• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neil Druckmann: The Last of Us 2 Multiplayer Will Be Worth the Wait

1LvlJ4J.jpg

"Many Naughty Dog fans had been hoping that yesterday's celebration of The Last of Us would also bring with it a reveal of the long-awaited multiplayer component for The Last of Us: Part II. That never happened, with the studio instead focusing on its community with a set of new GIFs, cosplay guides, a free PlayStation 4 theme, and so much more. However, Neil Druckmann did make sure to comment on the project as festivities drew to a close.

Over on Twitter, the Naughty Dog vice-president told fans to be patient because the wait will be worth it. "Thank you to all the wonderful fans for an incredible #TheLastofUsDay! Your positivity and love is incredibly inspiring. Oh... and about that other thing... be patient. It’ll be worth it." Back in September 2019, the developer confirmed the multiplayer mode had grown beyond "an additional mode that could be included with our enormous single player campaign."

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
such news. It's almost like they expected Druckmann to tell them that the multiplayer will NOT be worth the wait. 😂

What some wouldn't do for some clicks.

Funny thing is that today was Tokyo Game Show, it isn't even a slow news day 😂

Last edited:

EDMIX

Nice! I wonder how much of those death animations will be in the multiplayer that exist in the single player. The damage the weapons did to people was just amazing! One of my favorite aspects of the game. Red Dead 2 and The Last Of Us 2 imho did the best job with actually fucking show people what happens when you shoot someone with a shotgun, rifle etc.

Till this day I'm still puzzled as to why that is not the default with M rated titles with guns.

EDMIX

I can wait..

I just hope they don't charge for a remaster.

Oh.....they will.

They charged for the remaster of the first game, I see them doing the same for this title. BC doesn't really mean you won't see remasters anymore as for all we know Sony will have it clearly support BC, you'll likely get a res bump and frame bump etc.

The remaster will come with the same, plus different assets, plus RT and different PS5 features.

It's good to know it's still being cooked. The first one had immense potential that went largely unrealized in terms of modes and scope due to the singleplayer focus, dev time and PS3 hardware. It still was a classic. I hope all the time they're taking is worth it in the end (no other explanation honestly).

Last edited:

ZehDon

"Man making thing says thing will be worth buying", News at 11.

Anyway, considering "The Last of Us Day" was a pitiful excuse to plug poor taste and over-priced paraphernalia for profit, I'm not gonna hold my breath here. The first game's multiplayer was an entertaining diversion, but not worth waiting for a follow up. I feel they've missed their window - but I'm happy to be wrong. I suspect the multiplayer will be "bundled" with the Part 2 remaster for PS5 to justify a full fat price. Fingers crossed for those waiting they don't try positioning it as a live service game.

MrFunSocks

Banned
I'm sure he's completely impartial and not at all trying to hype up his product......

How did this even get a thread?

At this stage it has to be coming to PS5, likely with a paid "remaster". No point releasing it on PS4 after the PS5 has already released.

Last edited:
Didn't he say that about the main game?

Fool me once..

It's a polished work of art regardless of how you felt about the story. There is no way you can be "fooled" on Factions as it has no story to speak off. It's TLOU II gameplay raw in all its beauty mano a mano.

Fooled can't be fooled again.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Quench your thirst on this $30 goodie while you wait.

1440876_b.jpg

The Last of Us Part II Logo Water Bottle
Item: 1440876
$32.95 - $26.36

MiguelItUp

And just like that I feel like it's not going to be worth the wait at all.

I mean, it wasn't for everyone anyway, but, yeah. The longer it's dragged out the less people will care. Unless it truly is remarkable. But I doubt that so much.

wolywood

Nice! I wonder how much of those death animations will be in the multiplayer that exist in the single player. The damage the weapons did to people was just amazing! One of my favorite aspects of the game. Red Dead 2 and The Last Of Us 2 imho did the best job with actually fucking show people what happens when you shoot someone with a shotgun, rifle etc.

Till this day I'm still puzzled as to why that is not the default with M rated titles with guns.

It's funny - the developers went on and on about how much work they put into making players feel bad about the consequences of in game violence in the Last of Us 2 ....ultra realistic shotgun damage, limbs getting blown off, NPC's screaming and begging for their lives/mourning their comrades, yadda yadda. None of it had the slightest effect on me. And I'm not a violent person, I still can't bring myself to shoot anyone in the No Russian level of Call of Duty MOW2.

Blond

Banned
Oh.....they will.

They charged for the remaster of the first game, I see them doing the same for this title. BC doesn't really mean you won't see remasters anymore as for all we know Sony will have it clearly support BC, you'll likely get a res bump and frame bump etc.

The remaster will come with the same, plus different assets, plus RT and different PS5 features.

It was charged because there was a whole new audience of people who abandoned the Xbox and switched to PlayStation and it would be stupid to not capitalize. And not to mention it came out over a year after the original, had better graphics, double the frame rate, all the multiplayer content and a free update and they’d be crazy to not sell it to these people who migrated over. I didn’t even buy it since I beat the ps3 version until I saw it for 10 bucks like a year ago.

If people want free upgrades so bad just buy a PC and upgrade the gpu lol

What are the chances of Last Of Us going open world and you having to scavenge and survive against other humans an infected like State of Decay.

This is the kind of direction i hope the game goes into in future.

Salz01

I’m sure it will have some type of battle royal mode, but I want the same modes as the first one. Just new maps. Hell if they just added new maps to the first I would be happy.

Top Bottom