• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hey Guest. Check out the NeoGAF 2.2 Update Thread for details on our new Giphy integration and other new features.

Neil Druckmann promoted to Co-President of Naughty Dog, Alison Mori and Christian Gyrling to VP

EDMIX

Apr 5, 2018
South Florida aka Outer Haven
I didn’t like TLOU2 or UC4, but I don’t doubt they are popular and sold real well. Not a surprising promotion. ND has a lot of talent in their studio. I’d like to see them try a fresh idea.

The other half that made Uncharted 4 to my understanding is doing a new IP. I'm really hype to see what they are up to.

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2019
And I think you meant Salt Lake City? You could probably dedicate entire games to those long ass trips haha.
Probably, and you're right, it would have made ne sense to do this all... It just annoyed me that they did all that unsafe road so many times to chack stuff in so little time, the hospital was empty from either people or humans most of the time too (I know they kind of explain it while you play as Abby, but the explanation seemed like a throw away thing to me).

The_Mike

Nov 5, 2017
Denmark
It's the #1 most completed AAA single player game on playstation. It also has rave consumer reviews from people who actually bought the game on PSN & amazon. Cut the shit, twerp

The game having a very positive reviews on the PlayStation is like asking a arsenal fan club which football team is the best.

People like you show your stupidity when you bring this up. This game had 20,000+ user scores of like 0/10 the moment that reviews went up the night it launched. None of those obviously even played the game. It was nothing but trolls and haters flooding it which takes all credibility away from it. There were Youtubers who had a problem with Abby having muscles sending their hate mobs to leave 0/10 reviews for it. So yeah when you actually have some proof that all those people played the game and hated it then you might have an argument. Until then you're as big a clown as The Quartering.

If I am so stupid, then tell me why the first game didn't get bombed. Only because of a tranny? Please.
Outer Worlds is a world with only Abby tranny types, lesbians and gender bendering, yet it has a 7. 3 user score.

Having to attack me like that just shows how weak your own arguments are.

Heck, I bought a PS4 only for one game, and that was tlou, and I will never buy the sequel cus ifs so shit. That says something when an "idiot"like me only buys a console for one game, and doesn't bother buying the sequel.

But does it matter though? Instead of being this angry over not everyone liking the game, just slam the game into your system and relax to Abbys chill bro moment with his friend.

Last edited:

Bramble

Jan 15, 2016
The general public is not exactly renowned for its good taste or exacting standards, so I'm not too bothered by this. The competition this year was weak (Ghost of Tsushima's narrative is if anything even worse than TLoU2's, for all that game's technical and artistic brilliance, and the only other plausible contender is Animal Crossing). In a few years' time nobody will consider TLoU2 a great game, unlike TLoU1.

Going through this thread, you really must be a fun guy. Especially at parties. I can almost taste the salt.

Reactions: EDMIX

Mercenary09

Dec 23, 2019
The game having a very positive reviews on the PlayStation is like asking a arsenal fan club which football team is the best.
The game has mostly positive reviews on Amazon, Best Buy, and many other places that actually show whether you bought it or not. People like you think that Metacritic user reviews that anyone can leave are more legit b/c you have no other argument to make. Not that that's much of an argument anyway. Vocal minority always thinks they represent all.

• Thoughtful

Mercenary09

Dec 23, 2019

If I am so stupid, then tell me why the first game didn't get bombed. Only because of a tranny? Please.
Outer Worlds is a world with only Abby tranny types, lesbians and gender bendering, yet it has a 7. 3 user score.

Having to attack me like that just shows how weak your own arguments are.

Heck, I bought a PS4 only for one game, and that was tlou, and I will never buy the sequel cus ifs so shit. That says something when an "idiot"like me only buys a console for one game, and doesn't bother buying the sequel.

But does it matter though? Instead of being this angry over not everyone liking the game, just slam the game into your system and relax to Abbys chill bro moment with his friend.
This game got bombed for a variety of reasons. One was because it killed a character that fans thought they'd be playing as again. Another is because the game made you play as the character that killed him and that she had muscles that Youtubers like The Quartering with hateful audiences didn't like. Then you had the trans character. Also before release you had these same Youtubers making it out like Abby was the trans character and so that upset a certain crowd even more because they thought a woman that was really a man killed Joel. All of this stems from the fact that just because a game didn't go the way THEY wanted they wanted to cry about it. That one particular Youtuber directed his audience to flood Metacritic with those scores and he did it every single day with another video crying about the game.

