breaks the color pie, in that exiling stuff to get rid of it is generally white, and red being able to deal with enchantments is a no-no.

Bigasiodon (Uncommon)
5GG
Creature - Beast
Trample
Whenever Bigasiodon attacks, defending player may sacrifice three permanents. If they do, Bigasiodon deals no combat damage this turn.
9/7

I love this design and would love to push it power-wise so it sees more play in limited. Maybe 4GG as a 7/5?

Rememberance is a cool mechanic but I imagine it'd give the rules manager fits. It might not matter for an amateur set design, but if appearing in a "real" set I imagine it would make more sense to have it put a creature token into play rather than having the sorcery or instant "become" a creature. On another note, is there any design space that Rememberance taps that enters the battlefield cards don't?

I agree, I think it makes more Magic-sense to create creature tokens. If you want to keep the same flavor you can make the rule be something like this:
Remembrance 2. (Whenever Lukonsian Swamp Gas would be sent into the graveyard after being cast, exile it instead and put a 2/2 Black Spirit creature token into play. Whenever that token dies, put ~ in your graveyard)

Wording's awful, but I think that would be the mechanical way that would clash less with current Magic mechanics. It's be interesting if some Remembrance cards had a cost, so you could get a really good creature or something.)

I like the idea of Aura's replacing themselves when they go to the graveyard. Stuff like that, or Totem Armor need to be on Aura's to help reduce their inherit card disadvantage.
This kinda feels like it breaks the color pie, in that exiling stuff to get rid of it is generally white, and red being able to deal with enchantments is a no-no.
Well, my thinking was...

A. Fantasy set, so we could do a little color-pie bleeding that wouldn't otherwise be seen.

B. 6-mana sorcery at Rare or higher lets it get away with stuff.

C. Red occasionally can exile (Into the Core, Pillar of Flame), or even deal with enchantments (Chaos Warp, any of the goofy red chaos cards).

I love this design and would love to push it power-wise so it sees more play in limited. Maybe 4GG as a 7/5?
Glad you like it! My thinking was making it sort of a reverse Eldrazi. I'm wondering if bumping it up to a 7/5 for 4GG would be too much?

zethren

Banned
I'm an artist, so I can try and create some art for these cards when I get the chance. Won't be super soon that I will be able to though, unfortunately.

I've also been playing MTG for a while now, so I have a pretty good idea of how to go about designing balanced cards.

The Technomancer

Ah, I remember the filtering mechanic now:

Slow Growth 2G
Sorcery
Put a 1/1 Green Saproling token into play
Prism (When you play this spell you may sacrifice a land. If you do, search through your library for a basic land card and put it into play)

It doesn't accelerate you, it just helps with color fixing. Although looking at it this really feels like it wants to be in a crazy multi-color set, something that needs a lot of fixing so that you'd want more then a few of these.

Glad you like it! My thinking was making it sort of a reverse Eldrazi. I'm wondering if bumping it up to a 7/5 for 4GG would be too much?

I'm reminded of

aOkZY.jpg

Which is good in AVR limited, and which you can justify spending an early pick on, but is far from broken. I'll treat soulbond as a wash- in some situations, he'll be able to give evasion to otheer creatures, and in some situations, he'll lack it himself- which basically means you're getting +1/+1 compared to the base. Bear in mind the sacrifice thing isn't a benefit, it's a drawback- your opponent gets to choose which one is less bad for the situation. It reminds me of

reR2s.jpg

Which wasn't even that good in most circumstances because, again, your opponent could choose which one was less bad for him. Cards that give choices to your opponent can be pushed pretty far in power- I imagine he'd be very good but still printable even at something like 8/8. The fact that it's at the top end of the curve helps, too- he's likely to come in at a point where your opponent has mostly emptied his hand and for whom sacrificing three lands is less of a penalty.

I also wanna keep him around the 6 CMC range because that's the only way he could see some play- Eldrazi could get away with ridiculously costed creatures in limited because it had a ton of mana search and acceleration mechanics like Eldrazi Spawn tokens. 8 mana creatures, no matter how good, tend to be close to unplayable in most limited formats.

It does give me an idea for another card, though...

