• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Negative feedback for a game that makes sense for other games instead of the game being criticized?

Hey GAF, what games do you know of that got negative feedback, but that negative feedback makes sense for other games instead of the game being criticized? What I mean by this is, for example, I was bored so I was reading up about Clock Tower 3 from Wikipedia, and here's some negative feedback about it:

Game Revolution's AA White wrote that "Clock Tower 3 is ultimately one of those games whose cinemas are more interesting than the actual gameplay and from a gamer's standpoint, that's never a good thing".

As an avid classic survival horror fan, I enjoy the gameplay of the game so I disagree with the above, but I feel like the criticism would be valid for today's cinematic games from most of Sony's 1st party output. Funny how that above quote missed the mark on the actual game being talked about, yet was ahead of it's time regarding how true it would be for later games.

So what say you, GAF? Any games you are aware of that got negative feedback, but that negative feedback made more sense for other games rather than the actual game being criticized?

Amiga

:pie_confused:

I understand this as perceived "bugs" that are actually "features".

I would say yes, criticism like..

- Uncharted is "linear"

- MGS has a "convoluted story"

- Souls games are "difficult"

- Persona has much "talking"

- Death Stranding is a "walking simulator"

D-ray

Well I don't really read reviews anymore, as I'd rather get in the game experience mostly blind.
But I remember things like Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky being stepped on by some people saying that "it's repetitive" while a game like Serious Sam: The First Encounter is praised even tho it's x3 more repetitive without the bonus of an actual plot to care about.

But I don't know, I remember it was IGN(orants) talking about these games, so I'm not sure if it counts all that much.

I remember Valkyria Chronicles 4 which as a series has a completely unique gameplay style getting mixed reviews saying "the gameplay hasn't changed much since the 1st" You could say that for 90% of Nintendo titles.

My problem with Valkyrie Chronicles 4 was that they didn’t even bother to add any actual QoL settings. The games are 10 years apart but part 4 still plays exactly like the first one, with the same loading times, and cumbersome menu’s, and it didn’t look that much better either. It felt more like a lazy port than an actual sequel.

Nintendo puts out a lot of games from the same IP but no one would confuse Twilight Princess for Breath of The Wild, or Mario Galaxy with Odyssey

It just all around felt low effort.

Last edited:

mcjmetroid

My problem with Valkyrie Chronicles 4 was that they didn’t even bother to add any actual QoL settings. The games are 10 years apart but part 4 still plays exactly like the first one, with the same loading times, and cumbersome menu’s, and it didn’t look that much better either. It felt more like a lazy port than an actual sequel.

Nintendo puts out a lot of games from the same IP but no one would confuse Twilight Princess for Breath of The Wild, or Mario Galaxy with Odyssey

And I love Nintendo games and it wasn't a knock at them per say but there does seem to be a double standard sometimes. Nintendo games are at their best when they try new things like the last Kirby for instance. Kirby would have been the first series I'd rag on if it wasn't for that

As for VC4, True it's not a large graphical increase but it did add improvements and was a much better game overall in my opinion. I'd rate it a whole lot bigger than other reviewers. It did get in trouble for being accuses of having a misogynistic male character which was ridiculous.

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
Game Revolution's AA White wrote that "Clock Tower 3 is ultimately one of those games whose cinemas are more interesting than the actual gameplay and from a gamer's standpoint, that's never a good thing".
To this day, Clock Tower 3 cutscenes are the best ones made in video game history. Not even the so called modern "cinematic" games get cutscenes right.
Game was fun as heck too. One of the most beautiful horror games ever made.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Weapon degradation is much more of a nuisance in Dark Souls 2 than in Breath of the Wild, doubly so at 60fps.
Unlike in BOTW, it serves no purpose except to add a useless mechanic.

Hero_Select

"The world is empty and lifeless" criticism for BotW by people who've never played it.

And then you play Sonic Frontiers and you see what an empty and lifeless world is actually like.

cireza

Game was awesome and one of the best JRPG out there, and also one of the few ambitious T-RPG to actually even exist in today's world. SEGA have my thanks for that. This is basically a spiritual successor to games such as Shining Force, Dragon Force or Skies of Arcadia. It carries the same spirit.

