• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neil Druckmann has being getting transphobic, homophobic, anti-Semitic messages

It's the internet. You're going to see the most heartless words imaginable.

The problem is with the fact that the comments are left by butthurt 16 year olds behind their keyboards. Take the criticism people have for your game and quit hiding behind the death threats that you've been getting since you joined a prestigious studio making AAA games for nerds in their parents' basement having Doritos and Mountain Dew.

Breakage

What does he hope to accomplish by posting this? This is the Internet. If you open yourself up to social media, you're bound to get unpleasant stuff. That's what happens. Best way to avoid it is by not being on social media in the first place.

bender

What time is it?
I don't care what you feel about someone's politics, those comments are gross and we shouldn't be excused or hand waved. Hopefully those accounts were reported and suspended and it's too bad there aren't more consequences.

People downplaying this kind of shit forget what happened to Christina Grimmie, yes a majority of these idiots are just that idiots who will move on in a month's time, but you never know with social media and how it gave the sick, the deranged and unhinged a place to display their madness.

Now I'm sad.

llien

People downplaying this kind of shit forget what happened to Christina Grimmie, yes a majority of these idiots are just that idiots who will move on in a month's time, but you never know with social media and how it gave the sick, the deranged and unhinged a place to display their madness.
Welp, John Lennon, dude preaching love got killed by psycho way before we got social media.

Statistically people are heaving menthal issues nowadays more often than ever, but what role does social media play in it is far from clear.

protonion

Comments like these date back to the birth of the internet .
I'm nobody and I can find several targeted at me if I want to.

So spare us with your drama. You just use them as a shield for your utter failure at writing a game.

Get off social media, do not touch last of us 3 and all will be fine.

Social media was a mistake. I'm glad I don't have any social media account.

If I don't like a game, I don't buy it. I can't imagine wasting my time going on a hate spree that in the end will accomplish nothing and will only make me look bad.
Internet access should be limited to 21yo+. I'm tired of rants and fits of hormonal teenagers.

I agree with this so much. Social media is getting even more toxic and that’s saying a mouthful. You don’t like a game, developer, director, etc don’t support it or them and move on. I’ve never seen so many immature, crazy or hateful people populate the internet in my life especially over a video game.

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
Understandable that this kind of sick and disgusting attitude happens and should be in no way be allowed to exist in this damn social media. It's about time Twitter start to do something instead of relying only on reports.

However I have no obligation to feel any kind of symphaty for a guy who is a fucking political and provocative in the same fashion. Deal with it.

sainraja

Whoooooo fuckinnnnnng caaaaaares

You set out to make a game that would make people angry - that's not my words, that's what you said - and on top of that, anyone who's been on the internet for any length of time in the past twenty five years has gotten death threats. Not saying that it's right, but it's inevitable. Like death and taxes.

Clutch those pearls a little tighter Neil.

I haven't seen him say he wanted to make people angry; he only said that he understood that people would be angry if they kill off Joel. But the reason for killing off Joel wasn't to anger people. I think they did it for the story but the way they did it, I feel like they failed.

I had been waiting for a game where the developers dared to do something like naughtydog has, but I feel like their execution of it has been poor. I always asked the question of 'what if a developer created a character, who you were playing as the whole game and you find out he/she isn't exactly the good guy? or perhaps is the villain of the story?' or even of a game where the developers killed off the main character and some games have tried this (e.g. Resistance and before the sequel, I thought the original Tenchu went for the same.)

Last edited:

UnNamed

Banned
Acting like it's US vs THEM is simply ridiculous.

So,according to this thread, it's legit to send death threats because bad opinions. It's probably something we should put in the FAQ for those who don't see difference between Gaf and Resetera.
I'm also waiting for someone to post Druckmann messages or clips from his products where he insult me (or us) so I'm legitimate to send him hate messages. Please not all at once, or we risk to block GAF servers.

I, for one, am not much tolerant to some SJW out there who try to delegitimize my free thinking, but my parents teach manners using slaps sometimes, and I haven't the pulse to send death threats to this people I consider assholes. But probably I'm a minority.

spectyre

Neil should join the NRA and post a pic of his membership card. I'm sure that would get rid of all of these whackos.:messenger_smirking:

LordOfChaos

So as someone who actively tried not to pay heed to any of this...

The hell happened? Druckmann was so well respected by gamers with the first game, at least I thought from what I used to see. Is this really all because Ellie is a lesbian, a thing we already knew from the first game, and he said games were inherently political? If not that, what?

