• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nearly all E3 conferences have been announced. Where is Sony?

Will Sony hold a conference in June?

• Yes

Votes: 122 44.2%
  • No

Votes: 154 55.8%

• Total voters
SE reported those sales officially, had they hit 10million they'll sing about it along with Sony but they didn't and it won't happen in 2021

You are correct on one thing, SE did report those numbers....In August 2020:

Joey.

Definitely very annoying. Like CrashNburn said above, it's like they are too good for E3. Like come on, it's a celebration of games. People love that shit. They should know this more than anyone. They literally killed MS at E3 2013 in front of a boisterous crowd and had two legendary back to back conferences in 2015 and 2016. I dont understand Sony. I cant believe I am saying this but Thank god for Microsoft who at least shows up every year.

Technically every E3 is a virtual E3 to me. I have never been to E3. Internet is how Ive enjoyed E3 since I started watching it back in 2000.

Whats up with the penny pinching anyway? They are making more money than ever before. Just pay the ESA whatever they are asking. Your marketing budget can afford it. E3 is covered by every media outlet on earth. Their own streaming events are not. I really dont understand whats going on at Sony.

Exactly. Celebration of games, E3 Season, etc. Us gamers love this time of year....are they that out of touch they don't realize that?
PlayStation is amazing but they need to improve on this department...they are starting to seem too corporate where Microsoft and Nintendo seem more "human" for a lack of a better word.

Last edited:

kinjx11

Banned

THEAP99

Banned
Not sure where they are, but I am getting sick and pretty fucking tired of not knowing when to expect something from them. If they have nothing to show and Horizon is just it then that's sad. Poor fan communication we just can't know what to expect from them, ever. And if Microsoft hits a home run with this E3, then what?

Last edited:

SLB1904

Banned
SE reported those sales officially, had they hit 10million they'll sing about it along with Sony but they didn't and it won't happen in 2021
did sony sing along when gow hit 10 mil? and why 10 mil, sony is random as hell when celebrating numbers. even their successful games (spiderman) dont get this kinda bragging, and let me tell you it would be a easy one

DeepSpace5D

I know Playstation is a part of Geoff Keighley’s summer gamefest at least in some capacity, so there’s that for now. But no official word of a full scale press conference yet.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Definitely very annoying. Like CrashNburn said above, it's like they are too good for E3. Like come on, it's a celebration of games. People love that shit. They should know this more than anyone. They literally killed MS at E3 2013 in front of a boisterous crowd and had two legendary back to back conferences in 2015 and 2016. I dont understand Sony. I cant believe I am saying this but Thank god for Microsoft who at least shows up every year.
A celebration that costs more than $30 million? No thanks. Sony would rather celebrate on its own.

That's the idea at least. Their show, their decisions, their money, their timing. It makes sense.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
And if Microsoft hits a home run with this E3, then what?
Then I'm sure you'll drop a lot of twittard posts from obscure warriors.
shocked drag race GIF by Robert E Blackmon

kinjx11

Banned
did sony sing along when gow hit 10 mil? and why 10 mil, sony is random as hell when celebrating numbers. even their successful games (spiderman) dont get this kinda bragging, and let me tell you it would be a easy one

They did with GOW

Joey.

A celebration that costs more than $30 million? No thanks. Sony would rather celebrate on its own.

That's the idea at least. Their show, their decisions, their money, their timing. It makes sense.

That's fine, they don't need to be directly part of E3 but its E3 "season" and gamers are just so used to this time of year being big updates for consoles and games.
They can do their own big show but why can't they say something like "Hey PS fans, we're going to be having a digital summer showcase on June XX, please join us"
Fans would be so happy with that.
Even tell us that there's no big summer event - we just want to know.
Why keep us on strings??

SLB1904

Banned
They did with GOW
read what i said. sony is random with their announcements. i dont know why you are focusing on 10mil. and how a linkedln profile is synonymous of sony bragging about sales?

I can not blame them for their unwillingness to share the stage with all the others and wanting the spot for themselves, really. It is kinda odd as I have read about, or watched all their E3 shows since the very beginning, but times are changing, and so are they. As for their own virtual event, I expect one either in July or in September...

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
And if Microsoft hits a home run with this E3, then what?
Then good. Gamers win. Hopefully they bring next gen only games with them and really expose Sony's first party efforts. Hopefully Sony will get scared and do the right thing going forward.

Nintendo is about to reveal the Switch Pro and that got me thinking. Why is everyone so excited about a machine that will be held back by a 0.19 tflops docked switch? Just what kind of upgrades can we really expect from this much more powerful machine other than higher resolutions and framerate? And then I remembered the PS5 at the moment is basically comparable to a Switch Pro now that nearly all their big games from Horizon to GoW and GT7 are basically 1.8 tflops games scaled up to run at higher resolutions and framerate on the PS5.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

They made $25 billion in revenue from PS alone last year fam. $30 million is a drop in the bucket.

TheAssist

I dont see a single reason why Sony would want to participate in E3.

The ESA has been an absolute shitshow the past few years. Leaking personal data from thousands of attendees, willingly overlooking and not self regulating loot boxes and demanding hundreds of thousands of dollars for the privilege.

Look how Sony has done without them the past two years. Software, hardware and Services selling better than ever. their social media footprint is the largest it ever was. And at they same time their marketing budget is probably lower than back when they were still doing E3.

This has nothing to do with being arrogant, its just plain business. Attending E3 is a waste of money for Sony. They would literally be paying to give their competitors more exposure. Because most people will tune in for Sony news (and then might see MS or Nintendo news/videos/tweets in their recommended). But those people will tune in whenever Sony is doing an event. And the media will eat it up. And social media will talk about to death. And it will be all about Sony and Sony only.

I totally get that people are sad that the old E3 is gone. I liked it as well, though I think it was always too much. I always watched the big conferences but a lot of the smaller scale stuff just flew by me, so I dont think the directs and state of plays are a bad thing.

Its ok to be sad about losing the old feel of E3, but its dumb to want Sony to attend just because... .

Last edited:

MOTM

Banned
You guys know the drill. All of the E3 shows are going to have a combined total viewership of 2.5 million.
Nintendo BOTW2 will have 12 million and the random Sony State of Play will have 20m
MS E3 shows always beats Sony & Nintendo shows.

Nintendo is just a 40 min prerecorded movie, thats not an E3 conference.
Then they go live for demos, developer interviews, and hours of live gameplay played by the teams that localize and / or develop the games. Most of the time, that's on for 2-3 days, all day.

SantaC

Then they go live for demos, developer interviews, and hours of live gameplay played by the teams that localize and / or develop the games. Most of the time, that's on for 2-3 days, all day.
They havent attended E3 in years. It is not an E3 conference.

kinjx11

Banned
You mean you can't judge quality by sales alone? What's the problem boomer? Why don't play only mobile games? That's where the majority of the current audience is.

Well son, quality should be up there when the freakin' game ads are in your face every month for 3 years, Sony/SE should expect really good sales after that propaganda level of promotions

PS4 Sony Fans: "Sony won E3 multiple years in a row! This is amazing! This is why they're the kings of gaming! Let the memes flow!"
PS5 Sony Fans: "E3 isn't even real, and it's a waste of money for them to show up."

Too many Sony fans just see what Sony says, then make the argument to defend it after the fact. Apparently not a lot of people that decide in advance one way or the other independently.

nowhat

They did with GOW
I don't think getting a scoop off a LinkedIn profile of a Sony employee is the same as Sony, the corporation, bragging about sales. Especially since quoting from your link:

His profile has now been altered to remove the revenue figures

ethomaz

Banned
PS4 Sony Fans: "Sony won E3 multiple years in a row! This is amazing! This is why they're the kings of gaming! Let the memes flow!"
PS5 Sony Fans: "E3 isn't even real, and it's a waste of money for them to show up."

Too many Sony fans just see what Sony says, then make the argument to defend it after the fact. Apparently not a lot of people that decide in advance one way or the other independently.
Sony indeed won a lot of E3 shows in the past.

Sadly E3 become irrelevant way before before the COVID-19.

COVID-19 just killed the already agonizing E3.

Last edited:

yurinka

Sony has a very strong H2 2021 and early 2022 with many exclusives of all types: full, timed, console, AAA, indie plus big multi AAAs with marketing deal... but for many of them we still don't know release dates and for GoWR we still don't even saw gameplay.

I understand that with covid is difficult to set dates in stone, there are delays and may be difficult to make a great 'online conference' like the one they did last year, but I think they will do an online event this summer because they have a lot of announced H2 2021 and early 2022 games to show plus I assume a few important ones stil to be announced, and maybe are ready to announce some big late 2022 game more to be announced.

Maybe they plan to make this even shortly after E3 once they seen what everybody else announced (specially MS and Nintendo) to tweak a few dates and avoid repeating something as what happened before with Horizon and BotW releasing at the same time.

I'm 100% sure they will announce many fighting game related stuff at the EVO finals like every year, and now Sony will be pumping it because many of these games are PS (at least console) exclusive or at least have a marketing deal. A possibility would be to make the event there, but I think they will keep EVO focused on fighting games. Or at least in similar related action genres like hack & slash, beat'em up and so on.

Another option is that since they are already selling out their consoles, have an insanely high amount of MAU on their consoles and sell a ton of games, they don't want to spend hype bullets now and will save them for later once they may help them more.

On top of that, Sony shown Horizon 2 gameplay and will release both Ratched and Guilty Gear Strive just before E3. So people is going to be comparing what Sony releases vs. what others have for the future and I think at least in many cases that will favor Sony.

Sony has gone downhill for me. All the wrong moves lately.
Sure, Jan. They are breaking historical records in all fronts, a sign they are doing an 'awful' job.

Last edited:

Skifi28

Find these people you are talking about and tell them so? Right now you're arguing with yourself for the sake of arguing.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
No need for sony to have a conference ratchet is out before e3 and at the min horizon is looking sketchy to make it this yr apart from that sony prob got nothing else to show for first party due this yr 😂😂😂
If you honestly think Sony has nothing to show, I have a 2 million dollar mansion to sell you for $19.99

Aion002

I think that Sony is on the "wait and see approach".

Is Nintendo revealing a new console? Will Microsoft have a good show?

Everything so far for Sony is going according to the plan so they are probably just waiting to "counter" any possible "threat". I think that an State of Play will soon be announced for the end of the month and the content of it will depend on how Sony is feeling about their competition.

Last edited:
I know Playstation is a part of Geoff Keighley’s summer gamefest at least in some capacity, so there’s that for now. But no official word of a full scale press conference yet.
Summer gamefest is just links to other publishers events, it's not like E3 where all the backend is done by them. It's basically Keighley getting his name out there on other people's hard work 😂

splattered

Not sure where they are, but I am getting sick and pretty fucking tired of not knowing when to expect something from them. If they have nothing to show and Horizon is just it then that's sad. Poor fan communication we just can't know what to expect from them, ever. And if Microsoft hits a home run with this E3, then what?

Then you buy an Xbox and play some good games?

Spitfire098

Trying to save face in their own PSX i guess by showing something new or another FF7R trailer that no one cares about but 40year olds
Wouldn't the middle age example be more justified using Halo. Most of the suburban dads in my office have Halo as their game to get.

Top Bottom