• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neil Druckmann States That They're "Moving On" From "Uncharted", Might be the same for "The Last of Us"

Vick

Gold Member
Oh uc definitely has better shooting, but i prefer Lara’s floatier movement in the new games to the somewhat heavy realism of uncharted.
Man, I find this legit shocking to read.
To me controlling Nate at 30fps always felt a billion times more fluid and responsive than TR games at 60+, for every single action the characters could perform.

H9arRiP.gif

PartialInbornIguana-size_restricted.gif

P4Dg.gif

WeightyDeficientIvorybilledwoodpecker-size_restricted.gif

Last edited:

Umbasaborne

Banned
Man, I find this legit shocking to read.
To me controlling Nate at 30fps always felt a billion times more fluid and responsive than TR games at 60+, for every single action the characters could perform.
Eh, agree to disagree haha

Last edited:
Great news!

Give any future Uncharted projects to another developer. I don't mind a TLOUIII but a new IP from ND is waaaaay more spicey and appealing for me.

I'd love a buddy-cop detective story in a sci-fi universe from ND.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I'm happy for them if they move on. A new IP would be refreshing in the age of safe sequels and remakes.

Which means if Sony tells you to make The Last of Us 3 or Uncharted 5, your bitch ass is gonna bend over and say "yes sir, we'll make another!"

thank-you-sir-may-i-have-another.gif

Its clear SIE doesn’t force their studios into making games they want. I assume if the studios want to make multiplayer or vr games SIE gives them extra incentive to do so but most of them are free to do whatever they want, especially Naughty Dog

https://www.buzzfeed.com/natashajokic1/last-of-us-behind-the-scenes

To be fair with Uncharted, it could have meant that they are done with Nathan's story. Who really knows though as it could be spun differently in context.

Other quotes with regards to The Last of Us series:
And thats great, If you can't come up with a good story or reason (apart from sales) to do another sequel to those Ips then don't make them.

I will gladly accept something new that fits my taste.

They must be fairly well into their next project whether it's a new ip or TLOU III?

Would be great to see something new, exciting for the devs too but the time it takes to develop games now it will be tempting to push on with part III. I doubt they're deciding now.

Last edited:

Alebrije

We will have Uncharted and TLOU for long time unless ND developes new IPs that can substitute them in terms of financial success.

Sony will keep delivering those games even without ND involved if its necessary.

Just hope that ND comes with something like Metal Gear Solid in therms of character development, lore, technogy...etc.

Hope so, especially TLoU, Factions looks like it would be an amazing swan song.

Uncharted, I'm divided. Lost Legacy was amazing. I'd take another 8-10 hour open mini open world like that, even if Drake's not the protag.
Absolutely. I'm done with Nathan and Sully but I'm not against something with Chloe and Nadine if has about the same scope as Lost Legacy.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Lets look at what Cuckman says vs what reality is...

Reality: I do believe they've moved on from Uncharted, BUT......i bet another dev does a new game. It has a great following a PS5 only Uncharted could be fantastic.

I do NOT believe they will ever move on from Last of Us. Look at the popularity of the tv series and how they remastered/remade LOU1 44 times. They have this LOU Multiplayer game they're working on. They are going to bleed this series dry.

The sad thing is, they can and should do something new, or at least give Jak and Daxter a shot again. He's too much of a woke egomaniac though to do that.

sainraja

Naughty Dog has generally done a new IP with each generation but it kinda changed during the PS4 gen and I suppose the rising costs of development and the time it has been taking is probably one of the factors.

I would love a new Uncharted with Nathan though! It's my favorite series and favorite character OR do a full remake of the first 3 games. :D

Last edited:
Lets look at what Cuckman says vs what reality is...

Reality: I do believe they've moved on from Uncharted, BUT......i bet another dev does a new game. It has a great following a PS5 only Uncharted could be fantastic.

I do NOT believe they will ever move on from Last of Us. Look at the popularity of the tv series and how they remastered/remade LOU1 44 times. They have this LOU Multiplayer game they're working on. They are going to bleed this series dry.

The sad thing is, they can and should do something new, or at least give Jak and Daxter a shot again. He's too much of a woke egomaniac though to do that.
Uncharted 2 movie is likely happening. A new team could reboot it with Tom Holland in the game and remake the first game.

Last edited:
I would like more fun world hopping Uncharted adventure.
No more of that Gritty, dark, serious, drama concentrate of Last of US. I'll just watch the HBO series.

Exede

-Uncharted had a great ending for the franchise, i don't really need a 5th entry.
-The last of us was great, doesn't need a 2nd game either. (Part 2 is not canon for me to keep a healthy mind set)
-Maybe a ND Warhammer 40k game would be nice

Madflavor

LOL so that's how the story of TLOU ends then? That's how things end for our good ol' girl Ellie?

What a lovely fucking story. Thanks Neil :messenger_tears_of_joy:

ABnormal

Last of Us Part 3 will be TV exclusive.

Fire Plotting GIF by Studio Redfrog
Well, I would be happy about that.

New IPs are needed to push the medium forward (if they are developed around current gen hardware possibilities), and to make the offer fresh. And it's really time to do it.