Littleasiodon
1G
Creature - Beast
Trample
An opponent may sacrifice a permanent to have CARDNAME deal no damage this turn
3/3

Maybe make this one an uncommon and push the bigger version to rare at a higher power level. Could also move both into black- the sacrificing creatures theme plays into the "sparsely populated" flavor of black in this set while still letting them have some beats.

On the note of playing into "sparsely populated..."

Innocent Blood Remembrance
2BB
Sorcery - Zombie
Each player sacrifices a creature
Remembrance 2

Giard

Was hoping for a GAF-themed set.
Me too. :p

Go ly dow
B
Instant
Counter target spell or ability that targets target creature. At the end of the creature's owner's next turn, exile that creature.

"I gotta go ly dow," -JBaird

Safe moist as dudes
U
Creature - Cookie cutter mother fucker
When attacking, Safe moist as dudes gain +X/+0, where X is the number of Safe moist as dudes in play.
When defending, Safe moist as dudes gain +0/+X, where X is the number of Safe moist as dudes in play.
0/1

"I like that gif, now show me what you are capable of. " -backbreaker65
I'm sorry, I have no imagination

Barter in Blood Remembrance (Rare)
4BB
Sorcery - Miasma
Each player sacrifices 2 creatures
Flying
Remembrance 4

Wrath of God Remembrance (Rare)
4WW
Sorcery - Angel
Destroy all creatures
Flying, Lifelink
Remembrance 3

y2dvd

Whipped this one up.

NagMor, the Succubi - Vampire
R
1R Charm (Target creature is charmed and cannot block this turn. Put a +1/+0 counter on NagMor.)
Alluring to those that beholds her sight. <-flavor text
1/1

I'll try to illustrate her, but she's going to end up being a stick figure with boobs and fangs lol.

Lucario

This is like five posts in one. Sorry about that.

Alright, awesome, some great ideas so far.

Cad: Your cycle of "dragons" is badass, and none really need to be fixed. The only thing that needs to be fixed is, as you said, the flavor; they don't make a drop of sense as dragons, and the only comparison I can think of so far is Dragon Whelp. Find or create a fitting fantasy race maybe?

Keru_Shiri:

Bigasiodon is a very fitting card design, considering that every non-green color already has a choice-forcing (aka "skill") mechanic, and I was looking for one to fit green; I like it a lot. I'd even argue that you could seriously push that power level, as, in a limited format, that drawback is actually very significant with aggressive strategies running around. I have yet to playtest with it, but I'd say you could have a vertical cycle of similar creatures, all with pushed power levels and increasing complexity, and all would fit in the set.

I somewhat disagree with Cad on Super Intense Heat; I'd say that, in a fantasy set, it fits squarely in Red's slice of the color pie to be able to exile permanents; just, non-enchantment permanents. You can't exactly burn Mirari's Wake to death.

Super Intense Heat (Uncommon)
3RR
Sorcery
Exile target non-enchantment permanent

I propose this as a fix; it doesn't do anything red couldn't explicitly do before, it's got a nifty effect, and the flavor makes sense. It can be red's "Beast Within" of the set, just.... not as powerful.

Another thing I didn't bring up before:

I can't proxy "transform" cards without spending close to a dollar per card, so I'd like to immediately exclude them from development, as much fun as they can be. Sorry!

Musings on remembrance:

It doesn't work. Sorceries can't be on the battlefield, and initial testing showed that the rules concerns presented far outweigh the elegant templating/space saving of the card.

Token creation doesn't quite cover the purpose of the card, as abilities such as Lifelink will not transfer to the creature created. I'll keep working at it to see if there's an elegant solution, but the mechanic is likely to be scrapped.

Also, there's no unifying set theme at all right now, just a few mechanics that suggest nothing but skill-intensive cards that force choices for opponents (which I personally LOVE as a Johnny/Spike fed up with the oversimplification of Magic in recent years.) Cad suggested Enchantments as a unifying theme, and I feel it could work. Opinions?

Prizes.

