• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neil Druckmann States That They're "Moving On" From "Uncharted", Might be the same for "The Last of Us"

saintjules

https://www.buzzfeed.com/natashajokic1/last-of-us-behind-the-scenes

“For us, Uncharted was insanely successful — Uncharted 4 was one of our best selling games — and we’re able to put our final brushstroke on that story and say that we’re done. We’re moving on.

To be fair with Uncharted, it could have meant that they are done with Nathan's story. Who really knows though as it could be spun differently in context.

Other quotes with regards to The Last of Us series:

“Likewise, with The Last of Us, it’s up to us whether we want to continue it or not,” he said.
“I know there’s a bunch of people wondering about The Last of Us Part 3 and whether that will be a thing or not,” he said. “All I could say is, at Naughty Dog we’re very, very privileged that our publisher is Sony — which means Sony funds our games, supports us, and we’re owned by Sony.
“Our process is the same thing we did when we did Part 2, which is if we can come up with a compelling story that has this universal message and statement about love — just like the first and second game did — then we will tell that story. If we can’t come up with something, we have a very strong ending with Part 2 and that will be the end.”

Give me your scrapped Sci-fi game Naughty Dog.

Do Want Give It To Me GIF

Last edited:

dugdug

Banned
Makes sense. I’d love a Part 3, but, only if their hearts are in it.

And I’m perfectly fine with the story ending where 2 did. But, then again, I didn’t think I wanted a sequel after the first one so I’m sure I could be surprised.

Last edited:

ABnormal

I would strongly prefer a completely new ip, also bringing their expertise on refining other kinds of gameplay.

Just thinking of a Fantasy or Sci-Fi ip from them, with their quality on tech, animations, level building and gameplay, makes me giddy.

If anything, those statements seem to make clear that they are not at work on previous ip, so they have to be at work on something new (in addition to Factions).

Last edited:

3liteDragon

Fine with them leaving Uncharted, but I hope they make one last TLOU game with a definitive overall ending & then move on from the IP. New IP‘s also fine by me as well.

Create a new IP with that promising engine & tech. You can keep the cinematic feel, but make it less linear and more open world.
So much potential if its next-gen only.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I hope they're working on a new IP (because I'd love to see another story from Naughty Dog), but even if it's TLOU 3, I'm all in!

Honestly, Naughty Dog could make a game about watching paint dry for all I care, and I'll still be there from day one. They have literally never disappointed me! 10/10 studio.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
After the last two I'm done with both.
TLOU was a one and done game and should of stayed that way.
But I would accept another Uncharted, but I just don't know where they would go with it other then a sequel to Lost Legacy or a completely new cast.
But I just don't have faith in ND to make a new likeable cast that will live up to the original.
So good, let's move on and see what the future brings for outside Uncharted & TLOU.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
There will 100% be a TLOU 3 at some point. Probably after a new project. But that HBO success all but guarantees it.

He’s already written the script lol

Aenima

Im ok with NaughtyDog moving to new IPs, but i want more Uncharted games as well. Thers almost no big treasure hunter games, its been Uncharted and Tomb Raider, and Tomb Raider has been mediocre since the reboot.

I think he‘s just saying what he needs to since they aren’t about to announce part 3 yet. No way they don't make a 3rd with those sales numbers.
Logistically it literally has to be part 3. The TV show, and reality makes it pretty obvious.

But they're probably doing 2 games at once.

Yoboman

Uncharted got a proper conclusion

TLOU3 will get that, so no use pretending it's over until that happens

If we do a new IP before Part 3 though I won't complain

just_jr

I've always thougth after finishing U4 that they would start a new journey with Nate's daughter as the main protagonist

Umbasaborne

Banned
Im ok with NaughtyDog moving to new IPs, but i want more Uncharted games as well. Thers almost no big treasure hunter games, its been Uncharted and Tomb Raider, and Tomb Raider has been mediocre since the reboot.
i think the new tomb raider games are way more enjoyable from a gameplay perspective than the uncharted games. Ill definitely give uc the edge for story though

GHG

Gold Member
Uncharted is very much a stale formula at this point. It needs a long rest and then a reboot if it is to return.

As for TLOU I'm not particularly fussed either way but I'd much rather see something new from them.

Aenima

i think the new tomb raider games are way more enjoyable from a gameplay perspective than the uncharted games. Ill definitely give uc the edge for story though
Not for me. Uncharted shooting and movement feels amazing with all weapons. Tomb Raider only feels good using a bow, all movement using other weapons feel like crap. You cant even run and gun in the new Tomb Raiders something that you can do in Uncharted and the old Tomb Raiders.

