• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neill Blomkamp is no longer directing RoboCop Returns

VulcanRaven

Neill Blomkamp tweeted this few days ago:

MGM wants to shoot the movie now but Blomkamp can't do it because is making other movie. I really wanted to see it. I hope they find a new director and make it. The movie was supposed to be set after the first RoboCop and ignore the sequels.

Last edited:

NeoGiffer

E1ix70v.gif

C

Contica

Unconfirmed Member
I feel like the dude is always starting on projects then dropping out, even if its not his fault its very odd. He was suppose to be doing Halo, then Alien, then this, and i feel like i missed a few others his name was attached to then suddenly dropped off of.
Yeah, it's a reoccurring thing with him. He hasn't really done that much worthy of note imo, the most exciting things he worked on never ended up happening.

withincells

I would be sad if this was a follow up to District 9 but considering Elysium and Chappie were turds, I’m okay with this.

The only great thing out of blomkamp was district 9. And holy God was it great.

I'm glad about this news. I love horror and it interests me that the guy who did d9 is taking on the genre. I'm putting aside his other movies to be excited for this.

DiscoJer

There are so many talented directors that had one flop (or not even that) and basically never worked again or had to move to TV, and this clown keeps getting work?

Apocryphon

All of his films have had really good moments. District 9 was excellent and Elysium had some really cool scenes. Even Chappie had some fun parts despite failing as a whole. I would have likes to see his takes on Halo and the Alien franchise as in have enjoyed his YouTube shorts. Hopefully whatever he's working on pans out... though it's a shame about RoboCop. Not sure who I'd like to pick up the RoboCop job though... George Miller perhaps.

cryptoadam

Banned
Bring back Nancy Allen and make Robocop fight the Patriarchy played by Jessica Yaniv.

It could be a cross between a Thelma and Louise remake and a Robocop 2 remake.

bring back Paul Verhoven......he doesnt give a shit about SJW or politics and it would be great to see that style of movie in todays age but with a really hard left overtone getting smashed apart from a hard right tone

I think Chappie proved he could do a good Robocop. It's a good story about growing up in a disfunctional family. It's also fucking hilarious and Huge Ackman's corporate Solid Snake is straight out of Verhoeven.

jolof96

Sucks. Blomkamp and Robocop would have been a good fit, but maybe we might get something that fills us in on what happened to Wickus from District 9. Is he still a prawn?

Doom85

To be fair, he's possibly not to blame for leaving Alien 5 (but sorta 3 since it would have thankfully ignored 3 and 4) because from what I understand Ridley Scott wanted the Alien series to go in his direction and not someone else's so Blomkamp was kinda pressured off the project or something along those lines.

Great, rather than finally possibly getting a proper follow-up to Aliens (or at least, better than we got, in my book you'd have to fuck up REALLY badly to be a worse continuation than Alien 3 and 4 were), we instead got Prometheus that was good in some ways (Michael Fassbender, Idris Elba, the OST) and bad in other ways (most of the rest of the cast, idiotic decisions by characters) and Alien: Covenant which barely had any pros (Fassbender again, and the new lead was decent) and pretty much all cons (rest of the cast barely had any development especially since they cut out that prologue scene, even more idiotic decisions, etc.). Thanks, Scott, thanks a lot, *sigh*.

Well, I couldnt find a thread about this particular news and I cant make threads myself yet, but yeah, the robocop reboot is now a-go.

Little monsters sucked so little confidence instilled from that factoid.

Also, no peter weller = no watch for me

I guess i would also (begrudgingly) accept the dude from thinner. He was not even close to the worst part of robocop 3.

Getting rid of robocop 2 kinda runs me wrong also.

Last edited:

sol_bad

There is no need to get rid of Robocop 2, it's not as good as the first but still good. Stupid decision.
Not as stupid as the remake though.
I'll see what the trailer looks like.

Jesus Carbomb

From Water into Guinness
A direct sequel 30 years later blade runner like, with old robocop dealing with planned obsolescence, upgradability, maintance, and the aging of his organic parts would be awesome. Almost a philosophical movie.

Call me MGM

I'm pretty sure you just ripped off LOGAN. Marvel lawyers would like to have a word with you.

When you've been waiting for a District 9 sequel for 10 years but the aliens told Wikus they would return in three years.

source.gif

Like I dunno, how bout he makes the sequel to the franchise HE CREATED INSTEAD OF WANTING TO KEEP WORKING ON OTHER PEOPLES FRANCHISES. SERIOUSLY, WTF.

mortal

Gold Member
Geez, taken off both Alien & Robo Cop. Is Blomkamp cursed or what?

He's a pretty great director, but the guy just needs to collaborate with a talented screenwriter.
His Oats Studios shorts are pretty cool, despite the writing in them being mediocre.

Tesseract

Banned
this dude should have been a legend by now, giving us a halo movie, aliens, possibly terminator and robocop

there's nothing sadder than a once / generation talent losing his prime years, like completely wasted

why he was used to prop up anthem and not apex legends is something i'll never forgive

:messenger_pouting:

Last edited:

mekes

Seems like this guy is a master of having just one foot in on a project.

Edit. And to be fair. Maybe he’s more open about his involvements at early stages, I don’t know. But it almost feels like a yearly thing that he announces he’s leaving a movie.

Last edited:
Top Bottom