• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need help with buying Surround Headset for PS4

Hey GAF, as title says I'd like to get a headset for my PS4, because I started playing Hunt Showdown, and it's really needed for that game. I have never gamed with a headset before, always had 5.1 speaker system, but it's just not precise enough and it's disturbing for my friends to her the sound back when we're in a party.
Anyways, I'm not a big audiophile, so I have no high expectations, I just want it to be reasonably priced and be surround. I live in central EU so some suggestions might not be available in my country, but I'll take all the help I can.
I really don't want to spend more than 85-100 USD / 70-85 EUR. I don't care if it's wireless, audio jack or USB.

So most of my confusion comes from these terms of 7.1 virtual surround and the 3D Audio.

This far what I have found are the following:

Turtle Beach Recon 70, confused cause it says it supports 3D Audio, but I'm not sure if this is PS5 only?

THE 3D AUDIO ADVANTAGE​

Bring your games, movies, and music to life with 3D Audio, Sony’s most advanced 3D audio solution specifically optimized for headsets. Thanks to the immense improvements in processing power of the PS5™, 3D Audio offers enhanced spatial surround sound from hundreds of precisely unique directions, taking your gaming audio to the next level.

Turtle Beach Recon 200, it is compatible with PS4-5, however it says that the surround is for only Xbox? But it's compatible with Dolby Atmos, so does that mean that Atmos supporting games are still surround with it on PS4?

Surround Sound Ready for Xbox One​

Optimized to deliver Microsoft’s immersive Windows Sonic for Headphones surround sound on Xbox to bring your games, movies and music to life.
*Windows Sonic for Headphones provided by Microsoft for Xbox (and compatible Windows 10 PCs). Also compatible with Dolby Atmos® for Headphones (Additional purchase may be required.)

MSI DS502, it says Enhanced Virtual 7.1 Surround Sound, but is this only for PC or also consoles? The specs says it is compatible with PC, Mac, PS5™, PS4™ but are also the functions?

7.1 Surround Sound​

- Featuring Xear™ Living technology , MSI DS502 brings your game to lifePowerful Cmedia Technology and DS502 software
- Change or fine-tuned via DS502 Headset Software to find your best sound field

STARSBarry

Gold Member
I actually own a pair of Rog Theta 7.1's the issue with alot of these digital 7.1's is they require custom software on the PC to work correctly, software the consoles don't have and can't install. As such normally when headsets say they support a console, its on a special mode where the sound only works in stereo.

As such your pretty much restricted to things like the Sony Platinum Headset for PS4 as its the official PS4 7.1 headset and has the Sony DAC on the console, which are expensive. There is also the newer but worse Sony Gold Headset for £74.99, but they are hard to find in stock. The choice is yours but honestly if you sit for hours and hours gaming the extra comfort of the platinum will go far, even if its a premium.

Last edited:
I actually own a pair of Rog Theta 7.1's the issue with alot of these digital 7.1's is they require custom software on the PC to work correctly, software the consoles don't have and can't install. As such normally when headsets say they support a console, its on a special mode where the sound only works in stereo.

As such your pretty much restricted to things like the Sony Platinum Headset for PS4 as its the official PS4 7.1 headset and has the Sony DAC on the console, which are expensive. There is also the newer but worse Sony Gold Headset for £74.99, but they are hard to find in stock. The choice is yours but honestly if you sit for hours and hours gaming the extra comfort of the platinum will go far, even if its a premium.
Man that's a bummer, I can't justify spending that much for a headset for just one game... And can you help with telling me what the deal is with the 3D Audio they say for the Turtle Beach? Is that only PS5? If so when will be able to upgrade to the PS5 will it be usable then for me in the game?

Technically all those headsets are stereo and they all use virtual surround.

I don't have a PS4, but are there any Dolby/DTS headphone apps available? If so then any headset will be fine.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Get this, works on both PS4+5 and PC:

a7p_black_buyimg_01.jpg__1920x1080_q100_crop-fit_optimize_subsampling-2.jpg

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Man that's a bummer, I can't justify spending that much for a headset for just one game... And can you help with telling me what the deal is with the 3D Audio they say for the Turtle Beach? Is that only PS5? If so when will be able to upgrade to the PS5 will it be usable then for me in the game?

From the looks of it some of the more expensive TB's support 3D audio but those seem to be the same price range as the Platinum, the Sony Gold 7.1 does not support 3D audio only the Platinum does as its not really something you can put in a "cheap" headset. 3D audio is... superior to 7.1, the best description is 7.1 can give you the direction of the sound but 3D audio also gives you the height.. so 7.1 is kind of on a flat plane while 3D audio things can sound like there coming from above and below you.

Last edited:
Technically all those headsets are stereo and they all use virtual surround.

I don't have a PS4, but are there any Dolby/DTS headphone apps available? If so then any headset will be fine.
Yeah I know that they are stereo physically, but they could still emulate surround sound afaik, and that's what I'm looking for.
Not sure about the app, I don't remember seeing apps like that on the PS Store, but there are def. som on the Xbox Store so who knows.

Get this, works on both PS4+5 and PC:
Thanks for the tip, but as I stated in my post this is not the price range I'm looking for, also if I would the Sony Platinum would be better as per what STARSBarry said.

From the looks of it some of the more expensive TB's support 3D audio but those seem to be the same price range as the Platinum, the Sony Gold 7.1 does not support 3D audio only the Platinum does as its not really something you can put in a "cheap" headset. 3D audio is... superior to 7.1, the best description is 7.1 can give you the direction of the sound but 3D audio also gives you the height.. so 7.1 is kind of on a flat plane while 3D audio things can sound like there coming from above and below you.
Thanks for the info

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Thanks for the tip, but as I stated in my post this is not the price range I'm looking for, also if I would the Sony Platinum would be better as per what STARSBarry said.

I think you'll be happy with PS Platinum then, it has 3D audio support and it was a shy use of it on PS4, it's the same with PS5 not a gimmick but massively inferior. But as long as the method is the same (using PCM via 2.0 channel instead of 7.1 channel) then it should work perfectly on PS5 later.

Not sure how Pulse 3D works on PS4, but it's an impressive headset. A friend here FrankWza FrankWza has both and said that PS Platinum is superior in every aspect. Also PS Platinum has 50mm drivers vs 40mm on Pulse 3D. I would love if I can test Platinum on PS5 myself, but overall very happy with Pulse 3D and would upgrade to the next 50mm successor in a few years. Both have 7.1 channel support anyway.

Last edited:

FrankWza

I really don't want to spend more than 85-100 USD / 70-85 EUR. I don't care if it's wireless, audio jack or USB.
Get yourself the PlayStation silver headset that includes the official Sony usb cable. Then, find the best headphones and mic or headset you can for your budget. You’ll be wired but you will still have chatmix available and have versatility in choosing something comfortable. You can use the silver headset but it’s not very good. You basically want it for the cable

D.Final

Banned
I think you'll be happy with PS Platinum then, it has 3D audio support and it was a shy use of it on PS4, it's the same with PS5 not a gimmick but massively inferior. But as long as the method is the same (using PCM via 2.0 channel instead of 7.1 channel) then it should work perfectly on PS5 later.

Not sure how Pulse 3D works on PS4, but it's an impressive headset. A friend here FrankWza FrankWza has both and said that PS Platinum is superior in every aspect. Also PS Platinum has 50mm drivers vs 40mm on Pulse 3D. I would love if I can test Platinum on PS5 myself, but overall very happy with Pulse 3D and would upgrade to the next 50mm successor in a few years. Both have 7.1 channel support anyway.

This is probably a great choice

Top Bottom