• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need for Speed UNBOUND reveal "IMMINENT" - Release date December 2nd.

I’m just one of the very few people apparently that just didn’t find blur enjoyable. Tried playing it more than once just can’t even get past the first hour of gameplay.

The concept is there for a fun arcade racer. There's many cool things you can do with that kind of base gameplay element and I'm surprised not many arcade racers attempted to take it further.

Horizon (while good) is getting a little stale and I'd want PlayGround games to go this route as an extra add-on like they're doing with Hotwheels racing.

Shocked by the positive reactions around here, 'cause I'm not feeling it, at all

Anime NPC artstyle clashing with realistic cars and city ... Looks horrible, imo

But maybe its just not for me and thats fine

Will keep waiting for something more akin to Need for Speed 2015

This isn't anime. At all. What are you smoking?

This is closer to A Scanner Darkly than it is to anything anime. Its a semi-roto-scoped cell shaded design.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
e1zqmdmuf0s91.jpg

tchp2gzuf0s91.jpg

high res images
this is fucking DOPE.

damn EA taking risks that art style hate it or love it..
i am impressed

Krathoon

They are using that art technique where they draw over actors. The probably did that to blend actors and 3D models together.
Really, I like live actors.
I guess I am ok with all the Spiderverse graffiti art animations.

I guess you get to model your character this time. Is that new?

Krathoon

I really liked the night and day aspect of Most Wanted and Carbon. Need for Speed 2015 was also nice, but it requires an internet connection.

EDMIX

his is really not "anime" rather its like those roto-scoped animation I sometimes see in adult swim shows.

Well thats not really an either or. Roto-scoped is a type of animation, an "anime" can be done using this method as they are not either ors.

So...I'd say this is very much seeking that Anime style or idea using Roto-scope. You can see that style with how the eyes are in screen 3, why stylize it like that? You can see that anime style in the actual gradation in the smoke with the dots in screen 1 and clearly the decals

So....they very much are going for that Anime and its likely based on the show and manga Initial D as I doubt someone makes this and never references that considering their entire street culture scene. So it sounds like they want to make it have the feel of an anime, but the cars in 3D and use the effects from that genre of anime as Initial D had a whole lot of this in the series, so I want to see more on this to see where they are headed with it.

Maybe they wanted a more eastern approach to sell more in the east or something or open the door for that aka NFS Tokyo Drift 2 D 2 Initial lol

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Well thats not really an either or. Roto-scoped is a type of animation, an "anime" can be done using this method as they are not either ors.

So...I'd say this is very much seeking that Anime style or idea using Roto-scope. You can see that style with how the eyes are in screen 3, why stylize it like that? You can see that anime style in the actual gradation in the smoke with the dots in screen 1 and clearly the decals

So....they very much are going for that Anime and its likely based on the show and manga Initial D as I doubt someone makes this and never references that considering their entire street culture scene. So it sounds like they want to make it have the feel of an anime, but the cars in 3D and use the effects from that genre of anime as Initial D had a whole lot of this in the series, so I want to see more on this to see where they are headed with it.

Maybe they wanted a more eastern approach to sell more in the east or something or open the door for that aka NFS Tokyo Drift 2 D 2 Initial lol
Sure the anime had Flowers of Evil which to me was nightmare fuel....
9c0a2cfd9f09562d6aa5ac2bdce9e7521365540708_large.jpg

But I'm still not fan of style in characters but I do like that smoke effect.

Im not hating it, just donno how jarring it will be to look at a high poly ray traced car and then all these almost 2d characters around it.

Drizzlehell

Banned
I'm digging the new look but I'd have to see more of it in action before being completely sold on it. I don't really get all the bitching about it, though. It's definitely more eye-catching than the absolutely bland and forgettable pseudo-realisic Frostbite engine look of the series from the past 10 years.

Last edited:

Goalus

I'm digging the new look but I'd have to see more of it in action before being completely sold on it. I don't really get all the bitching about it, though. It's definitely more eye-catching than the absolutely bland and forgettable pseudo-realisic Frostbite engine look of the series from the past 10 years.
OT: You're extremely cute.

Piggoro

"Yes, you can turn the effects off. In fact, you can choose to never put them on in the first place. Just like any other part of a car"
So let's say if I'm playing with some online people and I want to play a normal racing game. I supposedly can turn off my own effects, but what about online people effects? Doubt it.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
"Yes, you can turn the effects off. In fact, you can choose to never put them on in the first place. Just like any other part of a car"
So let's say if I'm playing with some online people and I want to play a normal racing game. I supposedly can turn off my own effects, but what about online people effects? Doubt it.
They will be disabled too. You will not see any of those effects.

Krathoon

I imagine the graffiti effects will get annoying after a while. It is like someone is doodling all over your game.
I really wished the game was live action instead of rotoscoping.

I suspect they did that to blend in video with 3D models of the people.

Last edited:

Needlecrash

I got it on PC. On a 3080, it runs very well. Even better on a gsync monitor. I'm getting around 70-80 fps on max settings at 4K.

I turned off those shitty wings effects. But....you can't really turn off all of those effects. You either choose a smoke effect, or you choose all the settings.

Definitely, the game is CRINGE at times. But, it definitely solid. The handling isn't bad. It's not NFS Heat, but I'll get used to it.

Visually I’m not seeing anything a step up from the previous releases in the series from last generation particularly the buildings and traffic. Driving in the rain, it’s barely if any, an improvement on 2015. This isn’t even a cross generation release.

Certinty

Visually I’m not seeing anything a step up from the previous releases in the series from last generation particularly the buildings and traffic. Driving in the rain, it’s barely if any, an improvement on 2015. This isn’t even a cross generation release.
The buildings are definitely very strange, I think the game looks pretty good graphically but the buildings look like PS3 ones and completely bland. Lack of traffic too is very disappointing, I like people walking the streets but it still feels so dead.

The buildings are definitely very strange, I think the game looks pretty good graphically but the buildings look like PS3 ones and completely bland. Lack of traffic too is very disappointing, I like people walking the streets but it still feels so dead.

It’s underwhelming imo. I’m playing the EA trial now and I’m not seeing how this couldn’t be released on PS4/Xbox One. I don’t care for the animation stuff, the game itself isn’t a step up. 2015 had better rain effects or just as good.

Drizzlehell

Banned
God damn it, this game is really pissing me off.

Why am I racing against cars that outclass me and it's impossible to win any race at the start of the game? Also, why is there a limit on the number of times you can restart a race? That last thing really strikes me as some mobile game bullshit. "Buy more restarts for just 2 dollars or come back tomorrow once they refresh!"

Fucking EA, man. I'd say that this series is done but honestly, you could've said that about it by the time Payback came out. This is just pathetic but what's actually shocking about this game is that Criterion made it.

Unbelievable.

Top Bottom