Only good thing about the new Tomb Raiders is the puzzles from raiding tombs that have been improving since the 1st reboot game.

Last edited:

Vick

Gold Member
They wouldn't be able to make another Uncharted with the original cast even if they wanted.

Which also explains Lost Legacy.

And it's a shame, because an old school Uncharted with younger Sully and Nate would likely be my most anticipated game. Wouldn't mind at all a TLOU like this as well:

Just make a game focused on Anna, Marlene, Tess, Joel, Tommy and Bill.
The characters are all interconnected and there's plenty of interesting stuff to do with them still.

I'm as usual having trouble understanding all the "Good" and "Finally" when we are surrounded all the time by absolutely useless and uninspired sequels of crap games.. both these series gave us timeless masterpieces and I'd gladily take the chance to get another one.

Lasha

Naughty Dog has been making basically the same game since 2007. It has released TLOU three times in one form or another. Its time for them to blow our minds with something else. I would love for them to break new ground on an IP with the same fun and whimsy as Crash and Jak. They are too good to keep making over the shoulder shooters.

Majormaxxx

Naughty Dog has been making basically the same game since 2007. It has released TLOU three times in one form or another. Its time for them to blow our minds with something else. I would love for them to break new ground on an IP with the same fun and whimsy as Crash and Jak. They are too good to keep making over the shoulder shooters.
Obviously they need to do Abby and Ellie's Golf Cart Racing Unlimited.

Umbasaborne

Banned
Not for me. Uncharted shooting feels amazing with all weapons. Tomb Raider only feels good using a bow, all movement using other weapons feel like crap.

Only good thing about the new Tomb Raiders is the puzzles from raiding tombs that have been improving since the 1st reboot game.
I think if uncharted had the extra traversal options, puzzles and explorable crypts/ caves/challenge tombs of the new tr games, that might be a perfect game for me

Vick

Gold Member
Tomb Raider games feel like absolute shit to control coming from Uncharted games though, same exact feeling as playing Cyberpunk right after Doom.
Remember Uncharted worked flawlessly as a competitive TPS, still active after 7 years.

What Tomb Raider games got better, imo, is the game structure. I just find them more engaging.

Unknown?

I enjoyed part 2(outside of storytelling) but when it was announced I was so underwhelmed. The first was so perfect and wrapped up it didn't need a sequel and I still think it should have been one and done.

I would not want a part 3 with where they took the story in part 2.

Majormaxxx

What on earth are you talking about?
What on earth are YOU talking about if you can't see the difference between the trilogy and 4

Did they made it slower and lacking replay ability? Yes

Did they made it melodramatic? Yes

Did they force Nate into retiring from adventure? Yes

Did you even play the original games? Apparently not

Umbasaborne

Banned
Tomb Raider games feel like absolute shit to control coming from Uncharted games though, same exact feeling as playing Cyberpunk right after Doom.
Remember Uncharted worked flawlessly as a competitive TPS, still active after 7 years.

What Tomb Raider games got better, imo, is the game structure. I just find them more engaging.
Oh uc definitely has better shooting, but i prefer Lara’s floatier movement in the new games to the somewhat heavy realism of uncharted.

Man uncharted 2 mulitplayer was phenomenal back in the day.

Sony hasn't had much success farming out their IP, but if they're able to build a studio around Uncharted with the support of Naughty Dog, that will be a massive accomplishment.

To continue/reboot the franchise and keep it going while Naughty Dog focuses on bigger things is a win-win for everyone involved.

Ultimately, that is what is going to allow Sony to continue growing and maturing and not bore their staff.

Imagine had Microsoft let Bungie work on whatever they wanted and they built up 343i to take Halo and had Bungie oversee the production... Where would Microsoft be now, and where would Halo be now? They'd probably have Destiny as an exclusive, Halo would probably be a top notch franchise still, and Microsoft would have a killer app.

ultrazilla

“I know there’s a bunch of people wondering about The Last of Us Part 3 and whether that will be a thing or not,” he said. “All I could say is, at Naughty Dog we’re very, very privileged that our publisher is Sony — which means Sony funds our games, supports us, and we’re owned by Sony.

Which means if Sony tells you to make The Last of Us 3 or Uncharted 5, your bitch ass is gonna bend over and say "yes sir, we'll make another!"

thank-you-sir-may-i-have-another.gif

Top Bottom