GrayDock

They could at least let someone remaster/remake the Uncharted Golden Abyss - it's a shame that game is 'locked' on the psvita.
And a new Uncharted series, by another studio, with Nate's daughter as a protag and Nate 'as Sully' would be awesome.

And I fear what would happen in a TLoU3... They probably would kill Ellie by let her get infected after so many time exposed to the fungus. It would be a nice, but cruel, 'final' journey.

Jak and Daxter is not happening unless it's some small side project. They will be doing something that blurs the lines of film and gaming, with an important human story, could be part fantasy/sci-fi.

Salz01

But I really want another uncharted. It was light hearted fun, good set pieces etc, decent characters through out. It was a good change of pace from TLOU, which seems super depressing and serious all ,the time. Outside of course to the snowball fight and the Trex Museum/ Giraffe.

Uncharted is and always be an excellent adventure series that we could use more of. After five of them though I'd be fine letting them retire to move on to something else. ND is always going to be a studio that has my attention regardless of what they do.

TLOU series is highly unlikely to be stopping anytime soon after the good sales of the second one and the incredibly success of the HBO series. There's no way in hell their going to shut down something that's even reinvigorating sales of the first game. Stories in the universe can close, sure, but there's a lot more to be had as well.

Waiting on the Abby Powerlifting Sim Spinoff.
Power washing simulator: Clean the mud 'n blood off those 20 inch guns.

New IP coming up after factions is pretty much confirmed? It always made no sense that ND was possibly in full development of TLOU part 3 when Druckmann was busy creating the show the last two years. Outside of Rockstar, no developer has as much talent from a technical standpoint as Naughty Dog. I really hope they do something sci-fi or fantasy based for possible new IP

ToTTenTranz

Banned
I'd play 10 more Uncharteds before playing another TLoU.

I'm kind of done with zombie apocalypses in media, and their ensuing stories of human beings treating each other like shit.

Last edited:

yurinka

I suggest reading his full quote in the original interview to see what Druckmann really meant: he was focusing on telling that Sony doesn't force ND to make sequels, and instead ND decides to work on what ND wants, depending if they find there's a good story to tell.

After Uncharted 4 they moved to TLOU2 and later to TLOU Online. Sounds they are more interested on a new IP next, and that to have TLOU3 or not would depend if they manage to get a compelling enough story.

Regarding Uncharted, a few months ago both ND studio directors said that they are interested to continue working on Uncharted, TLOU and new IPs. Before that they mentioned they saw Uncharted 4 as the end of Nate's arc.

So probably they continue with a reboot, spinoff, remakes/remasters or simply overview other studio who would lead the next main Uncharted while ND is busy focused on other games (as could be now TLOU MP and a new IP).

Uncharted movie and games have been so successful, so if ND really doesn't want to make more Uncharted, I assume Sony will continue making Uncharted in other studios.

Didn’t they already hand off uncharted? I thought I saw something about that.
In an article where Jason Schreier leaked legit Sony stuff mixed with some lies and FUD later debunked by top Sony devs, he mentioned that after Days Gone, Sony Bend did help ND in the TLOU Online game and started to codevelop an Uncharted spin-off with ND until Bend's next project was greenlighted: the next Bend new IP.

According to Jason Bend was afraid of being absorved by ND, but the Days Gone game directors said it wasn't the case, and that during decades ND and Bend helped each other (in big studios it's common to help other teams between projects).

New IP coming up after factions is pretty much confirmed? It always made no sense that ND was possibly in full development of TLOU part 3 when Druckmann was busy creating the show the last two years. Outside of Rockstar, no developer has as much talent from a technical standpoint as Naughty Dog. I really hope they do something sci-fi or fantasy based for possible new IP
They worked in way more things during these couple of years.

Since the TLOU2 release, in addition to the Uncharted movie and TLOU tv show they worked on the TLOUP1 remake and the Uncharted remasters, plus have been working on their upcoming TLOU MP game. Druckmann also mentioned that he wrote a first draft of what would be the main story of TLOU3 in case they would ever decide to develop it somewhere in the future.

Some hints lead to thing they may also be working on a new IP, and at least until a year or two ago on an Uncharted spinoff at least codeveloped if now almost fully outsourced to Bend (who now is working on something else, so if it wasn't canned it should continue being developed at ND or somewhere else, maybe at Bluepoint).

Last edited:
It would be great if they went back to something fun rather than EDGY and MATURE, for super edgy adult types. imho naughty dog were in their stride with Crash and Jak 1, and started to veer into ever cringier waters with Jak 2 and so on.

iorek21

Uncharted could easily go on indefinitely since it’s the kind of setting that is limitless in its potential. As for TLOU, I don’t think so, it’s just too heavy and kind of limited.

Bartski

Gold Member
the franchise will easily hit 50 mil by the end of this year. There is no way Part 3 is not in production in some way allready

Its kind of funny how theres a great expectation on naughty dog and naughty dog only to do something new when you have people that are gonna go crazy over GTA6 and 10 years from now go crazy over Red Dead Redemption 3

Top Bottom