• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need to figure out what to play next thread

Bebpo

Banned
These seem to pop up every so often and so this time I need some advice. Coming off of Shadow Hearts 3, Legendia, Castlevania DS, and finishing up Gungrave OD atm (which is fun but oh man the camera sucks), I'm looking for something fun and lacking in backtracking or frustrating parts. Here is what I'm thinking of playing next:

Metroid Prime 2: Big Metroid fan. I like 75% of the first Prime until you had to backtrack and get all the artifacts which really killed the game for me. I played a bit of this until the first save and it seemed ok, graphics were nice at 480p.

Splinter Cell 3: I'm a big fan of Stealth games and liked the first two in the series. But I played the first level of this and a bit of the 2nd level and it didn't really grab me. Felt too linear and a bit boring rather than intense. Also the graphics look really bad and jaggy on my HDTV :(

Grandia 3: Played about an hour into the game and it seemed really nice with great cutscene direction, quick loading, and 60fps battles. But Shouta's impression sounded disappointing and I'm not sure if I want to dive into another flawed rpg at the moment.

Wario World: I like Treasure, I like 2.5D and I got the game for cheap. Never even put it in.

Sakura Taisen V: Always seemed like an interesting series, but it takes so long to get to the actual battles I'd never really gotten far in 1-4. Picked up V after the good reviews but haven't tried it really.

So yeah, I have other stuff in my backlog and I'm still debating whether I should finish Gundam True Oddessy which I stopped 25+ hours in when the summer flood came out, but at the moment I'm thinking I'd like to play something fresh and fun so I wanna grab something from those five. Need recommendations.

Thanks,

Prospero

Don't play MP2 if you don't like backtracking. In general, I found it to be a disappointment.

Wario World has the benefit of going by quickly, though it's really unchallenging. It might be the perfect thing to cleanse your palate after some RPGs. It's my least favorite of the Treasure games I've played, but it isn't bad.

Ironclad

My recommendation goes to playing Wario World first. It is pretty short but it is a fun game and definitely worth your time. A little bit on the easy side though.

You said you liked Metroid Prime except for the artifacts hunt, well MP 2 has something extremely similar to that near the end of the game but it is about 1000 times more tedious. Personally though, I would be playing Grandia III but that's just me. Splinter Cell has always bored except for the online mode in Pandora Tomorrow. Co-op mode in CT sounds interesting however.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
have you ever unlocked the master levels on monkey ball 1?

edit: oops form the choices metroid or wario.

Matlock

Banned
Hit Wario World--about 5 hours from start to finish (if I recall correctly), fairly easy to play...but really cool boss battles every stage make up for it. :)

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I've always been interested in Wario World - my brother rented it and beat it rather quickly, and returned it before I could get a chance to play. But it's a Treasure game and I'm pretty fanboyish about them... but I hear that it's a rather weak game (is that because of its length, because I don't mind a short game if it's good). What's the deal, is it truly a good game?

Prospero

djtiesto said:
What's the deal, is it truly a good game?

It's good in that "check it out--that greedy bastard Wario finally got his own Gamecube game" way. Otherwise I'm lukewarm on it, because it really is easy. It's supershort, though--beatable in a rental, and definitely worth a rent.

Top Bottom