As I said most people seemed to love the game and it's only certain small crowds that keep acting like they represent all and they have nothing to go on other than a Metacritic user review score that anyone with brain cells knows not to look at. Even in some alternate universe where all of those were legit reviews that's like 100,000 out of 7+ million people who bought it. That's a tiny fraction. Get over it.

Last edited:

The_Mike

Nov 5, 2017
Denmark
The game has mostly positive reviews on Amazon, Best Buy, and many other places that actually show whether you bought it or not. People like you think that Metacritic user reviews that anyone can leave are more legit b/c you have no other argument to make. Not that that's much of an argument anyway. Vocal minority always thinks they represent all.

Yeah, it's kinda obvious in this thread. Glad you'd at least admit it after all.

Journalist reviews are just as legit as user reviews. Maybe you're right the user reviews are made by bigots, but journalist reviews are so positive because they are afraid of Sony blacklisting them. Not having the most popular games on their review games on their site is pretty bad, and especially PlayStation exclusives as they are overhyped.

The bullshittery even out it self, but let's pretend people's reviews doesn't exist and it's the journalists that's right.

Journalists that have to get so linear games they are capable of making it through the first 10 minutes of the game. True gamers.

Last edited:

Mercenary09

Dec 23, 2019
Yeah, it's kinda obvious in this thread. Glad you'd at least admit it after all.

Journalist reviews are just as legit as user reviews. Maybe you're right the user reviews are made by bigots, but journalist reviews are so positive because they are afraid of Sony blacklisting them. Not having the most popular games on their review games on their site is pretty bad, and especially PlayStation exclusives as they are overhyped.

The bullshittery even out it self, but let's pretend people's reviews doesn't exist and it's the journalists that's right.

Journalists that have to get so linear games they are capable of making it through the first 10 minutes of the game. True gamers.

Reviewers actually play the game unlike all these fake user scores moron. Also there are several sites that gave the game a less positive score that have continued to get review copies from Sony so there goes that argument of yours. Again more baseless claims from people like you. "I say it so it must be true. Don't ask me for evidence to back up my conspiracy theories."

• LOL
Reactions: EDMIX and The_Mike

The_Mike

Nov 5, 2017
Denmark
Reviewers actually play the game unlike all these fake user scores moron. Also there are several sites that gave the game a less positive score that have continued to get review copies from Sony so there goes that argument of yours. Again more baseless claims from people like you. "I say it so it must be true. Don't ask me for evidence to back up my conspiracy theories."

I won't disturb your TLoU2 crusade any longer, so waste your salty tears on someone else. I clearly made my point here already anyway.

Last edited:

bender

Bending Rodríguez (22, 1,729)
Apr 12, 2010
While I've grown apart from ND's output, you can't deny their success and that's in large part to Neil. Well deserved. Really curious to see what their next new IP is going to be.

May 8, 2019
I didn't feel like I was playing a video game during the parts of TLoU series when I had control of the character on screen. Sure, there's interactivity, but I didn't find that sort of cinematic presentation fun as a game and just makes me want to watch a movie instead with a better story and characters.

We're at a point where people are crying in movie theaters during boring MCU stories, so I can see why this game is as successful as it is and why Neil Druckmann got the promotion. He clearly wants people to think he's a Kubrick or Welles of video games, but he's more of a Guillermo Del Toro. Just imitating and regurgitating generic cliches that he likes. God of War is the same and the cult of personality surrounding "Cory"

EDMIX

Apr 5, 2018

I won't disturb your TLoU2 crusade any longer, so waste your salty tears on someone else. I clearly made my point here already anyway.

Nah man, You are never going to be able to get any rational human being to seriously believe over 20k people within less than an hour beat a game and gave a credible review.

I don't care if you like the game or hate the game, think about it like this if that exact same amount of people were praising the game and giving it a perfect score in less than an hour after its release would you fucking believe the reviews?

Sir those reviews should be disregarded regardless of what they're saying because you're talking about a ridiculous number of people trying to pretend they played a game for Better or For Worse to seriously try to pretend that it's something that could be taken seriously simply to push your own fucking agenda does not help your point, I would argue it makes it very invalid.

