• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nearly all E3 conferences have been announced. Where is Sony?

Will Sony hold a conference in June?

• Yes

Votes: 122 44.2%
  • No

Votes: 154 55.8%

• Total voters

DeepSpace5D

Summer gamefest is just links to other publishers events, it's not like E3 where all the backend is done by them. It's basically Keighley getting his name out there on other people's hard work.
In previous years wasn’t there some announcements specifically made for it though? Could’ve sworn there was, but I’m not sure how things are this year. Anyway even if true, Playstation is one of the partners of it. That should mean they have something to announce on their own in some capacity one would think.

Last edited:

Joey.

I think people are sad that E3 is pretty much gone but that’s not the problem. No one expects them to be at E3 anymore but people expect them to have a big summer showcase not drip feed news.

It’s more that Microsoft and Nintendo are more transparent when it comes to these things.

E3 might be dead but we still know there’s a vibe at this time of year with whatever E3 is today + SummerGameFest, etc. This is a big time for gaming.

Why can’t Sony do the same thing? It doesn’t have to be at E3 but why can’t they give a date for when their showcase is.

Just comes off in bad taste. In my opinion.
And I know they will do have a showcase this summer, but why so silent?
Just riles up fans tbh.

Yoboman

Even if E3 is dying or the ESA is corrupt, that you can do a Direct style video instead and all the blah blah we’ve heard about why Sony doesn’t do E3. The fact is it’s a massive celebration of games

There is nothing stopping Sony from having their own big event with audiences or not at the same time

Fact is, events are a huuge expense and Sony have prioritised squeezing out every penny of profit over the opportunity to engage with fans,the press and gaming community. For them, that couple million extra that will no longer appear as an expense on the balance sheet is worth it.

If you need further proof then just note how they also cancelled the very successful PSX shows at the same time

I don’t rag on Ryan much but this and the PC port nonsense and now the cross gen stuff really just makes me think he is sacrificing the long term viability for short term profit making because he is angling for a bigger role somewhere else. That or his personal bonuses are tied to yearly profits so every corner is cut

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Nope gonna push off the delay of Horzion as long as possible to keep the dream alive.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Too busy putting out GOTY contenders to worry about a dead conference.

Literally, who fucking cares about this E3 circus. They might have typed "Sony" and got censored.

Disrespectful.

Sony is here, and most of the big boys:

E1wYqqFUYAMm685.jpg:large

A celebration that costs more than $30 million? No thanks. Sony would rather celebrate on its own.

That's the idea at least. Their show, their decisions, their money, their timing. It makes sense.

Alphas don't follow, they get followed.

Last edited:

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Legit question but what was the reason why Sony left E3?

Rea

Fuck Jim Ryan. I'm sick of their secretive marketing. They should have said GOW is coming for ps4 and ps5 when they announced, but nope. Gave loyal fans hopes and dreams that GOW is an PS5 exclusive which will take full advantage of next gen PS5 capabilities. And Herman hulst from stupid podcast said "nope, GOW is coming for both ps4 and ps5". Fucking massive Truck load of salts into Sony's Fans asses. My hype for Playstation is just died. Might as well hype for Microsoft, Nintendo and other 3rd pary publishers. Can't wait to see them bringing new games at E3.

Batiman

Banned
Pretty sure they’ll have some kind of show after everyone else. They’ll determine exactly how much they’ll have to show to counter Xbox and Nintendo. If they both kill it Sony might have to reveal more then planned. Maybe some quick teasers etc.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
They'll be there, but do their own streamed show like last year.

I don't think they've done a traditional E3 show since 2016. Since then, they changed to skewing to fewer games and then the banquet hall showcase with the banjo and flute guys making the shows all about first party games.

Love PlayStation and Sony....but their recent lack of transparency and refusal to keep consumers in the loop when it comes to these events ESPECIALLY when all fans are used to E3 season...its kind of infuriating.

I understand that Sony isn't with E3 anymore but they usually still have big showcases around this time so why are they silent??

I expect them to have a showcase later in June/early July and they want to see what others reveal.

Its kind of annoying.
Silent? Sony has been silent?

Wtf was that state of play for Horizon Forbidden West?

NoviDon

Attend E3 or other conference: Spend tens of millions of dollars that could of gone to game development or advertisments, investments, etc. Get tens of millions of views. Old folks are happy they got their traditional media release, but it doesn't equate to more product sales.

Don't attend E3, just release a 40 minute stream to youtube and twitch standing in front of a green screen with graphic slides that an intern made. Budget: 10,000 dollars and a half eaten chicken wing. Gets tens of millions of views. Oldies are upset they don't get the traditional media reveal extravaganza of their youth, but they buy the games anyway.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
They made $25 billion in revenue from PS alone last year fam. $30 million is a drop in the bucket.
Yeah, but it's always the opportunity cost. They have $30 million. What are some of the most productive and effective ways they can spend that money on?

Securing marketing rights, securing timed exclusives, R&D, funding a new indie studio, partially funding a new AAA game, adding a new team of 100 employees to their internal studio for a new game, remasters & remakes ... or E3 celebrations?

E3 celebrations indeed come at the very bottom end of this list. Especially when they can do the same thing at roughly the same time frame with complete autonomy and control and still produce the same results.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
That's fine, they don't need to be directly part of E3 but its E3 "season" and gamers are just so used to this time of year being big updates for consoles and games.
They can do their own big show but why can't they say something like "Hey PS fans, we're going to be having a digital summer showcase on June XX, please join us"
Fans would be so happy with that.
Even tell us that there's no big summer event - we just want to know.
Why keep us on strings??
If they are having a show, they will definitely announce it exactly like this. They even did the same last year. They just do it one week before the event.

