• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neil Druckmann Working on Last of Us HBO Series

Yesbox

Neo Member
I can't help but to feel like TLOU is the most overrated game ever.
It's really not that good imo and has a really generic story and characters that have already been done before 99999999 times in movies.
If it had been a movie then I don't think that people would've praised it anywhere near as much tbh.

This is my opinion ofc, but it's the same with God of War.
I just think that people have extremely low standards for what a '' good story and characters '' are for video games. It's like you take the most generic stuff ever in movies and put it into a game and then suddenly people treat it like it's the most amazing thing ever.

Last edited:

Shin

Banned
Started watching Chernobyl because of this news + YT comment, it's so damn good.
Too bad they didn't use Russians for the Russian/Ukranian-English, would have added more impact.
Also I hope they don't drag it on like the Walking Dead, shit started out well but became a bore-fest soon enough.

Yesbox

Neo Member
Started watching Chernobyl because of this news + YT comment, it's so damn good.
Too bad they didn't use Russians for the Russian/Ukranian-English, would have added more impact.
Also I hope they don't drag it on like the Walking Dead, shit started out well but became a bore-fest soon enough.

Chernobyl was a great series, so that's one thing that this show will have at least.

Part of me kinda just really don't like Neil Druckmann tho and is really tired of TLOU being hyped up as this great masterpiece of our time.
I know that it's petty but it's just turning me against the show already I am not going to deny it.
It's really just the typical soap opera with zombies.

Early seasons for Walking Dead were definitely enjoyable, but that's also because it was something new as far as tv-shows went.
But it's like you said they've dragged it out so much, and I am just expecting this to basically be the same.
I also don't think that just because you worked on or wrote for a video game it means that you're going to be good at it with a tv-show, and I don't think that Neil is this big genius that people are hyping him up to be either. People sometimes forget that there are more people working on these games and attribute too much of the success to single individuals who often are more than happy to accept the praise.

Last edited:

Handy Fake

Wait 'til you get to the miners. :messenger_sunglasses:

Kagero

This is the right thing to do. Forget about chasing after movies. Partnering up with HBO is perfect! The two brands intermingle very well.

nani17

are in a big trouble
Joel

MV5BNGU5YzZhMmUtYjhkNC00OWVhLTk3OTItNGY5NGVjY2JlNzY5XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyOTMyNTI3MzQ@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,999,1000_AL_.jpg

Last edited:

Gargus

Banned
He's about to find out that TV/Movies have much higher standards than videogames.

Yeah because cats and the masked singer really set the bar for high end quality and amazing content compared to the absolute trash the last of us is.

Business

Yeah because cats and the masked singer really set the bar for high end quality and amazing content compared to the absolute trash the last of us is.

There’s bad stuff everywhere but I think it’s fair to say that TLOU is considered one of the if not the finest example of storytelling in videogames, and that if we compare its level against the whole landscape of greatest movies and TV shows of all time, it would be quite mediocre.

The Alien

Banned
Interesting that an IP, wholly owned by Sony, would be made for HBO.

Im sure it'll be good. I personally think itd make a much better movie than a tv show (or Uncharted).

Do we need another zombie tv show?

Lastly...Will they finally just admit it already and get Ellen Page to play Ellie.

Pathetic.

Cuckmann is overdue for an ego check. Delusional fool who thinks diversity is just as important as gameplay (I am not making this up).

I enjoyed The Last of Us, but naughty dog exclusively makes moviegames anyway; making this into a show and Uncharted into a movie is ridiculous.

They were playable "movies" already.

Like... imagine if Kojima announced that Death Stranding was being made into a live-action film, and he was directing it.

Justin9mm

Seemed like just a matter of time before it hit premium show or movie adaption

if done right it will be tremendous
I prefer premium show, usually too much to cram into 1 movie and that always ends up flopping. Lots of room for character development and build up in a TV show. They made the right choice as long as it's paced right.

JLB

Banned
Osom! Druckman just got me with Chernobyl, probably the best thing I watched last year.

Bakkus

What's the point when the game was already cinematic to the core? What are you able to express through this that they were unable to do in the game?

Emotional post apocalypse zombie stories are really dime a dozen in TV and movies. When it's wrapped up in the package of an impressive game experience there's something special but idk about this. I'm sure it'll be decently entertaining but I dont see it feeling significant like the game did.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
What's the point when the game was already cinematic to the core? What are you able to express through this that they were unable to do in the game?
Don't ask questions. Just consume product.

It's all for $$$$$

Nothing more, nothing less.

Either get excited or fuck off.

BlueAlpaca

I'd like to say druckman is out of his league, but pretty much most tv/movies are overrated trash. I mean Game of Thrones is the biggest show in recent history and it's adapted by videogame class writers. I wish this will turn out well but I have no hope. And Judging by the thread plenty of people have decided they won't like it because it's woke, which I'm sure will be more than balanced by people who'll like it because 'fascists' hate it. Bleh. :lollipop_neutral:

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
Taking bets....

Does it make it past pilot?

1 season?

or more?

They should do a check in while it’s live by making you hit A certain button on the screen at the right time and you get trophies.

That way they can call it a game still.