So when you're trying to make a meme saying "Gamers" It just doesn't help your argument that you're trying to leave out the context of 20K people posting less than an hour after a games release of a 30 hour game. Why do you want us to assume they are all gamers that bought and beat the game? Why not go into detail if its truthful? So most times when someone does this, its because they WANT it to be true, yet they don't want to actually PROVE that it is. So I think you like the appearance that "oh the gamers spoke" and "oh bro look at the reviews" you don't want the real specific context of those "reviews" as it hurts the narrative you are going for. I'm not saying to like or love the game, but be honest and truthful regarding that situation if you want anyone to take you seriously.

So the situation regarding how those reviews were posted will bring scrutiny to the validity of those reviews regardless of what side of the fence you're on.

To argue for it shows you're extremely salty regarding this game's success to the sad point of trying to pretend those reviews were even valid.

Reactions: Topher70

The_Mike

Nov 5, 2017
Denmark
The only salty ones are the ones like you who can't stop going on about how terrible you think this game is.

So people who didn't enjoy the game are not allowed to say anything. Nice circlejerking you're doing there.

If you don't like my opinion, then don't quote me. Go to a comfy safe zone if you are afraid of someone with a different opinion.

Are you done telling me my opinion is wrong because we aren't circlejerking, or do you still need to waste posts in this thread telling me gamers are shit and journalists is the only thing being trustworthy?

EDMIX

Apr 5, 2018
You jest but that actually happens more than it should in companies. To "promote someone away".

I'm sure it happens, but he has already confirmed he will still be writing and directing. I even get if he was promoted to something with less power, but they literally promoted him to having more control and power over that studio.

I'm not sure how anyone could spin this into some negative thing. If it was for a lessor role or something that was limited I could maybe see it, but to have him as co-president, clearly Sony liked what they saw from The Last Of Us 2 breaking many records for them enough to want him to be one of the people to oversee the whole studio.

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: Hudo

Hudo

Jul 26, 2018
I'm sure it happens, but he has already confirmed he will still be writing and directing. I even get if he was promoted to something with less power, but they literally promoted him to having more control and power over that studio.

I'm not sure how anyone could spin this into some negative thing. If it was for a lessor role or something that was limited I could maybe see it, but to have him as co-president, clearly Sony liked what they saw from The Last Of Us 2 breaking many records for them enough to want him to be one of the people to oversee the whole studio.
I mean, yeah. He got promoted because many people like what he makes and good for him. But for me, that means that I am even less interested in future Naughty Dog stuff because I don't like him being a faux movie director. Uncharted 2 had the perfect balance between being cinematic while also being a game and for some reason that changed in all the games after that (coincidentally, when Druckmann was taking over and Amy Hennig was forced to leave). I never had the urge to replay The Last of Us or Uncharted 3 or 4. I even dropped 4 after some hours because I was starting to think "I could just watch this on Youtube...".

However, clearly many people like what he's done and that's cool. But I guess I don't have to expect Naughty Dog going a bit back into the gameplay side again. Ultimately, for those who liked the last couple of Naughty Dog games, this is good news.

DForce

Nov 23, 2017

Journalist who played the game = not trusty worthy
Angry gamers who spammed the user review scores on metacritic without actually playing the game = trust worthy.

You guys really go by some dumb logic with this. lol.

The_Mike

Nov 5, 2017
Denmark
You jest but that actually happens more than it should in companies. To "promote someone away".

To be honest, Druckmann isn't the only one with a heavy sjw agenda in ND. He didn't fuck the game up alone.

While he was the story writer, if the top didn't like what he did, they would have scrapped it. ND shares his sjw vision, and some love it, and some hate it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hudo

The_Mike

Nov 5, 2017
Denmark
Journalist who played the game = not trusty worthy
Angry gamers who spammed the user review scores on metacritic without actually playing the game = trust worthy.

You guys really go by some dumb logic with this. lol.

Kudos to you for being able to white knighting Abby in two threads at the same time.
Please tell me you are paid for doing this. Spamming the same agenda everywhere with "people just hate it and are so thick headed and retarded" that only art reviewing shills like you and mercenary can enjoy a trash pile of garbage like this because your iq is over 9000.

Reactions: Saber

Topher70

Gold Member
Sep 25, 2020
Atlanta, Georgia, USA
To be honest, Druckmann isn't the only one with a heavy sjw agenda in ND. He didn't fuck the game up alone.