Alright, so, my buddies are really fucking good at making proxies. I kind of suck at it, but I can still occasionally make a presentable card:

384988_2217709565087_1318052414_31821593_884980577_n.jpg

This is a fairly expensive, time-consuming process, and are of no real value except for bragging rights for the "winners" of the competitions (or those who wish to playtest with their created cards), but I feel like proxies would make fantastic prizes.

I figure when the design is over, my buddies and I will make about 50-100 of these (of the cards created in the set - NOT actual Magic cards) and ship them to our favorite designers and artists from the design competition, as well as the winner(s) of the tournament(s) to take place after the set is designed. Does this sound acceptable to everyone?

My initial idea was to ship out around ~500 Magic rares of varied quality, but shipping costs would likely exceed what the prizes are worth, considering I'd mostly be sending out silly bulk rares like Tyrant of Discord.

I guess it'd be easier to distribute promos with little weekly sub-contests, like designing set protagonists and building backstory.

So... do that.

THIS WEEK'S CONTEST:

The best legendary creature designs complete with backstory will be selected at the end of the week (June 2nd, let's say) and their creators will be shipped two promos of the card they designed; one foil, one nonfoil.

An example of backstory: http://www.wizards.com/Magic/TCG/Article.aspx?x=magic/bok/inkeyes

You do not need to submit a card if you do not want to; just have a character story with a physical description of your character, and if you're inspired, a card to go along with it.

If you also submitted the art for that card, you'll get two foils and two nonfoils instead.

There's a damn good chance every good submission will receieve the prize, but

Rules:

Winners will be chosen based on thread feedback and the opinions of the lead designers/testers, of equal weight.

If an international GAF member wins, it'd be really nice if they'd help out on shipping (if they want the prize). I don't really have the money to send out individual cards across the globe.

The purpose of the contest is to have a cool backstory; NOT a cool card design. When you rate someone's submission, realize the contest is weighted ~90% towards the character's story.

Prizes will be sent out when the set is complete, to ensure that the winners recieve the finalized version of the card, complete with art; the set is obviously going to change a TON once testing goes "public".

Some of you are likely wondering why everything's so unstructured right now; frankly, we don't need to begin the process of eliminating mechanics and designing cards of specific types in order to finish the set until we've got 150+ suitable cards already in the OP. At that point, we will turn our pile of cards into a set, restructuring for flavor/power and making cute when necissary. This is also when a "partial spoiler" will hit the OP, making it clear to designers which colors need more/less cards.

Also, if anyone was wondering, Pentanesia will be a standard 230 card "large" set (not including basic lands) with each color having an equal number of cards. At the rate cards are being submitted and designed by the leads (and literally every card submitted is on my sheet of considerations,) we'll have double if not triple that amount by the time two weekly contests end. This is good; it leaves us plenty of design space to cut mechanics unfitting of what Pentanesia is to become, and also gives us the ability to allow overflow to spill into a neoGAF "core set" to make our fictional Standard format more interesting. It's food for thought.

Basically, I just want you all to continue designing cards right now, even if they have literally no place on the current plane. Everything that is interesting to you is of valid consideration for the set, and if it doesn't make it, it will remain filed for future expansions. I'll continue making comments when I see particularly interesting mechanics (or color pie/rulings concerns, or cards I know would be amazingly fun with a lower mana cost), but I'm not going to stifle anyone's creativity. That's for phase II of development when my "How Wizards R&D Designs Cards" tutorial gets posted.

tl;dr keep making cards and mechanics, keep 'em as awesome as possible. The set has to be balanced as a whole.

Here's some more card designs from the other designer and I some of which have exceedingly "pushed" power levels in the hopes of creating fun themes to build around. Nothing can be judged in a vacuum, so any immediate constructed power level concerns will be noted... But there's really nothing that can be done to "prove" a card is busted or terrible until the set is printed.

http://i.imgur.com/rJFG1.jpg - One of my more elegant Remembrance designs, inspired by the proliferate kill spell from New Phyrexia. For a hefty 4B investment, you get unconditional creature destruction as well as a 1/1 with deathtouch.

http://i.imgur.com/oaGbg.jpg - Part of a 5-card cycle of "fixed" moxen, something I have wanted WoTC to print for years. "Luxury" was an early artifact subtype which was referenced in multiple Blue and Red cards, primarily in swapping mechanics (IE, a creature which you can tap in order to exchange control of a luxury you control for an artifact an opponent controls.) In terms of flavor, they're supposed to be opulant moxen to the point of absurdity, all crafted on the Red island as a flamboyant display of wealth.

http://i.imgur.com/nEUDM.jpg - I really don't know how to feel about this mechanic. It's very weak outside of limited if you don't abuse it; I intended it as an "epic" variant to show the rapid scientific progress (yet disregard for spellcasting) on the blue island, but I can't see it being fun to play with. We'll see in testing, I suppose.