Perhaps their internal data team suggests that they get more viewership, engagement, media PR, and hype momentum if they maintain a one-week difference b/w the announcement and the actual event? There could be many reasons, but that's how they do it.

EA has made the announcement of their show 2 months before the event. They will have to create hype from scratch when the time comes because it'd be old news by then.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
They will launch their own event, and announce a surprise acquisition of square enix and capcom.

Its going to be....

girl crying GIF

In previous years wasn’t there some announcements specifically made for it though? Could’ve sworn there was, but I’m not sure how things are this year. Anyway even if true, Playstation is one of the partners of it. That should mean they have something to announce on their own in some capacity one would think.
Of course they do, just a pity they aren't a part of E3 as we would have the big 3 showing stuff soon.

Shubh_C63

Sony after not participating in E3 2020 had State of Play around August right ?
They could do the same and skip the E3 timeframe altogether again.

Kind of a dick move actually.

ElCasual

This damn silence, is better that the PR says "YES we gonna do a State of Play in days of E3 or NO we dont gonna do a State of in days of E3".

kyliethicc

They'll be there, but do their own streamed show like last year.

I don't think they've done a traditional E3 show since 2016. Since then, they changed to skewing to fewer games and then the banquet hall showcase with the banjo and flute guys making the shows all about first party games.
Their E3 show in 2017 was very normal traditional E3 showcase. 2018 was weird and presented oddly, but it was still a normal E3 show in terms of content. Just wasn't a very long show. 2019 was nothing. Sony skipped it all.

The June 2020 showcase was as "normal" of a E3 style showcase as possible for a live stream made from people at home.

scalman

doesnt matter at all how or when or in what platform everyone will announce their games, just do it how you want.. all i care are news , release dates , trailers...

sublimit

Banned
In a few days they will be delivering one of the best games of the year (R&C) and they just showed one of their most impressive games so far (Horizon). I think they want to see if MS has something impressive to show (gameplay not CG) or if they are once again nothing but hot air. If MS doesn't show anything big then Sony's show will be lackluster as well.

Right now it's MS that has the pressure to show something not Sony.

SoraNoKuni

I really liked E3, always getting beers and snacks and staying up really late(I live in europe) to watch the conferences, truth to be told I always liked Sony's presentations more even when I was an xbox user.

I don't know though, in 2021 it just doesn't seem to be as effective as just releasing a state of play or Nintendo Direct, those shows are more to the point and usually more interesting even though the hype is less when you are watching them.

I voted yes, but I don't think Sony will do E3. There will be showcase close by to E3.

Even if they wouldn't have anything to show just whip up some CGI trailers and say wait 1-7 years more. :messenger_weary::messenger_ok:

But that's not the case ..PlayStation and Jimbo always deliver!

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I voted yes, but I don't think Sony will do E3. There will be showcase close by to E3.

Even if they wouldn't have anything to show just whip up some CGI trailers and say wait 1-7 years more. :messenger_weary::messenger_ok:

But that's not the case ..PlayStation and Jimbo always deliver!

People are afraid from Sony not attending E3 because they know they'll spoil all the mini hype that E3 will produce with real hype afterwards with new GOTY games in the making. While they watch and play old games, we'll be playing R&C next week.:messenger_winking_tongue:

Life is easy when you're with the winning team. 🥳

Last edited:
Better idea, save millions thst you’d otherwise have to pay the ESA to be at E3 and host your own instead.

exactly. why rush your teams to get a demo or trailer ready for E3 when you can reduce the stress and do it in your own time and save money? and have as big an impact or even bigger! people keep saying sony are too big for E3 sarcastically but its actually true. do any of you really think sony will be effected by not being at E3? if anything people will be even more hyped for when sony make the announcement for their showcase.

Joey.

Silent? Sony has been silent?

Wtf was that state of play for Horizon Forbidden West?

That Horizon State of Play was amazing, it was amazing for fans of the Horizon franchise like me and you (if you are lol)

But not everyone is a Horizon fan. All fans love the big showcase events with new games for everyone.

Joey.

If they are having a show, they will definitely announce it exactly like this. They even did the same last year. They just do it one week before the event.

Perhaps their internal data team suggests that they get more viewership, engagement, media PR, and hype momentum if they maintain a one-week difference b/w the announcement and the actual event? There could be many reasons, but that's how they do it.

EA has made the announcement of their show 2 months before the event. They will have to create hype from scratch when the time comes because it'd be old news by then.

Fair enough.
I don't want to get things twisted, I'm a huge Sony fan.
Maybe my anxiousness to see their big summer showcase is just getting my hyped through the roof and can't wait.
I'm so excited to see what they got to show.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Attend E3 or other conference: Spend tens of millions of dollars that could of gone to game development or advertisments, investments, etc. Get tens of millions of views. Old folks are happy they got their traditional media release, but it doesn't equate to more product sales.

Don't attend E3, just release a 40 minute stream to youtube and twitch standing in front of a green screen with graphic slides that an intern made. Budget: 10,000 dollars and a half eaten chicken wing. Gets tens of millions of views. Oldies are upset they don't get the traditional media reveal extravaganza of their youth, but they buy the games anyway.
So true, 😂

Umbasaborne

Banned
They wont because they probably dont have much to show. Modern sony doesnt care about announcing games 4-5 years before they are ready anymore: in a way its a blessing and curse. A blessing because i cant fucking stand when games are annouced half a decade too early, and a curse because that means they will likely never have amazing press conferences like they did 4-8 years ago ever again.

people dont want to accept it, but sony is like nintendo now. They are going to only focus on the next two or three first party or exclusive thurd party games coming out for the year. In this case, thats ratchet, deathloop, keana, and maybe horizon (lol that shit is coming in either february or march 2022, lets be real)

i guarantee you they wont show god of war, or gran turismo 7 again until next march at the earliest

Top Bottom