While he was the story writer, if the top didn't like what he did, they would have scrapped it. ND shares his sjw vision, and some love it, and some hate it.

And some of us just don't give it a second thought. I've seen sjw shit in all kinds of games. Hell, seems it is in every form of entertainment these days. But overall I just let it slide by and dismiss it. It certainly didn't diminish my enjoyment of the game and I disagree that it fucked it up.

The_Mike

Nov 5, 2017
Denmark
And some of us just don't give it a second thought. I've seen sjw shit in all kinds of games. Hell, seems it is in every form of entertainment these days. But overall I just let it slide by and dismiss it. It certainly didn't diminish my enjoyment of the game and I disagree that it fucked it up.

And that's fine. I don't have anything against people who enjoy it like some people have against those who didn't. Opinions about games are thankfully subjective and objective, and none of us are right or wrong.

It seems to be a different story for fanboys sadly.

Last edited:
Reactions: Topher70

Mercenary09

Dec 23, 2019
Kudos to you for being able to white knighting Abby in two threads at the same time.
Please tell me you are paid for doing this. Spamming the same agenda everywhere with "people just hate it and are so thick headed and retarded" that only art reviewing shills like you and mercenary can enjoy a trash pile of garbage like this because your iq is over 9000.
You are so hurt because you got called out on your bullshit. So funny.

DForce

Nov 23, 2017

There are gamers who hated the game and have since move on.

Then there are others who hate the game and still can't let it go.

Thick headed people are the ones who believe the game scored highly by journalist because the game was "woke". They also believe metacritic user scores hold some type of high value, even though the vast majority were made by trolls who didn't even play the game.

The haters are here on every Naughty Dog related thread expressing their frustration. If they release a 60fps patch update, haters will try to find an opportunity to tell people how much they hate this game and everyone who loves it are shills.

But your behavior doesn't surprise me at all. You also stated before that Sony games only score high because they're exclusives.

xrnzaaas

Dec 9, 2013
Looking forward to seeing how he's going to taint Uncharted 5 now that he has more power... Nate dies brutally in the first hour and Cassie becomes gender fluid?

Mercenary09

Dec 23, 2019
Looking forward to seeing how he's going to taint Uncharted 5 now that he has more power... Nate dies brutally in the first hour and Cassie becomes gender fluid?
Yeah because Uncharted games have been rated M before right? Some of you need to find something better to do with your time than come up with stupid reasons to hate on Neil and Naughty Dog.

MrS

Apr 6, 2014
North East, England
How could you say uncharted 2 is garabge and then turn around praise tlou. They have major similarities.

And please be more nuanced. For example, i could understabd saying uncharted 3 and 4 were wack. Bc they were. Druckman also had more of a hand in those.

But 2? 2 was one of the best games ever made imo (most agree). things can be nuanced like that, too many people just find it easier to lump it all together. Dont do that to UC2 lol
Uncharted 2 is dog shit and anybody who likes it is a clown. How’s that for nuance?

• LOL
Reactions: turtlepowa

Kokoloko85

Sep 26, 2019
That is true.

U4 has some pace issues but it is the best game in the serie.
U2 is the most impacting.
U1 has it own charm and issues.
U3 is the worst one but that doesn’t mean it is bad.

I agree. 4 was amazing. Level design was awesome, story was great.
I might prefer 3 to 1 though

Ogbert

Feb 21, 2018
Another white male promoted.

Disgusting.

I though video games were going to change this.

Clear

Deer/Dur
Feb 2, 2009
You might not like the man or his politics, but his success is undeniable.

His entire career is a litany of GOTY nominees/winners, and regardless of your opinion of ND's working practices the technical quality of their output is sky high.

Whitecrow

May 7, 2018
Lets settle the Druckmann debate down, shall we?
Let's expose all the reasons why he, his narrative and his storytelling sucks.

I wanna start with Anita Sarkeesian, his influence for progressive, modern, and right storytelling.
I wont say too much about her, simply what we all need to know:

Females should not have space for her boobs in their armours (because fuck anatomy, or because men like boobs and feminism cant allow that, god may know...):
Does she retract? Nope. She plays the victim card and keeps attacking.

Lets countinue with this, who is Neil Druckmann and where TLOUII comes from?

He is a man that dragged his college draft all the way until he had all the freedom to make it reality.
Before that, with Bruce Straley around, ND made great games most of us loved, but after that, we got TLOU II, basically doing everything that was previously shut down.