Should I just continue to be happy to have missed whatever I missed? Probably.

S

Shodan09

Unconfirmed Member
Plenty other companies make shit games and don't have to put up with this. Once again the Internet is overreacting and taking things too far. You can express a dislike about art without abusing the individuals who made it. The sooner everyone learns this the better.

Arun1910

Not justifiable at all to get these comments. If you don't like a game, fine. But you don't have to act like a cunt.

Saying Neil brought this on is stupid.

Moze

Banned
What exactly has he done? Why do people hate him so much? I completed the game and thought it was fine? I don't understand why there is outrage over the game.

Kiwicha

Is He new to this world? Hate messages and death threats are common in the entertainment industry everytime someone tries to be the cool guy that messes with the formula . How could He not forsee that this would happen?
All He had to do is watch the reactions videos to those trailers he put out, with people losing their shit when Joel appears and says "Did you think that I was gonna let you this on your own?" He made them believe They were getting another Joel/Ellie adventure. And now He is surprised some of them are pissed? I don't buy it.

Arun1910

Is He new to this world? Hate messages and death threats are common in the entertainment industry everytime someone tries to be the cool guy that messes with the formula . How could He not forsee that this would happen?
All He had to do is watch the reactions videos to those trailers he put out, with people losing their shit when Joel appears and says "Did you think that I was gonna let you this on your own?" He made them believe They were getting another Joel/Ellie adventure. And now He is surprised some of them are pissed? I don't buy it.

There's a difference between being pissed and acting like an abortion.

Last edited:

CAB_Life

Identity politics and social media are a cancerous cocktail that are making us more vocal, divisive, ignorant and tribal than ever. I obviously don’t condone any of these comments, but the obvious solution—which will never happen with such a narcissistic and shallow-minded society—is to severely roll back our engagement to social media.

The psychological effects of so much ephemeral, misguided hatred and continued engagement with each other will be unclear and still resounding for the next decade or more.

INC

Dont make him angry
RmkxH94.png

If you're sending death threats to a video game creator or an actress of a video game character, regardless of the SJW message of the game... you are a fucking loser. Simple as that... Excuse the behavior or enable it... You are also a fucking loser. It's a video game, not a religion or political uprising. Seriously, how insecure in your manhood must you be to attack an actress anonamously over twitter?

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
If you're sending death threats to a video game creator or an actress of a video game character, regardless of the SJW message of the game... you are a fucking loser. Simple as that... Excuse the behavior or enable it... You are also a fucking loser. It's a video game, not a religion or political uprising. Seriously, how insecure in your manhood must you be to attack an actress anonamously over twitter?

Whoa whoa you mean personhood.

ExpandKong

Banned
Not justifiable at all to get these comments. If you don't like a game, fine. But you don't have to act like a cunt.

Saying Neil brought this on is stupid.

I mean...both things can be true. This is totally unacceptable behavior that Neil should not at all be surprised by.

Gp1

Let's be sincere here.... Do you guys really think that he wasn't expecting this kind of attention?

This is somewhat what he wanted after all that happened.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
You reap what you sow.
I am not defending these idiots, but, tje guy started a controversy and I believe he is smart enough to anticipate such a thing. This is not new and been happening for years now.
If you decide to fuck up with something then prepare for the shit storm
Yall have got to be fucking kidding. lol.

What did he fuck up? Theres no defending these fucking crybabies. Hopefully they are all like 10. They can barely even speak english. They all come off as retards.

Last edited:
He's a man he should be able to take it without whining. But nope I see he's freaking out like a little school girl on twitter.

Kiwicha

Acting like it's US vs THEM is simply ridiculous.

So,according to this thread, it's legit to send death threats because bad opinions. It's probably something we should put in the FAQ for those who don't see difference between Gaf and Resetera.
I'm also waiting for someone to post Druckmann messages or clips from his products where he insult me (or us) so I'm legitimate to send him hate messages. Please not all at once, or we risk to block GAF servers.

I, for one, am not much tolerant to some SJW out there who try to delegitimize my free thinking, but my parents teach manners using slaps sometimes, and I haven't the pulse to send death threats to this people I consider assholes. But probably I'm a minority.
Acording to my pretty poor reading comprehencion, most are saying that when it comes to movies, games, books or politics; that's what people do. It is not something that only happens to a few selected ones that are now in danger. I used to get death threats on a daily basis when I worked at city hall, and I know that, appart from some extreme rare cases, those things are just stupid messages from stupid people.

Last edited:
Top Bottom