Valkyria Chronicles 4 does bring up new things that are excellent and completely transform the way the game is played, and this begins with the new mortar class. Then you have the ability to carry people in tanks (which was not present in the first game) and also up to two people following another one to move in groups.

There is no way I can see this has low effort when it basically means they had to completely rethink the battles because of all these new features. If anything, this was difficult and required a lot of work. Even though the presentation and menus are still familiar (visuals are much better though, but people don't even realize this).

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
“Final Fantasy XIII plays itself”

Such bullshit. It’s challenging, fast paced, requires split second decision making, it rewards you for playing well, and every single ability/buff/debuff has uses even in non-boss battles.

Contrast that with earlier FF games (and many other turn based JRPGs) where you know exactly how most battles are going to play out right from the start. Almost every battle you will do nothing but use direct-damage abilities until you win. At any given time the “right” action is obvious. It might as well play itself given the inevitability of any given battle. (And at least FF XII recognized this and let you actually program your party members)

sainraja

To this day, Clock Tower 3 cutscenes are the best ones made in video game history. Not even the so called modern "cinematic" games get cutscenes right.
Game was fun as heck too. One of the most beautiful horror games ever made.

Yeah, that is your nostalgia speaking lol. Those are definitely not the best ones made in video game history. But for you, sure, yeah.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Cyberpunk 2077: "Choices don't matter"

The degrees in which your choices and actions affect the game is not really different than that of many other titles that get praised for this exact same thing, more specifically Deus Ex and The Witcher games.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Cyberpunk 2077: "Choices don't matter"

The degrees in which your choices and actions affect the game is not really any different than that of many other titles that get praised for this exact same thing, more specifically Deus Ex and The Witcher games.
But it would have been more interesting if would get entirely different quests based on lifepath you chose, because other than in the beginning and some dialogue choices, it doesn't really matter.

I remmber InFAMOUS 2 kind did something like this based if you are good Cole or evil Cole, you would have different type of quests.

Guilty_AI

But it would have been more interesting if would get entirely different quests based on lifepath you chose, because other than in the beginning and some dialogue choices, it doesn't really matter.

I remmber InFAMOUS 2 kind did something like this based if you are good Cole or evil Cole, you would have different type of quests.
Lifepaths felt more like an additional skill rather than something that affects the story. I remember a mission where i had to invade a facility for example and there was a backdoor that i could only enter using a corporate dialogue choice.

That said, my point here is more that this game gets wrecked for lack of depth in your choices despite the fact other titles with that same degree of depth get praised for "having choices that matter"

I mean, compare it with The Witcher 3, a game that got largely praised for "choices that matter":
TW3: 3 endings, minimal variations depending on who you romance. Only depend on a single choice and how you build your relationship with Ciri in the last act.
CP77: 5 endings, some variations depending on who you romance and other choices. 3 are standard endings, other two depend on you having completed entire questlines, with further variations or alternatives depending on your relationship with Johnny and other choices.

TW3: Multiple choices through the campaign that affect the state of the world and the fate of some people, but don't affect your own fate.
CP77: Multiple choices through the campaign that affect the state of the world, the fate of some people and how some missions play out but don't affect your own fate.

Last edited:

kunonabi

The problem is they made a huge deal how choices mattered so when they didn't it stands out. Of course, that could be said about tons of thing in Cyberpunk that didn't really make the final product.

Usually what I notice is people will about bitch about stuff in things they've already decided they dislike but will conveniently ignore or champion when it pops up in something they love. Other M for example gets a lot of shit for stuff Fusion and even Dread did but they get praised for it.

I suppose for your topic I'd say Final Fantasy fits the bill. A lot of the more loved, older titles have started getting shit for being too linear as a way to deflect criticism from the actual hallway simulators from more recent times.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Lifepaths felt more like an additional skill rather than something that affects the story. I remember a mission where i had to invade a facility for example and there was a backdoor that i could only enter using a corporate dialogue choice.
True, I did couple of gigs that I could get in to the building different way based on using lifepath dialogue choice but I still wish for the sequel the lifepath choices would effect some of your main quests as well.

Last edited:
Elden Ring has to many repeat bosses...my brother in christ it has over 100 unique bosses alone...name one game with the same number of unique bosses as well as the same number of high quality bosses?

Top Bottom