• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hey Guest. Check out the NeoGAF 2.2 Update Thread for details on our new Giphy integration and other new features.

Neil Druckmann promoted to Co-President of Naughty Dog, Alison Mori and Christian Gyrling to VP

Jun 23, 2020
But doesn’t validate his narrative about it is only a best seller due people buying it by mistake lol
Well I wont defense his own narrtive but man, it worked for me as I bought the game expecting one thing and got another much different. Sold it two days after.

And hey everyone has their own tastes so I can get me not liking the game but other people liking it. Calling it one of the best or even the best TPS... No way.

Reactions: Saber

ethomaz

is mad because DF didn't do a video on a video of a video of a video on PS5
Mar 19, 2013
Brazil
Well I wont defense his own narrtive but man, it worked for me as I bought the game expecting one thing and got another much different. Sold it two days after.

And hey everyone has their own tastes so I can get me not liking the game but other people liking it. Calling it one of the best or even the best TPS... No way.
That fine.

The gameplay is indeed sublime imo.

Last edited:

The_Mike

Nov 5, 2017
Denmark
"the game is a masterpiece, it's the loud minority that hates it."

"Fuck the players, the game wins all the awards, its the journalists who's right."

TLoU2 got so slammed by people that Sony contacted meta critic and ordered them to remove the bad reviews. It wasn't even possible to make a bad review for a while as it was disabled and only able to vote positive reviews, yet this pile of * still has a low user score.

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2020
Yes.

Max Payne gameplay is very good but TLOU is better.. just play a bit with the weapons to understand it.

Vanquish... well I don’t like these action gameplay from Platinum... all
Of them are easy cheese and overrated imo but seems ERA loves Platinum gameplay for some reason.
Dude we are having a nice conversation here. No need for those rough words. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I guess we just have different tastes then, maybe I'm more into fast paced action. TLOU gameplay is nice but to me I can get kind of repetitive, like I lost count of how many necks I pierced with Ellies knife.

If they ever make TLOU3 ot should be, imo, way shorter that part II.

May 27, 2013
The general public is not exactly renowned for its good taste or exacting standards, so I'm not too bothered by this. The competition this year was weak (Ghost of Tsushima's narrative is if anything even worse than TLoU2's, for all that game's technical and artistic brilliance, and the only other plausible contender is Animal Crossing). In a few years' time nobody will consider TLoU2 a great game, unlike TLoU1.

In ten years time when the silly wOKe AgeNdA narrative has fizzled out it’ll be MGS2’d into infamy as a masterpiece by overwhelming number

Jun 23, 2020
The dodge button alone transforms the melee system into a more frantic, better controlled experience.

You can use it as a dive button better animated than MGSV which makes control of your character more fluid and allows you chain combat moves

You can dip in and out of stealth/action dynamically (and quickly and realistically) with an AI that recognises and comments on player actions.

In short the gameplay takes Metal Gear Solid 3, a good contender for GOAT, and gives us a spiritual sequel 15 years later so good it shits all over it.

Did you not play the game or did you play it on easy as a 2006 cover shooter bro?
I think you over exagerate man. To me it felt just like the first one with slightly better AI and nothing much elsemñ. The dogs where a cool adittion tho, I'll give you that, nice idea for an enemy.

Valentino

May 30, 2020
Oh fair play to him! Made my favourite games AND now earning more than you lot with your gaming setups x

ethomaz

Mar 19, 2013
Brazil
Dude we are having a nice conversation here. No need for those rough words. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I guess we just have different tastes then, maybe I'm more into fast paced action. TLOU gameplay is nice but to me I can get kind of repetitive, like I lost count of how many necks I pierced with Ellies knife.

If they ever make TLOU3 ot should be, imo, way shorter that part II.
That is why I really got sad about TLOU2 not having MP.

While I loved the gameplay in the first game... it get repetitive after some play thoughts.

While the MP makes it shines.

Reactions: TintoConCasera
Dec 2, 2018
In ten years time when the silly wOKe AgeNdA narrative has fizzled out it’ll be MGS2’d into infamy as a masterpiece by overwhelming number

Wokeness itself will have fizzled out as the economy continues to death spiral and people lose interest in the culture war. The late 2010s fad of well-paid media writers pretending that trans rights are the civil rights issue of our age will seem as quaint as Bush-era hyperpatriotism and terrorism hysteria.

May 8, 2020

"Fuck the players, the game wins all the awards, its the journalists who's right."

TLoU2 got so slammed by people that Sony contacted meta critic and ordered them to remove the bad reviews. It wasn't even possible to make a bad review for a while as it was disabled and only able to vote positive reviews, yet this pile of * still has a low user score.

You okay bro?

• Fire
Reactions: Keihart and EDMIX
Jun 23, 2020
That is why I really got sad about TLOU2 not having MP.

While I loved the gameplay in the first game... it get repetitive after some play thoughts.

While the MP makes it shines.
Fuck man, glad we at least agree on the firsr TLOU multiplayer being fucking good.

Although repetitive and quite simple (imo), having mechanics like stealth, traps and melee combat agains human players was the shit.

Reactions: ethomaz

ethomaz

Mar 19, 2013
Brazil
The dodge button alone transforms the melee system into a more frantic, better controlled experience.

You can use it as a dive button better animated than MGSV which makes control of your character more fluid and allows you chain combat moves

You can dip in and out of stealth/action dynamically (and quickly and realistically) with an AI that recognises and comments on player actions.

In short the gameplay takes Metal Gear Solid 3, a good contender for GOAT, and gives us a spiritual sequel 15 years later so good it shits all over it.

Did you not play the game or did you play it on easy as a 2006 cover shooter bro?
The gameplay in easy/normal modes really breaks the immersion... the Listen mode is really bullshit that breaks what they created.

That is why the gameplay gets better and better and more dynamic with the increase in difficult.

Shines on MP.

Nov 26, 2020
They need to focus on a new IP. They arent making the uncharted and tlou titles better as they go on..

Uncharted got worse after 2 lets be honest

ethomaz

Mar 19, 2013
Brazil
Wokeness itself will have fizzled out as the economy continues to death spiral and people lose interest in the culture war. The late 2010s fad of well-paid media writers pretending that trans rights are the civil rights issue of our age will seem as quaint as Bush-era hyperpatriotism and terrorism hysteria.
Until today I have no ideia what woke really means... seems like some use the word woke as a bad thing while it doesn’t look like a bad thing.

Maybe I’m being confusing.

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2015

Lmao didn't they completely change their user review policy after TLOU2 because it got so much hate? I completely forgot about this.

Warablo

May 15, 2013
Nope.

U4 has the best gameplay in the serie.
TLOU gameplay was never a issue to begin because it perfected TPS gameplay.
TLOU has good gameplay but it has nothing to do with its mechanics.

Its all based on grotesque gore impact and high level animations. Not to mention every encounter plays out and sets up the same way.

PlayerPurple

Jun 2, 2020
So Neil Druckmann went from programming the menus in Jak X, to switching to game design for Uncharted, to being a lead writer and mo-cap director for TLOU, to finally serving as vice and co-president of Naughty Dog?

I gotta say, that‘s the type of hustle you just don’t see very often. Respect and congrats, sir.

Also congrats to Christian Gyrling, aka the dude in charge of making TLOU Remastered run at 60fps.

Last edited:

Woggleman

Jan 1, 2020
There was a time when a lot of woke people appeared to have a stick up their ass and were offended by everything. That has actually subsided somewhat and if you ask me the anti-sjws are just as bad if not worse. The alt right reaction to TLOU2 is not much different than how the woke reacted to The Joker movie.

Nov 26, 2020
He's written two 10/10 games. Let that man get his shine.

Uncharted is garbage. TLOU is where it's at. Neil put the company on the map. If Amy was so good she'd have shipped a game since leaving ND. She's been gone a while now.
How could you say uncharted 2 is garabge and then turn around praise tlou. They have major similarities.

And please be more nuanced. For example, i could understabd saying uncharted 3 and 4 were wack. Bc they were. Druckman also had more of a hand in those.

But 2? 2 was one of the best games ever made imo (most agree). things can be nuanced like that, too many people just find it easier to lump it all together. Dont do that to UC2 lol

Reactions: MrS and EDMIX

ethomaz

Mar 19, 2013
Brazil
TLOU has good gameplay but it has nothing to do with its mechanics.

Its all based on grotesque gore impact and high level animations. Not to mention every encounter plays out and sets up the same way.
Play the MP... you will understand ;)

Jun 23, 2020
Until today I have no ideia what woke really means... seems like some use the word woke as a bad thing while it doesn’t look like a bad thing.

Maybe I’m being confusing.
It's not so much the woke ideas but the necesity to shoehorn them into the media.

If game development gets influenced but politics and such then the devs vision for the game might not be the same as the final product.

Woggleman

Jan 1, 2020
I don't care of it is the mechanics or whatever. The game just feels good to pick up and play and that is what matters in the end. When you start getting into technicalities you started sounding like comic book guy from The Simpsons.

Reactions: Topher70
Dec 2, 2018
There was a time when a lot of woke people appeared to have a stick up their ass and were offended by everything. That has actually subsided somewhat and if you ask me the anti-sjws are just as bad if not worse. The alt right reaction to TLOU2 is not much different than how the woke reacted to The Joker movie.

The vast majority of people who hate woke shit aren't "alt right."

ethomaz

Mar 19, 2013
Brazil
I love the first ones multiplayer, It sucks it had guns behind a paywall though.
I’m not sure but I don’t remember it having weapon paywall... it has it in PS3 version? I’m really asking in curiosity... I’m not doubting you.

Last edited:
May 27, 2013
I’m not sure but I don’t remember it having weapon paywall... it has it in PS3 version? I’m really asking in curiosity... I’m not doubting you.

New weapons got added behind a pay wall. The silenced combat shot gun and full auto were particularly OP and dramatically changed the flow of game - kind of killed the bow for me

Last edited:
Reactions: Warablo

Warablo

May 15, 2013
I think I played it on the PS4 remaster, it had some top tier guns behind a paywall. Some perks too.

• Thoughtful
May 27, 2013
The vast majority of people who hate woke shit aren't "alt right."

I don’t think the vast majority of people spend basically any notable time thinking about either side of the SJW/Alt Right argument. They’re less interested in winning a culture war and more interested in doing their eight hours, making some food and trying to relax.

Reactions: Olga Orlova

peter42O

Aug 9, 2014
UGH. Druckmann should have been promoted out the door and taken Gross with him. Amazing how he can create the game of the generation in June 2013 with TLOU but then completely kill the franchise 7 years later with TLOUP2 in June 2020. SMH.

Dec 2, 2018
I don’t think the vast majority of people spend basically any notable time thinking about either side of the SJW/Alt Right argument. They’re less interested in winning a culture war and more interested in doing their eight hours, making some food and trying to relax.

This is the case for the vast majority of people, but it's not the case for the vast majority of media journalists and knowledge industry professionals, for whom navigating woke shit is an intrinsic part of doing their eight hours. TLoU2 isn't bad because of the woke shit - it's just bad in general (Spider-Man: Miles Morales is famously woke as well, but nobody seems to care because it's a good game). But the reason games journalists are so unwilling to say that is that they're worried about being caught on the wrong side of the culture war and damaging their careers.

In a couple years once the whole wokeness issue has blown over and we're back to worrying about stuff that matters like the collapsing economy and spiraling wealth inequality nobody is going to look back at TLoU2 as a seminal masterpiece, they're going to look back at TLoU2 as a mediocre followup to a great game that the gaming press was too afraid to critique openly because of Trump-era culture war dynamics.

• LOL

Fbh

Dec 6, 2013
I'm still holding out hope that the TLOU TV show turns into a big hit and he gets an offer to work on TV in a more permanent way.

I'd like to be hyped for ND games again but with this dude in charge thats not going to happen.

Maxwell Jacob Friedman

leads to fear. Fear leads to xbox.
Aug 13, 2020
So Amy that made an amazing job gets thrown under the bus, and this guy that kills Naughty Dog's reputation and games gets a promotion?

It's like rewarding a dog for shitting on the carpet.
Amy was such trash they got rid of her for uncharted 4 and flew druckmann in to try to save it and her most recent game she was head of as well got cancelled, shes a dumpster fire worth of talent.

Maxwell Jacob Friedman

Aug 13, 2020
If TLoU2 wins game of the year it'll be because it's tapped into America's idiotic and all-consuming culture war, not because it's a good game. In a couple years we'll look back on TLoU2's game of the year nod like we look back on that one time Crash won Best Picture at the Oscars.
Here come the excuses, problem is gaf wants ti have its cake and eat it to. If it fails go woke go broke boys, if it wins and its successful ya'll come up with s pity excuse, rent free mother fuckers, rent free.

Maxwell Jacob Friedman

Aug 13, 2020

Omg 147,000 ussr score.....how many people bought it again that liked it? Prob a hell of alot more than 147 thousand esp with its completion rate so high. If the majority of people didnt like it, they would have dropped it like a soft turd, but most completed it.

• LOL
Reactions: EDMIX and The_Mike

Azurro

Jun 11, 2018
So I guess cyberpunk will win as well

Nah, Cyberpunk isn't pretending to be on a superior plane in terms of morality, so it doesn't count.

So lesbians and trans are why people hate it?

I fell sorry for Cyberpunk...nope... it will be a good game when they ship it.

Nah, people hate it because it has unlikeable characters, a meandering boring plot, a bad story that makes previous characters act stupid. aside from the SJW virtue signaling and activist approved character design. But that's something that has been discussed ad naseum.

The point is, the regular media will award a game like this with everything under the sun, since it has some stunning and brave characters in it. It's mutual affirmation of how virtuous both the developers and the media are. They can't afford to not give it Game Of The Year, it has had too much "suffering" by "internet trolls and homophobes", so the creators positioned the game perfectly as a poor victim.

• LOL

J____Av

Jun 12, 2020
It's one of the best selling games of the year. Druckman did good.
Fuck the minority of haters.

I really don't think its the minority. No one is a bigger fan of ND games than me, and I was disappointed with the choices they made in TLOU 2. Pretty much every ND fan I know was disappointed. Yes it sold well (likely will be well bellow Uncharted 4 and TLOU 1 though) but it undeniably pissed off a large part of their fan base. Most pissed off ND fans are not even made about the "SJW" shit. Its more they took it way too dark and depressing while trying way too hard to be gaming's GRRM. Forcing the players to be Abby for half the game was a dumb choice. Druckmann has a massive ego. I would like to see Bruce back, since I think he balanced Druckmann out and kept him from going overboard

• LOL
Reactions: ethomaz and xiskza