Finally, here's the stupid-powerful Muraganda Petroglyphs variant I was talking about in the IRC:

Bone-Scratched Petroglyphs - 1GG
Enchantment
Nontoken creatures with no abilities get +1/+1.
If a creature you control with no abilities would be dealt lethal damage, regenerate it.

Basically, all of your creatures with no abilities are indestructible and slightly fatter. It's a Knight Exemplar for all of your 'lil vanilla bears.

The mechanic is much weaker than it seems, but I already threw one into a deck with 32 grizzly bears and it was pretty damn good for casual play, if a little bit stupid.

Speaking of stupid:

Banal Bears
Basic Creature - Bear
(You may have as many copies of a card with the basic supertype in your deck as you want.)
2/2

I realize this mechanic isn't exactly... well, fun.... but it does leave some interesting design space open concerning player favorites like Relentless Rats.

The main reason my co-designer suggested it is, if there's going to be a "no abilities matter" mechanic, there will need to be a ton of vanilla creatures, which will lead to a boring limited format. Basic Creatures fix that.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Is it just me or is Ransom completely and totally overpowered?

Lucario

Is it just me or is Ransom completely and totally overpowered?

It's actually proving to be incredibly weak in testing so far; it's hard to evaluate "choice" mechanics (like how people thought Vexing Devil was broken, when it hasn't seen a single slot in a top 8 deck since it's been legal)

We'll see how well it fares when it's pushed a bit and the entire set is out. It's certainly nothing I want running around in limited, and I admit that Terrance is a very powerful card who is likely to be nerfed unless we print much more efficient removal.

He's basically a "T: Mind control if your opponent didn't leave two permanents untapped. Also ping, because why not." The closest comparison I can think of is a Browbeat variant where your opponent chooses between Plow Under or Mind Control.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
He's basically a "T: Mind control if your opponent didn't leave two permanents untapped. Also ping, because why not." The closest comparison I can think of is a Browbeat variant where your opponent chooses between Plow Under or Mind Control.
Alright, I guess I'd have to see it played to really judge the power level.

Just off the top of my head.

Flakehide Wurm
2GG
Uncommon
Creature - Wurm
If a spell or ability causes Flakehide Wurm to leave the battlefield, return it to play under its owner's control and put -1/-1 counter on it.
4/3

It's actually proving to be incredibly weak in testing so far; it's hard to evaluate "choice" mechanics (like how people thought Vexing Devil was broken, when it hasn't seen a single slot in a top 8 deck since it's been legal)

We'll see how well it fares when it's pushed a bit and the entire set is out. It's certainly nothing I want running around in limited, and I admit that Terrance is a very powerful card who is likely to be nerfed unless we print much more efficient removal.

Terrance doesn't seem like he's that big of a deal. How hard is it to leave two lands untapped? It's not like he has haste, so most of the time you're getting time to prepare for the effect. He looks good but not broken to me. Obviously first pickable in limited, but I don't see much constructed problems with him.

Lucario

Terrance doesn't seem like he's that big of a deal. How hard is it to leave two lands untapped? It's not like he has haste, so most of the time you're getting time to prepare for the effect. He looks good but not broken to me. Obviously first pickable in limited, but I don't see much constructed problems with him.

There's so many loopholes with him. Twiddle variants, anything that can untap him, etc, just causes a lockdown that would make Vedalken Shackles cry.

That said, he isn't too too amazing on his own; keeping two lands open kind of sucks (if your opponent doesn't hit their sixth land drop, they effectively get set back down to three mana; that's -really- obnoxious), but you have to not attack with Terrance to have him remain a threat to the board. Maybe I should give him vigilance and find a way to stop the silly lockdown combos with him.

Or I can just print good removal. Either way!

Also, I'm around halfway done setting up a spoiler webpage for what we have so far for the set. Looks like around 100 cards total.

What happened to this thread? Let's keep the ideas flowing! We're still in the brainstorming stage, so let's keep 'em coming.

Here's some more random stuff:

Relentos, Boros Walker (Mythic)
2WR
Planeswalker - Relntos
+1 - Relentos deals 1 damage to target creature.
+1 - Gain 1 life.
0 - Relentos deals X damage to target creature or player, and you gain X life. X equals the number of loyalty counters on ~. (The value of X is set at the resolution of this ability.)
{2}
-----------------------------------------------------

Velociraptor Spirit (Rare)
R
Creature - Dinosaur Spirit
Haste
At the end of turn, return ~ to it's owner's hand.
2/1
(I don't know how good the idea is, but it came to me in a dream, and I thought I'd share. In the dream, it was a 3/3 for Red, though)

------------------------------------------------------

Epion, Master of Psionics (Mythic)
3UU
Legendary Creature - Human Wizard
Intimidate
Creatures you control have Ransom - 1
3/4

Lukonsian Rememberance (Uncommon)
3BB
Enchament
Whenever you cast an Instant or Sorcery spell, put an X/X Black Spirit token into play. X is that spell's CMC.

Mana-spiller (Uncommon)
2G
Creature - Elemental
Whenever ~ attacks, defending player may untap up to 2 lands.
Whenever ~ blocks, you may untap up to 2 lands.
5/4

-------------------------------------------------------

Pirate's Bay (Rare)
Land
T: Add 1 to your mana pool.
T: Add W or U to your mana pool. Activate this ability only if you control a permanent with ransom, or if you control a permanent you don't own.

I was excited, but then I read that it was all about backstory and my heart sank. I can design, but I can't write! :(

I don't think we have much of a backstory established yet. Most of us are just brainstorming random cards.

Thinking about it, maybe we should make a more GAF-centric set.

500 Internal Server Error
WW
Instant
Players can't can't cast spells this turn. If E3 is in play, shuffle ~ back into your library.

Are you guys looking for general world building for Pentanesia, or do you feel like you have your concepts of the plane locked down? I have some ideas which I think would work with some of the stated goals of the set, but I don't want to step on anyone's toes.

Lucario

Are you guys looking for general world building for Pentanesia, or do you feel like you have your concepts of the plane locked down? I have some ideas which I think would work with some of the stated goals of the set, but I don't want to step on anyone's toes.

(cad PMed me on the IRC telling me bumps happened. After a week in the hole I assumed the thread had died and was pretty damn sad about it, so sorry for the bump!)

General world building would be much appreciated. We have rough ideas, but nothing is set in stone. Feel free to let ideas flow.

Wichu

Monocoloured matters, huh?

"Beast of Purity" - 3G
Creature - Beast
~ gets -1/-0 for each nongreen, nonland permanent you control.
5/3

I don't really like several of the cards suggested already - for example, the 'dragons' are usable more than once per turn. There's nothing stopping you stacking the effect ten times if you have enough mana; sure, the creature will die, but the effect will still resolve ten times.

Remembrance is pointless - just make it a creature with an 'enters the battlefield' effect.

Lucario

Monocoloured matters, huh?

"Beast of Purity" - 3G
Creature - Beast
~ gets -1/-0 for each nongreen, nonland permanent you control.
5/3

I don't really like several of the cards suggested already - for example, the 'dragons' are usable more than once per turn. There's nothing stopping you stacking the effect ten times if you have enough mana; sure, the creature will die, but the effect will still resolve ten times.

Remembrance is pointless - just make it a creature with an 'enters the battlefield' effect.

Like the card. Seems powerful in limited at uncommon, should make for an interesting drafting format... Especially with the easy-to-cast 3G encouraging multicolor. Makes for difficult decisions.

The dragons don't actually work like that, although the design document Cad and I got our inspiration from did; everything before the colon on a Magic card is a cost. The dragon would die to state-based effects the very moment its toughness hits zero, which would happen before the effect resolves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom