• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neil Druckmann States That They're "Moving On" From "Uncharted", Might be the same for "The Last of Us"

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Great news. Do that Sci fi game with a different director and writer and let drunkman have his input on season 3 of last of us.

I still wanted Abby DLC though, which sucks

Elios83

That's the best scenario for me, let Uncharted be continued by an other team within Sony (the IP is too big and successful to be done, fans want an other game), the main Naughty Dog team is focused on a totally new IP while a smaller team does initial research on a possible TLOU3.

Last edited:

Ammogeddon

About damn time. I suppose I can understand a third last of us but ND really need to move on from their adventure cover shooter shtick.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
https://www.buzzfeed.com/natashajokic1/last-of-us-behind-the-scenes

To be fair with Uncharted, it could have meant that they are done with Nathan's story. Who really knows though as it could be spun differently in context.

Other quotes with regards to The Last of Us series:

As much as it saddens me, but yeah TLOU within 2 entries has made a lot. I think they crippled the series by killing Joel, so anything more is kinda a drag. TLOU1+2 are one of my best games of all times, same with Uncharted. Uncharted as well has more wiggle room, but starting fresh with a new IP is always great so when you get back to these titles you feel so refreshed and avoid creative fatigue.

If they announce TLOU3 and Uncharted5 I might tear out of joy, but it's very understandable. Sometimes we don't know what we need until we get it, like moving on from Infamous to Ghost of Tsushima.

saintjules

As much as it saddens me, but yeah TLOU within 2 entries has made a lot. I think they crippled the series by killing Joel, so anything more is kinda a drag. TLOU1+2 are one of my best games of all times, same with Uncharted. Uncharted as well has more wiggle room, but starting fresh with a new IP is always great so when you get back to these titles you feel so refreshed and avoid creative fatigue.

If they announce TLOU3 and Uncharted5 I might tear out of joy, but it's very understandable. Sometimes we don't know what we need until we get it, like moving on from Infamous to Ghost of Tsushima.

I agree with what you're saying. I'm probably one of the few that wasn't up in arms over Joel's death. However, I did play the game only once through. Started a 2nd playthrough under the new PS5 update, but haven't finished it. My opinion of the death may differ once I refresh my mind of the story again.

tmlDan

What on earth are YOU talking about if you can't see the difference between the trilogy and 4

Did they made it slower and lacking replay ability? Yes

Did they made it melodramatic? Yes

Did they force Nate into retiring from adventure? Yes

Did you even play the original games? Apparently not
Nobody agrees with you, UC4 is the best in the series, close to UC2. The game has better gameplay mechanics, story, and a wonderful ending.

You just have bad taste.

OT yes, please move on, i always want new IP - its way more exciting than sequels no matter how much i like the original game.

Majormaxxx

Nobody agrees with you, UC4 is the best in the series, close to UC2. The game has better gameplay mechanics, story, and a wonderful ending.

You just have bad taste.

OT yes, please move on, i always want new IP - its way more exciting than sequels no matter how much i like the original game.
Nobody agrees with you. Idiot.

Putonahappyface

Gold Member
“Our process is the same thing we did when we did Part 2, which is if we can come up with a compelling story that has this universal message and statement about love — just like the first and second game did — then we will tell that story. If we can’t come up with something, we have a very strong ending with Part 2 and that will be the end.”

axaIW2T.jpg

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I agree with what you're saying. I'm probably one of the few that wasn't up in arms over Joel's death. However, I did play the game only once through. Started a 2nd playthrough under the new PS5 update, but haven't finished it. My opinion of the death may differ once I refresh my mind of the story again.

It's like killing Solid Snake but less honorable. Joel to me is one of the best characters in gaming, very unique in games as I don't remember a father figure in games that is as decorated as Joel is. He's just so relatable. That relationship depth in the TLOU1 is just out of this world, a miracle in gaming.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
They wouldn't be able to make another Uncharted with the original cast even if they wanted.

Which also explains Lost Legacy.

And it's a shame, because an old school Uncharted with younger Sully and Nate would likely be my most anticipated game. Wouldn't mind at all a TLOU like this as well:

I'm as usual having trouble understanding all the "Good" and "Finally" when we are surrounded all the time by absolutely useless and uninspired sequels of crap games.. both these series gave us timeless masterpieces and I'd gladily take the chance to get another one.

Money talks, but some are getting up there in age.

Majormaxxx

sorry, didn't mean to trigger you. I didn't know you were so sensitive
Some people use this verb unironically. To use it in order to make a joke trivializes it. When everything is a "trigger," or when everything is "racist," these once powerful words lose their impact and ultimately their utility.

If I were you, I would not use this word to try to insult people.

That’s fine by me. Both games had a definitive ending and don’t need sequels. Ellie and Abby’s stories have been told and there’s nothing left to say when it comes to TLoU. Same with Uncharted, we’ve seen Drakes story, we even got standalone DLC.

Move on and make another IP. Not everything needs to be a sequel.

saintjules

It's like killing Solid Snake but less honorable. Joel to me is one of the best characters in gaming, very unique in games as I don't remember a father figure in games that is as decorated as Joel is. He's just so relatable. That relation depth in the TLOU1 is just out of this world, a miracle in gaming.

Perhaps the ideology in the world of TLOU is that death could happen at any point and the offender committing the act could be anyone as well.

Maybe sometimes it's cliche to see the honorable death scenes and ND wanted to do something different. This death was unexpected from the player's POV and was most likely the intention.

This is the type of stuff I want more of; the unpredictable stuff that makes you feel a certain way afterwards. Like Sam and Henry. I couldn't play for an hour after that scene.

Madflavor

“Our process is the same thing we did when we did Part 2, which is if we can come up with a compelling story that has this universal message and statement about love — just like the first and second game did — then we will tell that story. If we can’t come up with something, we have a very strong ending with Part 2 and that will be the end.”

What exactly was their message with TLOU2?

Hugare

They wouldn't be able to make another Uncharted with the original cast even if they wanted.

Which also explains Lost Legacy.

And it's a shame, because an old school Uncharted with younger Sully and Nate would likely be my most anticipated game. Wouldn't mind at all a TLOU like this as well:

I'm as usual having trouble understanding all the "Good" and "Finally" when we are surrounded all the time by absolutely useless and uninspired sequels of crap games.. both these series gave us timeless masterpieces and I'd gladily take the chance to get another one.

FFS, this "Neil booted Amy" conspiracy will never go away?

Firing Amy was a decision made by the company, not directly by Neil.

There were multiple reports saying that the game was in development hell while Amy was directing it. She was the writer of the series until then, not the director.

So It's not a reach to think that she bit more than she could chew, directing ND's first PS4 game, her 2nd directed game since Jak 3 in 2004.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Perhaps the ideology in the world of TLOU is that death could happen at any point and the offender committing the act could be anyone as well.

Maybe sometimes it's cliche to see the honorable death scenes and ND wanted to do something different. This death was unexpected from the player's POV and was most likely the intention.

This is the type of stuff I want more of; the unpredictable stuff that makes you feel a certain way afterwards. Like Sam and Henry. I couldn't play for an hour after that scene.

Yeah I respect that, but then let me stick with Ellie ffs. Jumping back and forth was an immersion breaker to me.

There's nothing more depressing than a studio like Naughty Dog stuck with the same IPs for decades so this is great news.
As much as i want a new IP, Naughty Dog having 2 massive hit IP's in the last 10 years is something few studios have. Imagine being Coalition studios and only making Gears of War games since 2006

kadab

So he really wants to make us believe that they maybe are going to stop the last of us, that game is his baby/creation and he is going to milk the shit out of it, especially after the succes of the tv series
there will be plenty more last of us games for the coming 10 years.
As for Uncharted he was just a Hitchhiker.

dcx4610

We will see about that. Especially when TV execs demand another game.

The best part will be when they model the characters after the TV show and ruin continuity.

I’d play a proper Last of Us 3 but Uncharted feels finished and overplayed. Make new IPs just like you did with those.

Puscifer

Gold Member
Hope so, especially TLoU, Factions looks like it would be an amazing swan song.

Uncharted, I'm divided. Lost Legacy was amazing. I'd take another 8-10 hour open mini open world like that, even if Drake's not the protag.
I wish more developers would go the Yakuza or Nier Automata route and crate a small to medium sandbox stuffed to the gills with content. Seems to really work well for them and I think a lot of developers could benefit as well.

Last edited:

digdug2

I think TLOU mirrors real life in many ways. One of them being: if you fuck over the wrong person, you could very well end up dead, and in a very unceremonious way.

Hope so, especially TLoU, Factions looks like it would be an amazing swan song.

Uncharted, I'm divided. Lost Legacy was amazing. I'd take another 8-10 hour open mini open world like that, even if Drake's not the protag.
The series is literally begging for a prequel game with that length or longer.

Nate in-between the Panamanian Jail incident and Drakes Fortune, similar to the Eye of Indra motion comic.

They should bring Eddy Raja back as Nate's sidekick. In my opinion he was one of the best villains in all of the games. He was actually really funny.

On another note, I'd be fine if Naughty Dog didn't make themselves. If you've played Golden Abyss by Bend Studios on the Vita you'll notice that all of the animations were carried over from Uncharted 2.

So imagine if another studio was given the animation data from Uncharted 4 and they made it for PS5. It could make for an awesome game.

Edit: Oh and you know what would really sell and kick some serious ass? A reboot trilogy where you play as Sir Francis Drake with a sword and flintlock!

Last edited:
Oh uc definitely has better shooting, but i prefer Lara’s floatier movement in the new games to the somewhat heavy realism of uncharted.

Man uncharted 2 mulitplayer was phenomenal back in the day.
Uncharted 2 had the best multiplayer out of all of them.

It was so simple and everything was balanced.

They made is too complicated and closer to CoD with 3 and 4. At that point all of it's uniqueness was gone.

Gojiira

Well thats pretty good news really, Playstation needs new IPs, new killer apps. Hopefully they go back to that scrapped sci-fi franchise they worked on or branch out into a new genre entirely. Their tech and expertise going into Playstations ‘Elder Scrolls’ or hell ‘Pokemon’ or just anything unlike previous games would be sick, not necessarily these examples but just something unlike their back catalogue.

Give me your scrapped Sci-fi game Naughty Dog.

Do Want Give It To Me GIF
Did they scrap it? As far as I know it was a just a rumor based around the Savage Starlight comics in The Last of Us Part 1.

Who's to say they aren't still working on it and are waiting to bash Starfield over the head with it.

Now it would most likely feel and play like a completely different game, not to mention it would probably be in third person.

But if I was a Sony executive, that's what I'd be trying to do.

nial

Gold Member
The thing about Uncharted is that it's too big a franchise to let go. We have rumors that another in-house Sony studio is making a new UC game, but I can see it as a shorter experience like Lost Legacy. About TLOU, reading his comments it sounds like a third game could be the last, and yes, after that the franchise can continue to live on in Factions every generation from now, so I don't think Sony should worry about that.

Elysion

Banned
Uncharted is the kind of IP that could theoretically go on forever without people getting bored with it, as long as they space them out enough (like Mario or Zelda games basically).

Unfortunately, ND kinda wrote themselves into a corner with U4, though I personally think they already started going in the wrong direction with U2, when they brought back Elena and made her Nate‘s permanent love interest. She was a much more fun character in the first game, but then turned into a bit of a nag in subsequent entries. Imo it would’ve been better if there was a different love interest for Nate in each game, similar to the Indiana Jones movies, or James Bond. Chloe was perfect for that role in U2, Elena‘s inclusion wasn’t necessary. U3 and 4 should‘ve each had different girls as well. The fact that Golden Abyss had a totally new female lead was the best part of that game.

Nate the womanizer > Nate the family man

The only way around Nate’s retirement is if future Uncharted games are prequels, similar to Golden Abyss. I absolutely do not want a ‚one last job‘ story for U5, nor do I wanna play as Nate‘s daughter. I guess a Sully prequel would be ok in a pinch, but I really would prefer to play as Nate again.

As for TLoU, I‘m one of those who think part 1 didn’t need a sequel in the first place, at least not with Ellie and Joel again. I would’ve preferred a new story with new characters, totally unconnected to the first game. I hope that‘s what they‘ll do if they’ll ever do another TLoU game.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Neil said they'll return to The Last of Us Part II if they had a compelling story and he pitched ideas to Tory and Ashely shortly after the release of Left Behind DLC.

2014 - Started the development of The Last of Us Part II
2016 - The Last of Us Part II is announced.
2017 - They shifted their development to The Last of Us Part II after Lost Legacy. The game 50% - 60% complete at this time.
2019 - Game was originally planned to be released in Fall, but bumped to 2020 (according to Jason Schreier).
2020 - Released June 2020 (Feb and May were the original release dates).

I'm sure the game is in development, but how far it's in development is the question. I don't think they're looking to capitalize on The Last Of Us because the TV show is popular, they have this stuff planned out years in advance and I would bet The Last of Us Part III is part of it.

And when you see stuff like this, it makes it obvious they want to put out games in a timely manner.

I still think a new IP is being released within the next few years and then after that, The Last of Us Part III (Not including Multiplayer).

Last edited:

YukiOnna

I don't care about TLOU anymore, so it's whatever on that front.

As for Uncharted, my opinion remains the same, it doesn't have to end, nor do they have to keep it Nate's final chapter. Hopefully, the rumor about another studio on it is true if ND isn't interested in pursuing it. It's the one series that would never get old.

I think he‘s just saying what he needs to since they aren’t about to announce part 3 yet. No way they don't make a 3rd with those sales numbers.
Especially now that there is a TV show that for all intents seems like a real winner. Will push anything TLOU related higher in sales numbers.

Last edited:

ACESHIGH

Banned
Good. How about working on a full fat RPG? I mean true RPG not action games where numbers go up like HZD or God of war.

Seems like the next step for them

Last edited:

Madflavor

That nobody wins when you carry out so much hatred and vengeance. That, you impact others around you who were not part of it at all as well, whether emotionally, physically, or death. I.e., selfish.

Yeah I know I was mainly taking the piss outta the story. I know it's a "Vengeance is bad mmmkay?" story, but I felt it got a little too lost in it's delivery. The ending in particular is pretty unintentionally funny to me.

Maybe the show will do it better.

Top Bottom