Last edited:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Urgh. More opportunity for this guy to spread his bullshit.

Meanwhile, Kojimbo is crying lol. Nobody wants to let him make a TV show or movie.

Kagey K

Banned
Urgh. More opportunity for this guy to spread his bullshit.

Meanwhile, Kojimbo is crying lol. Nobody wants to let him make a TV show or movie.
He needs to do music videos, I swear that’s where his talent lies, but he can’t accept it.

xrnzaaas

Taking bets....

Does it make it past pilot?

1 season?

or more?

They should do a check in while it’s live by making you hit A certain button on the screen at the right time and you get trophies.

That way they can call it a game still.
I'd like to bet on who's going to be race swapped in the show - Joel or Ellie.

Yesbox

Neo Member
There’s bad stuff everywhere but I think it’s fair to say that TLOU is considered one of the if not the finest example of storytelling in videogames, and that if we compare its level against the whole landscape of greatest movies and TV shows of all time, it would be quite mediocre.

As far as I understand Neil was always more about the action too while Amy was more about story.
I don't mean to say that Neil doesn't want story or whatever, but I think that people praise him a lot in ways that is probably not true.
The TLOU2 trailers have basically been violence and gore fests, it almost feels like Mortal Kombat just with less slow-mo and close ups.
And a lot of his female characters that he's responsible for have been pretty predictable and stereotypes of a '' strong female character '' in the blandest and most stereotypical ways imaginable.
I don't think that he's as smart as people say that he is at all.

I am expecting TLOU2 to focus way more on the action tbh and less on story and the story being a bit of a mess and just a bunch of excuses for gunfights to happen.
The first game was very basic and unimaginative, it wasn't exactly a difficult endeavour. It played it incredibly safe with the writing.

People really need to understand that good voice acting and mocap doesn't make something a good story or all that well-written.
I think that people get way too drawn in by that and the whole '' cinematic experience '' aspect and they feel like it's better and more impressive story and writing wise than it really is.
Especially when it's kids involved in the story, it's very easy to touch at peoples heartstrings then.
Ultimately both games like TLOU and God of War played it incredibly safe, I know that people say the opposite about God of War but considering the times it really didn't take any risks at all. Everything about it was designed in the safest possible way and just adopted everything that had already been proven to work in the mainstream from other AAA games.

I mean as much as I enjoyed the early seasons of Walking Dead, it really wasn't that impressive in terms of writing and Rick's actor really carried the show A LOT. That guy was just an incredibly actor and it wouldn't have been anywhere near as good without him. And TLOU really isn't all that different.
Neil often gets called the most important and greatest storytellers in gaming of all time by both fans and the gaming press and it's honestly a bit embarrassing imo. Because to me it just tells me that we have really low standards.
That doesn't mean that Neil is awful at it, but I mean if that's what he gets labelled as.

Last edited:

Matsuchezz

I think it is a good opportunity for people that are not into games to enjoy what a lot of people considered a great story. We all know that there will always be people that will not like it and that is fine.
I think TLoU world has more similarities to the movie I am legend world than to The Walking Dead world where they depict the mother nature taking over the cities and other places, and the clickers and "infected" foes are more grounded in reality with the cordyceps fungi. The great thing is that Neil Drukman will be working with a writer that has done TV shows as good as Chernobyl, and he can learn more of the medium "good writting" that can be brought to games, Neil Druckman was the writer of TLoU and co-writer of TLoU2 along with Halley Gross which has written episodes for Westworld (another good TV series at least in my mind) so, I guess he has learned a thing or two from her(we always learn from new people when we work with them on new projects whatever your everyday work is, unless you are the kind of people that thinks that everybody else is stupid but yourself) and Neil was also the actors director in TLoU(the acting in the first game is superb) and I bet he is the actors director for TLoU2, so we can expect great quality acting on the second installment.
I just wonder how close to the game‘s story will it be and who the cast will be. Whatever is the case I will watch it as a fan of TLoU and good tv series.

VulcanRaven

who do you want as joe and elie?
Hugh Jackman would be great as Joel. Mackenzie Foy could be great as Ellie but she is too old now if this series is based on the first game. She looked like Ellie in Interstellar.

Last edited:
I doubt Joel or Ellie would be in a episode till like season 3. Happy this is happening. Walking Dead got stale as fuck.

Lol so much useless hate here. OMG ALREADY A GAME. When does that EVER matter.

MDSLKTR

I was surprised to see it as news in the morning paper and the tv news ticker at work. This will be huge won't it?

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
Pathetic.

Cuckmann is overdue for an ego check. Delusional fool who thinks diversity is just as important as gameplay (I am not making this up).

I enjoyed The Last of Us, but naughty dog exclusively makes moviegames anyway; making this into a show and Uncharted into a movie is ridiculous.

They were playable "movies" already.

Like... imagine if Kojima announced that Death Stranding was being made into a live-action film, and he was directing it.
the fuck you talking about?

GymWolf

Hopefully the writing is gonna be hbo writing and not drunkman writing for this one...

Last edited:
walking dead has tons of gay characters so what neil motivation? gays characters in TV shows are quite common, he might try to make every single character gay so he can he let the whole world how supportive her is.

Top Bottom