Let that sink for a moment.

Who the fuck do you think you are to take a beloved franchise that millions around the world loved, and then you think is a good idea to make a second part from your college drafts?
His ego is out of this world.

The lets talk a bit about the story itself.
1. How the fuck, in a post-apocaliptic world, where even going to hunt is a mortal danger, Abby can order whey protein to gain that muscles?
Yes, there's no way Abby's shape can be deffended. Is straight up impossible to get in TLOUII world. But you know what? Anita would be proud of such a powerful woman. So she made it in.

2. Making the characters retards:
Obviously, when you have been all your life trying to survive, you are soooo smart that you forget about YOUR FUCKING MAP WITH A FUCKIN MARK OF YOUR HIDEOUT for the enemies to find you.
That's totally logical and beliavable.

Also, when Ellie tells that Dina is pregnant, and the guy with the gun says 'then better'. What the fuck is wrong with all this people having all their humanity ripped out?

3. Death, shock value (aka lets make you feel as bad as we can):
Is Joel death a bad thing? No.
Is the way Joel dies appropiate? Absolutely not. Is incredibly disgusting. After playing him all the way during part 1, the he gets killed in the most humilliating way possible, not even being able to deffend himself or putting up a fight. And also, gets killed by a person who had her life saved previously by him, and with ANY KIND of remorse. As I've said earlier, this lack of humanity is just unbeliavable.
The reason? Shock value. And lets not forget that mid game, the game wans you to think she is a good person.

Horses you ride? All dead. Shock value.

Everyones friends? All dead. Shock value.

And oh, the infamous ending. Elli have a beautiful flashback and then spares Abbys life. Literally the only one that Elli should have revenge on. Just as most of story decisions, this is just unbeliavable.
Why did she not have a flashback of Abby cracking Joels head and gave she what she deserves? I thought the game was about that.

BUT NO.

Due to the game needing to end the revenge cycle, another ilogical and controversial choice was made.
Ellie have been driven by anger and revenge all the game, and because of an stupid flashback, she gives us the most unexpected and unbeliavable ending (that nobody wanted also).

TL;DR:
Druckmann did everything he had on his mind with no checking.
He wanted and ending and certain things to happen, so he made the (stupid) decisions he needed about the story and the characters in order for that to happen.
Also, he made his best effort to make us feel as bad as possible just for shock value and not because the story or the world needed it.

And that here guys, is literally HOW YOU DO NOT WRITE A STORY 101.

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2013
Last Of Us 2 is going to win most game of the year awards, the creator will be promoted again and they are going to announce 15million copies were sold in the end of the year.

bitches will still say Naughty Dog is doooomed.

Warablo

May 15, 2013
There was a ton of fake positive reviews too. I thought the story and pacing was bad, still a high quality game though.

Kinda make you play through the other half of the game trying to get it over with as fast as possible.

sol_bad

Jan 17, 2006
Is the way Joel dies appropiate? Absolutely not. Is incredibly disgusting. After playing him all the way during part 1, the he gets killed in the most humilliating way possible, not even being able to deffend himself or putting up a fight. And also, gets killed by a person who had her life saved previously by him, and with ANY KIND of remorse. As I've said earlier, this lack of humanity is just unbeliavable.
The reason? Shock value. And lets not forget that mid game, the game wans you to think she is a good person.

Yeah, he should have been beaten to death by a bunch of lovely smelling roses and his hair gently brushed as he passed away. Then the next 5 hours of the game should have been us setting up and organizing him the best and most beautiful funeral ever.

• LOL
Reactions: Keihart

Kholinar

Nov 9, 2020
Lets settle the Druckmann debate down, shall we?
Let's expose all the reasons why he, his narrative and his storytelling sucks.

I wanna start with Anita Sarkeesian, his influence for progressive, modern, and right storytelling.
I wont say too much about her, simply what we all need to know:

Females should not have space for her boobs in their armours (because fuck anatomy, or because men like boobs and feminism cant allow that, god may know...):
Does she retract? Nope. She plays the victim card and keeps attacking.

Lets countinue with this, who is Neil Druckmann and where TLOUII comes from?

He is a man that dragged his college draft all the way until he had all the freedom to make it reality.
Before that, with Bruce Straley around, ND made great games most of us loved, but after that, we got TLOU II, basically doing everything that was previously shut down.

Let that sink for a moment.

Who the fuck do you think you are to take a beloved franchise that millions around the world loved, and then you think is a good idea to make a second part from your college drafts?
His ego is out of this world.

The lets talk a bit about the story itself.
1. How the fuck, in a post-apocaliptic world, where even going to hunt is a mortal danger, Abby can order whey protein to gain that muscles?
Yes, there's no way Abby's shape can be deffended. Is straight up impossible to get in TLOUII world. But you know what? Anita would be proud of such a powerful woman. So she made it in.

2. Making the characters retards:
Obviously, when you have been all your life trying to survive, you are soooo smart that you forget about YOUR FUCKING MAP WITH A FUCKIN MARK OF YOUR HIDEOUT for the enemies to find you.
That's totally logical and beliavable.

Also, when Ellie tells that Dina is pregnant, and the guy with the gun says 'then better'. What the fuck is wrong with all this people having all their humanity ripped out?

Horses you ride? All dead. Shock value.

Everyones friends? All dead. Shock value.

And oh, the infamous ending. Elli have a beautiful flashback and then spares Abbys life. Literally the only one that Elli should have revenge on. Just as most of story decisions, this is just unbeliavable.
Why did she not have a flashback of Abby cracking Joels head and gave she what she deserves? I thought the game was about that.

BUT NO.

Due to the game needing to end the revenge cycle, another ilogical and controversial choice was made.
Ellie have been driven by anger and revenge all the game, and because of an stupid flashback, she gives us the most unexpected and unbeliavable ending (that nobody wanted also).

TL;DR:
Druckmann did everything he had on his mind with no checking.
He wanted and ending and certain things to happen, so he made the (stupid) decisions he needed about the story and the characters in order for that to happen.
Also, he made his best effort to make us feel as bad as possible just for shock value and not because the story or the world needed it.

And that here guys, is literally HOW YOU DO NOT WRITE A STORY 101.

1. There's actually an extensive gym area in her base alongside tons of food. They're faaar more stocked than Ellie's camp.

2. Context of the scene? Also you underestimate how easy it takes to completely smother your morals and 'humanity'. Just look at Nazi Germany.

3. To be honest, I think Joel's death was supposed to make the players boil with hot indignation. Vicariously experiencing Ellie's pain, grief, and rage as she watches Abby clobber Joel with a fucking golf club is supposed to hurt for the players as much as it was supposed to hurt Ellie. After all, after experiencing Joel and Ellie's struggle during the entire first game, you naturally want to align yourself with them. Do you think a badass heroic death would've made you 'hate' Abby as much as the one presented to you in the actual game? The game is SUPPOSED to make you hate her at the beginning, that's the whole point. However, once you reach Abby's portion of the game, Joel's death is revisited in a different light. What Ellie sees as mindless, Abby sees as justice. If you don't remember, at the end of the first game, Joel made a very polarising decision to halt the progress of a cure that would've saved humanity in order to save Ellie, and in doing so, he killed the father of Abby.

The first part of the game intentionally vilifies Abby because we play from Ellie's perspective, but after we switch to Abby, the narrative works to deconstruct such notions and introduce her as someone with similar values and sensibilities as Ellie. If you notice, her segments at the WLF base mirrors the beginning of the game with Ellie at Jackson. Then we see her actively care for Scar members, showing a more nurturing side of Abby that is completely adverse to Ellie's perception of Abby in her section. Abby's relationship with Lev downright mirrors Joel and Ellie's in TLOU1.

What people fail to realize is that the reason they vehemently dislike Abby is because they're extremely biased towards the first game's duo in spite of their in-universe failures. Joel and Ellie are by no stretch of the imagination the 'heroes' of the story.

The horse dying was shock value, sure. But everyone's friends dying was supposed to inform the player at how frivolous and destructive the cycle of revenge is - one of the game's principal themes. Abby couldn't let go of her father's death, and Ellie can't let go of Joel's. For that, the game punishes the two with the deaths of their friends. Even when Abby eschews revenge in favour of taking care of Lev, it's actually Ellie who villainously pushes on despite having a wife and child to look after, and not until the very end of the game does she have her moment of clarity and stop her quest. The reason she didn't kill Abby is because if she killed her, then it's basically her saying all the death and destruction caused on both sides was worth it just for a single moment of gratification.

(sorry if these seems a little ramble-y)

Last edited: